Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

Some dozy cow crashed into my car, so now I need another one. I think I've pretty much made up my mind, but thought I'd throw it open in case anyone has any bright ideas.

I did have an Alfa 156 - which is the most lovely car I've ever driven (and I've driven some fairly nice cars and a LOT of shit ones). I'm planning on getting another one, this one in fact:
https://www.edart.co.uk/trade/img/pic/p76386_3x.jpg
https://www.edart.co.uk/trade/img/pic/p76386_1x.jpg

Any suggestions?

I want to keep it below £3000, since my insurance payoff won't cover much more than that.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6730|St. Andrews / Oslo

pics don't work. (nvm, they work now)

Alfas are great cars, you'll love it no doubt However, how 'bout looking at something more.... German?

Is there some web-site where I can find brittish car prices? They're so much more expensive in Norway.

Last edited by Jenspm (2008-08-05 12:42:27)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|5972|England

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

Jenspm wrote:

pics don't work.

And is there some web-site where I can find brittish car prices? They're so much more expensive in Norway.
They work for me.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

Inside is nice.  Don't know much about British cars, sorry.

Pics do work by the way.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

SamTheMan:D wrote:

I have a 106 at the moment that I've borrowed from work. They are hateful, hateful cars - like all French cars. They handle badly, go slowly and most importantly are unpleasant to drive - mostly due to poor design, like having all the pedals too close together and a rubbish gearstick.
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6736|The Hague, Netherlands

Pics look good but they only show so much as we all know,

was do the meters/indicators (miles driven etc) say?

weren't alfas a bit unreliable, or pretty much a thing from the past.

VW Golf
Honda Civic
Opel Astras

etc
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
pers0nah
Waste Kid
+271|6580|MANCHESTERRR

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Inside is nice.  Don't know much about British cars, sorry.

Pics do work by the way.
alfa is italiannn
oChaos.Haze
+90|6436
This is going to be a really dumb question, but looking at that pic made me think...
Is the clutch still on the left and the gas on the right with the brake in the middle?  I'm guessing it is, but just had to ask.

Car looks nice, interior looks rather clean.  I dig.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

^*AlphA*^ wrote:

Pics look good but they only show so much as we all know,

was do the meters/indicators (miles driven etc) say?

weren't alfas a bit unreliable, or pretty much I think from the past.
It's 2001 (Y-reg) with lots of miles 76K - which is good, because it'll have just had the most expensive service done. Reliability isn't too much of an issue financially, since it comes with a 2 year warranty (and I'll probably get something else by then). Alfas have a bad rep for being unreliable, but my last one was a model of reliability.

^*AlphA*^ wrote:

VW Golf
Honda Civic
Opel Astras
I like Golfs, but I don't like the way they look. I also like Civics and was considering getting one (easy to find them with next to no miles on the clock, because old people buy them loads). Astras, I don't like the look of and I don't like how Vectras drive, so doubt I like that either.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2008-08-05 12:52:06)

oChaos.Haze
+90|6436
Damn a 2 year warranty on a car with 76k?  You better jump on that, or is that commonplace in Europe?  Most cars here that are over 50k come with either pathetic warranties, or sold "AS IS"...

Yeah Civics are probably the most popular car on the market at the moment.  Great gas mileage, reliable, really reliable, and cheap.  All my friends who sell, wholesale and retail, can't keep civics on the lot.

Last edited by oChaos.Haze (2008-08-05 12:55:14)

Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5963|London, England

Steering wheel on the wrong side
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

oChaos.Haze wrote:

Damn a 2 year warranty on a car with 76k?  You better jump on that, or is that commonplace in Europe?  Most cars here that are over 50k come with either pathetic warranties, or sold "AS IS"...

Yeah Civics are probably the most popular car on the market at the moment.  Great gas mileage, reliable, really reliable, and cheap.  All my friends who sell, wholesale and retail, can't keep civics on the lot.
I'm going to. I'm going to be nagging my boss to see if he'll let me head out of work early and put a deposit on it before some other bastard snaps it up.

It's not at all commonplace getting warranties like that in Europe, not on cars that old anyway.
blah
macaroni with cheeseeee
+111|5746|Croatia

Mutantsteak wrote:

I call it fake!
Brasso
+1,549|6628

blah wrote:

Mutantsteak wrote:

I call it fake!
the designers were just dyslexic or something
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

haffeysucks wrote:

blah wrote:

Mutantsteak wrote:

I call it fake!
I hope that's sarcasm.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6718|California

Bertster7 wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

blah wrote:

I call it fake!
I hope that's sarcasm.
Obviously.

I suggest VW's anything tbh
VicktorVauhn
+319|6390|Southern California

Jenspm wrote:

Alfas are great cars, you'll love it no doubt However, how 'bout looking at something more.... German?
E30!

What do you want from the car, and what do you need it to do?
If you can put up with everyone thinking your a homo and have nice weather.... go try some miata, damn good car other then the stigma.

I dunno how much that is in real money, but C4 corvettes are getting pretty cheap now a days. Maybe thats just america, but you can get one for 7-8-9 K
FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6528|Boston, MA
I doubt they are available in England and they aren't the best on gasoline, but I'll still suggest it. I suggest a 95 or 96 Chevrolet Caprice, preferably 96. 95 is notorious for having rear end issues. You can get a 5.7L if you want power and they fly. However, the main reason I recommend it, is simply because it's the smoothest ride you'll ever have. I've had a lot of comments on my Caprice about how smooth it rides and it's incredibly quiet too, at times I actually forget to turn my car off because I can't hear or it feel it running until I step out of my car. Right now I get 15-17mpg (not sure the km per liter conversion) but my car also has A LOT of body damage along with a very bad exhaust. I should get a new exhaust but the body damage discourages me from putting any serious money into it. The other thing is that they last forever. I try to ignore people that talk to me about cars because it's usually about how great Toyota is and I hate Toyota, but one day some guy saw me pull up in front of my house and we talked about the Caprice for like 15 minutes about how he had an old one that lasted over 350k miles easily and he ended up selling it so who knows how long it lasted. But I really don't think you'll ever see one in England so I probably wasted your time for reading this.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6705|67.222.138.85

Bertster7 wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

blah wrote:

I call it fake!
I hope that's sarcasm.
What, do you guys drive on the wrong side of the road or something? What person in their full mental capacity would put the steering wheel over there.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5752|Roma

FrankieSpankie3388 wrote:

I doubt they are available in England and they aren't the best on gasoline, but I'll still suggest it. I suggest a 95 or 96 Chevrolet Caprice, preferably 96. 95 is notorious for having rear end issues......
You can't drive a chevroleth caprice in england, better in any other places than europe.
Europes cities are not suited for cars like a chevrolet caprice, do you have any idea how small are the streetsi n the center of Rome, London, Paris and in any other cities? and lets not forget about parking. Europe is for cars like Smart (I hate it tho), Alfa 146, Fiat 500, Peugoet 306, Toyota yaris or aygo.
Small cars easy to park, easy to drive in cities.

Back on topic, great choice, how much are you going to pay for it?

Last edited by aerodynamic (2008-08-05 14:43:17)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
hawaythelads
We are PREMIER LEAGUE!
+84|6485|Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Jenspm wrote:

Is there some web-site where I can find brittish car prices? They're so much more expensive in Norway.
Autotrader

Theres some nice cars for that price range its just finding them, I like the vauxhall astras.
Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6718|Scotland
VW. Do it.

From experience, they have a solid build and handle brilliantly.
https://www.pistonheads.com/pics/news/14288/vw_golf_r32_2006-L.jpg
Computer_Guy
+54|6695
Nissan GTR
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6618|Mhz

If you want a 156 try find a 156GTA (you're lookin at 8k for one of those though), other than that I can only reccomend a Golf GTi (or the R32 above but I cant see you finding that for £3k).

EDIT: Or you could get a good 206 GTi or CC, I love my 206 to bits.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2008-08-05 15:31:24)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard