ATG
Banned
+5,233|6533|Global Command
We were doing the final approach into Erie when suddenly the plane circle off and flew out over the lake.

At least myself and a passenger in front of me noticed and he asked the attendant what was up and she smiled and said " the pilot hasn't said there's a problem. "

About two minutes later the capitan comes on and says " Sorry about circling out folks, one of our flaps has failed. It's stuck at 20% instead of the 45% it should be, but that's no big deal and we'll have you down in a few minutes. You'll notice fire trucks on your left, but that is standard procedure. "

I'm like " Holy shit! "

But we landed okay.  I think those were his exact words. " one of our flaps has failed. "
Not what you want to hear.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5968|London, England

ATG wrote:

You'll notice fire trucks on your left, but that is standard procedure
How calming, where did you go ATG?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Stimey
­
+786|6123|Ontario | Canada
Lol, I would have been terrified. At least you got down safely
I hear its safer flying in a plane than driving in a car.
­
­
­
­
­
­
Mutantbear

Stimey wrote:

Lol, I would have been terrified. At least you got down safely
I hear its safer flying in a plane than driving in a car.
statistically, but since more people drive than fly daily then there's bound to be more accidents in a car
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6156|what

There's any number of flaps on an aircraft like that. He would have checked his manual or asked ground control and compensated with all other available flaps and air breaks.

Qantas had a hydrollic failure in which the fluid was spilling out of one of the wings and was clearly visible by the passengers.

That would have had me worried. Especially since the hydrollics is linked to so many systems.

Glad your okay though.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6533|Global Command

Mutantsteak wrote:

ATG wrote:

See my sig.
Mutantbear

ATG wrote:

Mutantsteak wrote:

ATG wrote:

See my sig.
Oh, I assumed you were coming back to erie, I have no idea where you live, what brings you out in PA?
Whiplash
Future Aviator
+40|5784|Central Texas
Meh, not really a big deal. Would have sucked if the plane's hydraulics failed or landing gear.
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6521|USA
*fap* failure? nothing new ATG
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6529|South Florida
ATG, your about 4 speeding-on-the-highway hours away from me.
15 more years! 15 more years!
Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6634|New Hampshire, USA
The flaps in the plane im learning to fly in are manual.  Its like an e-brake that is between the seats and it pulls the flaps out via a wire.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6293|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

be happy the flap was stuck extended rather than retracted

at the least, at 20 degrees, it'll still keep the plane up in the air at low speeds
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6676|Colorado
atleast we didn't hear about your death on fox news.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6626|Little Bentcock
Lucky it wasn't anything serious, I have had something like that happen once, although it wouldn't extend. Circled a few times and the pilot got it working. It was ok though because I didn't want to get off the plane yet
Defiance
+438|6674

Last airplane malfunction that effected me was a light in the landing gear compartment went out. Apparently they needed to use the light to check the dark area for problems after they're retracted so we sat grounded for 3.5 hours looking for a bulb that could work in my Maglite. Turns out they didn't have any spares anywhere nearby so they scrapped one off of a plane from Seattle that landed. We actually waited for an hour and a half for this other plane to take off before it flew to us and we could get the part.

Surely not dangerous, but massively annoying as fuck.
kptk92
u
+972|6412|tc_london
At least you are alive :>
wensleydale8
+81|6773|LEEDS!!!!!, Yorkshire
it is possible to land without flaps given a long enough runway and it will be a shallow flare before landing but flap failure is nothing compared to engine failure.

When ive being learning to fly we turned the engine off for about 10 mins to simulate filure

Last edited by wensleydale8 (2008-08-04 05:27:18)

Dear God please let my karma one day reach 100, whether it be tomorrow or 1000 years in the future i want it to happen.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6541|Long Island, New York
Happens a lot. This, or something similar, probably happens 30-40 times in a pilot's career. And each time they know how to handle it.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6624|London, England

-=]NS[=-Eagle wrote:

The flaps in the plane im learning to fly in are manual.  Its like an e-brake that is between the seats and it pulls the flaps out via a wire.
too right in my day all we had was a piece of string bought for farthing from the local butchers, none of those hydraulic nonsense or.....electronic gizmongrey

and if the string broke you simply tied a knot and went on your ways none of that emergency oxygen masks or.....or firetrucks at the landing strip or any of that, no things were better in my day

Last edited by Mek-Stizzle (2008-08-04 05:31:45)

Mavik
+22|5780|Germany

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

*fap* failure? nothing new ATG
Unmature sense of humor in this one sense I do. ;o)
Mavik
+22|5780|Germany

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

-=]NS[=-Eagle wrote:

too right in my day all we had was a piece of string bought for farthing from the local butchers, none of those hydraulic nonsense or.....electronic gizmongrey

and if the string broke you simply tied a knot and went on your ways none of that emergency oxygen masks or.....or firetrucks at the landing strip or any of that, no things were better in my day
In your days even the future was better!!
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6624|London, England

Mavik wrote:

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

-=]NS[=-Eagle wrote:

In your days even the future was better!!
Maybe for Germany it was

wait...
Mavik
+22|5780|Germany

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

Maybe for Germany it was

wait...
The better days of Germany began, when this island of yours seperated from the rest of the continent!!

(No, no - all hugs and puppies!! ^^)
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6443|Brisbane, Australia

Glad to hear you are ok ATG, but I must admit the title made me lol
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6582|Columbus, OH
Dude your "Most Played Kit" is an Engineer, why didn't you break out the wrench & walked out on the wing?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard