lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA
I have always placed America as a nation that has taken the high road, even knowing our past is checkered and full of hypocrisy. Now, I am reading a book called "Flyboys". It was written by the author of "Flags of Our Fathers" and is a very good book about some airmen that went missing during the war in the Pacific.

Before it gets to their story however, it goes into the history of Japan and its relationship with the US and the events that transpired leading up to WW2. Although I am not done with the book yet, I am very disturbed by the actions of the US in the Pacific around the turn of the century especially in the Philippines. America had a policy toward the Philippines that was apparently no better than that of Japans policy toward China.

Read the book, it has really shed some light on American history that is not very well known, in the US anyway. I was already defenseless as you well know, in our nations history of expansionism on the American continent. I was however completely ignorant as to what America actually did in the Pacific at the turn of the century. Very very disturbing for me to read this book amd the light it has shed on more of our expansionist history.
Anyway read the book it is called "Flyboys" and I can hardly put it down.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6759

is there a documentary or something?  i hate reading books.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

usmarine wrote:

I dunno, maybe you oculd look up some shit on the internet. I was gunna after I finished the book, but man, it is humbling to find out that we were no better than anyone else during the expansionist era of our history.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6759

lowing wrote:

it is humbling to find out that we were no better than anyone else during the expansionist era of our history.
well, i think i already knew that tbh.  not to be an asshole, but have you been in a cave or something?
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6687|Tampa Bay Florida
Is that the one with George HW Bush in it?

Last edited by Spearhead (2008-08-01 11:32:26)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

usmarine wrote:

lowing wrote:

it is humbling to find out that we were no better than anyone else during the expansionist era of our history.
well, i think i already knew that tbh.  not to be an asshole, but have you been in a cave or something?
Nope, I just never understood the extent of our cruelty in the Pacific. The extent of our hypocrisy. Read the book you will be shocked
jord
+2,382|6676|The North, beyond the wall.

usmarine wrote:

By it on tape, try and get it with Sean Connerys voice.
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6105|Birmingham, UK
"Kill and burn! And the more you kill and burn the more you will please me!"

General Jacob Smith, 1901.

"The more Indians we can kill this year, the less will have to be killed next year. The more i see of these Indians, the more sure i am they have to be killed."

General William Tecumseh, US Army.

"I sent the US Army a good boy and they turned him into a murderer."

Mother of a My Lai killer.

"No bid deal"

William Calley, US Army, shortly after the My Lai 4 massacre.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6321|New Haven, CT

SEREVENT wrote:

Was that the US army or the Vietnam War? I don't think the army told him to massacre innocent civilian. Frustration at fighting against such an elusive enemy might.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

lowing wrote:

usmarine wrote:

lowing wrote:

Nope, I just never understood the extent of our cruelty in the Pacific. The extent of our hypocrisy. Read the book you will be shocked
Lowing, much of our foreign policy outlook of the early 20th century has not changed, especially in regards to the Monroe Doctrine and "spheres of influence".  It is much easier to understand and swallow these decisions in hindsight, but hopefully reading books like this will allow you to take a look from a new perspective to many of the decisions our government makes today.

I've never read the book, but I may check it out.  Not too big into the WW2 stories, even if they are non-fiction.
Commie Killer
+192|6385

SEREVENT wrote:

"The more Indians we can kill this year, the less will have to be killed next year. The more i see of these Indians, the more sure i am they have to be killed."

"No bid deal"

Pull your head out of your ass, I could find the same dumbass comments made by your own military.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

usmarine wrote:

Most books are available in audio format.

lowing wrote:

America had a policy toward the Philippines that was apparently no better than that of Japans policy toward China.
A little extreme I think. I can't remember an American version of the "rape of nanking". Although the Japanese internment camps were pretty messed up.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6105|Birmingham, UK

Commie Killer wrote:

SEREVENT wrote:

"No bid deal"

Pull your head out of your ass, I could find the same dumbass comments made by your own military.
Lol.

By all means do. See if i, or any other people care. You're the only person to be openly hostile to my quotes.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6764|UK

usmarine wrote:

i hate reading books.
lol
JahManRed
wank
+646|6626|IRELAND

The way all the world super powers acted towards less developed nations in the run up to ww1 and ww2 was disgraceful. Germany, UK, Spain, Portugal, USA all were as equally expansionist and as brutal in the run up to ww1. The victors did write the history books with regards to ww1.

The exploitation of nations hasn't stopped tho. Maybe not as brutal but still exploitation none the less.
Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6629|New Hampshire, USA
Flyboys is an excellent book, but it is chock full of cannibolism
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

Kmarion wrote:

usmarine wrote:

lowing wrote:

America had a policy toward the Philippines that was apparently no better than that of Japans policy toward China.
A little extreme I think. I can't remember an American version of the "rape of nanking". Although the Japanese internment camps were pretty messed up.
Not extreme at all, the book spells it out. It is not in a format that is "America bashing" but simply historical as it happened. I do not get the impression that the author has an agenda other than to tell it like it really was during this time period leading up to WW2.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

-=]NS[=-Eagle wrote:

Flyboys is an excellent book, but it is chock full of cannibolism
You finished it, what did you think about the expansionist actions of the US during that era? Were you as shocked and surprised as I am now while I read it?
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6669|UK
How do you feel about the expansionist actions of the US now?
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6341|tropical regions of london
We did a lot of fucked up shit in the phillipines.  The 7th Cav was fighting in that one.
Home
Section.80
+447|6845|Seattle, Washington, USA

I read it last summer, pretty good.

JahManRed wrote:

The way all the world super powers acted towards less developed nations in the run up to ww1 and ww2 was disgraceful. Germany, UK, Spain, Portugal, USA all were as equally expansionist and as brutal in the run up to ww1. The victors did write the history books with regards to ww1.

The exploitation of nations hasn't stopped tho. Maybe not as brutal but still exploitation none the less.
Right, most first world countries are or have been guilty of mistreating third world occupants during eras of expansionism. Any country that attended the Berlin Conference is guilty, and then some because there weren't any East-Asian countries present. Actually, Belgium perpetrated the most brutal colonization of Africa out of all the countries who had a stake in it (they had the Congo).

Last edited by Home (2008-08-01 15:10:59)

Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6704|67.222.138.85
I would not call present day actions imperialism like what was seen in the early 20th century. Many parallels can be drawn in the application of foreign policy, but the goals are different. Not to say we have the lofty goals some politicians would like us to believe, but we aren't trying to rebuild a nation because they are incompetent, we are doing it because they have been abused for decades and their standard of living is shit. I don't believe it is so much an issue of white man's burden.
Home
Section.80
+447|6845|Seattle, Washington, USA

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I would not call present day actions imperialism like what was seen in the early 20th century. Many parallels can be drawn in the application of foreign policy, but the goals are different. Not to say we have the lofty goals some politicians would like us to believe, but we aren't trying to rebuild a nation because they are incompetent, we are doing it because they have been abused for decades and their standard of living is shit. I don't believe it is so much an issue of white man's burden.
Do you truly believe that we involve ourselves with 3rd world countries solely to make amends for abuse and raise their standard of living?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

lowing wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

usmarine wrote:

lowing wrote:

Not extreme at all, the book spells it out. It is not in a format that is "America bashing" but simply historical as it happened. I do not get the impression that the author has an agenda other than to tell it like it really was during this time period leading up to WW2.
I haven't read the book so I'm unaware of what specific event that is comparable to this. (I'm genuinely curios)

Btw I finished a book last month that might also interest you. http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Hidden-H … 0061118184
Xbone Stormsurgezz
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

Kmarion wrote:

lowing wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

usmarine wrote:

I haven't read the book so I'm unaware of what specific event that is comparable to this. (I'm genuinely curios)

Btw I finished a book last month that might also interest you. http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Hidden-H … 0061118184
in the PI the military had orders to kill every man woman child "over the age of 10". The soldiers had no problem doing it. Now when I compared the this to Japan and China, I was referring to the number of dead, and the callous approach the troops had in carrying out their orders, but no, it does not mention experimentation of the people.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard