(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6821|Grapevine, TX

another breitbart.com story wrote:

Eleven US soldiers were killed in Iraq in July, the lowest monthly toll since the 2003 invasion, according Pentagon figures, highlighting what US commanders say is a marked drop in overall violence. The number compares with the deadliest month of November 2004 when 137 American troops were slain, an independent toll by icasualties.org showed. The previous low was in May this year when 19 soldiers were killed.

Since the US-led invasion of March 2003 that toppled now executed dictator Saddam Hussein, a total of 4,125 US troops have been killed in Iraq, according to independent website icasualties.org.

The downward trend began in the middle of last year after a US troop "surge", although there were two spikes in bloodshed in March and April when fierce fighting erupted between Shiite militiamen and US-led forces.

Icasualties.org said the number of Iraqi civilian dead fell to 302 in July, the lowest since April 2005, from 373 in June while the toll among Iraqi security forces rose in July to 91 from 77.

The commander of US forces in Iraq, General David Petraeus, said in an interview published two days ago that overall violence was falling to almost "normal" levels.

But he warned that the trend could be reversed by "sensational attacks" such as two bombings on Monday that rocked Baghdad and the northern oil hub of Kirkuk in which about 56 Iraqis were killed and more than 200 wounded.

"If you could reduce these sensational attacks further, I think you are almost approaching a level of normal or latent violence," Petraeus told USA Today.

"The fact that the levels of violence have come down so significantly and stayed down now for some two-and-a-half months... indicates there is a degree of durability."

Icasualties.org estimates that a total of 42,922 civilians have died since it began tallying figures in March 2005, but warns that its count cannot be verified, and the actual toll is much higher.

The United States and Iraq are still trying to hammer out an agreement governing US troops levels in the country beyond 2008 when the UN mandate covering the presence of foreign soldiers expires.

In principle, Thursday was the deadline set in November by US President George W. Bush and Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki to sign a Status of Forces Agreement.

Maliki this month shook the White House by saying he was in favour of setting a date for the withdrawal of US combat troops in Iraq, where the US force currently totals about 142,500.

The White House said earlier this month it did not think Baghdad and Washington would meet the July 31 deadline for the pact, which could be a few days or a couple of weeks ago.

Iraqi Interior Minister Jawad Bolani said on Monday that he believed they were "moving in the right direction" towards concluding an agreement, despite some opposition in Iraq.

Radical anti-American Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr said in a statement on Thursday that he objected to a deal with the "occupier" and urged Iraqis to stand up against the pact.

Asked whether Iraqi troops could fill the void created by a US withdrawal, Bolani said the issue was being evaluated by his ministry against factors such as experience and training of Iraqi forces.

To date 10 of Iraq's 18 provinces have been handed over to the Iraqis.

"After all that perhaps we can determine, look into the issue of decreasing the forces or decreasing the amount of personnel there," he said, adding that Iraqi forces had demonstrated their ability to contain the "threat of terrorism."
and yeah this vid was posted in 2006. GG OIF dissenters.

Last edited by (T)eflon(S)hadow (2008-07-31 11:40:40)

(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6821|Grapevine, TX
Is something wrong with ma thread?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6753

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

yes.  its not doom and gloom.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

usmarine wrote:

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

yes.  its not doom and gloom.
Did you get a job at American Airlines?
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6175|Ireland
Iraq is a financial disaster and will be the end of the US as a superpower.  Bush sold out the US and my kid's future for Iraq and Mexicans. 

Sorry, but spending US money to tear down an oil rich country just to rebuild it with US money will always equal failure for the US.  Our leaders are fucking idiots and should all be hung for treason against MY country.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Iraq is a financial disaster and will be the end of the US as a superpower.  Bush sold out the US and my kid's future for Iraq and Mexicans. 

Sorry, but spending US money to tear down an oil rich country just to rebuild it with US money will always equal failure for the US.  Our leaders are fucking idiots and should all be hung for treason against MY country.
Wow, that's your best post so far.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6663|UK
no it isnt.

Human life > poxy american economy
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina
I honestly don't give a shit what happens to Iraq other than that we can set up something that allows us to leave.  Granted, with that base there and that fortress of an embassy, chances are we'll keep a large amount of troops there for quite some time, regardless of whether or not Iraq becomes completely stable.

Afghanistan should really get more attention from our forces at this point though.  That's where the real war is being fought.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6663|UK
It will be blackhole (in a non racist context) for US tax dollas for sometime yet.  While it wont bring down the American Economy it certainly wont be helping it either.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire

Lotta_Drool wrote:

I agree with Lotta_Drool and it's not out of any kind of US hating bias or desire to see the US fail. It's because the US should be spending money on itself right now, not on a country half the world away that never asked for America's help to begin with. Also ten families lives being ruined is hardly cause for celebration, a more sensible and less aggressive foreign policy could have had us in a position where no families lives were ruined this month.
¦TØP¦ Rommel1l
+8|6294

Lotta_Drool wrote:

The people pulling the strings have a plan much greater than anything you can comprehend.
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6175|Ireland

¦TØP¦ Rommel1l wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

The people pulling the strings have a plan much greater than anything you can comprehend.
Send it to me and I will look it over.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

The people with the plan don't even know what it is.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
topthrill05
+125|6570|Rochester NY USA

¦TØP¦ Rommel1l wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Was that greater plan to attack Iran?

I think if you listen to Bush he genuinely wants democracy throughout the Middle East and he feels by planting a democracy in two countries then possibly it will spread. At least thats the theory.

I think the whole "We went their for oil" argument is merely a perk for them, it's really an idealogical thing.

But 4125 American lives so Bush can have a legacy? Fuck him and his whole administration, and fuck whoever supported him now or in the past. (Yes that includes me.) When one looks at the massive god fucked mess we are in, on so many levels from immigration to national debt one has to wonder how people even show the man respect. No it's not all his fault but I haven't seen any progress in at least 4 years, except for the war and honestly its about time the billions we have dumped in there paid off.

Btw Social Security........... Yeah thats the most I've heard about it as well. Excuse the off topic rant and bitching, long day at work.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS
I don't think part of the plan was to give Iran massive leverage over what the world does.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6833|Cologne, Germany

I find it sad that 19 dead US servicemen/women and 302 dead iraquis in july is supposed to be a "normal" level of violence. I bet the families of those victims don't feel the same way as Gen. Petraeus.

The only interesting part about the Iraq fiasco for me is, that we will finally see wether a muslim country has the potential to become a true democracy according to western standards. Wether this "experiment" was worth the lives of so many US soldiers, and iraqui civilians, is something different, of course...

And as far as security is concerned, I think it could be argued that the US mainland would be just as safe today, if you had invested half of what you have put into Iraq into improving domestic security. You could then have invested the other half into stuff like protecting the environment, or public schools, or healthcare, or research for alternative energy, i.e. things that will really affect the well-being of America on the long run.

But that's just me, of course.

I tip my hat to every soldier that has the courage to carry out their government's policy in some ME shithole. But I still think they have been mislead.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard