BVC
+325|6688
Do you ever feel that both you as an individual, and society as a whole are becoming somewhat desensitised to stuff you/we really shouldn't ignore?

Yesterday there was a bomb scare in my city, and I only found out about it today.  Yesterday I was walking to work as usual, down the same route I always take.  Around mid day today I checked my email, and got an email from a friend telling me about the scare, and that her building was evacuated.  The thing is, the bomb site was no more than 2 blocks from where I live, and at one point during my usual work-walk route I was less than half a block from the device (which was at the very least, designed to look like a bomb).  I laughed when I read the email, and still don't care.  I know this may sound weird, but my lack of concern worries me a little.

Have you had a similar experience?  What are your thoughts?
Mavik
+22|5769|Germany
Lack of concern would be entering an evacuated building with bomb threat on it.
I think it is quite healthy not to worry about something that could have been - especially if could not have known/done anything about it.

And: It is exactly what terrorism is about. Not the killing of people but their fear of being killed at any time and any place.
The cuts to our freedom with every new "anti terrorism law" and everything - it just plays into their hands by making us feel insecure and vulnerable. It is still more likely to catch a nasty lethal disease, to be hit by car, to crash in a plane by accident or technical/human failure than to be blown away in a terrorist bombing.

In closing: if you do not care in the least - why did you post this?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

We've become desensitised to what we see on television, but it's another matter in real life.

I was running late for uni a few weeks ago, so got my dad to drive me to the train station. When we got there we saw a number of police, ambulances and emergency crews. Someone had leaped onto the platform and committed suicide.

Had I been on time I would've seen it and felt terrible, but even thinking about it I still get a sick feeling in my stomach.

My dad works with RailCorp and was able to find out what had happened. The poor person had jumped infront of the xpt (express long distance only train) and been decapitated.

They even leaped from about where I usually stand to get onto the train.

Had I saw that it would've stuck with me the rest of my life.

No amount of violence on tv or video games would have changed that or how I would have felt.

Last edited by TheAussieReaper (2008-07-31 02:03:39)

https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6834|Cologne, Germany

it depends. I think we have become accustomed to a certain amount of violence on screen, for example in the news, or in fictional works.

To experience real violence or death personally, is something completely different. More intense, more shocking, more disturbing.

But that doesn't mean you need to be worried all the time that something might happen to you. You have only limited control over what happens to you anyway. As Mavik has said, if you worry too much, and go out of your way to avoid any possible threat, the terrorists are winning.
Follow common sense, the rest is in god's hands. And if you don't believe in god, well then at least the stats are on your side. The rest is coincidence.
And nothing you can do about that.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6664|UK
you'll start to care when bits of shrapnel are lodged in your ass. 

More to the point the stats of dieing from a terrorist attack are so low, it not worth worrying about it.  There maybe also a innate belief of refusing to submit into terrorist demands and doctrine.  Refusing to feel terrorised would mean a big fat F on their terrorist homework paper.

Anyway you're more likely to die from a rouge bathtub apparently.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6283|Éire
I remember loads of bomb scares as a child during visits into Northern Ireland during the troubles and you do get desensitised after a while. It's the same with having a gun shoved in your face every time you cross the border with a Rep. of Ireland number plate on your car. It's the same with pretty much everything, I've been dragged into a lot of fights in my time (not through any fault of my own - I hate people who go around looking for trouble) and I remember a time when I used to get the shakes about 20 minutes after a fight, scarily that doesn't really happen anymore, I just feel pretty much as normal afterwards.

Nowadays I think a lot of people have become desenstised to racism against Muslims and Arabs. The media has made it seem fair game to make general, defamatory statements about these ethnic groups and the so called 'war on terror' has given everyone the illusion that they are justified in holding such negative viewpoints...but that's probably a debate for another day.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6735|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
my earliest memory is the explosion of a 500Lb bomb going off and the glass in the window smashing from the pressure & being blown in around me in the bath cutting my mothers arm as she was bathing me.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6283|Éire

IG-Calibre wrote:

my earliest memory is the explosion of a 500Lb bomb going off and the glass in the window smashing from the pressure & being blown in around me in the bath cutting my mothers arm as she was bathing me.
The good old days eh! I remember my mum trying to explain to me while we were locked in a shopping centre in Derry why we couldn't leave because there were two large angry groups who didn't like each other fighting outside!
IG-Calibre
comhalta

Braddock wrote:

The good old days eh!
TBH i've stood at too many graves man, shared the pain of lives shattered and destroyed, hearts broken to ever make light of it.. know what I mean?
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6283|Éire

IG-Calibre wrote:

Braddock wrote:

The good old days eh!
TBH i've stood at too many graves man, shared the pain of lives shattered and destroyed, hearts broken to ever make light of it.. know what I mean?
Fair enough. Not everyone can be like Patrick Kielty i suppose.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6493|so randum
my dad says he got totally used to having guns shoved into his face, getting kicked off on forhaving different religious views and seeing things getting blown up.

he was present at the enniskillen bombing though, he says he's a changed man after that.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6336|tropical regions of london

Pubic wrote:

Do you ever feel that both you as an individual, and society as a whole are becoming somewhat desensitised to stuff you/we really shouldn't ignore?

Yesterday there was a bomb scare in my city, and I only found out about it today.  Yesterday I was walking to work as usual, down the same route I always take.  Around mid day today I checked my email, and got an email from a friend telling me about the scare, and that her building was evacuated.  The thing is, the bomb site was no more than 2 blocks from where I live, and at one point during my usual work-walk route I was less than half a block from the device (which was at the very least, designed to look like a bomb).  I laughed when I read the email, and still don't care.  I know this may sound weird, but my lack of concern worries me a little.

Have you had a similar experience?  What are your thoughts?
I wouldnt really call that desensitized.

Last edited by God Save the Queen (2008-07-31 15:13:35)

IG-Calibre
comhalta

Braddock wrote:

IG-Calibre wrote:

Braddock wrote:

The good old days eh!
Fair enough. Not everyone can be like Patrick Kielty i suppose.
aye, thank goodness

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard