Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6353|West NY
Okay, so basically I wasn't sure what to make the thread name...I just want to well...chat, so to speak..although I do have a few questions and...yeah...

I guess I made this thread out of my unhappiness. Well...I'm not sure where to start so I guess I'll put this out there. I'm not sure what I want to do in life. I don't have any goals or major inspirations...I like things I like and I'm not major about anything. I'm 15 and soon will be starting my Sophomore year of high school. I don't have a career path chosen. I remember hearing not to put down others' dreams because those without them will never accomplish much. I completely feel like this. I feel like because I have no inspiration or ultimate goals I'm going to be a failure at life...will I be? Ever since my freshman year ended all I've done all summer is wasted my life away on my pc and 360. I'm totally unactive and eat unhealthily and fear I'm just going to become some fat slob who focuses his life around his pathetic career that he didn't want to do and then coming home to play his pc everynight just like I've been doing all summer, and I know it's not what I want to do, being in front of this monitor all the time isn't all that fun but I do it anyway. Right now I'm kinda brain dead...stayed up too late again...any thoughts are appreciated. I'm not entirely sure why I made this post...maybe it was just for me to notice subconciously what's going on.
Even if you don't have much constructive to say, say it. Thanks.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6129|North Tonawanda, NY
If I were you, I would try not using the computer for a week.  Force yourself to do something constructive -- build a model, go for a bike ride, read some books, etc...  Just do something that will stimulate your mind and body.  If you can do that for a week and not default to wasting time in front of the computer/TV/console, you'll probably feel better.

As for not knowing your career path, don't worry about that.  Most people in college don't have a career path selected.  Just expand your horizons and try something new!
A12345
+77|6469
i didnt know what i wanted to do at 15 either, i never knew anyone that had a solid idea of where they were going to be in the future at that age. as for everything else, start eating healthy, get off the games and get active. i know a guy who is 15 and he feels hes losing intelligence by playing too much 360, so hes selling it. he also eats bad, so now hes making diet changes to eat healthier. he spent too much time playing games and watching tv until i got him to go to no gi bjj with me and now hes submission grappling 4-5 times a week, thatll get you active quick. just start making changes, however small, and things may get better for you.
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6353|West NY
Thanks guys..
I appreciate it

Last edited by Noobpatty (2008-07-21 11:28:32)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6554
I would echo what SenorToenails has to say: give the computer and 360 a rest. Go cold turkey for a while. Focus on making yourself fit. Believe me the dopamine and adrenalin buzz from working out and from engaging in sports will lift your spirits no end. It will give you something to focus on other than self pity and when the focus has shifted you can put your mind to thinking about what you might like to do with your life. Most people do not have a fixed and rigid gameplan with respect to life, especially early on, and those that do often find their plans scuppered. You are stuck in a rut and you just need to focus on other activities to lift yourself out of it and to expose yourself to all the other things life has to offer (outside of PCs and 360s). Once you realise what you're missing out on your tune will change dramatically. You just need a little alternative perspective, the problem being that when you're in a rut you cannot think of any other perspective on life - only doom and gloom. It's very comfortable to stay in a rut - it ain't so easy to make a concerted effort to get out of it. You just have to grit your teeth and do it and you'll find it ain't that bad.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-07-21 11:34:24)

topal63
. . .
+533|6717

Noobpatty wrote:

Okay, so basically I wasn't sure what to make the thread name...I just want to well...chat, so to speak..although I do have a few questions and...yeah...

I guess I made this thread out of my unhappiness. Well...I'm not sure where to start so I guess I'll put this out there. I'm not sure what I want to do in life. I don't have any goals or major inspirations...I like things I like and I'm not major about anything. I'm 15 and soon will be starting my Sophomore year of high school. I don't have a career path chosen. I remember hearing not to put down others' dreams because those without them will never accomplish much. I completely feel like this. I feel like because I have no inspiration or ultimate goals I'm going to be a failure at life...will I be? Ever since my freshman year ended all I've done all summer is wasted my life away on my pc and 360. I'm totally unactive and eat unhealthily and fear I'm just going to become some fat slob who focuses his life around his pathetic career that he didn't want to do and then coming home to play his pc everynight just like I've been doing all summer, and I know it's not what I want to do, being in front of this monitor all the time isn't all that fun but I do it anyway. Right now I'm kinda brain dead...stayed up too late again...any thoughts are appreciated. I'm not entirely sure why I made this post...maybe it was just for me to notice subconciously what's going on.
Even if you don't have much constructive to say, say it. Thanks.
GG, you sound like my son.

Well son, I've told you this at least a hundred fucking times this summer already turn that damn computer and xbox 360 off and go outside!

Go play with the family dog.
Go for a bike ride.
I bought you a membership to the gym - GO!
Also stop eating in your room. I am sick of the garbage, crumbs, stains, and so on. I've told you a thousand times - no eating in your room, especially that garbage you eat. It's just empty calories. It will make you fat, give you zits and that couldn't possibly help you with your self esteem.

Hypothetically speaking of course if you were my son I'd be giving you a hard time about your voluntarily submitted-to isolation. You know that's what they do to the hardest hardened criminals in prison - when they need to punish them? So stop with this voluntarily submitted-to self inflicted punishment. I am only giving you hard time because I care (hypothetically speaking of course if you were my son).

Last edited by topal63 (2008-07-21 11:40:33)

Roc18
`
+655|5790|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

SenorToenails wrote:

If I were you, I would try not using the computer for a week.  Force yourself to do something constructive -- build a model, go for a bike ride, read some books, etc...  Just do something that will stimulate your mind and body.  If you can do that for a week and not default to wasting time in front of the computer/TV/console, you'll probably feel better.

As for not knowing your career path, don't worry about that.  Most people in college don't have a career path selected.  Just expand your horizons and try something new!
read a book lol. Sounds like you have alot of free time, if you have freinds call them up and do something like chill at the mall or their house or play sports with them. If you want to do things alone then yes try to occupy yourself for a whole day reading books or building plane models or community service or working for charity or planting trees if you want to get away from the tv/computer, all which aren't practical for 15 year old today tbh.

Last edited by Roc18 (2008-07-21 11:34:42)

NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6341|Atlanta, Georgia
Man im telling you once you get a job and a vehicle and start driving you wont have time for a computer. It's just a phase more kids are going through. Trust me.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6735|Salt Lake City

Most college kids change their major like 3-4 times before they actually graduate, so don't feel bad about not really knowing what you want to do.  I would suggest that you make sure your social skills are in tact.  The difference between high school and college is quite large and you will need those social skills. 

I would also get a job as soon as possible.  Get a feeling for what it feels like to have to be responsible.  To have to punch an alarm clock and be on time to some place, lest you lose your job.  Trust me, when you're 15 and in high school, they can't really kick you out unless you fuck up major bad, and your parents provide for your other needs.  Learning to be responsible and handle responsibility will be key to making your way through college to get that education, but managing your school and work so that you can still have some fun.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Roc18 wrote:

read a book lol. Sounds like you have alot of free time, if you have freinds call them up and do something like chill at the mall or their house or play sports with them. If you want to do things alone then yes try to occupy yourself for a whole day reading books or building plane models or community service or working for charity or planting trees if you want to get away from the tv/computer, all which aren't practical for 15 year old today tbh.
Maybe doing things that stimulate the mind aren't practical for you, but not everyone thinks reading a book or building a model on a rainy day is a waste of time.
Roc18
`
+655|5790|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

SenorToenails wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

Maybe doing things that stimulate the mind aren't practical for you, but not everyone thinks reading a book or building a model on a rainy day is a waste of time.
Well that's my opinion on it, i dont see many 15 year olds today doing charity or reading a book for fun. I'm not saying that some don't like reading or community service or that type of stuff, but it doesnt seem like something most teens would like to spend their free time doing.I was saying he should do stuff he likes to do for fun with other people instead of being by himself at home infront of the computer if he's not satisfied with that.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Roc18 wrote:

Well that's my opinion on it, i dont see many 15 year olds today doing charity or reading a book for fun. I'm not saying that some don't like reading or community service or that type of stuff, but it doesnt seem like something most teens would like to spend their free time doing.I was saying he should do stuff he likes to do for fun with other people instead of being by himself at home infront of the computer if he's not satisfied with that.
That's true.  Though, I don't know where you think I mentioned community service.
Home
Section.80
+447|6847|Seattle, Washington, USA

Start lifting weights and working out. Gives you something to do, and it will benefit your health and make you feel better about yourself and like you're accomplishing something.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6670|UK
Recognising you have a problem is a good thing.  You know you need to change. 

Listen to the comments above, these people are helping you too look in the right direction but ultimately is YOU that has to walk down that path.  Don't worry about career just yet.  I was going to go down the Biochemistry Toxicology route until i decided to do computing instead at the last minute and now work as an extremely well paid IT Consultant.

Focus on making friends, meeting girls, having fun, getting fit, playing sports and dont worry over playing some computer games once in a while....after all its fun isn't it?!

Last edited by m3thod (2008-07-21 12:25:59)

Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
m3thod
+2,197|6670|UK

Home wrote:

Start lifting weights and working out. Gives you something to do, and it will benefit your health and make you feel better about yourself and like you're accomplishing something.
Too young at 15.  Body is still developing and growing.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6672|Colorado
Happiness comes from inside, don't look for it outside of yourself or you will never find it. Do what makes you happy. Work hard now so you don't have to later in life. Buy a house as soon as you can.

Thoughts that might be useful to you.
m3thod
+2,197|6670|UK

TrollmeaT wrote:

Happiness comes from inside, don't look for it outside of yourself or you will never find it. Do what makes you happy. Work hard now so you don't have to later in life. Buy a house as soon as you can.

Thoughts that might be useful to you.
Sorry that's rubbish.  Happiness is derived with connecting and creating relationships with people - especially with a hot sexy woman who is eager to pleasure your pole 24/7.

And the other advice....jeez he's only 15.  Is America that shit at the moment?!

edited

to inculde the hot sexy bit as some of the numbnuts just don't get it.

Last edited by m3thod (2008-07-21 13:32:32)

A12345
+77|6469

m3thod wrote:

Sorry that's rubbish.  Happiness is derived with connecting and creating relationships with people...
i wouldnt put my happiness in the hands of others or depend on relationships to feel good, i feel you should be able to be alone and still be happy. but whatever works for ya.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6646

m3thod wrote:

Home wrote:

Too young at 15.  Body is still developing and growing.
None of that is proven to hurt growth. I started lifting at 15 in the second half of my freshmen year and I was fine. In fact I'm the tallest and largest person in my family.

Starting lifting early is actually kinda nice. It gives you a head start on everyone else.
CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6356|CA, USA
lifting weights at 15 is absolutely not going to screw you up.  go for it.  focus more on form and the weight will come.  you will see progress and this will motivate you in many ways.  if you were 12, i'd say no to weights but 15 is totally fine.  work out with powerlifter guys to learn proper form and you'll get a good solid base.  later when you are older, try and get into more refined lifting to cut-up and your whole physique will change fast.  you CAN look great without drugs.  fact.  just takes desire and discipline.

join some sports in school.  wrestling is a really great sport but if you aren't into that, then try track instead.  nothing beats watching girls running.  throw shotput or jav or discus if you don't like to run.  i did pole vault and threw shot.  spent time in between events watching the girls.  it's great.  some kids have issues with jocks but honestly if you show up and try you'd be suprised that you become part of the 'team' really easily.

if you like computers alot, then focus on 'how' they work.  this might open up into job opportunities working at pc repair shops or even in retail sales.  eg:  i sold car stereos, AV equipment, etc as a HS student.  once i started studying engineering, i could explain how they worked to customers better - hence making me more sales and more money.

talk to a guidance counselor in school to see if they have certain aptitude tests or placement tests to see what you might be really good at.  this might help point you in right direction for study.  i guess when you are a junior, the ASVAB test (for armed forces) might be another avenue for you.  again, guidance counselor at school would be best able to help you here.

once you turn 16, get a job fast.  you can learn alot just by working.  you will learn what you like and hate in a job.  eg:  i worked as a HVAC installer in summer to help pay my way through college.  i liked the people at work - it was a good crew.  however, crawling around 150F attics and moving 750 pound boilers was not for me.  some people like that sort of thing - good for them - not for me.  you will discover this for yourself.

talk to your parents.  see what they have to say.  communication is a great thing.  i know young people probably hate the thought of talking with their parents since they feel so alienated and/or different.  trust me - a good relationship with parents goes a long way.  plus, later when you are older, you might have regrets.  i know i do.  now i call my parents probably 2 times a week.  i live on the other side of US and miss them alot.  growing up - i saw them every day.  i miss that - you may too.

teenage years are never easy and once they are done, you have the rest of your life to look forward to.  try many things while you are young.  if you screw up, dust yourself off and spring back.  don't let people get you down either.  like others mentioned above, be happy with yourself FIRST, then share that with others.  if someone is bringing you down, don't hang with them - it will limit you.  confidence (not cockyness) is key.

most importantly, good luck!

Last edited by CaptainSpaulding71 (2008-07-21 13:37:37)

topal63
. . .
+533|6717

m3thod wrote:

Happiness is derived with connecting and creating relationships with people.
Exactly. Happiness - it doesn't happen in the vacuum of space. There is very little to communicate; and not much of a point to it - when you're communicating to no-one.

That's why everyone is suggesting, the truth, escape the prison of self imposed isolation that gaming; the internet; can be when you get too into it; or a bit hooked on it; wrapped up in the nonsense time waster that it is.

Last edited by topal63 (2008-07-21 13:14:31)

liquix
+51|6453|Peoples Republic of Portland
Join a sports team at school, you'll meet friends, girls, have fun, and expose yourselves to new and exciting things. 99% of people don't know what they want to do when they are 15, so don't worry about it.

The key is finding something you love to do, that way you'll have the passion to push yourself through hardships in order to achieve fiscal and personal success.

Finally, keep your head up. It's not the end of the world, even though it may feel like that sometimes.
m3thod
+2,197|6670|UK

A12345 wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Sorry that's rubbish.  Happiness is derived with connecting and creating relationships with people...
i wouldnt put my happiness in the hands of others or depend on relationships to feel good, i feel you should be able to be alone and still be happy. but whatever works for ya.
Enjoy your life of masturbation.
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6353|West NY

m3thod wrote:

A12345 wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Enjoy your life of masturbation.
BVC
+325|6694
Definitely work out, or get some for of exercise - personally I have a 6 foot punching bag in my lounge, and also paintball is good.  Its active, but not completely removed from gaming - you'll still get that same thrill you got when you first thought "fuck yeah" while playing BF2 but with paintball it won't fade

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard