CameronPoe
+2,925|6556
Any guesses? This doublespeak is getting tiresome - it reminds me of the term 'negative patient output' used in Vietnam.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6686|United States of America
Dunno... really
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command
It's a set amount of time something is given before you step back and evaluate the effect.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6556
Does anyone else think it's an infringement of Iraqi 'sovereignty' that the US are thus far refusing to acquiesce to the Iraqi government's request for a timetable for withdrawal?
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6721|California

The point when you realize that there is no hope fighting
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6686|United States of America

CameronPoe wrote:

Does anyone else think it's an infringement of Iraqi 'sovereignty' that the US are thus far refusing to acquiesce to the Iraqi government's request for a timetable for withdrawal?
Whoa, if you would have said "disinclined" rather than "refusing," it would have been the exact same phrase from the Pirates of the Caribbean movie.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6543|Texas - Bigger than France

CameronPoe wrote:

I didn't see where they have completed the negotiations.  Have they?
IRONCHEF
+385|6492|Northern California
Time Horizon = Time Table, for withdrawal.

Sounds like a neo-con way of saying they want a time table without using the words...except it seems it's an Iraqi request I think.  Maybe they're using the phrase since it's being requested of Bush?

CameronPoe wrote:

Exactly.  This is them asking for permission to withdraw US troops from their sovereign territory.  I'm guessing we'll leave when there's no more financial gain for us...to hell with their sovereignty.

Last edited by IRONCHEF (2008-07-18 10:29:35)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6556

Pug wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I take it you believe they will agree to a withdrawal timetable then. Also I would have thought that sovereignty is non-negotiable. Is the reality of the situation that the US want to stay there so that they have a convenient launchpad for Iran or is it because they have the Iraqis best interests at heart? It gets confusing when all you hear is positive 'mission accomplished' type stories out of Iraq on the one hand followed by 'we must remain in Iraq to see this mission through' and 'no withdrawal' type stories on the other. Will somebody please make up their mind?
Pug

CameronPoe wrote:

I take it you believe they will agree to a withdrawal timetable then. Also I would have thought that sovereignty is non-negotiable. Is the reality of the situation that the US want to stay there so that they have a convenient launchpad for Iran or is it because they have the Iraqis best interests at heart? It gets confusing when all you hear is positive 'mission accomplished' type stories out of Iraq on the one hand followed by 'we must remain in Iraq to see this mission through' and 'no withdrawal' type stories on the other. Will somebody please make up their mind?
No, I'm going to wait to judge until its determined.  If they've delay too long, then I'll complain.

Am I confused?  Sure.  The US is negotiating with the Iraqis about a withdrawal...and apparently that's BAD news?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6556

Pug wrote:

Am I confused?  Sure.  The US is negotiating with the Iraqis about a withdrawal...and apparently that's BAD news?
Negotiating a withdrawal, negotiating an extended stay. It seems like the latter.
Pug

CameronPoe wrote:

Pug wrote:

Negotiating a withdrawal, negotiating an extended stay. It seems like the latter.
Well gee whiz Cam. 

I dunno about you but there hasn't been too much positive news about Iraq until recently.  Perhaps they haven't discussed withdrawal until now because the situation wasn't as stable?
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6184|Ireland
You realize that the US did just win a war there don't you.  It is over when the US decides its over and leaves or gives Iraq the authority to tell the US when to leave.

U R dense.
Vax
+42|5853|Flyover country
Some analysis, from an experienced reporter who has been there many times
(go past the focus on Obama or the election, it's a good read)

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/columnis … Obama.html

Trudy Rubin wrote:

This is a time of enormous flux in Iraq, as it is around the globe. A year ago, Iraq's security situation was still dire. A few months ago, no one expected a floundering Maliki to become a nationalist hero. Any U.S. president will have to "refine" his Iraq positions in 2009.

But it is essential to understand what's happening now.

Maliki and his aides have been waffling on the issue of a timetable. His national security adviser, Mowaffak al-Rubaie, talked of a "time-line horizon." Government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh spoke of "three, four or five years." Iraqi sources tell me that a spokesman for Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani has denied that the preeminent cleric has endorsed a timetable.

What's going on? First, intense Iraqi political jockeying in advance of provincial elections later this year. Second, intense pressure on Iraqi political factions from Iran ...
Then the news today
logitech487
+16|6404|From The State Of Taxes
The length of time over which an investment is made or held before it is liquidated.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

I was watching a show last night about the "Horizon problem".. coincidence? I think not.
https://i38.tinypic.com/13yfrm9.jpg

We will see what happens when the UN mandate expires. Whenever you start hearing stories about soldiers getting bored in Iraq it's certainly time to consider getting the fuck out.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
usmarine2
Banned
+233|5792|Dublin, Ohio

Lotta_Drool wrote:

You realize that the US did just win a war there don't you.  It is over when the US decides its over and leaves or gives Iraq the authority to tell the US when to leave.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6672|UK
a clock at the edge of the earth. It had to be said. 

Bite me.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6446|The Land of Scott Walker

Kmarion wrote:

I was watching a show last night about the "Horizon problem".. coincidence? I think not.
http://i38.tinypic.com/13yfrm9.jpg

We will see what happens when the UN mandate expires. Whenever you start hearing stories about soldiers getting bored in Iraq it's certainly time to consider getting the fuck out.
I can has tv?
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6666|NT, like Mick Dundee

DesertFox- wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Whoa, if you would have said "disinclined" rather than "refusing," it would have been the exact same phrase from the Pirates of the Caribbean movie.
Disinclined to aquesce to your request?
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5828

Pug wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

So they have to negotiate what they do with their sovereign territory now?
Pug

ZombieVampire! wrote:

So you are under the impression they don't need any US military help at all?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6556

Pug wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Well the Iraqis seem to think they can dispense with them in the forseeable future.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6556

Lotta_Drool wrote:

U R dense.
Sorry for presuming American comments regarding Iraqi sovereignty actually meant anything.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5828

Pug wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

I'm under the impression that my opinion doesn't matter.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard