Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6257|Winland

SpIk3y wrote:

I'm sorry but if you're on a folding team, you're a geek too.
Well, look who's here. Guess who's got an immensely higher PPD average now >:)
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6198|New Jersey
I had a slump, my other PC was turned off for 24+ hours.  I don't have any dedicated folders, so nothing is running 24/7.

I will defend my #2 spot till death.

Last edited by SpIk3y (2009-02-05 15:28:25)

Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6257|Winland

SpIk3y wrote:

I had a slump, my other PC was turned off for 24+ hours.  I don't have any dedicated folders, so nothing is running 24/7.

I will defend my #2 spot till death.
I will enjoy crushing you.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
bad-man
now say you sorry
+34|5907|one windy city
started folding for bf2s team last night... got some questions, sorry if those were answered before but i didnt have time to go trough 40 pages of posts

1. do i run 2 separate clients if i want to use GPU and CPU on same machine
2. how stable is the SMP client and is that what i would use on quad core ... asking cause the pc that will get most of the folding is my gaming machine and i dont feel like recovering or reinstalling the OS
3. is it worth running older laptop with pIII 850mhz running etch and half on debian
4. how do i monitor that laptop using the fah monitor < ---- had problems there last night
5. also i tried running ATI X1600 in one om my older machines and the software didnt support it... is there anything else i can do to use that GPU or is CPU the only thing i can use in that pc

thats all that came up so far

https://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2976/certphpia0.jpg
https://img517.imageshack.us/img517/1788/certpointswr5.jpg
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6257|Winland

bad-man wrote:

started folding for bf2s team last night... got some questions, sorry if those were answered before but i didnt have time to go trough 40 pages of posts

2. how stable is the SMP client and is that what i would use on quad core ... asking cause the pc that will get most of the folding is my gaming machine and i dont feel like recovering or reinstalling the OS
3. is it worth running older laptop with pIII 850mhz running etch and half on debian
4. how do i monitor that laptop using the fah monitor < ---- had problems there last night
5. also i tried running ATI X1600 in one om my older machines and the software didnt support it... is there anything else i can do to use that GPU or is CPU the only thing i can use in that pc

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2976/certphpia0.jpg
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/1788 … ntswr5.jpg
1. Yes
2. It's quite stable, it just tends to stop working at times.
3. Not really.
4. See 3.
5. No, sorry. Only HD2x00 cards can fold.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6903|Reykjavík, Iceland.

Freezer7Pro wrote:

bad-man wrote:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2976/certphpia0.jpg
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/1788 … ntswr5.jpg
1. Yes
2. It's quite stable, it just tends to stop working at times.
3. Not really.
4. See 3.
5. No, sorry. Only HD2x00 cards can fold.
As in: HD2x00 and up.

edit: Being bombarded with 511 cores for my video cards, and a 3340 point A1 WU for my E8500, yielding extra low PPD.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-----

Last edited by Sydney (2009-02-07 00:40:43)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6734|Canberra, AUS
Ugh. I tried setting up SMP to run on top of my GPU client and quickly gave up... 40 minutes per frame. Doing it wrong?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6627|NYC / Hamburg

Specs, running clients, WU number, Points for that WU?

40 min per frame = 4000min for the WU = 2.8 Days

Assuming it's a 1920 pointer it'll give you 690ppd. Sounds about right for a lower end CPU that's bogged down by a GPU client
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6597|Long Island, New York
Nice to see you guys just about to hit below the 200 mark in rank. Keep up the good work! I plan to upgrade my rig around the time Windows 7 comes out, so I'll help you guys out a bit.
max
Vela Incident

Speaking of ranks and all that, I've been thinking about picking up 3 9800GT to fill up all my empty PCI-e slots. I only hope that they don't bog down my quads too much under linux with wine.

On the 20th I'll visit my parents. Might as well drop another 2 9800GT into dads PC

Also I really need to RMA my M3A-H HDMI. Even though it only has a X2 4800+ it'll help a little

Last edited by max (2009-02-07 20:29:30)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Spark
+874|6734|Canberra, AUS

max wrote:

Specs, running clients, WU number, Points for that WU?

40 min per frame = 4000min for the WU = 2.8 Days

Assuming it's a 1920 pointer it'll give you 690ppd. Sounds about right for a lower end CPU that's bogged down by a GPU client
I suppose it is lower end... Q8200 (think Q6600) not oc'd.

1700pts.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
max
Vela Incident

What GPU, Drivers and OS? With some combos a GPU can take up a whole core.

AFAIK the 1700point WUs fetch terrible PPDs under the windows client. Crunch though it and pray for a better one or swap to linux.

Anyone with more recent WinSMP experience shine some light on this?

Last edited by max (2009-02-07 20:57:16)

Spark
+874|6734|Canberra, AUS
4870 1gb, December ccc and vista x64.
~ Richard Feynman
max
Vela Incident

Yeah, that'll bog down a whole core. On the normal 1920points you should be getting more. Try forcing the affinity to 2 cores and running a uni-processor client on the remaining free one. Scaling of FahCore_A1 is terrible beyond 2 cores anyhow
Spark
+874|6734|Canberra, AUS
thanks, I'll try it.

Edit: But I might not meet the deadlines - four days, ~5 hours a day.

Last edited by Spark (2009-02-07 21:22:45)

~ Richard Feynman
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6198|New Jersey
I don't think the 1700 point WUs are all bad.  My E8400 is bringing in 1900 PPD with one right now.
max
Vela Incident

i7 is back online. Had to RMA the ram

Also adding another 3 G92s over the next 12h or so
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6792|St. Andrews / Oslo

this is the 1000th reply (including deleted posts)

I'm awesome.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6665|Greenwood, IN
I don't suppose someone could tell me what each score means?
Sydney
2λчиэλ

SpIk3y wrote:

I don't think the 1700 point WUs are all bad.  My E8400 is bringing in 1900 PPD with one right now.
1920 are best IMO, gives me 3000 on my E8500.

Currently on a 3340 point core giving a measly 1600 PPD
Also, both GPUs doing 511
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6198|New Jersey

Naturn wrote:

Not sure what you mean.  All the numbers we're talking about are points.  For each work unit you complete, you are awarded points.  Generally, the bigger/more time consuming the work unit, the more points you get for it.
tkoi
Utahraptor!
+148|6207|Texas
Whoo top ten!
Also whoo 300k!
https://fah-web.stanford.edu/awards/cert.php?u=tkoi&amp;pts=302229
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6257|Winland

SpIk3y wrote:

Naturn wrote:

Not sure what you mean.  All the numbers we're talking about are points.  For each work unit you complete, you are awarded points.  Generally, the bigger/more time consuming the work unit, the more points you get for it.
And you produce different amounts of points per day depending on the WU.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
http://kakaostats.com/

Check out the very bottom of the page
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6257|Winland

RANK 200!!!

I brought the alternative mind-altering stimulants.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard