lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA
Taken from http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080706/ap_on_el_pr/obama

He preached individual responsibility, saying he knew he risked criticism for "blaming the victim" by talking of the need for parents to help children with homework and turn off the TV, to pass on a healthy self-image to daughters, and teach boys both to respect women and "realize that responsibility does not end at conception."

I think I have pretty much expressed these same feelings, yet was accused of being a racist for saying them. Looks like Obama is also a racist.

I wonder why he would be risking "criticism for blaming the victim" with these words. I guess it must be because there are plenty of other people, other than the parents, who need to be blamed for the raising of THEIR kids?

Anyway, Obama just gained a little respect from me for this comment.

Also he said

"We are not constrained by the accident of birth but can make of our lives what we will," Obama said. He was greeted when he arrived in the vast hall by the most thunderous cheering, waving and screaming that he has heard all week.

Oops a little personal responsibility jab there I think. Sorry for the kryptonite.
HollisHurlbut
+51|5997
A nice sentiment, but I think his other statements render this, at best, empty rhetoric.
Marinejuana
local
+415|6585|Seattle

HollisHurlbut wrote:

at best, empty rhetoric.
that goes for Obama and lowing.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Marinejuana wrote:

HollisHurlbut wrote:

at best, empty rhetoric.
that goes for Obama and lowing.
I know, I have heard it all before, personal responsibilty is "empty rhetoric" to liberals......I expected nothing more.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS
I fail to see how and where anybody could think that is racist.

Methinks you're coming up with what you think we think.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Spark wrote:

I fail to see how and where anybody could think that is racist.

Methinks you're coming up with what you think we think.
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=103798

Me thinks not
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5827
The difference is he was making a general statement, not specifically criticising blacks.

And, as you point out in that thread, few people said that the statement was racist.

Last edited by ZombieVampire! (2008-07-06 00:24:11)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

ZombieVampire! wrote:

The difference is he was making a general statement, not specifically criticising blacks.

And, as you point out in that thread, few people said that the statement was racist.
"Making a less than two-hour stop in the battleground state of Missouri, the Democratic presidential nominee implored the thousands attending a national meeting of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, one of the nation's largest and most politically and civically active black denominations, to help fix national and local ills."

not so "general", when his audience was black...denial is one of your strong points that is for sure.

What I want is those same people who said I was a racist in tha thread, come in here and make the same claim that Obama is now a racist.along with Cosby. for basically saying the same thing.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6555

lowing wrote:

I think I have pretty much expressed these same feelings, yet was accused of being a racist for saying them. Looks like Obama is also a racist.
You quite definitely and repeatedly did not express those sentiments. You continually asserted that awareness of ones personal responsibility magically appears AT CONCEPTION and that parents had little or no bearing on matters. So in a word: WRONG.

You have steadfastly, stubbornly and ignorantly ignored the hard and fast statistical, logical and actual reality of inter-generational social problem inheritance.

PS Wtf does Obama's comments have to do about race? We call you a racist because you differentiate on the basis of skin colour not because of your comments on personal responsibility.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-07-06 06:26:49)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6290|Éire

lowing wrote:

He preached individual responsibility, saying he knew he risked criticism for "blaming the victim" by talking of the need for parents to help children with homework and turn off the TV, to pass on a healthy self-image to daughters, and teach boys both to respect women and "realize that responsibility does not end at conception."

I wonder why he would be risking "criticism for blaming the victim" with these words. I guess it must be because there are plenty of other people, other than the parents, who need to be blamed for the raising of THEIR kids?

Also he said

"We are not constrained by the accident of birth but can make of our lives what we will," Obama said. He was greeted when he arrived in the vast hall by the most thunderous cheering, waving and screaming that he has heard all week.

Oops a little personal responsibility jab there I think. Sorry for the kryptonite.
You really don't listen to other people in debates, do you lowing?

I don't think anyone at any stage argued that personal responsibility wasn't ultimately what is needed to succeed to any degree in life. What some people were arguing was that demographically most African Americans don't have the same head starts in life that many white people do and as such levels of education and social awareness in relation to such issues are more likely to be worse in African American communities. As Cam pointed out on numerous occasions social awareness doesn't magically appear at birth, it needs to be instilled and if society doesn't address it's social problems and continually work to improve awareness then the problems will not get any better...and people like you who choose to dismiss statistics and the existence of such social problems only perpetuate the cycle.

It's very easy for white America to point the finger at the problems of the African American community when they themselves have had a few hundred years head start on the back of work done by slaves.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

You quite definitely and repeatedly did not express those sentiments. You continually asserted that awareness of ones personal responsibility magically appears AT CONCEPTION and that parents had little or no bearing on matters. So in a word: WRONG.

You have steadfastly, stubbornly and ignorantly ignored the hard and fast statistical, logical and actual reality of inter-generational social problem inheritance.

PS Wtf does Obama's comments have to do about race? We call you a racist because you differentiate on the basis of skin colour not because of your comments on personal responsibility.
I defy you to show where I have ever differenciated my view points on ANYTHING, based on skin color....WHEN you can not, I will not expect an apology from the likes of you.

So the fact that Obama was addressing a black audience when he made these comments were just coincidental I suppose I guess the backlash from the black community is also coincidental.....denial is also one of your strong points as well Cam.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

Also he said

You really don't listen to other people in debates, do you lowing?

I don't think anyone at any stage argued that personal responsibility wasn't ultimately what is needed to succeed to any degree in life. What some people were arguing was that demographically most African Americans don't have the same head starts in life that many white people do and as such levels of education and social awareness in relation to such issues are more likely to be worse in African American communities. As Cam pointed out on numerous occasions social awareness doesn't magically appear at birth, it needs to be instilled and if society doesn't address it's social problems and continually work to improve awareness then the problems will not get any better...and people like you who choose to dismiss statistics and the existence of such social problems only perpetuate the cycle.

It's very easy for white America to point the finger at the problems of the African American community when they themselves have had a few hundred years head start on the back of work done by slaves.
Do not mistake NOT listening with NOT agreeing.......I have heard your argument and I steadfastly think it is bullshit to continue to blame slavery and pre-civil rights era  for personal failure today by those who have not experienced either.......Plain and simple.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6555

lowing wrote:

I defy you to show where I have ever differenciated my view points on ANYTHING, based on skin color....WHEN you can not, I will not expect an apology from the likes of you.

So the fact that Obama was addressing a black audience when he made these comments were just coincidental I suppose I guess the backlash from the black community is also coincidental.....denial is also one of your strong points as well Cam.
Leaving a certain karma message for a certain poster who had provided a raft of statistics which differentiated on the basis of skin colour betrayed your sentiments.

Your second sentence of this very post also betrays the fact that you focus solely on skin colour. Why is it relevant who he was addressing? Exactly - you are a racist.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6343|tropical regions of london
you are a racist by the simple fact you invest too much of your brain power in criticizing other races....and then play the victim of being labeled as a racist.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

Leaving a certain karma message for a certain poster who had provided a raft of statistics which differentiated on the basis of skin colour betrayed your sentiments.

Your second sentence of this very post also betrays the fact that you focus solely on skin colour. Why is it relevant who he was addressing? Exactly - you are a racist.
The thread is ABOUT race, it was denied that Obama was speaking to the black community with his remarks, I merely pointed out that THAT is who he was addressing.

Cam, when we are talking about RACE, in a thread it is kinda hard.......well.............NOT to...........Now, again with all of my posting show me where I hold a different standard for each race EVER!
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6290|Éire

lowing wrote:

Do not mistake NOT listening with NOT agreeing.......I have heard your argument and I steadfastly think it is bullshit to continue to blame slavery and pre-civil rights era  for personal failure today by those who have not experienced either.......Plain and simple.
We know lowing...you refuse to accept the reality of inherited social problems or the validity of statistics relating to wealth and how it impacts crime figures in various communities. Such things don't exist in your world view. Society's problems are only caused by individuals and the roots of those problem never go any deeper than that, yes?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

God Save the Queen wrote:

you are a racist by the simple fact you invest too much of your brain power in criticizing other races....and then play the victim of being labeled as a racist.
Sorry, I have never criticized a race, I hold everyone EQUALLY responsible for their actions regardless of race...
CameronPoe
+2,925|6555

lowing wrote:

The thread is ABOUT race, it was denied that Obama was speaking to the black community with his remarks, I merely pointed out that THAT is who he was addressing.

Cam, when we are talking about RACE, in a thread it is kinda hard.......well.............NOT to...........Now, again with all of my posting show me where I hold a different standard for each race EVER!
Keep on referring to race. Keep digging that hole.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6537|Long Island, New York
I wonder if we can go one thread of lowing's where he doesn't accuse someone of being a liberal just because they disagree with him.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6290|Éire

lowing wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

This is just like the comment about "watching your parents shooting up in the ghetto"...you automatically assume blackness because of your strong personal bias.
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6493|Connecticut

lowing wrote:

God Save the Queen wrote:

Sorry, I have never criticized a race, I hold everyone EQUALLY responsible for their actions regardless of race...
Im racist. I blame the Canadiens for the man speedo being tolerant at the beach.
Malloy must go
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

We know lowing...you refuse to accept the reality of inherited social problems or the validity of statistics relating to wealth and how it impacts crime figures in various communities. Such things don't exist in your world view. Society's problems are only caused by individuals and the roots of those problem never go any deeper than that, yes?
Nope, not true people do have it harder than others ( that includes white people as well) however, IT does not TRUMP personal responsibility and therefore is irrelevent when the cards are on the table.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6555
Karma Message:     wow.......very powerful..lowing

Post [Nu7 - now banned, presumably for racism]:

28% of black males in the U.S will end up is prison
48% of blacks randomly tested had herpes 7% knew that had it
Out of all groups black females are the most over weight in the U.S
90% of all interracial crime is committed by blacks against whites
62% of black babies born in U.S are paid for by welfare
Even though blacks are out numbers 9 to 1 in the U.S blacks commit over half of the murders
32% of black males in there 20's are on parole or probation
blacks are 4.5 times likely to be on welfare than whites

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-07-06 08:10:52)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

This is just like the comment about "watching your parents shooting up in the ghetto"...you automatically assume blackness because of your strong personal bias.
In contxt Braddock, that is exactly what he meant and you damn well know it.......Howver I do bow to the fact that you have wormed your way out of that corner.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

Karma Message:     wow.......very powerful..lowing

Post [Nu7 - now banned, presumably for racism]:

28% of black males in the U.S will end up is prison
48% of blacks randomly tested had herpes 7% knew that had it
Out of all groups black females are the most over weight in the U.S
90% of all interracial crime is committed by blacks against whites
62% of black babies born in U.S are paid for by welfare
Even though blacks are out numbers 9 to 1 in the U.S blacks commit over half of the murders
32% of black males in there 20's are on parole or probation
blacks are 4.5 times likely to be on welfare than whites
Excuse me, is posting fact and stats now racist, when it goes against you?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard