Poll

Do you believe this comment is racist?

Yes30%30% - 36
No69%69% - 83
Total: 119
CameronPoe
+2,925|6554
lowing: "It is the attitude that if you succeed, and actually build a life for yourself, you are an Uncle Tom, who sold out to the white man......It is the hero worship of hoodlums and gang bangers and hip hop killa cop rap artists, instead of successful roll models, like black astronauts, doctors, judges, cops, firemen, entrapenures...etc...........All of these people sold out to whitey in their eyes and are shunned.... It is better to be victim of the white man's oppression so you have an excuse to be a failure, rather than get off your ass and take responsibility for yourself........Just like all of those "Uncle Tom's""

I just want to get a majority view here. Comments from black people especially welcome.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-06-24 01:08:15)

Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6809|Nårvei

Even minorities view themselves as stereotypes ...

I was thinking of the same issue the other day ... why is it alright for black people to call eachother nigger and at the same time it is racist if a "long nose" or "whitey" uses the same term ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX
I don't think that particular comment is racist, more misguided.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

It's less racist that lowings usual drivel.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

TheAussieReaper wrote:

I know, the preaching of personal responsibilty is repugnant to most in here and is considered "drivel"..
CameronPoe
+2,925|6554

lowing wrote:

TheAussieReaper wrote:

I know, the preaching of personal responsibilty is repugnant to most in here and is considered "drivel"..
Did anyone say they weren't responsible for themselves? I'd like to see the post where someone stated that.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6828|Grapevine, TX
you cant be serious Cam. No.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6518|Πάϊ
It's not racist. It's just this common american belief that focuses on the person entirely, disregarding the societal aspect of life. In other words, success or failure are only dependent on the person's ambition and drive or lack thereof.
It's just that this time, this logic is focusing on the black community.

Last edited by oug (2008-06-24 01:30:38)

ƒ³
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Did anyone say they weren't responsible for themselves? I'd like to see the post where someone stated that.
Ummmmm Cam? These racial threads are all about assigning blame. Who is responsible for today's failures? You and others go to great lenghts to point out that it is because of slavery, and pre-civil rights is the reason why a 20 something refuses to go to school, get a job and better themselves..........I maintain, that 20 something is the reason why he didn't go to school get a job and better himself. You want to put the blame on white America, and I refuse insisting we are all responsible for ourselves.

Now, please show me where I hate black people and I accept white failure over black failure.

Please show me in any of my posts where I tolerate lazy white people and excuse them while I beat down lazy black people.

You show me where in any of my posts, I excuse failure of white people.

The fact is Cam, you can not.....In my history here I go off on any and ALL able bodied individuals who expect something for nothing and blame BUsh, the govt. whitey etc... for their own personal problems.

I defy you to find where I have ever said otherwise.

I celebrate success, and achievement or even an honest attempt at it....Race has nothing to do with it Cam.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5826
Not in itself, but I think the fallacy of it suggests a racist thought process.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA
sorry Cam, it looks like your fishing trip might just be a bust.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6554

lowing wrote:

sorry Cam, it looks like your fishing trip might just be a bust.
Somebody going fishing?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6554

lowing wrote:

Ummmmm Cam? These racial threads are all about assigning blame. Who is responsible for today's failures? You and others go to great lenghts to point out that it is because of slavery, and pre-civil rights is the reason why a 20 something refuses to go to school, get a job and better themselves..........I maintain, that 20 something is the reason why he didn't go to school get a job and better himself. You want to put the blame on white America, and I refuse insisting we are all responsible for ourselves.

Now, please show me where I hate black people and I accept white failure over black failure.

Please show me in any of my posts where I tolerate lazy white people and excuse them while I beat down lazy black people.

The fact is Cam, you can not.....In my history here I go off on any and ALL able bodied individuals who expect something for nothing and blame BUsh, the govt. whitey etc... for their own personal problems.

I celebrate success, and achievement or even an honest attempt at it....Race has nothing to do with it Cam.
Erm. Lowing. The past is a major causal factor for the situation we find ourselves in today. Personal responsibility is learned. It is a cultural thing. It is instilled through good parenting or good education. Many have not learned their personal responsibilities or seek to be personally responsible in a criminal manner as a consequence of the social environment in which they find themselves. This does not absolve them of their duty to be personally responsible, it is simply a statement of why there is a propensity to commit crime. The three centuries of black oppression leading up to the emancipation - the true starting point of black social, political and economic development - put blacks in a 'time to play catch-up' scenario, which couldn't possibly occur overinight. You can't effect social and cultural change in years or even decades. It takes time. THese are facts, not excuses or justifications. The same applies to white poverty-driven criminals. They have the same poverty cyle issues. I will defer to the sociologists on this one, you can argue about something nobody is arguing about if you please.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

Erm. Lowing. The past is a major causal factor for the situation we find ourselves in today. Personal responsibility is learned. It is a cultural thing. It is instilled through good parenting or good education. Many have not learned their personal responsibilities or seek to be personally responsible in a criminal manner as a consequence of the social environment in which they find themselves. This does not absolve them of their duty to be personally responsible, it is simply a statement of why there is a propensity to commit crime. The three centuries of black oppression leading up to the emancipation - the true starting point of black social, political and economic development - put blacks in a 'time to play catch-up' scenario, which couldn't possibly occur overinight. You can't effect social and cultural change in years or even decades. It takes time. THese are facts, not excuses or justifications. The same applies to white poverty-driven criminals. They have the same poverty cyle issues. I will defer to the sociologists on this one, you can argue about something nobody is arguing about if you please.
You say this, yet, 20 year old white people have no 40 year old civil riights , or 150 year old slavery excuse to fall on.......So what is your excuse for their personal failures?  My GGG grandfather was oppressed so I am opressed is bullshit.....A 20 something that has never felt the sting of bondage or oppression has no excuse....TODAY the opportunity is there to better yourself, if you refuse to do so TODAY, then you are a failure TODAY, with no one else to blame.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6554

lowing wrote:

You say this, yet, 20 year old white people have no 40 year old civil riights , or 150 year old slavery excuse to fall on.......So what is your excuse for their personal failures?  My GGG grandfather was oppressed so I am opressed is bullshit.....A 20 something that has never felt the sting of bondage or oppression has no excuse....TODAY the opportunity is there to better yourself, if you refuse to do so TODAY, then you are a failure TODAY, with no one else to blame.
I'm not talking excuses lowing. Why would I provide excuses. I'm simply stating facts in case your reading comprehension ain't up to scratch. This is a statistical question.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6289|Éire

lowing wrote:

I have to say lowing, you need to get real. In an ideal world maybe a country could go from a position of deep-seated, ingrained, institutional racial inequality to one of total equality in just one generation but let's be realistic. The young white people of today who had no direct connection to America's apartheid era have nothing to be ashamed of but the system of society they have inherited can't possibly be rid of all it's institutional racism in such a short space of time. The Obama presedential race is a perfect example of how race is still on everyone's mind in contemporary America, why is he being discussed almost exclusively as a 'black candidate' and not just simply as 'a candidate'? Both sides play the race game when it suits them, that is true, but it is naive to think there is no hangover from America's divided past.

I can't remember which black guy I heard saying this but he said that until the idea of a black person in a respectable or high ranking job becomes "like pizza" then race is still an issue in American society; by that he was referring to the way in which you don't say you're eating "an Italian pizza", you just say you're eating "a pizza" - the country of origin, or race in our case, is no longer an issue.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6323|New Haven, CT
Shouldn't there be a limit on the number of vendetta threads Cam and Lowing are allowed to make? This is basically baiting, which invariably results in what we have.

That being said, it is accurate for a large majority of lower income blacks, and helps explain why so many are stuck in the cycle of failure they are currently living in.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

I have to say lowing, you need to get real. In an ideal world maybe a country could go from a position of deep-seated, ingrained, institutional racial inequality to one of total equality in just one generation but let's be realistic. The young white people of today who had no direct connection to America's apartheid era have nothing to be ashamed of but the system of society they have inherited can't possibly be rid of all it's institutional racism in such a short space of time. The Obama presedential race is a perfect example of how race is still on everyone's mind in contemporary America, why is he being discussed almost exclusively as a 'black candidate' and not just simply as 'a candidate'? Both sides play the race game when it suits them, that is true, but it is naive to think there is no hangover from America's divided past.

I can't remember which black guy I heard saying this but he said that until the idea of a black person in a respectable or high ranking job becomes "like pizza" then race is still an issue in American society; by that he was referring to the way in which you don't say you're eating "an Italian pizza", you just say you're eating "a pizza" - the country of origin, or race in our case, is no longer an issue.
I agree with this, but then who are the ones looking for RACIAL distinctions in America today..........Or are you telling me that white America coined the term African American, Asian American etc............If the person who says he wants to be just "pizza" then he nneds to stop referring to HIMSELF as AFRICAN pizza..
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

nukchebi0 wrote:

Shouldn't there be a limit on the number of vendetta threads Cam and Lowing are allowed to make? This is basically baiting, which invariably results in what we have.

That being said, it is accurate for a large majority of lower income blacks, and helps explain why so many are stuck in the cycle of failure they are currently living in.
I do not start vendetta threads. I do not start threads to attack a specific person.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX
the system of society they have inherited can't possibly be rid of all it's institutional racism in such a short space of time.
It certainly isn't, I've seen it and its not nice.
A 20 something that has never felt the sting of bondage or oppression has no excuse....TODAY the opportunity is there to better yourself, if you refuse to do so TODAY, then you are a failure TODAY, with no one else to blame.
There is still entrenched racism in much of America. I've been there and experienced it.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2008-06-24 03:41:09)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

I'm not talking excuses lowing. Why would I provide excuses. I'm simply stating facts in case your reading comprehension ain't up to scratch. This is a statistical question.
I am stating facts as well, in case your reading comprehension isn't up to snuff.........Bill Cosby has already stated as much as I have described. Is he a racist, or a realist?

I am still waiting for you to point where I differenciate between races as far as how I feel about lazy worthless people...You claim I am racist, fine, show me where I accept personal irresponsibility from white people and only hound the black community. If I were I racist I would differenciate between the 2 races and judge them differently...I do not. You however can not make that claim.

Anyway, still waiting, where I have chosen white people as my favorite race, or where did I choose white people over achievement and ambition.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

the system of society they have inherited can't possibly be rid of all it's institutional racism in such a short space of time.
It certainly isn't, I've seen it and its not nice.
A 20 something that has never felt the sting of bondage or oppression has no excuse....TODAY the opportunity is there to better yourself, if you refuse to do so TODAY, then you are a failure TODAY, with no one else to blame.
There is still entrenched racism in much of America. I've been there and experienced it.
Really, how so?
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6289|Éire

lowing wrote:

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

I agree with this, but then who are the ones looking for RACIAL distinctions in America today..........Or are you telling me that white America coined the term African American, Asian American etc............If the person who says he wants to be just "pizza" then he nneds to stop referring to HIMSELF as AFRICAN pizza..
Well considering i've never the heard the term 'European American' too often I'd wager that maybe they were coined by the white American populace but that would be conjecture on my part.

No one is denying the existence of lazy, freeloaders in the black community who use the race argument to excuse their own predominantly self-inflicted shortcomings in life. Every community and race has their deadbeats and when a community has an inherited poverty cycle from previous generations then the numbers of these deadbeats are likely to be higher; the black community is one such community that is statistically still very much on the wrong side of the rich-poor divide and as such there are still many social problems in many black communities. Now what you can't do lowing is deny that in the recent past black Americans were not equal with white Americans in society and that kind of mindset doesn't disappear overnight. Although the laws and institutions of the US now legally view all races as equal it is quite another matter when it comes to the mentality of each individual within those institutions and what doesn't help is judging people on a stereotype.

You say black culture is a huge problem and although I agree with some of your criticisms of rap music i would have to ask you if you have carried out any surveys or looked at any studies regarding the attitudes of a comprehensive cross section of all areas of the black community because if not you are just pandering to stereotype. I don't doubt that there are idiots out there who would rather be a pimp than a doctor but to write off a whole race on the back of certain individuals is ludicrous. And also there are plenty of middle class, white people who aspire to this ridiculous, gangsta culture too and they don't end up in prison...they usually end up in ivy league colleges, so the culture isn't the only issue.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Well considering i've never the heard the term 'European American' too often I'd wager that maybe they were coined by the white American populace but that would be conjecture on my part.

No one is denying the existence of lazy, freeloaders in the black community who use the race argument to excuse their own predominantly self-inflicted shortcomings in life. Every community and race has their deadbeats and when a community has an inherited poverty cycle from previous generations then the numbers of these deadbeats are likely to be higher; the black community is one such community that is statistically still very much on the wrong side of the rich-poor divide and as such there are still many social problems in many black communities. Now what you can't do lowing is deny that in the recent past black Americans were not equal with white Americans in society and that kind of mindset doesn't disappear overnight. Although the laws and institutions of the US now legally view all races as equal it is quite another matter when it comes to the mentality of each individual within those institutions and what doesn't help is judging people on a stereotype.

You say black culture is a huge problem and although I agree with some of your criticisms of rap music i would have to ask you if you have carried out any surveys or looked at any studies regarding the attitudes of a comprehensive cross section of all areas of the black community because if not you are just pandering to stereotype. I don't doubt that there are idiots out there who would rather be a pimp than a doctor but to write off a whole race on the back of certain individuals is ludicrous. And also there are plenty of middle class, white people who aspire to this ridiculous, gangsta culture too and they don't end up in prison...they usually end up in ivy league colleges, so the culture isn't the only issue.
Braddock, I have not "written off" anyone or any race. A question was posed, and I addressed the problem as I see it. I even have references to back up what I have said....For me it all boils down to one thing, individualism, and what are you prepared to do with the life you have been given?

Today's black youth are not given a life of slavery or "whites only" water fountains. They have been given a life of equality and opportunity. It is up to them, just like the rest of us, as to what they intend to do with that gift, bought and paid for by their ancestors. The fight is over and the black community has emerged as equals. It is, in fact, the greatest accomplishement of any race in modern history in my humble opinion..

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard