Spidery_Yoda
+399|6268
Just a little thread to let you folks see this . Some interesting stuff here.

There was a thread a while ago on the Steam forums where people suggested questions the then the guy sent them to Valve (He asked Robin and Doug first). Then Robin answered them. They were sent just before the Pyro update, and he just got them back.

David.P do not read this please. There is a heavy hint towards some sort of extreme demoman nerf and I think we can all do without your response . Ok here they are.

P3Z wrote:

Q. The new Maps. What where the influencing factors to choose Turbine and Fastlane (Especially allowing for Robins comments on Redstone a few weeks ago)?

We had a variety of criteria when evaluating the maps. We collected player comments on maps from forums everywhere and emails we’ve received, and combined that with the gameplay data we get from all the TF2 servers out there, to build a list of over 30 interesting community maps. We ran playtests on all of those, and eventually settled on these two. We regard this as the first of several community map releases though, so you can expect to see more in the next class pack. We’re still developing maps internally as well, so you’ll see more official maps from Valve too.

Q. With the release of the above mentioned maps with the Pyro upgrade/achievements, is this something you are considering doing with each character upgrade. If so, will this mean the maps are considered based on the class being upgraded/unlocked?

Yes, we’ll be releasing new maps with each class pack. Right now we’re not really tying them directly to the class being upgraded, because we want to make sure everyone gets something in each pack, even if they don’t play the class being upgraded.

Q. Do Valve have a rough timeline based on the next & final class achievements release? E.g. By the end of July for the next class and end of the year for all classes? Also, who is going to be next and who is likely to be last?

Just like the Pyro, we’ll be releasing the next pack as soon as we’ve got it wrapped up. We’re pretty bad with dates, so it’s not worth me trying to guess when that’ll be. Rest assured, we’re working as fast as we can.

Q: In the Loadout Menu each Medic Unlockable has a Level number attached to it. Why is that?

Right now it’s not doing much at all.

Q: Will we see any more developer's comments?

We’ll be launching a new site any day now that’ll be focused on developer commentary on the changes we’re making. We hope to roll some of the content that appears on that site up into new commentary nodes.

Q. In an interview with Pwnage TV some time ago, Robin explained how the crit system works and also said that they were experimenting with letting players know their crit chance. Is there still a chance this will be implemented or has it fallen by the wayside?

We’re still trying this out, sorry.

Q. Some people are saying that the stickies for the demo are to strong. To the point where 3 stickies can remove a sentry, a dispenser and a full health Engie. Is this something that can/is being addressed or is it classed internally as “balanced”?

We agree that they’re a little too overpowered right now. In fact, internall, we refer to them as “winbombs”. We haven’t reached a decision on what we’ll change yet, though.

Q. The payload map GoldRush seems to have gone down very well. Personally, I love it. However, what’s the chances or timelines for any additional PL Maps being released by Valve or is it down to the community to get some released?

It’s been great to receive such positive feedback on GoldRush, and that feedback made it really easy for us to invest in more. We’re already playtesting the next Payload map, and it’s likely it’ll be in the next class pack.

Q. Pyro Achievements – I know many questions will be answered soon, but one of the main ones is that there is an achievement like the medic, where you need to achieve “1,000,000” – Is this total damage, including Axe and shotgun, or is it purely with the flamethrower?

It’s 1 million fire damage. That includes all damage done directly by the flamethrower or flare gun, along with all damage taken by players burning afterwards.

Q. Based on the lack of communication skills from the Pyro, how challenging is the “Meet the…” video going to be? Are we going to hear them speak and find out if they are Male, Female and which country they come from?

We’re going to keep quiet on the Meet the Pyro movie, sorry. It’s the one we’re having the most fun with.

Q: Last but definitely not least: Robin & Doug, if you HAD to choose a class to be, permanently, which one would it be and why?

Right now, the answer’s pretty easy: the Pyro. The compression blast is something I feel like I’m still learning more uses for every day. The latest one I’m enjoying is pairing up with another Pyro to defend the final bridge in Dustbowl. If enemy invuln pairs try to cross the bridge without paying attention to me, I can blast them off the bridge into the pit. Not sure I’ll get bored of that any time soon.

Hope you all have as much fun with the Pyro as we are!

Robin.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2008-07-04 02:00:43)

B-Scimitar
Defeating your warriors.
+116|6407|Espoo, Finland
We’re already playtesting the next Payload map, and it’s likely it’ll be in the next class pack.
That's good news since Goldrush is already one of my favorites.
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6575|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!
"winbombs"... but if they nerf it i can sense David.P going nuts.
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6433
I'm nothing short of amazed at how much communication Robin gives to the community simply through email.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6491|N. Ireland
We’re pretty bad with dates, so it’s not worth me trying to guess when that’ll be.
lol
kptk92
u
+972|6406|tc_london
Q: In the Loadout Menu each Medic Unlockable has a Level number attached to it. Why is that?

Right now it’s not doing much at all.
Right now
So something else is being brainstormed?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard