rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5869
i currently have a nintendo wii but it doesn't have many good games.

im considering getting a PS3 or XBOX 360, which should i get.
give at least 3 reasons why i should by the one you recommend.

thanks
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6402|The Gem Saloon
well, microsoft is based in "the Virus", so i KNOW you dont want a 360

better tell mommy and daddy to make it a PS3....
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5869

Parker wrote:

well, microsoft is based in "the Virus", so i KNOW you dont want a 360

better tell mommy and daddy to make it a PS3....
good enough answer
no wonder the xbox keeps getting the "ring of death"
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6717|England. Stoke

Parker wrote:

better tell mummy and daddy to make it a PS3....
Fixed and QFT
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6147|New Jersey
PS3

1.  Blu-Ray player
2.  Gran Turismo 5 and Metal Gear Solid 4
3.  Not affiliated with Microsoft
4.  Better controllers (in my opinion... I don't like the big XBOX ones)
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5869

SpIk3y wrote:

PS3

1.  Blu-Ray player
does the PS3 still have free online gaming?
Ryan
+1,230|6851|Alberta, Canada

rammunition wrote:

SpIk3y wrote:

PS3

1.  Blu-Ray player
I think so, yea. 360 you have to pay.
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6147|New Jersey
Oh I forgot - there is no monthly fee like there is for XBOX Live.  That should be reason #1 or 2.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6557|UK

PS3 is eating into the 360s only real claim to fame, the games libary.  The PS3's libary has opened right up, and infact there securing arguably better exclusives. 

Metal gear solid 4 and Gran Turisimo 5 vs Halo 3 tbh.

It has the inbuilt blu ray player and everything in the box u need for wireless connectivity.  It's more portable (doesnt have that dam power brick) and although looks are all subjective, in a media room it does look quite a bit more stylish, as in a proper piece of equipment, where as the 360 looks more like a toy.

360 has a lot going for it though, its cheaper (arguably), it has great games, and its online although you have to pay for it, is head and shoulders above the PS3's network.  Am thinking of going for the new 360 witht he inbuilt blu ray player if they ever do it, simply because of its better online.

Overall I think PS3 clinches it tbh.

Martyn
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6640

Ryan wrote:

rammunition wrote:

SpIk3y wrote:

PS3

1.  Blu-Ray player
I think so, yea. 360 you have to pay.
Of course, no "online" Fee bullshit.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6546|Long Island, New York
360. I own both a PS3 and a 360, and whilst it's nice to have free Wi-Fi and Internet with the PS3, the 360's features besides that reign over it. The only reason why I'd go for a PS3 if I were you is if you have a desire to watch Blu-Rays.

Why the 360? The game selection and the dashboard. The PS3 dashboard is simply annoying and confusing, and PSN is incredibly annoying. You can't even open up your friends list in most games on the PS3, whilst you can just press the Xbox button on the 360 controller and see your profile (which also is much more advanced than PS3 profiles), your messages, your friends list and so many others. Yes, XBL might not be free...50 bucks a year for a 12 month card, but it pays off big time. It's far, FAR superior to PSN. I'd rather pay 50 bucks for something that gives quality than get something that's free that has low quality and an annoying interface.

The 360 controller is also MUCH better than the Dualshock. It's better fitting to your hands and the joysticks are very well placed to allow maximum control.

If you get a 360 Elite, you get a free HDMI cable and 120 gig hard drive. The 360 in terms of hardware might be inferior to the PS3, but in all out enjoyability and fun, the 360 is far superior. The PS3's interface is way too bland.

And finally, games.

Gears of War/Gears of War 2 (November '08)
Forza Motorsport 2
Project Gotham Racing 3/4
Dead Rising
Bioshock (though it's on the PC too)
Too Human (August '08)
Halo series
Crackdown
Mass Effect (same as Bioshock)
Ninja Gaiden II (June '08)

Any of those games are enough to get me to buy a 360, if I didn't have one. Gears of War is INCREDIBLY fun, Halo (although MP is a bit overrated) is very enjoyable and has a very interesting storyline, and PGR 4 and FM2 are incredible racers. The PS3 has some decent exclusives (Uncharted, Resistance, GT5), but not enough to reign superior over the 360's game selection.

The PS3 is a good console, don't get me wrong. But it's sort of like comparing a Supercomputer to a High-End desktop. The supercomputer might have better specs and you may be able to get to do more things with it, but the High-End desktop reigns superior for all out enjoyability rate.

Edit: Also; achievements. Achievements may seem like an assinine thing to say why the 360 is superior, but they simply make the games more enjoyable and a higher replayability rate.

Last edited by Poseidon (2008-05-24 12:25:15)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6774|UK
I would say Bell has it about right.

PS3 has:

Slightly more powerful hardware
Free online (£40 for online with xbox)
Looks nice  (opinion)
controllers are lighter which i prefer
built in wireless ($100 wireless adapter)
Blu-ray
60 less games than the xbox360 that have been developed or are in development (really not that much of a difference when the 360 had a whole YEAR lead)

If you want a xbox of the same hardware quality as the PS3 you have to pay:

xbox 360 elite - £250
online - £40
wireless adapter - £50
Blu-Ray (I dont have one and im not going to fork out for one) - I think I saw estimates of £200 might be wrong on that though.

So my xbox 360 has cost me (if i got a blu-ray for it) £540 and that doesn't include the extra £40 a year for online. Even without the blu-ray it cost more than my PS3.

Poseidon failed to mention achievements are coming to the PS3 and so are major improvements to the PSN system which will include a XMB. In effect making PSN a free version of XBL. Although atm obviously XBL is definately better, but for me personally not so much that I care.

Last edited by Vilham (2008-05-24 12:32:31)

Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6640

Poseidon wrote:

360. I own both a PS3 and a 360, and whilst it's nice to have free Wi-Fi and Internet with the PS3, the 360's features besides that reign over it. The only reason why I'd go for a PS3 if I were you is if you have a desire to watch Blu-Rays.

Why the 360? The game selection and the dashboard. The PS3 dashboard is simply annoying and confusing, and PSN is incredibly annoying. You can't even open up your friends list in most games on the PS3, whilst you can just press the Xbox button on the 360 controller and see your profile (which also is much more advanced than PS3 profiles), your messages, your friends list and so many others. Yes, XBL might not be free...50 bucks a year for a 12 month card, but it pays off big time. It's far, FAR superior to PSN. I'd rather pay 50 bucks for something that gives quality than get something that's free that has low quality and an annoying interface.

The 360 controller is also MUCH better than the Dualshock. It's better fitting to your hands and the joysticks are very well placed to allow maximum control.

If you get a 360 Elite, you get a free HDMI cable and 120 gig hard drive. The 360 in terms of hardware might be inferior to the PS3, but in all out enjoyability and fun, the 360 is far superior. The PS3's interface is way too bland.

And finally, games.

Forza Motorsport 2
Dead Rising
Too Human (August '08)
Halo series
Crackdown

Any of those games are enough to get me to buy a 360, if I didn't have one. Gears of War is INCREDIBLY fun, Halo (although MP is a bit overrated) is very enjoyable and has a very interesting storyline, and PGR 4 and FM2 are incredible racers. The PS3 has some decent exclusives (Uncharted, Resistance, GT5), but not enough to reign superior over the 360's game selection.

The PS3 is a good console, don't get me wrong. But it's sort of like comparing a Supercomputer to a High-End desktop. The supercomputer might have better specs and you may be able to get to do more things with it, but the High-End desktop reigns superior for all out enjoyability rate.

Edit: Also; achievements. Achievements may seem like an assinine thing to say why the 360 is superior, but they simply make the games more enjoyable and a higher replayability rate.
This guy...

Doesn't know what he's on about
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6546|Long Island, New York

Gooners wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

And finally, games.

Forza Motorsport 2
Dead Rising
Too Human (August '08)
Halo series
Crackdown

This guy...

Or maybe I'm just not biased like most people here and I'm able to prove that by having and using both consoles daily?
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6640

Poseidon wrote:

Gooners wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

And finally, games.

Forza Motorsport 2
Dead Rising
Too Human (August '08)
Halo series
Crackdown

This guy...
Or maybe I'm just not biased like most people here and I'm able to prove that by having and using both consoles daily?
Hey, chill out.. I'm just joking around, hence the

Why are people so tense on these forums today,

Last edited by Gooners (2008-05-24 12:33:35)

Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6557|UK

Gooners wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Gooners wrote:

This guy...

FANBOY!

Nah am just kidding.  I think what we have proved here though that it is a subjective choice.  The fact of the matter is what is appealing to me/you, isnt always going to be the same for the next guy, therefor asking someone else what is best isnt really going to do you any favours. 
Have a look as to what is coming out on the machines, spec the stuff you want and make a descision. 

I think Poseidon brought up a good point before he even went into the nuts and bolts of his argument, and that is he is able to justify having the two of them, and so do many others (am planning on it aswell), so regardless what you go for, your not going to be 100% satisfied with it.  But one of the machines will serve you better than the other, depending on what you want.

Martyn
Tehremos
Parcel of ol' Crams
+128|6416|Somersetshire

Gooners wrote:

This is a serious topic, that's why!

Grrrr
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5869
money isn't a problem.

though the Xbox those have heating issues, which a few of my mates have experienced(RROD).
The PS3 library is getting better, i also doubt the longevity of the xbox, one of the guys behind the PS3 has said it will last 10 years, the xbox i have doubts seeing they release a new model every year due to issues and so on
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6657
My ps3 broke for some unknown reason after about 3 months. gg
Dr.PhiL
Danmark
+30|6677|Up North
jord
+2,382|6686|The North, beyond the wall.

rammunition wrote:

money isn't a problem.

though the Xbox those have heating issues, which a few of my mates have experienced(RROD).
The PS3 library is getting better, i also doubt the longevity of the xbox, one of the guys behind the PS3 has said it will last 10 years, the xbox i have doubts seeing they release a new model every year due to issues and so on
If money is no problem you wouldn't need to keep it 10 years. Seeing as how I'm almost positive both company's will have released new consoles before 2018.
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5869

jord wrote:

rammunition wrote:

money isn't a problem.

If money is no problem you wouldn't need to keep it 10 years. Seeing as how I'm almost positive both company's will have released new consoles before 2018.
there are 2 many issues with the 360, the RROD, disc scratching claims etc. it does have games like halo, Gears of war etc which the PS3 doesn't have.
i wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft release a new console in the next 5 years
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6557|UK

rammunition wrote:

jord wrote:

rammunition wrote:

money isn't a problem.

there are 2 many issues with the 360, the RROD, disc scratching claims etc. it does have games like halo, Gears of war etc which the PS3 doesn't have.
Apparantly they have a 360 releasing in the fall with a blu ray player where they COULD offer a technically superior machine.  Though thats a dangerous (Gaming PCesq) road to go down, where you need to constantly upgrade your hardware to keep up with titles.  Sony isnt exactly inosent with that either though, theres like, what four versions of the PS3 atleast?

Martyn
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6640

Also, people will buy Xbox because its cheaper.

But think about about your online fee's for the next few years, 40 Pounds for 1 year x 5 years = 200 Pounds almost as much as you would pay for the initial console. (I used 5 years, because I don't expect Microsoft to release anything till about then).

+

The HD Movie era is coming to an end as far as retailers are saying. So Instead of buying your 200 pound Blu-Ray Player, why not get the PS3.

+

PS3's Game Library is improving a lot.

= PS3 being the better choice.
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5869

Bell wrote:

rammunition wrote:

jord wrote:

Apparantly they have a 360 releasing in the fall with a blu ray player where they COULD offer a technically superior machine.  Though thats a dangerous (Gaming PCesq) road to go down, where you need to constantly upgrade your hardware to keep up with titles.  Sony isnt exactly inosent with that either though, theres like, what four versions of the PS3 atleast?

Martyn
there are/were 3 versions of the PS3 in the U.K, 2 models have been discontinued, the 20gb and 60gb. The 40gb only remains.
Microsoft seem panicking with all these new models, i see no point with the blu ray add on as blue ray players are getting cheaper in the U.K, some are available for £150/$300 now.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard