Poll

UK residents, what is your stance on a possible UK breakup?

I'm English and I support an independent England33%33% - 12
I'm English and I support the United Kingdom36%36% - 13
I'm Scottish and I support an independent Scotland2%2% - 1
I'm Scottish and I support the United Kingdom5%5% - 2
I'm N. Irish and I support an independent N. Irleand2%2% - 1
I'm N. Irish and I support a united Ireland8%8% - 3
I'm N. Irish and I support the United Kingdom2%2% - 1
I'm Welsh and I support an independent Wales0%0% - 0
I'm Welsh and I support the United Kingdom5%5% - 2
I'm still undecided2%2% - 1
Total: 36
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6462|Tyne & Wear, England
Note: If you are not from the UK, please null vote.  Other than that please voice your opinions.

In recent times, speculation over the future of the United Kingdom has grown.  Last year, Chancellor of the Exchequer Gordon Brown was quoted as saying that the United Kingdom was being threatened by ”an opportunist group of nationalists”.

Now as Prime Minister of the UK, Gordon Brown is fighting against increased support for Scottish independence.  This month, Scottish Labour leader and unionist Wendy Alexander has called for an early referendum which would lead to the Scottish people voting for or against Scotland seceding from the union.

But it’s not just the Scots who cast doubt on the union. A recent poll carried out by the Telegraph has suggested that 48% of English people believe that England should become independent from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

With all of this doubt, I was wondering how my fellow Britons feel about the situation, and where you would like to see your country with regards to the UK, in the future?  And for everyone, do you think the UK should break up and what would the effects of a UK break-up be, upon England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, and even the rest of the world?
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6342|tropical regions of london
whatever the will of the people is.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6670|UK
in my 30 years in the UK ive never been to scotland or wales. So i vote BNP style for a independent England so we can spend all that moolah on ze english instead instead of wasting it on the jocks.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6648

We'd be a lot richer without the Scots. That said, it works as it is, I don't see the point in changing it.
13rin
+977|6478
I wonder what Cam would vote?
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6342|tropical regions of london
Cam aint in the UK
jsnipy
+3,276|6521|...

I null voted out of respect.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge

DBBrinson1 wrote:

I wonder what Cam would vote?

God Save the Queen wrote:

Cam aint in the UK
Still, it will be interesting to hear what the Irish have to say.
Fosterthelegend
:)
+97|6614|Kent, UK
If 48% of English people believe that England should become independent from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, that still suggests that 52% feel Engalnd shouldn't.

Personally I don't have much of an opinion about this; I think I would have more of an opinion if I was scottish, seeing as that would be where the bigger change would be.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge

Fosterthelegend wrote:

If 48% of English people believe that England should become independent from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, that still suggests that 52% feel Engalnd shouldn't.
The point is it's not exactly resounding support for the union now is it?  Which is surprising coming from the home nation.
Fosterthelegend
:)
+97|6614|Kent, UK

KILLSWITCH wrote:

Fosterthelegend wrote:

The point is it's not exactly resounding support for the union now is it?  Which is surprising coming from the home nation.
True, but I think that many people aren't too bothered either way.
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6672|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
I hate politics and all that serious stuff and for years my background was growing up in England, being a proud Welsh lad and having the piss ripped out of me for it.  Then after leaving school for the next 10 years I grew up thinking everyone in England was anti Welsh and we always came second best.  I've chilled a lot since becoming a Dad and know that England and Wales work well together.  Our country isn't fucked so don't try fixing it.

Im Welsh, not british, britian used to be Great but isn't anymore, I wish it was.  Split Britian up how you like but we will always fight together side by side when needed.

Last edited by 1927 (2008-05-20 08:14:54)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6765|UK
Tbh we should break up simply for the sake of the English economy, dont mind the welsh or the scottish, but its not in Englands interest to support them.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6492|N. Ireland
I'm N. Irish and I support the United Kingdom

Why? Postage fluctuation, Sterling and there will be riots if Ireland is reunited. However, I am not anti-ROI.

Last edited by kylef (2008-05-20 11:06:17)

..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6648
Keep it united tbh. Ultimately what kind of gain would a country like Wales gain from a complete split from Britain. No offense to my Welsh amigos here but they wouldn't be able to sustain themselves. Their economy relies on British industry and without it I'm Wales would potentially struggle. Ireland is a different story and I would support an independent Ireland if that's what was wanted. They have shown the world that they can build up a solid economy and mark themselves as a developed country.

In the case of Scotland=> Nope..don't even think about it but I'm just saying that out of principle because my family has a long history of repressing the Scots. Go Edward I. I'm, how we say, carrying on the family legacy.

It would be nice if the Kingdom remained United for the glory though.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6488|Gogledd Cymru

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Keep it united tbh. Ultimately what kind of gain would a country like Wales gain from a complete split from Britain. No offense to my Welsh amigos here but they wouldn't be able to sustain themselves. Their economy relies on British industry and without it I'm Wales would potentially struggle.
Ever heard of where pot noodle comes from? Welsh mines, thats where.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

Fosterthelegend wrote:

Personally I don't have much of an opinion about this; I think I would have more of an opinion if I was scottish, seeing as that would be where the bigger change would be.
That's not true at all.

What about those who have no opinion? Abstentions would make up a fairly large portion of any of those polls. That suggests more people would rather the UK split than did not.

I reckon it'd be good for England, ok for Scotland, but Wales would be fucked as would N. Ireland (unless, as would probably happen, they reunited with the rest of Ireland). England subsidises all the other parts of the union so the only effects it'd have on me would be positive.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6620|London, England
I couldn't care less about Scotland/The Rest. England would be better off on its own in more ways than one. Ireland/Northern can sort out its own problems. Most people in N.Ireland that consider themselves British and thus want N.Ireland to stay are Scots-Irish, thus. Let it be a Scottish/Irish problem.

Nah, but seriously. Economically, England would be better off without Scotland etc.. It's funny that it's Scotland that are pushing for it. They'd be screwed without England.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6488|Gogledd Cymru

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

I couldn't care less about Scotland/The Rest. England would be better off on its own in more ways than one. Ireland/Northern can sort out its own problems. Most people in N.Ireland that consider themselves British and thus want N.Ireland to stay are Scots-Irish, thus. Let it be a Scottish/Irish problem.

Nah, but seriously. Economically, England would be better off without Scotland etc.. It's funny that it's Scotland that are pushing for it. They'd be screwed without England.
Enjoy your pot noodle prices skyrocketing if Wales breaks off imo.

Crumlin would be the next bev'ly hills.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6620|London, England

The Sheriff wrote:

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

Enjoy your pot noodle prices skyrocketing if Wales breaks off imo.

Crumlin would be the next bev'ly hills.
Shut up with your pot noodle

Besides, we'll all be part of the Eurofag Union so it'd still be a free trade zone. So prices wouldn't be affected that much. (I just made that all up but I'm assuming the EU is a free trade zone rite and that the only reason Pot Noodle would increase in price would be trade reasons)

fu berk.

Oh yeah and Berkshire = In England, so you wouldn't be allowed to use it anymore

Last edited by Mek-Stizzle (2008-05-20 12:43:33)

m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6670|UK

The Sheriff wrote:

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Keep it united tbh. Ultimately what kind of gain would a country like Wales gain from a complete split from Britain. No offense to my Welsh amigos here but they wouldn't be able to sustain themselves. Their economy relies on British industry and without it I'm Wales would potentially struggle.
Ever heard of where pot noodle comes from? Welsh mines, thats where.
Nippon Welsh mines? Cos the Japs invented instant noodles.

Instant noodles originate from instant versions of the Japanese dish ramen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_noodles

It's from wiki so it must be true.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

True, I don't think Scotland would be ready for independence yet and the SNP knows it.  I'm not sure that Scottish voters would even vote for secession from the union if given the chance, they aren't stupid.

I just think that the Scottish National Party is trying to jump on the anti-British sentiment bandwagon after the recent wars whilst they can, in the hope that it can give them the advantage.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6548|UK

KILLSWITCH wrote:

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

True, I don't think Scotland would be ready for independence yet and the SNP knows it.  I'm not sure that Scottish voters would even vote for secession from the union if given the chance, they aren't stupid.

I just think that the Scottish National Party is trying to jump on the anti-British sentiment bandwagon after the recent wars whilst they can, in the hope that it can give them the advantage.
Thats all it is, Alex Salmonds 'spark a national conversation' to my mind atleast didnt happen, it doesnt really have any more sway than it did back in 1999.  The SNP has done a couple of things to gain public favour, gestures even, but nothing to prove to the majority that they would be capable of running the country, and making us all richer (the scots) as they so claim.

I, personally am in favour of the union (which is funny since I was raised catholic ), for the simple fact it works as it is.  And it really isnt as easy as saying England subsidises the rest.  Our countries are so intertwined with each other that a seperation is going to have bad implications for the lot of us.  The real winner the SNP have tried to push is that Scotland would have ultimate control over our oil reserves, I think many of the middle class english lads down south forget things like that, and indeed the point I made earlier about infastructure being so intertwined.  It isnt a case of, white hall singing a cheque for £30billion every year too holyrood, you have to consider how that taxation has came about on a UK level, the English didn't derive that cash soley out of English soil.

I think, the English should have there own parliment though, a devolved one I mean.  We have one for the Scots, the Welsh and the Irish, so why not one for our English pals.  It removes that whole west loithian question crap I hear so much about, and alots for devolved issues specific to England to be debated BY English MPs, and non devolved matters such as defense etc to be ran in westminster. 

Although I can forsee conflict as to whom would be the actual leader of the UK, the British Prime Minister or the various First Ministers of the union.

Give the English there own parliment, and get that fat bastard salmond out of Edinburgh, he anoys me

Besides, I love going down to London and scoring with my immense Scottish accent, think of Gerard Butler (300 guy) crossed with Billy Connely and your there!!!!!!

Martyn

Last edited by Bell (2008-05-20 14:51:46)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6554

God Save the Queen wrote:

Cam aint in the UK

https://uk.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTf22kSTNIC7wAJVdWBQx./SIG=123nap32u/EXP=1211407140/**http%3A//www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1916proc.jpg

https://farm1.static.flickr.com/111/294631235_f530b62518.jpg?v=0

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-05-20 15:01:36)

IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6741|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
N.Irish but a citizen of the Republic by birth right.. I'll shed no tears at the breaking up of the U.K.   An independent Ulster,  is equally as palatable to me, but, if you actually read the Irish constitution, and live on this island (no matter where you come from originally) how you could find it un-agreeable is beyond me tbh.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard