• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Need help on formatting a windows system32 corrupted hard drive?
Maj.Do
+85|6777|good old CA
Read Subject^, Alright so yea i need help on formatting the hard drive, i cant boot from safemode because Windows/system32/config/system is corrupted.  How can i format it?  Also before when i tried installing Windows again (before formatting) it said it couldnt detect the hard drive  : \.  Whats the problem?

Can you format it thru the windows recovery console? whats the cmd.  i tried the C>/ something  Format /?
spud924
+12|6478|The Sticks, WA, USA
in the recovery counsole type help for all of the commands

if it cant detect your hard drive try messing with the bios to see if that can detect it. Im having issues too with HD's and it wont detect either so im just buyen a new one

Last edited by spud924 (2006-11-23 14:49:49)

JT_001
+17|6445|Canada

Maj.Do wrote:

Read Subject^, Alright so yea i need help on formatting the hard drive, i cant boot from safemode because Windows/system32/config/system is corrupted.  How can i format it?  Also before when i tried installing Windows again (before formatting) it said it couldnt detect the hard drive  : \.  Whats the problem?

Can you format it thru the windows recovery console? whats the cmd.  i tried the C>/ something  Format /?
-----------------------------------------------------

Boot up using your Windows XP CD in the CD-ROM drive....... it'll let you format your HDD.

If it can't find your HDD, then check the cables etc... could be your drive is shot.
Maj.Do
+85|6777|good old CA
Update, Tried the cmd formart C: : \ lol worked.  it asked to go on with formatting and i typed y, and prttymuch i got the C>: thing again and im not sure if its working

Last edited by Maj.Do (2006-11-23 14:52:28)

]GoD[JiN
+4|6585

Maj.Do wrote:

I,d bet £10 your hard drive was fubar,ed mt8y windows files dont just corrupted you had a l33t virus or your HD just died :p
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6741
start your comp and hit F8(some moboards are different... try...del,F2 also)
... so it opens the bios...  change the boot drive order so that your cd player is the first boot device... hit F10 and save changes...   
Then open your cd drive and make sure the XP disc is in there... restart your comp and it should boot off the xp disk in your cd tray...   then try repairing or you can delete the partition and reformat and install xp on your comp...
Love is the answer
Maj.Do
+85|6777|good old CA
booted to XP cd, tried repair console and i get the message no HD was detected
DecJW
Webhoster
+38|6609

Maj.Do wrote:

booted to XP cd, tried repair console and i get the message no HD was detected
Get a new one
t2krambo
Banned
+99|6553|Panama
the midgets stole it:p
Maj.Do
+85|6777|good old CA
If the HD is messed how come i can still get data off of it when using Linux.
{TJM}**generalray
+1|6395
if windows boots up do a system restore.........happened to me a few times.........if it dont work do a system restore and re-install graphics card drivers
jcurts
+25|6391|Coventry, UK
Hi there mate,

Once you´ve formatted the HDD, its  kindda difficult, but not impossible to retrieve data back.

Do you have a branded PC or is it a custom built ? I had a similar problem with a dell 8400, I went through windows restore, formatted hdd and then when tried to reboot, no hdd found error. This was related to the way the bios was configured. My HDD was there, it was working fine, but this configuration didn't let me access it and hence the NO HDD Horror message.

If you have access to another pc, I would suggest you plug the hdd there as slave, log into windows and through there, format it. Now, if you really go commando into this, remember to set the partition as primary.

Hope this works for you.

Cheers.
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Need help on formatting a windows system32 corrupted hard drive?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard