Poll

Should Quebec break free of the shackles of Canada?

Yes43%43% - 27
No56%56% - 35
Total: 62
CameronPoe
+2,925|6570
Well, should Quebec break free of the shackles of their vicious Canadian overlords? Jesting aside, I have been reading up on the issue of late and would like to hear Canadian (and others) opinions on the matter of Quebec potentially seceding from Canada to become independent. Is it a homogenous cultural entity distinct from Canada proper, that should break free to protect its own culture, heritage and interests? Or is this fanciful nonsense? Answers on a postcard...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6174986.stm

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-11-23 05:42:34)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6666|USA
Sure let them, what is the worst that could happen, Montreal has to rename it's hockey team????
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6673|BC, Canada
i dont really see any shackles there, but what eves.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6570

Nicholas Langdon wrote:

i dont really see any shackles there, but what eves.
Should I have included sarcasm quotes on the shackles bit?
Rygar
Canucklehead
+69|6660|Nova Scotia

lowing wrote:

Sure let them, what is the worst that could happen, Montreal has to rename it's hockey team????
This is exactly why they shouldn't leave.

Seriously though, I wouldn't like to see Quebec separate.  I don't know why they feel they have to be recognized as being so different from the rest of the country.  Go check out Cape Breton and Newfoundland if you want different, and each province recognizes it's own differences from the rest.  I consider Quebec to be as big a part of this country as my own province.
I don't understand the underlying problems Quebec has with the rest of the country though, and they probably will separate eventually.   Each time they have a referendum and the 'no to separation' side wins just makes the 'yes' camp whine more and more and more, and we all know that crying gets results.

Last edited by Rygar (2006-11-23 06:28:27)

EVieira
+105|6492|Lutenblaag, Molvania
I wonder what a Canadian Civil War would be like... All those guys dressed in red riding horses charging at the french-talking rebels...

But seriously, would Canada allow Quebec to separate just like that? And where would the US side?
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
WilhelmSissener
Banned
+557|6747|Oslo, Norway
No, it gives us something to call canadians stupid for...
BlokieBF2
+11|6666
The only problem is that their version of breaking free involves :

Still using Canadian Currency, canadian health care, canadian welfare  ..... basicly they still want all the goodies from Canada but they don't want to pay for it

Distinct society my ass, they are just Canadians who talk funny IMO
commissargizz
+123|6478| Heaven
Does Mr.Poe have an opinion on everything,.......he should run for president.
Leprechaun56
Proud Infantry Whore
+31|6598|U.S.A

WilhelmSissener wrote:

No, it gives us something to call canadians stupid for...
ROFL !!! +1
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6543|Global Command
Damn those French trouble  makers.

btw   null   I don't care.

Last edited by ATG (2006-11-23 09:43:29)

oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6533|Πάϊ
I don't really like change.

Last edited by oug (2006-11-23 09:58:36)

ƒ³
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6641|Canada
no, we are supposed to b a united country. i have family in quebec. i dont feel like goin thru customs everytime i want to see them. the seperatists are a minority, i do not want to see what happens if the do become a sovereign country.....

Last edited by destruktion_6143 (2006-11-23 22:04:45)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6786|PNW

CameronPoe wrote:

Well, should Quebec break free of the shackles of their vicious Canadian overlords? Jesting aside, I have been reading up on the issue of late and would like to hear Canadian (and others) opinions on the matter of Quebec potentially seceding from Canada to become independent. Is it a homogenous cultural entity distinct from Canada proper, that should break free to protect its own culture, heritage and interests? Or is this fanciful nonsense? Answers on a postcard...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6174986.stm
Eastern Washington (state) once moved to break off from its western half due to stark political differences and the sheer favor allocated to the west, but it didn't go through.
LT.Victim
+1,175|6577|British Columbia, Canada
No..

Thats about as stupid as any other Province breaking apart from Canada and Forming there own Country.

It wont happen.

The Quebec People are still Paranoid that Quebec the will be over run by English speaking people and that they will loose there Language and Religion Forever.

So, they make stupid laws like..

Every Public Sign in Quebec has to be in French. Even the Stop Signs, yet the stop signs in France are in English and Ideas like breaking free from Canada and making their own Country..

I could really care less if they did it, since I'm from the west and it doesn't affect me. The only problem I have is that it breaks apart Canada, and I think we would loose the Title "Second Largest Country in the world"

There has always been a Rival in Canada between the French and the English, even before the country was declared "Canada." Wars were Fought between "Upper Canada" (Now know as Ontario) and "Lower Canada" (Quebec) in the past.

Ontario and Quebec are still Fighting with each other, not on the battlefield, but in the Hockey Rink..

Quebec is Apart of Canada's History, and is here to stay.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6419|North Carolina
Hell yes!  If Quebec separated from the rest of Canada, then the rest of Canada would come out ahead financially.  If I were Canadian, I would ENCOURAGE the independence movement.  Half of the Quebecois apparently aren't aware that Quebec depends on the rest of Canada for financial support.

If anyone has a rightful desire to be independent, it's Alberta.  They are the opposite in that they fund the livelihood of the rest of Canada.  They've got loads of money from the oil and natural gas markets, and they understandably have their separatists as well.

Quebec would just be screwing themselves if they separated, but hey, I say, let them see the error of their arrogant ways.

By the way, I think Stephen Harper is pandering to the Quebecois because he realizes these things, and because the cooperation of the Bloc Quebecois allowed a no-confidence vote to go through and force a new election to be held in 2005, which in turn, resulted in Harper becoming PM.

Last edited by Turquoise (2006-11-23 12:41:47)

VspyVspy
Sniper
+183|6687|A sunburnt country
Where's Quebec?
ShellShock.PwN
+31|6802|Barrie Ontario
they think this will just change over night, if they want to be their own country move them up north so they arent in the middle of the fucking country.

Last edited by ShellShock.PwN (2006-11-23 12:39:00)

LT.Victim
+1,175|6577|British Columbia, Canada

Turquoise wrote:

Hell yes!  If Quebec separated from the rest of Canada, then the rest of Canada would come out ahead financially.  If I were Canadian, I would ENCOURAGE the independence movement.  Half of the Quebecois apparently aren't aware that Quebec depends on the rest of Canada for financial support.

If anyone has a rightful desire to be independent, it's Alberta.  They are the opposite in that they fund the livelihood of the rest of Canada.  They've got loads of money from the oil and natural gas markets, and they understandably have their separatists as well.

Quebec would just be screwing themselves if they separated, but hey, I say, let them see the error of their arrogant ways.
LOL, I never thought of that..

Ya Everyone in Alberta is Rich..

No PST and everything like that.. must be nice..

If your going to buy a car or something really expensive and you live in Canada, but it from Alberta.
Turquoise
O Canada

LT.Victim wrote:

LOL, I never thought of that..

Ya Everyone in Alberta is Rich..

No PST and everything like that.. must be nice..

If your going to buy a car or something really expensive and you live in Canada, but it from Alberta.
Yeah, I've considered moving to Alberta.  It sounds like a nice place, but I want to visit it first.
CPHighwind
+3|6577
No. I'm a French Canadian or Québecois, but atleast I'm not a stupid ignorant prick. Alot of French Canadians people AND polititians are supid racist bastards and hate everything that is English. Lot's of people would lose their jobs for no reason. People that live in Ontario and work in Québec and people that live in Québec and work in Ontario.  Some say it's because we're being assimilated by the "English People". No we're not, WE'RE LEARNING HOW TO BE NORMAL BY LEARNING ENGLISH.

Another thing.

You know that Mazda commrecial "Zoom Zoom"? Here it was changed to "Vroom Vroom". Why? ZOOM ZOOM IS IN ENGLISH IT MUST BE BAD!

Quebec is a part of Canada. Hopefully, Quebec won't get seperated from Canada by racists separatists.

Last edited by CPHighwind (2006-11-23 12:59:15)

Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6645|Washington, DC

No. What the fuck's next? Oklahoma wants to secede from the Union?
Turquoise
O Canada

CPHighwind wrote:

No. I'm a French Canadian or Québecois, but atleast I'm not a stupid ignorant prick. Alot of French Canadians people AND polititians are supid racist bastards and hate everything that is English. Lot's of people would lose their jobs for no reason. People that live in Ontario and work in Québec and people that live in Québec and work in Ontario.  Some say it's because we're being assimilated by the "English People". No we're not, WE'RE LEARNING HOW TO BE NORMAL BY LEARNING ENGLISH.

Another thing.

You know that Mazda commrecial "Zoom Zoom"? Here it was changed to "Vroom Vroom". Why? ZOOM ZOOM IS IN ENGLISH IT MUST BE BAD!
LOL...  interesting stuff.  I will give the Quebecois credit for one thing.  You have some absolutely beautiful women.

But yeah, I'm glad you see the practical approach of language assimilation.  Once again, I'm not Canadian, but if I was, I wouldn't have a problem with Quebecois speaking French among each other, but for practical reasons, English is the language of the rest of Canada.

Now, if only we could explain the American equivalent to a large portion of our Mexican and Cuban immigrants....

Last edited by Turquoise (2006-11-23 12:58:09)

[UTQ]_Ausch88
Banned
+23|6509
"Some say it's because we're being assimilated by the "English People". No we're not, WE'RE LEARNING HOW TO BE NORMAL BY LEARNING ENGLISH."

you are learning how to be normal by learning english?

Turquoise
O Canada

[UTQ]_Ausch88 wrote:

"Some say it's because we're being assimilated by the "English People". No we're not, WE'RE LEARNING HOW TO BE NORMAL BY LEARNING ENGLISH."

you are learning how to be normal by learning english?

Maybe what he really means is that the Quebecois need to learn English in order to communicate well with everyone in Canada outside of Quebec.  So yeah...  "being normal" was an awkward way of putting it....

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard