Wojjie
+0|6816
I think XML feed can lead to some webmasters not giving credit where it deserves. In a perfect world, every webmaster that would use the feed would link back to bf2s.com, but most likely there will be some webmasters that will use it and try to make it out as his own.
Devil
+0|6816
So there will be a downloadable version of this stats program you guys are running available to the public shortly? If this is what your saying that would be great...
BoDGie
+0|6816|Australia
XML would not decrease the server load at the EA/Dice. If anything it would INCREASE it because more people would be trying to use it and then you just have a middleman that's gotta take the load to.
Gryphon
+0|6817|Everett, WA, USA
Serving a generated flat xml file is quite less of a load than EA's current system of reading directly from their database. It would decrease the load.
SodaBob
+-1|6813|Indiana, US
That's what I was thinking too, though I wasn't talking about EA serving the information as XML.  However, that's a great idea, too - if EA created a secondary stats server that you could query and get XML from, that would probably fix whatever problems with DOS attacks they've had, AND allow anyone to query the stats database.

What I was saying was that, if chuy implimented my idea (or something similar), we could use bf2s.com as a sort of 'filter' between EA's stats server and our websites.  bf2s.com would grab the info from EA (just like it does now for the player stats pages on bf2s.com), but instead of returning HTML, it would return just the raw data as an XML file.  Then we website owners/developers could do whatever we wished with the data, and furthermore he could then re-release his stats package for web developers, perhaps as a simple XML stylesheet or something of that nature, or whatever.

As for giving credit where credit is due, I agree, though the stats package that he had distributed in the past could be just as easily modified to not indicate chuy's authorship, unless I'm missing something.

ANOTHER IDEA would be that he could create a little javascript thing similar to those "old fashioned" newsfeed services, like http://www.moreover.com/ ???  Though I'm not sure they still use that technology for newsfeeds, hopefully you know what I'm talking about?  Here's an example:

http://www.sodabob.com/Science/
Mr NiceGuy
Hi!

Just tesing my new local stats sig....

[url=http://www.nbfclansite.com/html/bf2stats/index.php?page=plr&player=1][img]http://www.nbfclansite.com/html/bf2stats/sig/44771621.png[/img][/url]

This is just the same as bf2s, but only local!!
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6817|"Frisco"

SodaBob wrote:

That's what I was thinking too, though I wasn't talking about EA serving the information as XML.  However, that's a great idea, too - if EA created a secondary stats server that you could query and get XML from, that would probably fix whatever problems with DOS attacks they've had, AND allow anyone to query the stats database.

What I was saying was that, if chuy implimented my idea (or something similar), we could use bf2s.com as a sort of 'filter' between EA's stats server and our websites.  bf2s.com would grab the info from EA (just like it does now for the player stats pages on bf2s.com), but instead of returning HTML, it would return just the raw data as an XML file.  Then we website owners/developers could do whatever we wished with the data, and furthermore he could then re-release his stats package for web developers, perhaps as a simple XML stylesheet or something of that nature, or whatever.

ANOTHER IDEA would be that he could create a little javascript thing similar to those "old fashioned" newsfeed services, like http://www.moreover.com/ ???  Though I'm not sure they still use that technology for newsfeeds, hopefully you know what I'm talking about?  Here's an example:
My answer on this is still no. If no other reason, I simply couldn't afford the bandwidth. Right now the ads pay for this site (and the cost is mostly bandwidth) and if I started shoving tons of data off site, then suddenly my ads are no longer seen, and thus I get no revenues. No money == dead site.

The *only* way I would do this is if I had some guaranteed way to continue making enough money off the site to support it. However, there are only a few viable methods I can think of that might still bring in money. A JavaScript news feed could work, but it's really easy to hack those. A compiled PHP script could be done, but then circumventing it's output could be done with HTML and CSS. Finally, some kind of supscription service could be possible, but then I have to deal with a the big hassle of user registration, login system, useage tracking, login/pass sharing, violations of useage, and billing -- none of which I care to take on. I'm far more interested in making this site better than tracking down and dealing with a few bad apples.

Besides which, even if I did do something like this, as soon as ea releases the new system, it suddenly becomes pointless. No one will pay or put up with ads to get what they can have for free.

SodaBob wrote:

As for giving credit where credit is due, I agree, though the stats package that he had distributed in the past could be just as easily modified to not indicate chuy's authorship, unless I'm missing something.
Even when the package was completely free, I still had people breaking the license and removing my copyright notice. I don't want to involve money into such an equation.
SodaBob
+-1|6813|Indiana, US
Hey, no problem, just some thoughts.  I can tell you I /really/ appreciate all the hard work you've done - your site is so much nicer than looking at stats in BFHQ - and will visit some of your ad sponsors to help you out...
opello
+1|6811
Where can the 'general public' find out news about the public stats querying system?  I've found one site (http://bf2.fun-o-matic.org/index.php/BF2Stats) but it doesn't have any news on the disabling of the asp.net stats interface, or list a new one.
Thanks, and of course, great site.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6817|"Frisco"

I dont know. Right now EA is treaing me like part of the "general public" -- even if I could, i've got no inside info to share
Hansje.NL
Admin..

Since you can create this, can you make a small tcl script for us quakenet users too?
I mean a lot of people have clan channels with an egg in it, so this is very usefull
And I don't think a new way of fetching statics (bf2stats package?) is needed for getting these results,
since you can fetch it from this server too

Anyway output would be same as leaderboard.
Ex.   !personalleaderboard <name1> <name2> <name3>
would gave the same output

If you or someone else cant make it tcl, but is capable of making personalleaderbord output like this:

when u go to:   www.someserver.com/my-leaderboard.php?pids=<name1>%2C<name2>%2C<name3>

it will show just plain txt when u will be looking in the php file:

Statics generated by bf2s.com   (<-- not allowed to remove this, for the hard work of the guys here)
user3   Score: 7,408  Spm: 1.52  K 0.89  Playtime: 80:59:04   
user1   Score: 1,603  Spm: 1.34  K 0.83  Playtime: 19:56:02   
user2   Score: 1,394  Spm: 0.66  K 0.28  Playtime: 35:05:45 

For most phpcoders this would be easy.. but I can't code php
If you or someone can make that, then i will start working on a tcl, it's no big prob

Let me know.. because it would be awesome if you can help..

Hansje.NL
[email protected]
BoDGie
+0|6816|Australia
Interesting idea.. haven't touched eggdrops for a long time.. Mainly because I don't have anywhere to run one anymore, and i'm not too fond of windrop.
Stryker412
+1|6817
I want do to something similar to one of the BF42 servers I played on does. Here's a link: http://www.tweedle.com/

Is that even possible for BF2? If this is too hard for a ranked server, is it easy for an unranked server to setup stat recording for 1 server?
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6817|"Frisco"

Hansje.NL I won't make that for the same reasons I won't make other data interfaces to my site. See a few posts up.
Gryphon
+0|6817|Everett, WA, USA
For unranked server stats tracking, check out http://www.bighamster.de/ example http://www.bighamster.de/bf2stats/

Last edited by Gryphon (2005-08-04 11:28:38)

Stryker412
+1|6817
Thanks Gryphon. That'll work great when we start hosting the EoD mod.
opello
+1|6811
chuyskywalker:  Are you against others scraping your site?  I'd make the script for him, unless you don't want it to use your site like that (it sounds like a fun project).  Even more fun would be querying the official stats

Also, are you still using the asp.net interface, and they are just allowing your server's ip through the block?  I think they could more gracefully error if that's the case... rather than time out the connection.

Last edited by opello (2005-08-04 23:22:42)

Whistler
+0|6810
I have checked out the stats they use at bighamsters and im using them right now as there's no real alternative. It's possible to edit the html files from that package to suit your need for design but some stats dont seem to be retrieved by this package and it's hard to make it more dynamicly like the bf2s stats package.

I would surely be verry happy if there would be a way for the bf2s stats package to process the data from a specific server.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6817|"Frisco"

Whistler: They are very different aspects of stat querying. Per server you get more: details, stats, everything because log files are very detailed. Global stats, like I do, let me track you across a multitude of servers, not just one.

opello: I am very much against scraping my data. Besides, EA's going to have public servers out in the next two weeks, they tell me.
HammerFall_DK
+0|6810

chuyskywalker wrote:

SodaBob wrote:

My answer on this is still no. If no other reason, I simply couldn't afford the bandwidth. Right now the ads pay for this site (and the cost is mostly bandwidth) and if I started shoving tons of data off site, then suddenly my ads are no longer seen, and thus I get no revenues. No money == dead site.

The *only* way I would do this is if I had some guaranteed way to continue making enough money off the site to support it. However, there are only a few viable methods I can think of that might still bring in money. A JavaScript news feed could work, but it's really easy to hack those. A compiled PHP script could be done, but then circumventing it's output could be done with HTML and CSS. Finally, some kind of supscription service could be possible, but then I have to deal with a the big hassle of user registration, login system, useage tracking, login/pass sharing, violations of useage, and billing -- none of which I care to take on. I'm far more interested in making this site better than tracking down and dealing with a few bad apples.

Besides which, even if I did do something like this, as soon as ea releases the new system, it suddenly becomes pointless. No one will pay or put up with ads to get what they can have for free.

SodaBob wrote:

Even when the package was completely free, I still had people breaking the license and removing my copyright notice. I don't want to involve money into such an equation.
We at www.BF-Overview.com would definitely like to chip in whereever we could :-)
Just say the word.

HammerFall_DK
BF-Overview.com
AA-Overview.com
BF-Overview.com
Lars
+0|6813
I'd like to have this package too as soon as its available ,  to put on my server. I want to make I big norwegian Stats site.

Jeff - Keep up the good work!

- [email protected]
Andy
any news on gamespy/ea sorting this, been trying to get some info from ea but its like getting blood from a stone
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6817|"Frisco"

Nah, I don't expect any new info till monday/tuesday.
BAD~KicksomeMass
+0|6817|Lahaina, Hawai'i
Any news on when this stats pack will be up? I have my site rawring and ready to go i just need this to finish it!
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6817|"Frisco"

No. The public stat system is still not available, so there is no news at all on this front.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard