RafaDel
+0|6663
Hey Zen

I'm practicing your great lessons from some days and have a noob question for you pilots

How do you keep tracking where the floor is after many loops and other faster manuvers? I'm struggling to get my head on the up right position after that...
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6772

RafaDel wrote:

Hey Zen

I'm practicing your great lessons from some days and have a noob question for you pilots

How do you keep tracking where the floor is after many loops and other faster manuvers? I'm struggling to get my head on the up right position after that...
What graphic settings do you have? You should be able to see ground, or see the flag markers from quite high up, usually if you loose sight of ground because of the fog clipping your sight off, then you are almost so high that you will loose control, so it really shouldn't be that hard to keep track of where the ground is unless you have really poor graphics.

Also, I am sure there is a way to tell using the horizon indicator on the HUD, as in when you aren't flying horizontal the indicator will tilt appropriately, and by moving your plane you ought to be able to figure out which way is down, but really the easiest way is to keep the flag markers on and you can just fly towards them when you want to head back down.

After flying for many hours, you will just know which way is down, honestly it isn't very hard to keep track of lol, I don't even remember how I use the HUD or flag markers because it is just second nature - I'd have to go in game and think about it to give you a better answer, but I don't have my joystick with me right now.
RafaDel
+0|6663
Zen

I have every thing on high + AAx4...

After some time practicing things get easier. The only problem I face now is some times I flight too high or out of limits and stall. Is there any thing I can do to recover a plane from falling?

(got a like new MS/FF2 and eager to become a good pilot)

Thanks

Last edited by RafaDel (2006-11-08 07:44:35)

[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6772

RafaDel wrote:

Zen

I have every thing on high + AAx4...

After some time practicing things get easier. The only problem I face now is some times I flight too high or out of limits and stall. Is there any thing I can do to recover a plane from falling?

(got a like new MS/FF2 and eager to become a good pilot)

Thanks
Cut your throttle and aim down and then hope you didn't fly too high to start with or you will die when you go out of bounds.
PvtStPoK
paintball > bf2
+48|6541|montreal, quebec

i have a question for zenmaster

how did you changed fonts in-game?

yours look pretty nice
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6772

PvtStPoK
paintball > bf2
+48|6541|montreal, quebec

thank you fellow canadian
turkeybacon
+50|6472|Dragon Valley
Awesome thread

I bought a joystick (logitech extreme 3d pro). Its ok, got throttle and a twist axis but it still kinda sucks. My only problem with it, is the damn f'ing thing wont calibrate right (in windows). I've run the thing like 15 times, I just have a slight left tilt on the twist axis so I'm constantly having to adjust that mid-flight. I like the button layout though, I uploaded this pic of my controls in case anyones interested (it seems to be a popular mass produced joystick these days, I bet alot of people have it)

Heres an original picture of the joystick
https://img474.imageshack.us/img474/4880/logextreme3dproorigob9.jpg

Heres my butchered version, showing key layout for what I use. Note I forgot to add the part about the twist axis, thats straight forward enough, if you have problems just refer to Zenmasters wiki thread about joystick setup. I'm just showing how I programmed this one for anyone who might have bought one of these. I think in the future I'll look on ebay for a decent joystick. I tried the cyborgs in the shop and I wasnt too impressed. Honestly the microsoft joystick Zenmaster and a few others use -- I'm going to hunt for one in the future. The logitech is decent, but you get what you pay for. I think I dropped 50 bucks canadian on it, and its not too impressive.

https://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2532/logextreme3dpronf0.jpg
turkeybacon
+50|6472|Dragon Valley
One last thing, I dont like the base of support too much on this joystick. Sometimes I hit the wrong button aiming for the map view, and the base isnt very wide for my liking. 2 hands on the joystick is basically required, your left has to hold the thing in place. Like I said, mine doesnt calibrate correctly but its still useable. But I noticed in some of Zenmasters videos, he'll switch to rear view on the first climb of a split S and the plane stays nice and level. I cant get this luxury which is frustrating.

I'm just learning to fly now. I literally had like a 5:180 k/d ratio before reading everything in this thread, watching videos, etc...

I'm like 1200 points short of first sergeant atm, and I think for my next ~100 hours of playing I'll spend 90% of it flying jets. So I should improve alot as time goes on and hopefully we can get a nice aviator discussion going on here.

For the moment, what are your favorite "good matchup" maps? I only know of the J-10/F35 maps, which maps have the J-10/F-18 matchup? I believe Fusche has a pair of F-18's but I'm not sure...and maybe Zatar has F-18's vs. Migs? I cant really remember. Anyways my BF2 is fucked right now, I cant use my mouse when I enter a server which just happened today. Kinda frustrating when your only 1000 points shy of next rank so hopefully I can get that sorted in the next few hours and get some flytime in over the next few days/weeks.

edited:

Sorry one FINAL last thing, Zenmaster I tried to download Joy2Key and your original link is dead. Maybe the site is down, maybe the developer stopped support and dropped their website, but I cant find the program anymore. It would be kickass if someone still had the installer kicking around and could upload it somewhere for us new aviators to use. I spot shit all the time on the ground and use it as a huge advantage to myself and my teammates. I have watched you spot air threats and chase them via minimap and I would really like this option for myself, in fact I'm thinking of switching my air controls up a bit if I can find this program.

One disadvantage to my control scheme I noticed is that my thumb is either on afterburners, or its on the POV button swapping views, OR its on flare drop etc.. So I cant drop flares while burning, and likewise I cant swap to rear view and back while burning. Probably not a huge deal because it only takes a split second to swap, but it still seems like a mild disadvantage. I also utilize the chase cam alot while hard turning + burning, you know the cinematic type view, I forget the name.

Last edited by turkeybacon (2006-11-09 14:52:01)

R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6513|Melbourne

I love Wake, Simply because of the feeling you get when you take out a j10 in an F35B its a good feeling.  A tip with missiles: Lead the target with your missile lock cross hairs and when you get a clear tone, fire all 6 two should hit at least.

Last edited by R3v4n (2006-11-09 14:51:07)

~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6772

Ask and ye shall recieve:

http://files.filefront.com/jtk379enrar/ … einfo.html

Mouse1 is already bound to trigger in the config file.
turkeybacon
+50|6472|Dragon Valley
Thanks alot dude

+1

I think I'm gonna remap my controls a bit, like putting the radio and afterburners where you have them and moving the camera buttons off to the side.
pyscofrawg
AKA Selkies ftw
+55|6431|Earth
So I just got a joystick to help out with some flying and its working great. But in Battlefield 2, my X axis and twist are inverted. I changed the settings and tested it outside of BF2 and it works fine, but no matter what I do it stays inverted in BF2. Any help would be amazing.

Last edited by pyscofrawg (2006-11-10 10:09:51)

Signature
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6772

pyscofrawg wrote:

So I just got a joystick to help out with some flying and its working great. But in Battlefield 2, my X axis and twist are inverted. I changed the settings and tested it outside of BF2 and it works fine, but no matter what I do it stays inverted in BF2. Any help would be amazing.
In bf2, redo the controls panel for your two axis' -eg just invert them from what they are set right now and it will work.

This is a common problem for lots of people - you just gotta keep your joystick awfully still, and then push it in the right direction until you map the right axis in bf2. It takes a few tries so do it while in single player until it twists right etc. It took me two tries as it did the same inversion thing for me my first time.
pyscofrawg
AKA Selkies ftw
+55|6431|Earth
Awesome. It works great now. Thanks.
Signature
SlightlySto0pid
+7|6476|New York
Dear Zenmaster,

Is the joystick actually better than the M&K in BF2? I can understand it being 100x superior in flight sims and (dont know how you could compare, but irl) but I simply cannot adjust to the joystick ... flying around I do fine with the joystick, but when it comes time to aim or bomb I just can't do it. I'm a terrible pilot still, but I've downloaded the SP 64 player maps and am practicing a lot on bots...Anywho, I searched around my attic for an hour to find my joystick (same one you pictured in your guide, MS Sidewinder 2) so I'd like to put it to use. Is it just practice or is it a preference thing?

Last edited by SlightlySto0pid (2006-11-12 21:31:50)

[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6772

SlightlySto0pid wrote:

Dear Zenmaster,

Is the joystick actually better than the M&K in BF2? I can understand it being 100x superior in flight sims and (dont know how you could compare, but irl) but I simply cannot adjust to the joystick ... flying around I do fine with the joystick, but when it comes time to aim or bomb I just can't do it. I'm a terrible pilot still, but I've downloaded the SP 64 player maps and am practicing a lot on bots...Anywho, I searched around my attic for an hour to find my joystick (same one you pictured in your guide, MS Sidewinder 2) so I'd like to put it to use. Is it just practice or is it a preference thing?
It is unquestionably better - it just takes practice. You should get the hang of it after about 1-2 weeks of a few hours a day. You should be able to master it for BF2 for both planes and choppers after a few weeks. Choppers will take longer to learn, but you will have a lot of fun with both planes and choppers in any game once you learn how to use your joystick - it is exactly like riding a bicycle.

Good luck,
Zen.
Phantom2828
+51|6554|Land of the free
WOW great guide man +1
One question, whenever I try to bomb tanks even if my bombs seem to hit right on it doesnt die and I usually have to come back for another run at him.
Does this happen to you and do you have any tips about it?
desperado1523
+0|6409
There is a good video on bombing bu it takes practice. What you want to do is this:

Get at a nice high altitude. Never fly with your missiles out, always keep your bombs out. Fly at about 200 ft. When you see a tank or apc or w/e go at a downward angle of 45 degrees or steeper flying straight at it. Turn on the thrusters so you are going very fast at a 45 degree angle. At about 40-60 ft release the bombs and puul up as to not kill yourself. It should hit most of the time after some practice.
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6772

Phantom2828 wrote:

WOW great guide man +1
One question, whenever I try to bomb tanks even if my bombs seem to hit right on it doesnt die and I usually have to come back for another run at him.
Does this happen to you and do you have any tips about it?
1 bomb with a direct hit wont kill a tank unless its already been injured. 2 bombs will kill the tank if you drop them from a high angle of approach so that they fal closely together. Otherwise 1 bomb will hit and the other will over shoot and you won't get a kill. This is why you should bomb in single bomb mode, so you can get 2 direct hits with both bombs. Just practice like everyone says.
Phantom2828
To get single bomb mode you have to resupply and pick up only ONE bomb right?
Or can I pick up one them circle around and pick up another?
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6772

Phantom2828 wrote:

To get single bomb mode you have to resupply and pick up only ONE bomb right?
Or can I pick up one them circle around and pick up another?
You can circle and pick up two once you are already in single bomb mode. Then just press once to release one, and circle your target and press again to release the 2nd and you will get a sure kill.
Phantom2828
O wow I really need some help with the shitty F35b
Zenmaster do you have any tips or do you just stay with the J10
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6772

Phantom2828 wrote:

O wow I really need some help with the shitty F35b
Zenmaster do you have any tips or do you just stay with the J10
I talk a bit about it in the guide - basically the F35 is only good for bombing, and trying to use it as a fighter will get your ass killed more often then not. It's not your fault though its the planes fault. So pretty much fly high dive down to bomb, then go back up to 600ft or so in the f35 and just bomb the crap out of the enemy. It's really all you can do. It can take out enemy choppers if the J10 pilots sux though. Bad plane all in all, and most people stay away from it for good reason.
desperado1523
+0|6409
I like to F35 a lot. Yes I know it sucks, but it is a great bomber. But I shall advise this, never fly with your missiles out because once you are caught in an F35, your dead. Your best chance is to slow down to a complete stop until your enemy passes, or get to a high altitude and stall. The F35 is also very accurate with it's guns. If you are a good shot it is very easy to take out a heli while in bomb mode.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard