Jinto-sk
Laid Back Yorkshireman
+183|6561|Scarborough Yorkshire England
Holland has passed a law banning Burqa's and veils

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6160620.stm

Last edited by Jinto-sk (2006-11-18 05:54:34)

Mongoose
That 70's guy
+156|6501|Sydney, in 1978
good on them
JahManRed
wank
+646|6598|IRELAND

"The proposed ban would apply to wearing the burqa in the street, and in trains, schools, buses and law courts in the Netherlands."

I agree that it shouldn't be allowed in court, but ffs what harm is it doing to anyone if they wear it on the bus??
I'm an atheist, but free religious expression when hurting no one should be allowed. Should Christan's be bared from wearing a cross around their necks? Should Jew be banned from wearing a Kippah in public?
If they are going to ban this then it is only right they should ban all religious expression. Churches are usually on Public vistas, should the front of them be remodeled to look more like an office block so as not to offend anyone?????
Just ridiculous.
|DL|Krokkieboy
+16|6646

JahManRed wrote:

"The proposed ban would apply to wearing the burqa in the street, and in trains, schools, buses and law courts in the Netherlands."

I agree that it shouldn't be allowed in court, but ffs what harm is it doing to anyone if they wear it on the bus??
I'm an atheist, but free religious expression when hurting no one should be allowed. Should Christan's be bared from wearing a cross around their necks? Should Jew be banned from wearing a Kippah in public?
If they are going to ban this then it is only right they should ban all religious expression. Churches are usually on Public vistas, should the front of them be remodeled to look more like an office block so as not to offend anyone?????
Just ridiculous.
+1
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6623
Banning all forms of full face coverage in public seems a bit... well... stupid... since people on motorbikes depend on them for their lives...

article wrote:

Other forms of face coverings, such as veils, and crash helmets with visors that obscure the face, would also be covered by a ban.
And not only that, it seems like a waste of time and money, given the number of women wearing the burqa:

article wrote:

But there are thought to be fewer than 100 women who choose to wear the burqa, a traditional Islamic form of dress.
The only reason I can think of that they might be doing it is to discourage further immigration to the Netherlands (through creating an impression of intolerance by government), something that they aren't particularly keen on, from my understanding.

Last edited by UnOriginalNuttah (2006-11-18 06:53:34)

..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6619
Integration, well done Holland
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6708|The Hague, Netherlands

+1 to us
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
Janja
Jiggaboo Jones
+11|6352|FLOOR E DUH
amen to u
jonsimon
+224|6465
Islamic women can just wear scarves instead.
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6713|Reality
Or be forced to stay at home, a prisoner in her own home just for believing in her religion. Good job.

Last edited by Stubbee (2006-11-18 08:01:22)

The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
TheMajorBummer
Have a nice day!
+-4|6795|Netherlands
+1.....

Last edited by TheMajorBummer (2006-11-18 08:49:58)

kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6519|Southeastern USA
how about dressing up as a muslim woman, and walking into a bank to rob it, granted you could just put on a mask once you're in the bank, but wearing the burqa beforehand ensures that no vid cameras catch you on your way in. what's the point in posting wanted posters? try walking around with a ski mask all day, see how much fun that is, in fact most towns here have laws against it. helmets save lives, burqas only serve to hide your identity. odd how people that jump all over how wrong and stupid religion is keep running to the defense of islam especially with it serving only to subjugate and denigrate people based on race, creed and sex.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6438

JahManRed wrote:

Just ridiculous.
I agree.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

kr@cker wrote:

how about dressing up as a muslim woman, and walking into a bank to rob it, granted you could just put on a mask once you're in the bank, but wearing the burqa beforehand ensures that no vid cameras catch you on your way in. what's the point in posting wanted posters? try walking around with a ski mask all day, see how much fun that is, in fact most towns here have laws against it. helmets save lives, burqas only serve to hide your identity. odd how people that jump all over how wrong and stupid religion is keep running to the defense of islam especially with it serving only to subjugate and denigrate people based on race, creed and sex.
There's a first time for everything, I agree with Mr. Kr@cker! +1
jonsimon
+224|6465

Stubbee wrote:

Or be forced to stay at home, a prisoner in her own home just for believing in her religion. Good job.
Orrrrr they can wear scarves. I somehow doubt they're super diehard islamic enough to imprison their women because they cannot wear face coverings, considering they're in a western primarily christian country. I haven't seen a single burka in Dearborn, only scarves.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6531

kr@cker wrote:

When the Chinese went into Tibet they humiliated the monks because they saw them as landlords.  Good idea, right?  I mean, buddhism served to make the monks somehow more important whilst everyone else worked.  Wrong.  Just because the religion created an upper and under class didn't mean the people didn't support it.  And if they choose to, why not?  Same goes for Islam.  You may view it as a religion about sexism and intolerance.  That's fine.  I view Christianity as much the same.  But I don't tell you what to worship.  As for your ridiculous claim that they could use it to rob banks, there are a million other ways they could hide their faces.  In the end all this will do is "prove" to people in the Middle East that the West talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk when it comes to tolerance, and why should they bother talking to you when all you do is opress them.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6489|Πάϊ
Ban crosses as well. Then it will be ok.
ƒ³
TuataraDude
+115|6492|Aotearoa
The government came out with this just a few days before the election. It is a big vote grabbing ploy by catering to the lowest common denominator. From what I understand, there have been quite a few serious incidents in Holland that involved immigrants. I'm sorry, telling 100 people in a land of 16 million that they cannot wear an item of clothing that is a cultural aspect of their lives (and it is not a part of Islamic doctrine) is not the answer.
TeamZephyr
Maintaining My Rage Since 1975
+124|6499|Hillside, Melbourne, Australia
I thought everyone here supported freedom of religion and expression?

This is simply religious discrimination, saying that Islamic women can't wear head dresses is an insult to their religion, it's not like they've banned christians from wearing crosses, sikhs from wearing turbans and jews from wearing those funny little caps......
Rosse_modest
+76|6746|Antwerp, Flanders

jonsimon wrote:

Stubbee wrote:

Orrrrr they can wear scarves. I somehow doubt they're super diehard islamic enough to imprison their women because they cannot wear face coverings, considering they're in a western primarily christian country. I haven't seen a single burka in Dearborn, only scarves.
Think again.

The point of the Burka is to prevent anyone but the husband from seeing even the slightest part of a woman's body. Any muslim who forces/allows his woman to wear a burka is guaranteed to imprison her to the confines of his home should the government they reside under suddenly brand burkas as illegal. If they would be prepared to just let their women wear scarves, then they wouldn't be wearing burkas in the first place.

Last edited by Rosse_modest (2006-11-18 17:51:52)

RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6376|NSW, Australia

i am so moving to holland
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6508|Long Island, New York

JahManRed wrote:

Just ridiculous.
I'm atheist too and I completely agree. +1 to you sir.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6736|UK

TuataraDude wrote:

The government came out with this just a few days before the election. It is a big vote grabbing ploy by catering to the lowest common denominator. From what I understand, there have been quite a few serious incidents in Holland that involved immigrants. I'm sorry, telling 100 people in a land of 16 million that they cannot wear an item of clothing that is a cultural aspect of their lives (and it is not a part of Islamic doctrine) is not the answer.
Sorry to ask, but is there any reason behind that sig, its just i find it quite disturbing
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6531

Rosse_modest wrote:

jonsimon wrote:

Stubbee wrote:

Think again.

The point of the Burka is to prevent anyone but the husband from seeing even the slightest part of a woman's body. Any muslim who forces/allows his woman to wear a burka is guaranteed to imprison her to the confines of his home should the government they reside under suddenly brand burkas as illegal. If they would be prepared to just let their women wear scarves, then they wouldn't be wearing burkas in the first place.
You know, many of them do it by choice.  But yes, you are right, most will stay inside under new laws.
herrr_smity
+156|6598|space command ur anus
good for Holland, apparently they have some balls unlike the rest of the non muslim countries

+1 holland

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard