Poll

Is making fun of the recently-deceased acceptable?

Sure! They don't feel it; who cares about their family?22%22% - 14
Fine, but only if their estate gives the go-ahead.8%8% - 5
Yeah, TV's exempt from common decency.14%14% - 9
I don't know.18%18% - 11
No. Even if they don't feel it, family does.19%19% - 12
No. Especially without permission from the estate.6%6% - 4
No! That's just sick.9%9% - 6
Total: 61
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

SP E1014 - Stanley's Cup, short and sour. Dry, with no substance. A pretty dumb piece of work. As dead as (as put in the episode) Steve Irwin in a tank full of stingrays.

First off, I'd like to say that I've seen every episode of SP and have enjoyed most of them, even the ones that make fun of things I side with...but this episode was the worst display of South Park that I've ever seen. I can appreciate the poke at cheesy, cookie-cutter sports flicks (especially having some of the incessant male-hugging scenes evolve into Brokeback Smooching) and their trailers, but it left me feeling like I'd pretty much wasted my time. I understand that it wasn't making fun of cancer kids, but the death in the end was put there for a laugh (Kenny doesn't count for comparison, given his immortality). Additionally, after the backlash from the Irwin joke in Hell on Earth 2006, you'd have thought they'd at least wait awhile before poking fun at a dead man again. Irwin did stupid things, and he would've probably laughed at the Irwin jokes, but he did leave a family behind. How tasteless can you get, rubbing it in? Yeah, yeah, free speech and all that, but I honestly think that crap like this is an abuse of rights.

Of course, the more people talk about it, the more people will see it...but I don't see how it's truly worth it. I was thinking of picking up the first few seasons on DVD, but now I'm having second thoughts.

(edit: thinking back, the annoying narrator was the episode's only redeeming aspect; Ike got too little attention to be much of a factor)

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-11-17 15:50:35)

Big McLargehuge
Another Saturday night and I ain't got nobody
+259|6603|Philadelphia, PA
I voted no. The only reason I think the South Park creators are making fun of the death of Steve Irwin is they are trying to be edgy. Their show isn't as controversial as it was a couple of years ago. They are just trying to get peoples attention.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge (2006-11-17 15:14:38)

Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6644|Ohio
why would you buy them when you can watch them on the internet for free? (www.allsp.com)

edit: and ya, that episode was kind of lame. the only good part was where the mayor says "stan's bumming on cancer"

Last edited by Paco_the_Insane (2006-11-17 15:13:48)

DeepSkysUrGe
+28|6435|Jax, Fl
I dunno, i thought the new Irwin reference was pretty funny.  Although from the Irwin family perspective it was a bit below the belt.

Having said that I think they were only revisiting it to mock the fact that thanks to the populous, in death, Irwin got the most attention hes had since the begining of his career.

Last edited by DeepSkysUrGe (2006-11-17 15:12:01)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Paco_the_Insane wrote:

why would you buy them when you can watch them on the internet for free? (www.allsp.com)

edit: and ya, that episode was kind of lame. the only good part was where the mayor says "stan's bumming on cancer"
I watch them all for free on the link I provided on the original post. I just don't mind having DVD quality, and I do have the cash to spend.
Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6644|Ohio

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Paco_the_Insane wrote:

I watch them all for free on the link I provided on the original post. I just don't mind having DVD quality, and I do have the cash to spend.
ya, but allsp is shorter to type out.
Executiator
+69|6421
This recent episode of SP was pretty shabby, it wasn't funny at all and the kid with leukemia made me want to cry :-\.

THey're either trying to get cancelled or get more attention
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Paco_the_Insane wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Paco_the_Insane wrote:

ya, but allsp is shorter to type out.
Yeah, but I got mine quicktabbed on Firefox.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6689|Tampa Bay Florida
No........ I really don't see the difference in making fun of Steve Irwin, and, let's say, the people jumping from the towers on 9/11.  The writers of South Park know not to do that, yet, the 2 events are still very tragic, moreso to the people connected to the deceased.  IMO it's sick, and it's profitting off the deaths of others because they can't think of anything else.

I usually don't care what South Park does, but making fun of the dead just sinks it to a new low.....
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina
*shrugs*  After a certain point, all TV shows go downhill.  I think most of Season 9 was pretty weak, and Season 10 doesn't seem to be getting much better.

As for the Steve Irwin thing, yeah, it's tasteless, but I doubt the Irwin family even watches South Park.

And yeah, I didn't freak out over Bill Maher's costume choice either.

As someone else mentioned, the South Park creators just do whatever they can to get people's attention.  If they see that a parody of Steve Irwin makes people angry, they're likely to use it as fodder until people ignore it.  It's kind of a psychological experiment, if you think about it....

As for whether or not it's acceptable....  Well, that's completely subjective.  I think it's tasteless in most cases, but I'm not going to be upset by it....

I'm more annoyed by those Westboro Baptist Church assholes.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6561
Wow, those poll options certainly aren't skewed.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6468
Why are they allowed to make jokes about somethings but not others? Why can't they parody everything the way they want to? Why are you guys still not over Steve Irwin's death?
I.M.I Militant
We Are Not Alone In Here
+297|6719|Melbourne, Australia
as an aussie i think everyone wouldent of cared that much if it was a year or so down the track but it was jsut to soon to be mocking something like that
[RDH]Warlord
Quakecon Attendee
+17|6658|SLC, Utah, USA
I think it's better than if you just shut up and pretend it never happened.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

doctastrangelove1964 wrote:

Why are they allowed to make jokes about somethings but not others? Why can't they parody everything the way they want to? Why are you guys still not over Steve Irwin's death?
Steve Irwin's death didn't really affect me. That doesn't mean I can't call people out for being dicks about it.

[RDH]Warlord wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Of course, the more people talk about it, the more people will see it...

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-11-18 04:29:48)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

The whole point of Southpark is they take the piss out of everything, 'either everythings ok to make fun of or nothing is', Matt and Trey are very ethical writers.

I quite liked the last episode. I like it when they do parodies of movie genres, like they did with Asspen.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2006-11-18 07:15:33)

Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6468

Bertster7 wrote:

The whole point of Southpark is they take the piss out of everything, 'either everythings ok to make fun of or nothing is', Matt and Trey are very ethical writers.

I quite liked the last episode. I like it when they do parodies of movie genres, like they did with Asspen.
True. The Irwin joke weren't as funny as in HoE2006 but the sports movie ones where. And plus he died months ago.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6577|Florida
Its South Park.  One of the reasons I love South Park is because they are so indecent sometimes its hilarious.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6537|Long Island, New York
Yeah, Stanley's Cup SUCKED. The only good parts were when you see the Avs-Red Wings playing (I'm a huge hockey fan) and when the guy does the Trailer voices. "Stan marsh is...going professional."

The rest of the episode was just either not funny, too serious, or cruel.
Dec45
+12|6640

Big McLargehuge wrote:

I voted no. The only reason I think the South Park creators are making fun of the death of Steve Irwin is they are trying to be edgy. Their show isn't as controversial as it was a couple of years ago. They are just trying to get peoples attention.
They're not trying to get attention, they ARE getting attention. Notice there's a thread about it, and you just posted in it.

I really don't care if South Park makes fun of recently deceased people. I also wouldn't care if the families of those recently deceased people, laid some fists into Matt and Trey's faces.
(HUN)Rudebwoy
+45|6755
"Stan! Youre mother's been worried sick, and I've been watching tv!"

That one made me laugh, but it was a weak episode, just like the whole 10th season...
They did not even start it good, with the "retirement" of Isaac Hayes.

Oh, and to the topic:
I think most of the people dont care unless its their relatives shown on tv and being ripped on.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6561

I.M.I Militant wrote:

as an aussie i think everyone wouldent of cared that much if it was a year or so down the track but it was jsut to soon to be mocking something like that
As an Aussie I think you're a retard who lacks an Aussie sense of humour.  Aussie.  Aussie Aussie.

Aussie.

Do I get a prize?
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6623|Camp XRay

i hated the last episode, not because of the comment, but because it was the season ending episode and it was so dissapointing.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6519|Πάϊ

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

SP E1014 - Stanley's Cup, short and sour. Dry, with no substance. A pretty dumb piece of work. As dead as (as put in the episode) Steve Irwin in a tank full of stingrays.

First off, I'd like to say that I've seen every episode of SP and have enjoyed most of them, even the ones that make fun of things I side with...but this episode was the worst display of South Park that I've ever seen.
Right on. Stupid episode, this. Sometimes it makes me wonder wtf kinda drugs these guys are on... I mean, one day they make the wow episode and the next this piece of crap...
ƒ³
RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6405|NSW, Australia

[RDH]Warlord wrote:

its good to let you emotions out

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard