GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6733

I posted a while back in 2142 forums that I was getting some crappy FPS in-game. I was playing at 1200x960 or some res like that, with 2x AA. Average was about 30, lowest 15 (on titan), highest maybe 45. I have an x1900xt and was very disappointed by this performance. Today while playing, I found that there was a new resolution available after installing the newest ATI drivers. 1440x1050 I believe, which is close to my native res (1680x1050).

Somehow, I am now magically getting average 60fps, with decent highs and lows. I might even push it to 4x AA if the performance remains OK. Do drivers really make that much of a difference when it comes to games? Or is there some performance drop using non-native resolutions while playing.

Also, I don't really understand the settings in the ATI Catalyst Control Center thing. It lets you select 6x AA and 16x AF in there, but when I do that, sometimes the game will load without any of these features on. How do I get those settings to work in game?
Jbrar
rawr
+86|6512|Winterpeg, Canada
K,

First off, Drivers can make a HUGE difference. I had a problem like urs, cept my arrow flashed aswell (the 2 in Menu, and the arrow ingame). My friend also had fucked up shadows till he updated his driver, now it runs like a dream on all high full AA.

As for the ATI catalyst control centre, you can set it so that all games will run at a 1 AA and AF level, just a single checkbox. This means that ingame AA settings won't make a diff (as far as I have experienced anyways).
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6693|Oregon
i actually think that it is an issue with native resolution. the closer to the native resolution, the less the card has to think about what pixels to double-fill, and make everything peachy. when running at the native resolution, i bet you will get similar fps to what you are getting now.

i had exactly the same issue with my x1900xt, except i was using it at 1024x768, and getting 40fps average, 15-25 on titian, with some things turned down and 4xaa (not my normal 6x). when cranked up to 1280x1024 (native res) and EVERYTHING on high (incl 6xAA), i now get 60-100 fps average, and a constant 30 on the titan.
[n00b]Tyler
Banned
+505|6565|Iceland
lol thats what i get with my Gefroce 6600, dam it sucks to be u
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
Don't enable AA or AF from the CCC, it makes the game crash.  Most games have their own AA settings anyway.
xombine
+5|6521
For such a high card as the X1900XT, yes you can see huge improvements with new drivers. Catalyst or ForceWare driver updates are directed and changes and tweaks for high ends cards anyway.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard