S4INT05
+1|6721|79605, TX
i just got me another gig of ram, which makes 2gigs of PC3200 400mhz.. but anyway, also put in my new processor, a 3.4ghz prescott pent. 4 w/ HT, and i still get bad frame rates on BF2 when running medium settings?! hell, i've got a shitload of free space on my HDs, and i'm on an nVidia BFG Tech GeForce 6800 GT OC. what the hell? i just benchmarked and scored a 2870, and i'm wondering what the hell is wrong. why am i getting bad framrates and a low score when i just upgraded a shitload and formatted lastnight?!

3.4ghz prescott intel pentium 4 w/ HT
2 gigs PC3200
P4 Titan GA-8IPE 1000 mobo
160 GB total space, 10GB free

what could be done to improve the framerates at the best possible graphics? i was almost positive i could run at medium settings but when shit gets intense, it lags up and i get 4-5 frames/sec. what the hell?! also, any of you nVidia 6 series + users, what profile are you using when running BF2 and what are your settings on the profile?
psychotoxic187
+11|6701
You should be able to run on high with that card. Do you have anything running in the background, like anti-spyware? What is your connection speed?
Leatherface-TCM
The Saw is Family
+0|6812

S4INT05 wrote:

i just got me another gig of ram, which makes 2gigs of PC3200 400mhz.. but anyway, also put in my new processor, a 3.4ghz prescott pent. 4 w/ HT, and i still get bad frame rates on BF2 when running medium settings?! hell, i've got a shitload of free space on my HDs, and i'm on an nVidia BFG Tech GeForce 6800 GT OC. what the hell? i just benchmarked and scored a 2870, and i'm wondering what the hell is wrong. why am i getting bad framrates and a low score when i just upgraded a shitload and formatted lastnight?!

3.4ghz prescott intel pentium 4 w/ HT
2 gigs PC3200
P4 Titan GA-8IPE 1000 mobo
160 GB total space, 10GB free

what could be done to improve the framerates at the best possible graphics? i was almost positive i could run at medium settings but when shit gets intense, it lags up and i get 4-5 frames/sec. what the hell?! also, any of you nVidia 6 series + users, what profile are you using when running BF2 and what are your settings on the profile?
1. Hard to pin point without further info but I would free up some HD space and then do a defrag of your drive.
You state that you just did a reformat so I assume you reinstalled Windows? - Windows makes a mess of your drive and it will be heavily fragmented - Download a free trial of Diskeeper 10 if you don't own it - much faster than windows built-in defragger.

2. Check and increase your Virtual Memory Paging File size - people often forget to adjust this

3. Check background services/processes that are running and get rid of anything you don't need - always disable virus scanner when playing

4. I know you just reformatted and reinstalled but make sure you have not reinstalled some sort of Adware/spyware - SpyBot is good

5. Make sure Indexing is OFF in services as this will kill your machine no matter what hardware you have

6. If you made a full format and reinstall of soft and is still slow, then you MUST think it is a hardware problem.

Check all connections including electrical are ok. Check that you have a good neutral conn. Check power supply
Check if the new processor fan is functioning ok.  Is it a new fan or the one off your old processor?  Is it any good - heat kills!

If checks are ok and you do not find problems on HDD or fans, then try the RAM on other machine. If it's ok, then the problems are on motherboard.

Thats about all I got.

This all assumes that it is NOT your internet connection and that you are not trying to play with a dial up connection

Last edited by Leatherface-TCM (2005-12-19 07:07:03)

Nehil
+3|6723|South Sweden (NOT SWITZERLAND)
If you have a 6800 card and score under 3000 3dmarks I'm pretty sure you don't have a problem with your processor but more likely you didn't install the drivers for your mobo or G card properly. If you still score shitty try your G card in a friends computer. If that doesn't fix it I don't know what's wrong with it. Your processor has a small chance to having anything to do with this, BF2 enough is enough grapically advanced to bring all G cards to their knees at high res and AA, only at medium settings you'd see a real difference on diffrent processors.
S4INT05
+1|6721|79605, TX
nah, i installed all drivers early yesterday morning. i didn't sleep until everything was up and running. my connection is DSL, 256k+ i believe.

my fan is the stock intel fan that came with the processor. i used arctic silver 5, and the damn thing still runs hot. i checked in bios the other day and it was at 90C. i know i need a new fan, i did buy an arctic cooler fan, but it didn't fit the brackets.

but, i'll try these out. hopefully i'll get full performance after this, if not - i'ma be real pissed.
S4INT05
+1|6721|79605, TX
a friend reccomended that i install the second-to-latest driver from omegadrivers and stuff. so we'll see how that goes. also overclocked the GPU a little, and uninstalled the indexing service. after i uninstalled indexing and increased the page file size, i still got a 2870. we'll see how it goes after the drivers and overclocking.

BTW - nVidia users: what are your cards set at (profile, clock, AA, ANS filtering...blah blah..)
psychotoxic187
+11|6701
Do you have case fans? 90c is dangerously high, I'm surprised your not blue screening. Do control alt delete, and see what if anything is using your cpu resources.
S4INT05
+1|6721|79605, TX
yea i've got CPU fans, infact i've got one side of the case off with a regular fan blowing in the case right now ^_^ ghetto.

i'm gonna go look around for various cooling units, i'm even considering watercooling to keep the GPU and CPU down to 40 something.
S4INT05
+1|6721|79605, TX
i am still getting low scores. i do not understand what the hell is wrong here. my friend has a similar setup and he scored a 5000, which means i should atleast get a 4500, and after a full format and OC the video card, i still cannot get above 3,000. shitty! what the hell?!
S4INT05
+1|6721|79605, TX
alright. fixed it. CPU runs at 64*C now, and i scored a 5100.
psychotoxic187
+11|6701
Even that is very hot for a CPU. My AMD runs at 28c idle on air cooling. I use a thermaltake CPU fan, I also have 5 case fans, they help alot. As for water cooling, there are some good all in one packages that are fairly cheap, but have gotten good reviews. As long as your not an avid overclocker it will suite you fine.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications … mp;CatId=0
Leatherface-TCM
The Saw is Family
+0|6812

S4INT05 wrote:

alright. fixed it. CPU runs at 64*C now, and i scored a 5100.
And the solution was??!!??
Nehil
+3|6723|South Sweden (NOT SWITZERLAND)
He probably mounted the cooler in some wierd way or something like that. But still running at 60+ is not good, even for a prescott as someone said. You should have really considerd a AMD, my runs at 19c idle on stock air cooling. Around 40c in load. Also look in your BIOS and check so that your processor dosen't throttle becuse of heat.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6839|"Frisco"

Hey guys, 60C is pretty normal for a P4 -- especially with stock coolers. I previously ran one and hit 50's - 60's all the time. Cook and egg on that shit.

I eventually purchased a MONSTER heatpipe/coppersink/fan cooler system but even then, the processor would only dip to 28C when idle -- 35c when loaded.
S4INT05
+1|6721|79605, TX
prescotts have the hottest cores around. i am for sure invest in some different heatsink/fan. maybe even that water cooling system you sent me.  i'll just have to wait until next paycheck or gather some christmas funds. surely it will come before my roommate and i pitch in for a server, check this deal out:

AMD 64bit 2.2Ghz
1GIG DDR2 or 3, don't remember.
forgot the video card, but it can run anything we throw at it,
200GB SATA

$350, we're going halves on the mofo. it's a steal.
Maj.Do
+85|6743|good old CA
i dont like external water cooling .   Just get a delta HSF or a XP-120
psychotoxic187
+11|6701
It's not external water cooling. It will fit in two 5.25 inch drive bays. I've read a lot of reviews on it, all were good. The only thing they mention is that it's not for avid overclockers, but for the money it's a very good all in one system.
S4INT05
+1|6721|79605, TX
what would be a good unit for overclocking? 3.6 dosen't sound too bad ^_^
psychotoxic187
+11|6701
http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-wat-20.html?id=uXnAxmiR

That would be a good setup for overclocking. It will also cool your video card and chipset at the same time.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard