Lawk
+2|6769
My machine is slow and uses outdated hardware.  It still runs BF2, obviously.  I do pretty well in-game, but I do struggle with small arms accuracy because I cant see shit and when I do see an enemy my bullets tend to fly in an enemy shaped outline just larger than said enemy.  Though I had a great round last night with G36E.  Anyway, I cant seem to hit shit at medium to long range with any assault rifle, carbine, or sub-machine gun.  I have attributed this to the fact that I suck, until yesterday when I played a few rounds of Karkand on my buddies $4000 Alienware system.  I was doing so well with the G36C that I actually went medic with an Ak-101 and I tore shit up with it too.  HFS, I actually killed guys with the AK!

Simply put, my slow machine effects my in-game performance substantially.  Cant wait till my new components get here.
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6766|AUS, Canberra
my mate has an outdated machine and his spm is up around 3, he has low setting and 1 gig ram but kicks arse as sniper.
Lawk
+2|6769
Well, I dont really have a problem while sniping, although I dont do it that much.
Lawk
+2|6769

<{SoE}>Agamemnar wrote:

Anyone who buys an Alienware computer is a fucking moron.
That is not true.  You speak of what you do not understand.
-MP-Nuke1266
+20|6711
err... no, agamemnar is right... alienware is WAY overpriced.....and they don't give you as much freedom as you would want part-selection-wise.......
Lawk
+2|6769

-MP-Nuke1266 wrote:

err... no, agamemnar is right... alienware is WAY overpriced.....and they don't give you as much freedom as you would want part-selection-wise.......
Well, I chose not to buy my stuff from Alienware because of cost issues, but my friend did and he's not a fucking moron.  He just has a little too much money laying around.  I must say it is a very nice machine.

Last edited by Lawk (2005-12-20 15:45:02)

Gilgalad
Renaissance Soldier
+2|6773|Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Sorry, but I'll have to agree about Alienware being outrageously priced. Without going to an Intel P4EE or an AMD Athlon FX for your processor, you can build a kickass system for ~$2000-2500 tops. I'm talking good processor, 2GB low latency RAM, good mobo, WD Raptor HD (maybe in RAID - it can sometimes run faster without RAID), new DVD-RW, GeForce 7800 line card, and a good case and monitor. If you scavenge any parts from your current setup (why waste $40 on a new DVD-RW when the one you have works fine? same goes for old hard drives) then you can lower this cost.

My current setup cost me ~$1500, and I put all settings except for lighting at 'High' and average 40-50 fps. The only thing holding me back is that I have a GeForce 6800 GT instead of the newer 7800 (which didn't exist when I bought my current card).
Maj.Do
+85|6747|good old CA
hey i have a alienware laptop.  got it for free.  : )
Icleos
+101|6738
I run on 512mb of Ram on the shittiest settings.  And fly everything with a ball mouse.

Don't tell me a good machine makes you an overall better player.

Last edited by Icleos (2005-12-20 16:51:30)

Adonlude
+2|6775
Hahahah.... hey I run BF2 on a 486DX4 with 8MB RAM over Win3.0 and it doesn't even have a power cord and I still run everything on medium!
BlackLegion42
Damn Command and Conquer Generals...
+62|6725|Rochester, NY
I sense a lot of sarcasm there,
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6705|Charlie One Alpha
I play BF2 on a mono-color 4-pixel monitor.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6748|Toronto, ON
I play BF2 and I don't even have a computer.
Alpha as fuck.
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6705|Charlie One Alpha
I play BF2 on two spoons and a badger.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
insanemotherfucker
+0|6705

<{SoE}>Agamemnar wrote:

dude shut up you obvously dont know what your talking about Alienware computers are one of the best gamming computers obviously you dont know much
BlackLegion42
Damn Command and Conquer Generals...
+62|6725|Rochester, NY
I Play BF2 on a slate-made slab stone tablet dated back to the Stone Age. Get Carved Graphics and a mallet and point schapel to move and fire with.
Ryan_Mercury
"It's Recharging!"
+19|6815
I don't even play BF2.. wait, where am I? wtf is this place?
maton
LAZY ZOMBIE
+-4|6773
i play BF2 in a calculator, everything on low but pretty smooth and i can play in the go!
abouth the alienware, some people don't know how to build a pc or they don't have the time or just simply don't want to build because they have the money to buy the puta pc
dub_deuces
+1|6714

<{SoE}>Agamemnar wrote:

ill agree with this statement... $4000 computer barely > my $1000 self built machine
Rakasan
+7|6832|California, USA
I don't know why you guys play on PC's, the TI-89 titanium owns!  You just gotta hook up a USB mouse and keyboard
Sluggit
+3|6714|Sweden
I was trying to play Karkand on RAW yesterday on my old computer 800*600 70 MHZ (the new comp broke down, he, he). Ping 170 and I could not see much and every time I was shooting at someone they got me first. Could not understand that first but I do now. Most off the other guys was from the US (much lower ping) my bullets had to “travel” across half the world but my character was on the server, guys with lower ping hit me first. Was aiming for the head as usual but that did not help, worst Karkand rounds ever.

Maybe U noticed that Rakasan. Wanted to try out the RAW server but will never do that again simply way to high ping!

Yes, the better Comp, the higher res, Anti Al *4 for exp the better chance off hitting someone. When the picture gets “glitchi” due to ARTY U absolutely have an advantage if U have a Comp with higher res!
IlIlIlIlIl
make it funny plz
+3|6745|Netherlands
i play bf2 on my windows 2003 smartphone with a 416mhz processor and 512kB video card
Tarasque
+0|6714|Norway
Better puters improve preformance by a great deal. Some are thinkers others are twitch players, some ... all of the above.

Better frames wont improve the stategist gameplay mutch, the twitchy speed freak on the otherhand thrives on it. And last of all your choise in weapons weither its on foot or by veicles.

Sum it upp: If you got mad reflexes you want a computer to compliment it.
Sud
+0|6743
Alienware PCs are to Gaming Computers as Desert Eagles are to non-hollywood firearms

You'll always get way more value building it yourself than you will resorting to them, the lazy fool's markup computer assembler.

But most of the things that get me are things that have nothing to do with computer. That is the ridiculous heat seeking artillery spam, and noob tubes. I don't think I can remember dying to anything that isn't tube or tillery.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard