[n00b]Tyler
Banned
+505|6645|Iceland
I was cleaning the dust from my computer and it was dusty.. I removed some fans and I opened the power supplier and it was DUSTY! well anyways I put the computer back togethere and now it wont work... Well now im fucked cause when it starts XP it goes to a blue screen for like 0.1 sec and restarts, anyone that knows what this means, if u ask me it cound be anything and I have no clue.. I cant even read what the error is cause its such a short time to read the msg.

If u help me I will give u karma untill 21th of December.

and there was this weird thing that the fan was blowing to, like a large magnet in a little circle around some steal to cool it or something which i took out to clean and it had some glue or some shit under it that was also on the motherboard.. no idea what is was but donno if it will help.

Last edited by [n00b]Tyler (2006-11-16 07:48:06)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6651|132 and Bush

Did you have any kind of error message on your blue screen?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
[n00b]Tyler
Banned
+505|6645|Iceland

Kmarion wrote:

like i said it shows up for like 0.1 sec and restarts

this could be anything
Des.Kmal
+917|6669|Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Umm, did u do anythin with ur CPU fan? because mine did that when my cpu fan got moved... and ruined a 3.0GHz p4.
Add me on Origin for Battlefield 4 fun: DesKmal
|60|Cobalt
Terror in the Skies
+30|6803|Leipzig/Germany
did u plug all the cables back at the right place?
or maybe you destroyed something in the power supply when you opened it (btw: i guess it is recommended not to open this device) - try a different power supply and see if it works or at least try to unplug all unnessessary devices from the power supply and start your computer
misfire00
Lead Magnet
+26|6832|Charleston SC - USA
Reseat all of your cables. Pull them off and make sure you didn't get any dust on the connections. Also reseat your cards.
misconfiguration
GURU
+86|6447|Indianapolis, IN

[n00b]Tyler wrote:

I was cleaning the dust from my computer and it was dusty.. I removed some fans and I opened the power supplier and it was DUSTY! well anyways I put the computer back togethere and now it wont work... Well now im fucked cause when it starts XP it goes to a blue screen for like 0.1 sec and restarts, anyone that knows what this means, if u ask me it cound be anything and I have no clue.. I cant even read what the error is cause its such a short time to read the msg.

If u help me I will give u karma untill 21th of December.

and there was this weird thing that the fan was blowing to, like a large magnet in a little circle around some steal to cool it or something which i took out to clean and it had some glue or some shit under it that was also on the motherboard.. no idea what is was but donno if it will help.
Dude, that metal 'thing' you took off of there with the 'glue' on it was your Northbridge. The 'glue' you speak of is thermal compound, it's there to draw the heat away from the chipset and up to the cooler. If you wiped it clean of compound it could be raising the temps by at least 10*C within a couple of minutes. I would suggest that you go to the local PC mart and buy some compound, take it apart again and spread more on it, make sure you keep it VERY thin, spread it with a razor blade.

I would try to boot the computer again, and once you see the BIOS post, start tapping f8, tap it a few times until you see the custom boot menu. Choose 'safe mode' and press enter, see if the PC will boot in safe mode. If it hangs on any type of process/sys file make sure you write it down, (this will be the last message you see on the screen) if it hangs there for more than 3 mins. If it blue screens, or refuses to boot here, you just may have caused yourself a hardware malfunction. Post any results, I'd like to help, just need a little more information.
mikeyb118
Evil Overlord
+76|6649|S.C.

misconfiguration wrote:

Dude, that metal 'thing' you took off of there with the 'glue' on it was your Northbridge. The 'glue' you speak of is thermal compound, it's there to draw the heat away from the chipset and up to the cooler. If you wiped it clean of compound it could be raising the temps by at least 10*C within a couple of minutes. I would suggest that you go to the local PC mart and buy some compound, take it apart again and spread more on it, make sure you keep it VERY thin, spread it with a razor blade.
I agree.
[n00b]Tyler
Banned
+505|6645|Iceland
lol i didnt clean that glue thingy caue i knew it was there for a reason but it seems to have fucked up, I have screenhots of my computer and i donno if it will help but i guess it wont hurt.

and ill do that with the F8 like u said in a few mins
misconfiguration
GURU

[n00b]Tyler wrote:

lol i didnt clean that glue thingy caue i knew it was there for a reason but it seems to have fucked up, I have screenhots of my computer and i donno if it will help but i guess it wont hurt.

and ill do that with the F8 like u said in a few mins
Yes, please post screen shots, any information you have will sincerely help a lot!
[n00b]Tyler
Banned
+505|6645|Iceland
https://img78.imageshack.us/img78/5548/img2547fw2.jpg
https://img359.imageshack.us/img359/3531/img2543jf3.jpg

Last edited by [n00b]Tyler (2006-11-16 08:16:30)

misconfiguration
GURU
I can't tell much from this, looks like everything is connected your SATA connection looks a bit stretched out but if both ends are plugged in it's fine. It's going to be hard to narrow this one down, did you take the RAM out, or the CPU??

Ok I see now that you just posted that second picture, since you took the RAM and gfx card out. I would take them out again and check down in the DIMM slots for the RAM and the slot for your GFX card to see if there is any dirt in there blocking connection.

Last edited by misconfiguration (2006-11-16 08:21:34)

[n00b]Tyler
Banned
+505|6645|Iceland
ok i have 2 systems, Linux and XP, Linux works but not XP so it must be lost files something magnetic in the computer i might have put near the harddrive while i was cleaning it... so how do i recover lost system files?
Rustcat
+0|6482|Dallas
reformat
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6649|Cheshire. UK

[n00b]Tyler wrote:

ok i have 2 systems, Linux and XP, Linux works but not XP so it must be lost files something magnetic in the computer i might have put near the harddrive while i was cleaning it... so how do i recover lost system files?
You can just put your windows cd in and boot off that ...if you re install windows to the same location ...9 / 10 it will not delete your files....but will reinstall windows around them...make sure you back up your registry though or all you links will be lost

did you put your hd on your speakers???

Last edited by joker3327 (2006-11-16 08:38:31)

joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6649|Cheshire. UK

Rustcat wrote:

reformat
No need just yet....
[n00b]Tyler
Banned
+505|6645|Iceland
this computer i have didnt have a CD to set up windows i have no idea why but it was already set up for u. So now i have another problem.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6817|UK

[n00b]Tyler wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

this could be anything
I had a very similar error on my desktop and still do, i believe its the PSU and lots of people suggested that it might be, just go buy a new one it will be cheaper.
misconfiguration
GURU

Vilham wrote:

[n00b]Tyler wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

this could be anything
I had a very similar error on my desktop and still do, i believe its the PSU and lots of people suggested that it might be, just go buy a new one it will be cheaper.
I see no relevance to that, considering Lilo/Grub will boot his Linux partition how would you explain that. If Linux works on one partition and windows doesn't it obviously means that the PSU is powering the machine to boot, eh?
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6649|Cheshire. UK

misconfiguration wrote:

Vilham wrote:

[n00b]Tyler wrote:

this could be anything
I see no relevance to that, considering Lilo/Grub will boot his Linux partition how would you explain that. If Linux works on one partition and windows doesn't it obviously means that the PSU is powering the machine to boot, eh?
Quite!! its a boot/driver/missing file prob..
[n00b]Tyler
Banned
+505|6645|Iceland
so how i reinstall XP?
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6817|UK
sorry didnt notice him saying linux worked, so different problem.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6746|NJ
Is your computer french?

It might have surrendered...

But on a serious note did you ground yourself while cleaning it?

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2006-11-16 10:03:58)

jsnipy
+3,276|6573|...

Can you go into and stay in the bios? If so is there any tempurature monitoing there?
[n00b]Tyler
Banned
+505|6645|Iceland
no and no, i unpluged everything while cleaning it

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard