Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6812|UK
Hi guys, if i can get any help it would be great. Ill start at the beginning.

When i went off to uni i disconnected my desktop completely and left it for 4 weeks before i returned home once and once reconnected worked again, then when i went back up to uni i again disconnected it. I returned home two weekends ago, I try turning it on it doesnt start for 15 minutes and it repeated restarts in 2 seconds. So i turn it off leave it plugged in for a few hours, I turn it on, get it half way in and get a blue screen of death, which causes a restart and i cant copy down the screen, I turn it off and go to bed. The next morning I go up turn it on and it starts perfect. So i decide to take it up to uni with me. Now when it gets here I set it up, leave it for a few hours plugged in and try to start it, it loads fine and I use it for hours. The next day, about 6 hours later it loads up get to the windows loading screen then restarts, so I let it load up the safe mode select screen, choose most recent settings that worked, and it restarts as soon as I do it, i keep trying the different load types, the safe mode ones load the first page of files then restarts and the others restart as soon as I select them. So thats the stage im at.

Now I talked with some friends and they think it could be the processor is too hot, im agreeing with that line of thinking, but i also think the power supply might be a bit fucked. If you have had a similar problem that you fixed please help me out. Thanks in advanced.
dubbs
+105|6678|Lexington, KY
If your CPU is overheating just by turning on your PC, they you have some serious issues.  Next time you get the BSOD, grab a pen and a piece of paper and write down the error, that would help a lot.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6812|UK

dubbs wrote:

If your CPU is overheating just by turning on your PC, they you have some serious issues.  Next time you get the BSOD, grab a pen and a piece of paper and write down the error, that would help a lot.
As I said. It restarted before I could do so. It hasnt happened since that time when I try and turn it on. But the CPU temp is like 78 degrees when I let it warm up in the BIOS temp control, the warning was at that temp but it didnt go off before. So either its a new problem or the BIOS hasnt been working correctly.
CrazeD
+368|6719|Maine
Is that 78*C?

List your hardware, that would help a lot.

If that is indeed an accurate temperature reading, then your CPU is WAY too hot. Make sure all the fans are working properly, and that dust isn't causing problems.

Besides the CPU overheating, I would place my money on PSU failure.
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6768|Oregon
if the PSU failed, it wouldnt even get to that screen. it wouldnt even get to any screen. ive had 2 psu's fail on me.

either your motherboard or your cpu has gone...

if his cpu temp was in C, i doubt it would ever start up...before the mobo posted it would shut off.

im puttin money on motherboard/bios. try flashing bios. if that fails, reinstall windows. if that fails, your computer fails. time for a new mobo/proc. might i interest you in a intel c2d?

fail.
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6748|New York
Poswer supply. Bet if you take it out take cover off youll find a blown cap. Had 2 just like it i had to fix last week. same symptoms.
CrazeD
+368|6719|Maine

[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober wrote:

if the PSU failed, it wouldnt even get to that screen. it wouldnt even get to any screen. ive had 2 psu's fail on me.

either your motherboard or your cpu has gone...

if his cpu temp was in C, i doubt it would ever start up...before the mobo posted it would shut off.

im puttin money on motherboard/bios. try flashing bios. if that fails, reinstall windows. if that fails, your computer fails. time for a new mobo/proc. might i interest you in a intel c2d?

fail.
Wrong...

First off, a faulty PSU can cause MANY symptoms. I had a POS PSU a few months ago, which caused random restarts, BSOD's, crappy performance, and just overall suckage. It corrupted my OS installation several times, forcing me to reformat.

If the warning for temperature was not yet reached, then no, it would not shut off right away.

Why on earth would you flash the BIOS? It's obviously not the BIOS, if he is able to boot to the XP splash screen.
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6644|Cheshire. UK
Check your battery!! your CMOS info is kept by a battery ....might need replacing..or it wont know what it is! .if it does its a 2032 !
CrazeD
+368|6719|Maine

joker3327 wrote:

Check your battery!! your CMOS info is kept by a battery ....might need replacing..or it wont know what it is! .if it does its a 2032 !
No, that won't matter. The only thing not having a battery will do is force you to setup the CMOS everytime you boot.
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6644|Cheshire. UK

CrazeD wrote:

joker3327 wrote:

No, that won't matter. The only thing not having a battery will do is force you to setup the CMOS everytime you boot.
unless you set it to boot without stopping on any errors...then it will go through the process of trying to recognise all the hardware every time it reboots..
Deadman
+34|6488|England
I'm betting on the PSU. I've had this happen twice to me, both times the PC's had been stood around a while.
Just sounds all too familiar.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6678|Finland

That sounds awfully familiar.. I had a similar event occur to me. Actually I was doing some "dawnloading" (clicky linky in siggy for information-y), and in the morning my PC was boot-looping (no, it's not an East-European techno-dance), without hope of starting in any mode.

I decided to cut my losses, lose a bunch of stuff (such as photographs), and do the full-format-reinstall hustle.

It worked.

Last edited by DonFck (2006-11-14 05:11:17)

I need around tree fiddy.
capt. crunch
+8|6495|that place
Write down the first number given and google that and it will give you exactly what it is.
Drykill
I Like Waffles.
+47|6738|England
I've had a similar problem as mentioned above but that was dude to hard drive corruption messing up the OS (kept smacking my knee against the case ) If you hold F8 before windows begins to load isn't there an option to Halt on errors allowing you to take note of the error code? If not just take a picture of it with a camera.
Breez
AKA: badhq
+937|6678|Derby, England

joker3327 wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

joker3327 wrote:

unless you set it to boot without stopping on any errors...then it will go through the process of trying to recognise all the hardware every time it reboots..
This guy has helped me with my restart problems ( not sayng others wouldent ) but like I said this one helped me :-)

Peace Boris
jgrahl
+4|6736
First thing I alwys do is change out the suspected faulty hardware.  Try PSU first since it's easy.  Then try CPU.  Later, try motherboard, which will take a long time.  There is a catch, you need all of this hardware available to do this with.

Once you get it to start properly with the different hardware you know what is wrong.  If it still doesn't start after that, then you can reformat your HDD.  That's the final step.  If reformat doesn't work, get a new hard drive.  This is how I do it, always works for me.
misconfiguration
GURU
+86|6442|Indianapolis, IN

CrazeD wrote:

Is that 78*C?

If that is indeed an accurate temperature reading, then your CPU is WAY too hot. Make sure all the fans are working properly, and that dust isn't causing problems.

If the machine is 78*C that's 18*C hotter than the critical level of most AMD procs.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6812|UK
Thanks for all the responses, I have yet to be able to do anything but ill try the things suggested, just to confirm 78*C.

Also PSU? You mean the processing unit?
Deadman
+34|6488|England

Vilham wrote:

Also PSU? You mean the processing unit?
Power supply unit.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6812|UK
Components:
2x 512Mb RAM
1x 1024Mb RAM

3.2Ghz Pentium 4

Radeon 9550 Graphics Card

1x 20Gb Harddrive with OS and critical software.
1x 80Gb Harddrive with games etc.

Windows XP Home

Abit AI7 Motherboard

ATX 300W Power Supply.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6643|Seattle

Try unplugging your CD ROM.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
CrazeD
+368|6719|Maine

misconfiguration wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Is that 78*C?

If the machine is 78*C that's 18*C hotter than the critical level of most AMD procs.
AMD 64's max out at 80*C.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6678|Finland

CrazeD wrote:

misconfiguration wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Is that 78*C?

AMD 64's max out at 80*C.
939's also?
I need around tree fiddy.
CrazeD
+368|6719|Maine

DonFck wrote:

939's also?
I believe so.
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6748|New York
A BAd PSU with a ad cap will boot, Youll have times where it wont go past the logo, But when it warms up enough, you see it boot up, yakes time but it will boot. Sometimes it will even be fine for a bit, until the PSU itself overheats and it starts Messing up and restarting, and looping to the load screen then reboots and keeps doing it. If you let the PSU cool down, it will be fine for a bit again.

Ive had it where the cap was burntt black and the thing still worked until it heated up good.

PSU is usually the weakest part besides the HD that will be the source of most problems.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard