Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6727|Tampa Bay Florida
Would buying an Alienware still be a wise decision?  I've heard a few horror stories.  But only a few.  Does anyone know if they have kept their sanity and still produce high quality products after being bought by Dell?

Pls, don't say "Build your own"
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6432|The Gem Saloon
i honestly dont know shit about pc's, but i was going to get an alienware until i read some of the stuff posted here.....search up some of the posts, might change your mind.
SaladForks
/ph34r
+129|6619|Eastern USA
Build your own.

Dell = Ripoff. They gave me a 170 power supply when a normal Pentium comp needs 350.

Alienware = Ripoff. Too expensive. Close it at that. Dell comp = 1/2 Alienware.

Custom ftw.
Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6670|USA
Yes. ALienware is a ripoff. Customization FTW
LT.Victim
+1,175|6600|British Columbia, Canada
I was thinking about buying a Alienware too, since I dont have a clue how to build a PC..

I have 3 Dell computers already anyways... 2 Desktops, and 1 Laptop..

Another Dell product couldn't hurt...

Whats so bad since Dell bought them out?

Shit componets, or just over-priced for what your getting?
Revelstoke
The Medic Whore
+9|6739|Ontario
hate to break it to you man, but alienware was always shit

if you really dont want to make your own, check out these guys, theyre canadian, and they have the sweetest paintjobs ever, plus they're given a big thumbs up from fps doug and the pure pwnage crew if you watch them..

www.voodoopc.com

really really sweet, i really suggest you take a look at them..
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6563|South Florida
Well, just click the costomize button on the Alienware PC your looking at and look up the prices for each part they list, and add them all up. You'll pay a lot more for all the parts from alienware, thats how AW makes there money.
15 more years! 15 more years!
CrazeD
+368|6710|Maine

Revelstoke wrote:

Couldn't agree more!
Chuckskull
+3|6413
If you really want a decent prebuilt, look into vadim, voodoo or falcon northwest. TBH learn to build one, it's piss easy, even I can do it

Alienware is majorly overpriced for the parts you get.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6804|UK
This is my story of Alienware.

I browse their laptops and choose one with:

1gb RAM
2.0 Ghz Core Duo 2
Geforce 7400
15" Screen

I order it on September 6th for £1210.
It arrives on August 20th.
I run 3d Mark06 on it against my friends same priced Dell Inspirion 9400. It scores around 1400 the Dell scores 3551.
I phone Alienware and ask for my 14 day refund BY LAW. They fuck me about for 1 week and cost me £100 in travelling and phone calls, not to mention he £50 return cost my dad stumped up, luckily.
I return the Alienware.
I get a Dell Inspriron 9400 with:

2Gb RAM
2.0Ghz Core Duo2
Geforce 7900 GS
17" Screen

Conclusion? Alienware have gone to shit! They sold me a laptop that cant game and claim it "packs the punch of Core 2 Duo processors to blaze through your games". How the hell can they expect to stay alive if they can't produce gaming laptops that are better than other companies for the same price? Word of warning:

DO NOT BUY ALIENWARE'S!
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6563|South Florida

Revelstoke wrote:

if you really dont want to make your own, check out these guys, theyre canadian, and they have the sweetest paintjobs ever, plus they're given a big thumbs up from fps doug and the pure pwnage crew if you watch them..

www.voodoopc.com

really really sweet, i really suggest you take a look at them..
I don't mean to step out of line but.... WHAT THE FUCK???
The PC's i looked at at voodoo where outragious, $5500 for some computer that is shit! for real!! For 5500 ide have 4 gb dual channel ram, and the best processor, that only had 2gb, and it came with an 80 gig hd? 80 gigs are like 40 bux, how could the hole comp possibly come to 5500 lolz
15 more years! 15 more years!
norge
J-10 and a coke please
+18|6507

Spearhead wrote:

Would buying an Alienware still be a wise decision?  I've heard a few horror stories.  But only a few.  Does anyone know if they have kept their sanity and still produce high quality products after being bought by Dell?

Pls, don't say "Build your own"
BUILD UR OWN.

idc, theres no fucking reason to not build ur own. ull get 2x better parts for 1/2 the price, and you know exactly what kinda work built it.  buying from a manufacturer, they use shit parts, at much higher prices.
CrazeD
+368|6710|Maine

Vilham wrote:

This is my story of Alienware.

I browse their laptops and choose one with:

1gb RAM
2.0 Ghz Core Duo 2
Geforce 7400
15" Screen

I run 3d Mark06 on it against my friends same priced Dell Inspirion 9400. It scores around 1400 the Dell scores 3551.
I phone Alienware and ask for my 14 day refund BY LAW. They fuck me about for 1 week and cost me £100 in travelling and phone calls, not to mention he £50 return cost my dad stumped up, luckily.
I return the Alienware.
I get a Dell Inspriron 9400 with:

2Gb RAM
2.0Ghz Core Duo2
Geforce 7900 GS
17" Screen

Conclusion? Alienware have gone to shit! They sold me a laptop that cant game and claim it "packs the punch of Core 2 Duo processors to blaze through your games". How the hell can they expect to stay alive if they can't produce gaming laptops that are better than other companies for the same price? Word of warning:

DO NOT BUY ALIENWARE'S!
So, basically you're saying you didn't do research, bought a machine with lesser specs, then got surprised with how a machine of better specs smoked it in a benchmark, then returned your machine, and call the company bad? Sorry dude, it doesn't work that way. YOU bought a POS because YOU obviously didn't care to spend much time in researching it.

Now, I do not believe that Alienware is the way to go, I don't like Alienware, and I am all for building your own system. HOWEVER, your story in no way says that Alienware is a bad company, it only means you can't read.

Alienware doesn't really make "bad" computers. They use top of the line components and everything. You can even find liquid-cooled Alienwares. However, they jack the price through the roof for no reason at all. If you buy an Alienware, you are paying nearly 60 - 70% for the name "Alienware".

They sell one machine for 6 or 7000$, which you can build a BETTER system for less than 2500$. If they knocked their prices by atleast 40%, they MAY start to look considerable.

That and the fact of what they said about the reviews on websites. For those that don't know, they basically said, "Give us (alienware) a positive review, or we'll no longer give you parts for review". That, in my mind, is very unprofessional and selfish of them. That makes me not want anything to do with the company, just because of that.

For all that want a new computer, do not buy an Alienware, or a Dell, or an eMachines, or any pre-built. BUILD YOUR OWN if you want a high-tech, top-of-the-line, QUALITY machine. You will know EXACTLY what is in it, you can start with a FRESH OS, no marketing crap that is pre-installed (yes I'm aware you can erase all that, but still); and you have the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment when it's all done.

Building a computer is not hard at all! It's literally a matter of plugging in some PCB boards, some wires, and putting some screws in.
Maj.Do
+85|6789|good old CA
Alienware has pretty nice computers but they are overpriced thats why they arent good.  People say there "shit" because Dell bought them out.  Actually Alienware still operates like it would if dell didnt buy them.

Other Alternative companies you can go with could be ibuypower one.  Also i would say build your own if you know how to.  If you don't, try and get any of your friends or people on here to help you build one.  Remember theres no tech support for it.
Deadman
+34|6480|England

Vilham wrote:

Dude, thats fast delivery!!! LOL
Alienware must be awesome if they have a time machine. j/k
LT.Victim
+1,175|6600|British Columbia, Canada

Deadman wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Dude, thats fast delivery!!! LOL
Alienware must be awesome if they have a time machine. j/k
Ya wtf...

You waited almost a year for your Laptop? Typo?
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6428

My friend bought a top of the range Alienware laptop.  It melted twice, and so he just got a refund and went elsewhere.
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6885|San Francisco

Alienware has always been fairly bad as far as I can recall. Too many friends have had them break and then had nightmares trying to get a refund or replacement. On top of various hardware and service problems Alienware computers are generally way overpriced for what you get, though to be fair ANY company that will assemble a computer for you is going to be more costly than putting things together yourself.

My personal choice (if I were to ever actually buy a pc through a company instead of building my own) would be Overdrive PC.
Horse
+14|6593
Gotta tell you. My pc is Alienware, had it 2 yrs now and it still rocks, BF2 plays flawlessly
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6605|NYC / Hamburg

Horse wrote:

Gotta tell you. My pc is Alienware, had it 2 yrs now and it still rocks, BF2 plays flawlessly
still, if you would have build the pc yourself/got someone to do it cheap you would now have 2 pcs running bf2 flawlessly for the same price

Last edited by max (2006-11-14 04:26:47)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
kilgoretrout
+53|6507|Little Rock, AR

Vilham wrote:

Wait, wait...  It seems like Alienware got the laptop to you through a time warp...  The had it to you 17 days before you ordered it...  That's some bad ass customer service as far as I'm concerned...

On topic, I have an Alienware PC and I like it alright, but I bought it when I had serious cashflow from graduating college.  It's not hard to build your own, and you will save a ton of money that way.  However, if you'd rather just get a company that knows what they're doing to build you a nice PC, I've personally had good luck with Alienware.
DaReJa
BF2s US Server Admin
+257|6664|Los Angeles, California, US.
Don't Buy Alienware. Build It Yourself.

I Love Home Built Computers. .

Last edited by DaReJa (2006-11-14 04:29:40)

Battlelog: DaReJa
MyBFi/BF3i Admin

AKA DanielRJ
GameSurge IRC Network, Support Agent and Staff
Phuzion IRC Network, Support Director and Operator
jsnipy
+3,276|6560|...

alienware==poop
... and you wouldn't buy poop would you? (barring commerical fertilizer uses)
demondspawn
+7|6799|Aussie in the UK
I got myself a alinware pc about 2 years ago will not get another one of them will now build my own, but i have one good case to build my new pc into
misconfiguration
GURU
+86|6434|Indianapolis, IN

demondspawn wrote:

I got myself a alinware pc about 2 years ago will not get another one of them will now build my own, but i have one good case to build my new pc into
Alienware still makes some bad ass rigs, they're a bit overpriced. You could seriously build your own more-powerful machine for a considerable amount less. Albeit buying an Alienware just isn't about performance, it's a status symbol among gamers, am I wrong? Another thing, you honestly can't beat the performance the laptops have to offer. Laptop parts are so proprietary it's almost impossible to build a rig as powerful as the Alienware lappy's come, that's why my laptop is a Alienware, when I'm on the road I need to have some sort of gaming rig to travel. They're bulky as hell but damn I can play BF2 at 50FPS, not to shabby for a laptop.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard