Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6555|San Diego, CA, USA
The Democrats said that they plan on creating legislation in the next term to allow families to claim college tuition.

Is making College tutition a tax deduction the answer to reducing the costs of college tuition for the middle class?  What effect would this cause?

https://www.senate.gov/~schumer/SchumerWebsite/images/photos/sen-chuck_tv.jpg

Charles Schumer wrote:

We're going to make college tuition deductible.
Source: Democrats Now Look to Sustain Majority
Source: Transcript: Sens. Elizabeth Dole and Charles Schumer on 'FNS'

Last edited by Harmor (2006-11-13 03:33:20)

kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6556|Southeastern USA
band-aid on a broken leg, i doubt this will do much of anything other than buy a few more votes next election
pedigreeuk
I'm English, not British!
+113|6777|Rotherham, England

kr@cker wrote:

band-aid on a broken leg, i doubt this will do much of anything other than buy a few more votes next election
But does that not make it successful?
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6556|Southeastern USA
it won't be enough is what i'm saying, tuition will keep raising at ridiculous rates, they need to start looking into the reason some books miraculously cost $160 and get rid of all the politically correct waste programs.
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6507|Los Angeles
It will help. College effectively becomes less expensive. When the price of something goes down, more people buy it. Simple economics.

Will this allow everyone in the country to attend college? Hardly.

Are the "Dems" referring to this sort of legislation as the begin-and-end-all "answer" to making college affordable, as the OP suggests in the title of this thread? I seriously doubt it.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6646|Your moms bedroom
hmmmm good idea, but now colleges are going to jack up the tuition even more. as it is now, your interest on your student loans is tax deductible for the first 5 years after you graduate

Last edited by Locoloki (2006-11-13 09:32:30)

Locoloki
colleges will never become less expensive
tuition went up over 5000 dollars between my freshman and senior  year
redhawk454
+50|6554|Divided States of America
I guess the people who still cant afford tuition are gonna be upset because the upper and middle classes get more help. Like when the taxes were cut and alot of people got checks, but the poor didnt.
Locoloki
Also, now that so many banks are offering student aid/government funded loans (making it more affordable for everyone) selection into schools will become tougher and it will further increase the rising cost of tuition.

I saw this on a special report on some major news provider a few months ago

Last edited by Locoloki (2006-11-13 09:41:09)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6562
Move to the Republic of Ireland. All university and college fees are paid for by the government and all those whose parents fall below a certain income level get college grants of about $2000 per annum. The only fee you pay is a capitation fee of about €200. I left university with my degree and a bank balance in the black (just about)!!

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-11-13 10:17:07)

AlbertWesker[RE]
Not Human Anymore
+144|6650|Seattle, WA
Ireland FTW  , It is a hot button issue, a tought decisions.  You can't just raise taxes, you can't just do deductions full out.  I think if you do partial deductions and use waivers, completely disband the Dept. of Education (waste of money) and use that money directly for Pell grants.  Problem solved.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard