TheMajorBummer
Have a nice day!
+-4|6823|Netherlands

starman7 wrote:

All it is is making sure that you're not looking at a European ad in America or whatever.  All it tracks is your general location, and the times you play.

It is NOT spyware.

And besides, Mcdonalds will survive to 2142.  In fact the ads are probably a bonus, because otherwise they'd have to fill up those billboards with generic ads which are unconvincing.

Won't it?

And... why would you be looking at the static ads when you could be doing what you're supposed to be doing?
BLA  BLA shit mcdonalds...

I PREFER  BURGERKING!!!

www.burgerking.com 

Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6443|The Land of Scott Walker
The title of this thread should be edited to "2142 did not ship with spyware, it's only ingame ads" if it's going to be stickied.  The ads are based on what region you're in, nothing about your personal web surfing habits, etc.
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6827|Denver colorado

TheMajorBummer wrote:

starman7 wrote:

All it is is making sure that you're not looking at a European ad in America or whatever.  All it tracks is your general location, and the times you play.

It is NOT spyware.

And besides, Mcdonalds will survive to 2142.  In fact the ads are probably a bonus, because otherwise they'd have to fill up those billboards with generic ads which are unconvincing.

Won't it?

And... why would you be looking at the static ads when you could be doing what you're supposed to be doing?
BLA  BLA shit mcdonalds...

I PREFER  BURGERKING!!!

www.burgerking.com 

QFT. Burgerking KNOWS they are selling big fat burgers but they are alright with that and dont try to say they are healthy.
gun.KingRat
+12|6688
Sorry I'm getting to this thread so late, but I wasn't going to get 2142 so I haven't been reading the forums. Was it ever decided whether or not this was spyware or what it actually does on your PC? I want to play, but not at the risk of infecting my system.
Brasso
+1,549|6628

gun.KingRat wrote:

Sorry I'm getting to this thread so late, but I wasn't going to get 2142 so I haven't been reading the forums. Was it ever decided whether or not this was spyware or what it actually does on your PC? I want to play, but not at the risk of infecting my system.
It's total bull.  Get the game, you won't be dissapointed.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
gun.KingRat
+12|6688
Thanks. Appreciate the quick response.
thefousteph
+8|6729
I may sound like deranged, but id like to actually SEE thoses ads!!!!

Didn't see one with 40 hours of playtime

My wife told me she saw a Coke ad but i didn't see it (maybe i was too busy shooting at people!!!!)

Please post pics if you saw one!
HUNDaemon
Exploit/Glitch "Tester"
+49|6373|Inside the AR Rockets.

paranoid101 wrote:

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/8249/igavy2li0.jpg

LOL I'm reassured.
Found it as well.. Looking at it right now.. Interesting, the things you ignore.
Afrika_18
+26|6540

[Project.D]-Demon wrote:

On a peculiar note, even though the world is ending in 2142, it appears that advertising will still be around. Battlefield 2142 features in-game ads, though we didn't get to see them firsthand during our testing. Still, there is a printed disclaimer that comes with the game telling you that Battlefield 2142 will analyze certain "advertising data" on your machine to determine what ads to display to you. Ironically, EA says that if you don't want your data shared with its advertising partner then "do not install or play the software on any platform that is used to connect to the Internet." But that would pretty much defeat the purpose of playing Battlefield 2142, wouldn't it? Of course, you could always play single-player against the artificial intelligence, though the AI won't be mistaken for human opponents any time soon, and the single-player is still limited to 16-player maps. Still, this is an example of things to come, as we begin to see dynamic in-game ads appear in more and more games.

Then i wont be buying anything from ea anymore.... im done with ea.... they fucked over the ps2 racing side and now they are fucking over the pc side so screw ea im done with it.
This is true, its only a matter of time before they open a drive-through in Karkand and Jalalabad and other consumer packed maps.  You'll be able to spawn at the local Mc-Dees and grab a Big Mac before you start fragging.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard