Fear58
+3|6700
'Till this point I've been doing my best to make my own unlock decisions, but since I'm primarily a weekend player (occassionally a weeknight just to goof off half-1 hour with unlocks) and i'm starting to reach the bigger point spreads to the next rank-ups, I need some guidance.

I believe I have 8,200 points or so, and my next jump is near 9,800...something like that. I have 2 unlocks waiting in the queue, and would like some help for my decision:

What I play Primarily: Titan Mode

Most played Class: Recon

Kit Unlocks I already have: Recon - ALL ----- Assault - BAUR ladder + Revive thing ----- Engineer - NONE ----- Support - NONE.

Player abilities ladder - the first 3 (the sprint things)

Squad leader unlocks - NONE

the squad leader unlocks don't really interest me, as I'm usually a squad member, and the top unlock in it (floating thing with guns) never ceased to impress me to much, after watching people use it.

The extra ammo for the pistols and grenades interest me a bit...
But I was REALLY leaning towards climbing a new ladder for the guns. Of course, for the guns I want, the stuff in between is junk. I was really looking to climbing for the engineer PILUM or maybe the support CLARK

Any opinions and help would be much appreciated!
Mouse315
Bash.org Junkie
+105|6529
Pilum owns.
jord
+2,382|6687|The North, beyond the wall.
Hasn't the Pilum only got like 5 bullets?
VeNg3nCe^
¦Tactics Øver Principles¦
+314|6714|Antarctica
Get the right engineer tree, (EMP mines, Reapair tool upgrade, motion mines) but not the AA gun unless u love shooting at planes.

Last edited by VeNg3nCe^ (2006-11-10 09:03:29)

MuseSeeker
2142 Soldier: Behenaut
+110|6784|EUR

jord wrote:

So? Don't the others.
Mouse315
Bash.org Junkie
+105|6529

jord wrote:

It replaces the rocket launcher, it can't have too many rounds or engineers would be the new snipers.
jkohlc
2142th Whore
+214|6535|Singapore
try the unlocks mod by ffolkes
jord

MuseSeeker wrote:

jord wrote:

So? Don't the others.
Yes,but don't the others launch like 3 rockets,easily killing enemy infantry?
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6555|Doncaster, UK
The Pilum-H-AVR is a Heavy Anti-Vehicle Rifle, it's not meant to kill infantry. If you want more rounds for the Pilum play as a team and have a support in there.
Mouse315
Bash.org Junkie
+105|6529

jord wrote:

Yes,but don't the others launch like 3 rockets,easily killing enemy infantry?
Pilum easily kills enemy infantry too, you just have to lead them more as it is not guided.
Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6769
While everyone says the Pilum owns, it does - at short to medium range. At long/extreme ranges it is uselss, as its accuracy is sometimes a bit flawed (enough to make you miss a target) and its unguided, so a small movement by the target and you miss. An example is on Minsk: while defending the front line as EU I couldn't hit PAC tanks across the valley with the Pilum.

However, at short/medium ranges, it does own, due to not having a warning tone. This means you can stay hidden in the same place and keep hitting the target. You can also use it at point-blank range -- run out behind a tank and blast it.

There's also a rumour that the Pilum is stronger. It isn't, it does the same damage as the regular launcher.

Finally, against infantry it only works on stationary targets.
Zefar
+116|6658|Sweden
Pilum destroy a console in 3 hits or something and rarely hurts team mates. So I would go for it.
jord

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

The Pilum-H-AVR is a Heavy Anti-Vehicle Rifle, it's not meant to kill infantry. If you want more rounds for the Pilum play as a team and have a support in there.
I know what Enginner is supposed to do.

When i encounter any other kit with a rifle,the Smg loses alot of the time,unless the rifle guy sucks.So the
Rocket launcher comes in handy for distance infantary as guiding it into someone is easier.

I play as a team or a squad alot,but when all your Support guys are 500 metres away on your Titanic putting ammo bags on guns i aint going to get much ammo.
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6397|New York
i usually find myself coming out on top with the engi's smg. you just have to get real close and unload half your clip.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
StormEye
Sniper
+50|6654|Malibu

Zefar wrote:

Pilum destroy a console in 3 hits or something and rarely hurts team mates. So I would go for it.
VERY true in deed.

IMO, as well as many other players who HAVE posted a reply and who HAVE NOT posted a reply, Pilum would be a popular answer in your case.

Fear58, as you can see from my stats, I am a recon user myself. I have seen (AND I have done...) countless teamkills resulting from my teammates ignoring my CRY to get the hell out of the console area due to my RDX-Demo packs going to be exploding very soon. I usually give 5 seconds heads up, if in dire situation 3 seconds. However almost no one listened to me and I ALWAYS have gotten one or two teamkill per console that I took down. After a while (I destroyed 8~9 so far, not many I know.) I just gave up because of all the teamkill punish and kicks from the server.

Pilum H-AVR will help you destroy consoles faster (not as fast as demo pack, heck what can) AND since Titan mode has tons of vehicles trying to cap silos, sneak up to their back (usually where their weak point exist) and unload an ultra-high caliber round either to make them go nuts or to completely destroy them. Remember that Pilum is the only Anti-Vehicle weapon which can guarantee a FAST one-shot kill on vehicles (others can one-shot kill but vehicles usually stay on fire for for some duation of time for them) upon your round contacting their weakest spot; you can even take down a Battle Walker with one-shot if you know where to hit.

However, you have to remember that this thing is not really meant for shooting moving targets at a distance. Sure you can do it but try to refrain from doing so because you have total of 6 rounds (1 in the chamber 5 extra ammo), and if you are not with a support player, you might not want to waste those ammo. Besides saying that, you CAN rely upon it to shoot medium-long range (between medium and long range) on targets who are trying to capture flag, repair, and for whatever reason that they are stationary for. Just remember to go prone and not move since moving adds significant deviance on this weapon. Use it just like a sniper rifle, but for a shorter distances.

While trying to acheive the goal of getting Pilum H-AVR, you will get a defuse kit (AE Defuser), NetBat Vehicle ID (Another NetBat system for you, Passive), and a vehicle sonar (PDS-1). Now you can go into enemy titan and defuse those APM mines, Demo Packs (even though I do not recommend this one since you don't know when they are gonna blow. BUT you defuse pretty fast), and on ground you can defuse those pesky motion mines and EMP mines from the silos that you are bound to encounter when you are trying to capture one. Use can use your vehicle sonar either by placing in the silo for a heads up notice for you to defend a silo, or you can slqp it onto a vehicle to give you a mobile sonar for enemy vehicle; just becareful not to mistaken between your PDS-1 and UAV, because they have the same white circle on the mini-map.

Hope this has helped you in the hard choice that you are going to make.

StormEye Out.
straz_mataz
Banned
+86|6543|Edmonton Alberta

heggs wrote:

i usually find myself coming out on top with the engi's smg. you just have to get real close and unload half your clip.
so true!
the smg doesnt hit shit on anything more than 30 meters...well it does but you basically have to shoot like 3 bullets at a time to hit anything at that distance
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6397|New York

straz_mataz wrote:

heggs wrote:

so true!
the smg doesnt hit shit on anything more than 30 meters...well it does but you basically have to shoot like 3 bullets at a time to hit anything at that distance
basically playing the same way you had to with the AT in bf2, with the dao 12 unlock.

the trick is learning how to cut the distance and make people come after you so you have close quaters.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
zeidmaan
+234|6424|Vienna

I think the extra clip and extra granade is waste of an unlock.
Since you mostly play Titan mod I wouldnt recommend Clark Shotgun since, lets face it, it LAGS in the titan.
And Lambert + APM + RDX = awsome titan defense combo.

I also recommend Pilum (it was my first unlock) but not for destroying consoles wtf people.
Combined with vechile radar it pwns. It shown you Armour on the minimap so you can see where they are and also which way they are facing. So shots in the back are alot more often, believe me.

PS. If you find your self in the Console room with 5 more teammates than dont plant the RDX. Just shoot it and it will get dostroyed in seconds.
Buzerk1
+44|6845
Pilum, PDS-1, motion mines.... Go Engi BTW, the extra clip gets really handy for the Engi.

Last edited by Buzerk1 (2006-11-10 11:07:03)

AmbassadorofPain
+34|6666|Devil's Perch

VeNg3nCe^ wrote:

Get the right engineer tree, (EMP mines, Reapair tool upgrade, motion mines) but not the AA gun unless u love shooting at planes.
I second this. The repair tool upgrade comes very handy a lot of times and the motion mines are by far one of the most useful unlocks in the game - there's close to no escape, the AA gun is mostly wasted unlock. I'll keep that till the end, perhaps before the tier 2 and 3 squadleader unlocks.

The Clark Shotgun is nice. There's no doubt about that. It's not only nice for Titan defense/attack, I've also had some pretty entertaining rounds with it on maps like Camp Gibraltar or once the combat on Belgrade focuses on certain areas.
It is a good unlock, but due to the range one of very limited use. Especially if you are already aware of the defense capabilities of the Recon-class, there's not much point to go that way unless you think you want a change to keep the game from being too repetetive.

The squadleader beacon is - IMHO of course - the only good squadleader unlock. Not least because it's good for a badge which equals another 20, 500, 1000 points. You should consider that, but if you don't have much desire to play squadleader, you might as well ignore this completely.

I also like the additional grenade and pistol ammo. I think you have like 15 shots in the PAC pistol then, which helps a lot when trying to get some pistol kills and you can't get to shoot your enemies from behind or flank. The additional clip for the engineer's SMG is a nice addition, too.
Proud member of a dead community.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6530|Austin, Texas
Clark. FTW.

When titan defending as a SL, I go clark. Place a SLB behind the titan core, behind the "force field" thing. Equip the Clark, the Sentry Gun, and the PDS-1(I think that's what it's called.). The PDS shows any and all enemies hiding anywhere, and from there on just go hunting. Especially helpful when you want to throw grenades up on the "Second level". Unlimited ammo helps too.
zeidmaan
+234|6424|Vienna

erm... PDS shows only vechiles and not infantry so on titan its useless
But I know that you mean the other thingy, PDD or PID or somthing like that, that detects infantry. It is quite usefull but as he, the topic starter, said he plays mostly Titan mod and with all the lag playing with clark shottie becomes anoying. I love it on Cerbere, Gibraltar, Tunis etc. But for titan its either Recon with lambert and APM/RDX or assault with rocket attachment.
There is literaly no place in the titan core safe from assault rockets
You can kill people as fast as you can reload.
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6655|Peoria
I would say Pilum tree, as the Defuser is awesome for Titan mode with all the claymores and RDX, and the PSD-1 Rocks in gerneral. Also, the Pilum has six shots, it takes three shots to kill a console, and it can kill walkers and tanks in 1 hit. (note that sometimes, unlike the PAC launcher and the Pilum, the EU launcher can't always kill a Console in one hit, because it shoots multiple rockets and they all don't always hit.)
HellGuard99
+2|6533
if u like destroying vehicles in titan mode, heres a tip - if you have a chance to grab an APC; grab it. whenever you encounter something armored. switch your seat position and pod onto the vehicle - damaging it and then attack it with your pilum - its an awesome strategy im serious
FALLOUTBOMB
+6|6536|northern virginia, US
man forget 2142 im stickin with bf2

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard