lowing
Banned
+1,662|6686|USA

Bertster7 wrote:

kr@cker wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Not the case. Minimum wage in LA is $10.33 or $9.08 with health benefits.
holy christ, health benefits?!?!?! oh wait, it's LA, explains alot.
In the UK we get $10.19 AND free health care. Our economy doesn't suffer from it.

(Well, maybe it does - but our economy is still doing extremely well)
and just think of all you could put away for YOUR retirement if you didn't have to work so hard for everyone that doesn't feel like it.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6674|Your moms bedroom
ok..i can see a raise in minimum wage, but not a gigantic jump, just enough to cover the rising cost of gas... shit Exxon (the gas company) just posted its Second record breaking quarter in row, and by record i mean higher than any other company in the history of the stock market 2 in a row, thats like kobe bryant scoring 105 pts in a game, and then 2 months later scoring 114 in a game... Exxon makes money, you know why? because they can charge us 3.15 cents a gallon when all it costs them is 35 cents to refine it, you know who supports all this.... Bush, cause he owns oil and when he leaves the office he wants him and his family to be set for life.
GeneralDodo
+5|6730
Yes the democrats are going to raise the minimum, but they'll take it away when they raise taxes
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6770|Salt Lake City

Minimum wage has a place, and prevents exploitation of low wage workers, but you just can't jump it up like that.  I agree it needs to be raised a little, as it hasn't been adjusted for inflation in nearly 10 years, but $10 is too much.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6584|Southeastern USA
minimum wage, society's way of saying you're worthless

"if i could pay you less i would, but that would be illegal"
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6686|USA

kr@cker wrote:

minimum wage, society's way of saying you're worthless

"if i could pay you less i would, but that would be illegal"
Well apparently the liberal line of thinking is:........If you won't ACTUALLY EARN a good living, we should go ahead and spoon feed you one.

Vote democrat, it is easier than getting a job.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6563|Global Command
My average employee makes $750.00 per week.
I start at $10.. per hour so minimum wages doesn't affect me. Its all about taxes. Government hacks vote for more wages because there are more weekly withholdings. Its in the billions of dollars.
Anfidurl
Use the bumper, that's what its for!
+103|6627|Lexington, Kentucky

Harmor wrote:

Now that the newly Democratic Congress is in power, why not just set the Minimum Wage to $10/hour?
Because businesses/schools/suppliers/distributors/employers are not going to charge any less than they think they can wring out of your wallet. Hence, if the minimum wage was 10/hr, then prices on goods and services would double. Which is why when you go into Cracker Barrel, you see all of those ads for Coke being 5 cents.

You could make $10 an hour, but it wouldn't help you.
beerface702
+65|6727|las vegas
hah good luck

the min here in neveda is 5.15 and has been since 94'.

only a handfull of cities are over 7 an hour due to living expense, and even that wont cut it

luckily im making 17 at my new gig, so all is well.

and yes ive worked for min wage in my life, hell im only 25.

you kids have it pretty good, although i think the min should be up to at least 6.75 in most states. 5.15 is a bit low in this day in age.

hell my mom, she is 62. worked for 1.25 an hour in 1968 or 70.

now that is table scraps

the common iraq..well let's just say they would kill for 1.25 an hour

Last edited by beerface702 (2006-11-08 23:59:07)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6635|132 and Bush

I'm hoping this was a joke. Say goodbye to small business and hello to inflation.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6583|San Diego, CA, USA
According to the U.S. Department of Labor: Bureau of Labor Statistics May 2005 National Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates for the United States:

Code:

Occupation Title Employment   Median Hourly  Mean Hourly  Mean Annual
All Occupations  130,307,840     $14.15        $18.21       $37,870
Source: http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nat.htm#b00-0000

The lower median hourly wage was from Waiters and Waitresses:

Code:

Occupation Title        Employment  Median Hourly   Mean Hourly   Mean Annual
Waiters and Waitresses   2,274,770      $6.83          $7.84        $16,310
of which only 10% of them are making $5.64/hour or less. 

Source: http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes353031.htm
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6806|PNW

Perhaps if government officials would stop voting itself bigger paychecks, businesses wouldn't have to be taxed so much and, thusly, would be able to pay their people more.
N.A.T.O
The People’s Champion
+59|6474|A drop house

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Perhaps if government officials would stop voting itself bigger paychecks, businesses wouldn't have to be taxed so much and, thusly, would be able to pay their people more.
Good point The only things government officials seem to agree on nowadays is bigger paychecks for themselves, but nothing new there give the common worker an extra 2 dollars and raise there’s thousands.
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6736|New York

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

A noble idea.  At the very minimum there should be a standard living wage for each region that would be adjusted for inflation once a year to replace the federal minimum wage.  $10/hr might be able to get you by in a small town, but that about pays for rent where I live.

Federal minimum wage= $5.15/hr.

$5.15 x 40hrs/week = $206/week (pretax)

$206 x 52wks/yr = $10712 (pretax)

The 2006 Federal Poverty Guideline (according to the DHHS) for a one person household = $9800
Thats exactly why you goto collage or trade school. You live with or merry and you both work.

My father In Law runs a Glass shop. He can hardly keep afloat here in the winter with the 4 employees(including himself) that get $9 an hour plus benefits. If the Min wage were to goto $10 an hour, places like his, and seasonal ones would be forced to close down because they couldnt afford to opperate. This in turn will then come out of the tax payers pockets a bit because these workers in turn are entitled to unemployment benefits Atleast here for 40 weeks at up to $360 a week.

Possibly a moddest increast up to $7.50 with possible smaller increases a year would work depending on the economy. Because when all is said and done as most have said, The burden of the higher Min wage falls back to the consumer in higher priced goods, and possibly higher priced healthcare premiums(again) and Higher pricees across the board, includeing shipping costs, freight, manufacturing costs, You name it, they will have to try and recoup it some how.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!

ATG wrote:

My average employee makes $750.00 per week.
I start at $10.. per hour so minimum wages doesn't affect me. Its all about taxes. Government hacks vote for more wages because there are more weekly withholdings. Its in the billions of dollars.
another fine example of capitalism/small business at work, take the time to sweat a little and/or learn a trade (school is not required for that) and you can already start at that. or you could be a whiny worthless drag on society and expect other people to work for your paycheck. if you start entitling people to 10 an hour they have no need to better themselves, you are disrupting the economic equivalent of natural selection and simply encouraging complacency.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6576|Texas - Bigger than France
Raising the minimum wage increases the number of illegal immigrants that do not pay income tax.  These immigrants are not funding the support structure for the US, so the federal programs that are in place which provide services to the entire society which also support nationalized and illegals will need to have more funds, funds which will need to come from taxpayers.

Next, minimum wage jobs are usually reserved for the elderly and the very young.  There also are plently of labor or clerical jobs which pay well above the minimum wage level which people can work without earning minimum wage.

So although it looks like raising the minimum wage will pay more to the destitute, it will result in an increase in immigration, operating costs of a company, increase illegal hiring thereby decreasing the number of jobs which will reduce the amounts paid to federal tax and social security (possibly), increase inflation, and reduce the number of businesses.

However, the minimum wage should be periodically adjusted for inflation, and adjusted gradually.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6480|The Land of Scott Walker
Minimum wage is low for a reason: to give us an incentive to work harder to get a raise or a better job!  That's what it did for me!  I worked hard for a year in my first job on minimum, asked my boss for a raise and got it.  From the start of my career 7 years ago I've doubled my income.  Hopefully I can do the same or better in a shorter period of time.  How?  Hard work.  That's the American way.  We do it for ourselves, instead of putting our hand out to the government to raise our wages.  Raising minimum wage drastically would not help workers at all because the end result would be fewer entry level jobs because businesses would cut back the number of employees related to the increase.  That's my 2 cents.
AlbertWesker[RE]
Not Human Anymore
+144|6678|Seattle, WA

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

UK minimum wage converts to $10.18, so its perfectly fair specially as your economy is much bigger.
No, it would make sense for a smaller economy not a larger one, because if the min wage is HIGHER than that menas there are more workers, which mean there are more companies that have to pay a lot more money, which means they have to increase the price for EVERYTHING they sell, which means higher taxes, which means more spending.

Democrats have like this fanatic fantasy of a HIGH minimum wage.  OMFG If you're working min wage your either in school or are not doing enough with your life (if you think you are, than don't complain about min wage).  I agree in some parts of the country it is TOO LOW, but you can't just make that nat'l avg $10/hr, without recognizing differences of Cost of living.  This type of thinking that raising the minimum wage is a quick fix with NO REPRECUSSIONS to delivery, and consumer cost is the type of DANGERUOS financial thinking usually engaged by the left.  You guys really need to calm down with the minimum wage.  It needs to be raised progressively, not jacked up like crazy.  Otherwise watch for more taxes, higher costs for many everyday products, etc.
AlbertWesker[RE]
Not Human Anymore
+144|6678|Seattle, WA

Stingray24 wrote:

Minimum wage is low for a reason: to give us an incentive to work harder to get a raise or a better job!  That's what it did for me!  I worked hard for a year in my first job on minimum, asked my boss for a raise and got it.  From the start of my career 7 years ago I've doubled my income.  Hopefully I can do the same or better in a shorter period of time.  How?  Hard work.  That's the American way.  We do it for ourselves, instead of putting our hand out to the government to raise our wages.  Raising minimum wage drastically would not help workers at all because the end result would be fewer entry level jobs because businesses would cut back the number of employees related to the increase.  That's my 2 cents.
Well holy crap, you people should really pay attention to this, because this is SOLUTION right here, you can't RELY ON THE GOVERNMENT to pay you more money.  You have to rely on YOURSELF.  Amazing idea isn't it.  I love you how Democrats just WANT THE GOVERNMENT to help you pay for just about everything.  Big spending is a problem, and needs to be controlled, raising the minimum wage will not help.  Raising it slightly on par with cost of living WILL help.

I'm 20 years old, going to school FULL TIME, working almost FULL time, assistant coach for a Div II basketball team, and manage to play some video games here and there, I live on my own, and have no problem renting a $1100 a month apartment, because I bust my ass at work where I get paid $10.75/hr.  There are SO many jobs at there ABOVE minimum wage it is ridicolous.  Some people are just too lazy and want the government to help them.

Last edited by AlbertWesker[RE] (2006-11-09 06:55:22)

kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
you know what i did when i was a teenager and was making min wage?

I'll let you guess, multiple choice:
A) I whined about it and campaigned for it to be raised so i could buy more pot without working any harder
B) I got a second job

kr@cker <3 albert
Jenkinsbball
Banned
+149|6583|USA bitches!
It's impossible to live on $5.15/hr today. Did you guys ever see that episode of 30 Days where he worked for minimum wage? He had to have 2 jobs, worked like 12 days and got like $60 bucks or something after taxes, after all that hard work. He and his wife got sick and at the end of the month, they were in debt to the hospital for like $500.

Minimum wage as it stands is isn't cutting it. It's been like, what?, 8-10 years that this amount has been in place, and in that time gas has tripled in price per gallon, as well as basically everything else rising due to inflation.

It's all a politicians game. They're the ones to blame.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
so learn a skill worth more than 5.15, what's so hard to understand about min wage not being meant to live off of, flopping whoppers isn't worth 10, 9, 8, 7, or 6 dollars no matter how old you are.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6480|The Land of Scott Walker

Jenkinsbball wrote:

It's impossible to live on $5.15/hr today. Did you guys ever see that episode of 30 Days where he worked for minimum wage? He had to have 2 jobs, worked like 12 days and got like $60 bucks or something after taxes, after all that hard work. He and his wife got sick and at the end of the month, they were in debt to the hospital for like $500.

Minimum wage as it stands is isn't cutting it. It's been like, what?, 8-10 years that this amount has been in place, and in that time gas has tripled in price per gallon, as well as basically everything else rising due to inflation.

It's all a politicians game. They're the ones to blame.
Not impossible to live on because the minimum wage is for people who aren't paying many bills - teenagers and some early 20s.  I had to pay gas and insurance for my car and that was it out of my minimum wage job at 16.  Saved the rest since my parents were paying the rent, food, utilities, vehicle maintenance.  If someone is still earning minimum wage as an adult, that's their fault. 

Go find a real job or get a 3rd minimum wage job.  Work at a lumber yard hauling wood like a pack mule and earn much more than minimum wage, but it's a requirement to work hard and at the end of the day the ol' back will be sore.  Or do like I did when I was tired of barely above minimum wage, got a job at a grinding shop and about worked myself to death earning $10/hr.  Loved it.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6576|Texas - Bigger than France
What is weird is people bitch about the minimum wage being so low ($5.15 in Texas) but they are unable to try to work unskilled jobs, jobs that pay more than $5.15/hr, like: Temp agency will pay $8/hr min in our town, construction sites at $15/hr, landscapers at $12/hr, and roofers make about $25/hr.  Hell, Walmart greeters get like $8/hr.

Raising the minimum wage doesn't accomplish what you think it does.  It means the above wages are increased - increasing the cost of living.  Or it means the above jobs go to illegals - meaning more taxes for the rest of us because less people are paying taxes.

Last edited by Pug (2006-11-09 07:31:08)

jarhedch
+12|6704|Aberdeen, Uk, SF Bay Area 1st

Bertster7 wrote:

dubbs wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

I think it's about that in the UK.

£5.35/hour = $10.19

The UK economy isn't slowly dying. In fact it's been performing rather well, for rather a long time.
That may be true, but you did not get to $10.19 an hour over night.  The UK had to slowly get to that level.  You can not go from $5.15 to $10 over night and not expect the economy to take an impact.  There are some cities or states that will not be effected by the change that much, but the over all economy will be effected since about most of the cities/states have a minimum wage well under the $10 per hour mark.  Most of them are in between $5.15 to $7.25  According to the link, only one city has a minimum wage higher then $10 per hour, and that would be LA.  This is also a city where the cost of living is one of the higher places in the US.
Not that long. 1999 was when the UK started having any minimum wage. The economy didn't falter when a minimum wage was introduced or when they have been increased.
Thing is, though, that it's not equal. People under 18 can be paid less than minimum wage and it's leagl, and if they're apprentices then they aren't paid minimum either. We have 4 apprentices at our shop, and none of them are at minimum yet, wheres in the states, minimum applies to pretty much everyone.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard