p3lvicthrust
Banned
+16|6415
Alright I turned my computer on, windows was booting up annd I get this message before my Accounts login screen, that CHKDSK is checking for consistancy, it took 3steps for it to 'scan' or do whatever it did.

whats the deal here, is my harddrive going bad? and is there anything I can do? I didnt get any error messages, after "CHKDSK" was complete it rebooted, loaded without any problems, any help/info is appreciated. (I hate going to "Help and Support" for windows in the control panel, I NEVER find what Im looking for!)

Western Digital 7200RPM 250GB 3.0mbps 16MB of Cache...I think thats the value for the Cache anyway.

BTW I ran the Defragmenter, analyzed it and it said I didnt need to defrag the volume, I saw only a couple specs of fragmented sections...

anyone?

Last edited by p3lvicthrust (2006-11-08 12:39:21)

misconfiguration
GURU
+86|6409|Indianapolis, IN
Have you rebooted again, if so; did you get chkdsk again? If not it was probably just a scheduled check, Linux will check every 60 days or so sometimes after about 100 boots, depends on user settings.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6610|Seattle

Did it find any errors?

Run it again (this time on purpose)

Go to Start-->Run Type cmd and press enter.
Then type chkdsk c: /f and hit enter again. It should prompt you to schedule a scan for next reboot. Say yes.

Watch it this time and see if it finds errors.

Last edited by King_County_Downy (2006-11-08 12:51:58)

Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
lehter
+4|6461
Windows doesn't have scheduled scans like that like Linux has.

The reason could be as simple as a unclean windows shutdown (e.g. crash, cold reboot), which may result in chkdsk kicking in.

P3lvicthrust, is your PC a recent one? Is the HD an IDE or a SATA disk? Whats the motherboard, and its chipset?

If you've SATA and nForce4 chipset in your mobo, that may also be the problem. That combination may cause data corruption, if you're using the nVidia chipset drivers. Use Windows' own drivers instead.
p3lvicthrust
Banned
+16|6415
PC is 2 years old, but I got this Hard drive earlier this year (mid summer) the hard drive is SATA, I got a Intel975p mobo I think, I forgot a program I had that could Identify every piece of hardware that was in my system...I dont have any nForce anything, ATi and Intel is what I have..well I guess its just something that happens to my hard drives, Ive had 3 hard drives crash on me so far since ive gotten this computer dec.04, but Im good til 2008 when my warranty expires

Last edited by p3lvicthrust (2006-11-08 13:08:38)

King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6610|Seattle

Or just ignore me
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
p3lvicthrust
Banned
+16|6415
I didnt get ANY errors after it scanned so...must be alright? I will run the thing again then...we'll see what it does..........keep ya posted

WELL I ran RUN opened the COmmand and prompt, typed what you instructed and I typed Y for yes...rebooted my comp and it didnt run lol

so much for that idea but thanks anyway

Last edited by p3lvicthrust (2006-11-08 14:54:23)

*RIP*gonzo21
+11|6537|Texas
The most common reason for chkdsk to kick in, is from inproper shutdown. Usually my kids do this on their computer. When they go and hit the power button to turn the computer off. So I have set it to where you can not turn the system off by pressing the power button. start>control panel>power options>power button> and then set it to 'do nothing' when power button is pressed.
Hope this helps.
p3lvicthrust
Banned
+16|6415
ahhhh I hate it when stupid idiots do that lol

well my comp seems to be running fine and in "normal" condition so I guess its gonna be okay....its gonna be okay then BLEH hard drive crash! lol its okay tho, I keep getting free hard drives anyway as part of my warranty, the last hard drive they sent me was 250GB...my original system HD was 160 lol...idiots, who knows maybe I'll get 300Gb HD this time
Mad Ad
+178|6524|England, UK
chkdsk = the scan of doom!

have a search on your pc for a folder called found.000 and you can see inside it what, if anything, has been corrupted and removed to this folder. You may find it useful to reinstal any application that you find files for in it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard