Squall Leonhart
+0|6751
So, i just bought a geforce 7800, but the minimum power requirement is 450W, but heres the thing, my dell (Yes, i know, silly me, lets not dell-bash) only has a 305w psu in it, with very little chance of an upgrade from dell, seeing how i cant seem to find power supplies on dells website......

I bought a 550w power supply from maplin, installed it fine, plugged the power lead into the PSU and every fan on the pc started to go at full speed....and this even in an off state.
So, i turns the computer on, all the fans slow down to their normal speed and computer operates normally, after searching through most support forums i could find, couldnt find any solution, so took it out and replaced it with the 305...just a heads up for those of you interested, the PSU i installed was a Q-TEC 550w Dual Fan, 24P... Any advice anybody could give would be handy to try and get this working before taking it back... But in the event of no solutions before return,

Anybody in the UK know of a 550-600W PSU, preferably respectively cheap (Under £50) that will go into a dell computer without too much hassle or any weirdo problems....

Thanks...
psychotoxic187
+11|6680
The problem with Dell, is that they use proprietary motherboards and power supplies. I'm not positive if they do it anymore, but they use to wire the outputs differently than standard atx. if you look at wiring diagrams for your PC, you'll probably find that 1 or 2 of the wires are different than the standard PSU you have. IE: it will say +5v on your Dell, and -5v on the standard PSU.
Maj.Do
+85|6723|good old CA
well i have a backup dell 8400.  i installed(upside down and its worked for 5 months) a BFG 550 watts
psychotoxic187
+11|6680
Well I've heard some models they don't do it on. I've called Dell before and they will not give you straight answer, as to if it's proprietary or not. They will try and sell you a new PSU instead. Look at diagrams first, then make your decision.
Lt.Maverick|Lw|
youve now just been Pwned by the Mavster
+-1|6695
dell=devious money grabbing bastards with no clue and all built in india by same knum knuts they get to answer your call(who have no it knowledge whatsoever and try to sell you stuff you dont need)......
although im sensible and have never bought from them,however ive worked for companys who have and have had friends daft enough not to heed my advice.

my advise is sell your dell to some unsuspecting fool and build your own pc,its easy,even i can do it
MrSuave
+0|6793
http://www.computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=10764  PSU 101...has lots of info on PSU's and good recomendations....also note that its not all about the Wattage but how many amps on the rails......

hmm.... you could get a fan controller
psychotoxic187
+11|6680
We aren't discussing what makes a good PSU. The discussion is about if his Dell uses a proprietary PSU.
Seth Infinite
+3|6710|Houston, The Republic of Texas
I don't think it's a proprietary PSU but it is the latest standard. When I upgraded the PSU on my Dell 5100 I had to go back and buy one new connector. Fortunately the PSU manufacturer had a cable available. IIRC it was a 22 pin where mine was a 20 pin.
psychotoxic187
+11|6680
You mean 24 pin? Anyways, from the sound of it, something is cross wired. That's why I mentioned it. I'm sure he would of noticed if 1 is 20 pin and the other is 24. There are basically 2 PSU connector types, 20 pin and 24 pin. Some of the new PSU's will work on both motherboards.
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6814|Waikato, Aotearoa

Lt.Maverick|Lw| wrote:

dell=devious money grabbing bastards with no clue and all built in india by same knum knuts they get to answer your call(who have no it knowledge whatsoever and try to sell you stuff you dont need)......
although im sensible and have never bought from them,however ive worked for companys who have and have had friends daft enough not to heed my advice.

my advise is sell your dell to some unsuspecting fool and build your own pc,its easy,even i can do it
I am going to have to agree with Maverick. Fob your Dell off to some poor fool/soul, and buy your own PC.
In future avoid Dell like a bad day in Baghdad.

Not that there is anything wrong with Dell (and there isnt), but Dell are targeted at the big Corporations and
Govt depts, not for home end users/gamers, mainly for this very reason. Dell WILL upgrade (but only if you lease it - and only then after 3-4 years).

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard