JaggedPanther
+61|6484
So there is no enemy jets in the air but the chopper is pounding your allies.

How do you shoot down choppers effectively in a jet? I use canon's but don't have the 'sniper like' aiming like some other pilots yet.  The missles always fly by.

I tried attacking upside down (since missles look like they leave the jet from above) but this didn't help much.

Any pointers?

If I'm out of Karma; I'll give you a cookie.
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
+83|6705|Vancouver BC Canada
Get a joystick, it will help your aim...

Also, for missiles, use a knife edge approach, flip the jet on its side as you pass the chopper (very close) and let a missile go, works sometimes. When you want to hit them with the cannon be sure to be in bombing mode so they don't have any warning.

Practice Practice Paractice
loonitic
...is a potty mouth
+286|6545|Valhalla

JaggedPanther wrote:

I tried attacking upside down
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6742|St. Andrews / Oslo

Use the machine guns
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
CommandoRog
+10|6694|USA
Sounds like you need to work on your Deflection shooting.
I never use Rocks on choppers.
I want the chopper pilot going down in flames before he even notices im there.(NO BEEP BEEP OF MISSILE LOCK).
Keep practiceing and you get the hang of it.
MastersMom
YOUR mom goes to college
+61|6666
Line up as far away as possible with weapons set to bomb as to not give yourself away with tone.  Slow down as much as possible without falling out of the sky.  If MG isn't going to do it, switch over to missles, get lock.  They'll pop chaff/flare, and here's the tricky part.  Your missles fire one side than the other.  The first missle you fire should come from your left wing (assuming you're fully loaded).  Next missel from your right wing, then left again, etc.  So (again, assuming you're fully armed) start your approach at low speed on bombs, and hit 'em with mg's.  As you close, swith to missles with enough time to get tone.  Line yourself up to pass just barely to the right of the chopper (meaning you should try and line up your left wing with the chopper.  Release the missles right before you pass.  Basically what this is doing is ensuring the closest heat source for your missle to lock onto is the chopper.  And it doesn't really give enough space or time for the missle to change course.

I personally usually use mg all the way, but if i'm off and i know soon enough, I'll switch to missles and finish them off with one missle.  However, I give fair warning that due to the proximity to the chopper during this manouver, it's not uncommon for the chopper to try to evade and pull themselves right in front of your jet at the last minute causing you to "ram" the chopper.

Hope this helps.
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
+83|6705|Vancouver BC Canada

CommandoRog wrote:

I want the chopper pilot going down in flames before he even notices im there.(NO BEEP BEEP OF MISSILE LOCK).
I find that Rocks dont work very well too...Can't throw em hard enough.
Jenspm
penis

CommandoRog wrote:

wow, GG!
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
david363
Crotch fires and you: the untold story
+314|6749|Comber, Northern Ireland
just slow down and use the mg's .....works everytime
MastersMom
YOUR mom goes to college
+61|6666
YEAH!!!  THREAD DERAILED!!!!!!!!!

This one time I was in a tank and a chopper was lining me up for a tv shot.  I jumped out right before my tank got hit, scampered behind some cover and sniped the pilot out of the cockpit with a handful of rocks.  I threw some more rocks as the chopper was going down and got credit for the gunner too!!!!!!!  TOTALLY PWNEDOMGZOGZHAXORZ!!!!11one!!!11!!1!!!lollerskateslmfaorotfl
LostFate
Same shit, Different Arsehole
+95|6496|England
Just practice dude, its all about the practice!
E7IX3R
is drunk and crazy
+216|6698|UK

MastersMom wrote:

Slow down as much as possible without falling out of the sky.
WRONG. Do not slow down. A good chopper team will easily shoot you down with the TV missile, the amount of noobs that do this is insane, I've show down loads of jets that have slowed right down to kill me.

The best way to do it is to scout your target, then fly away from him to get a good amount of time when turning back around to attack. If your target is flying straight, lead the target slightly, as you would if you were a sniper aiming for a running target.

The most effective place to shoot is just under the rotor blades and the cockpit (you can often shoot out the gunner or the pilot). If you've given yourself enough time to inflict damage, you should kill your target on your first pass.

I only ever use missiles if I know theyve already dropped flares (from being locked from something else maybe) and then they're just sitting ducks.
Spiers.ckz
+10|6539

david363 wrote:

never slow down !!! it leaves you wide open for a TV shot if the pilot/gunner is half decent, not to mention enemy jets. Just line up from a distance and dont forget that if the heli is moving make sure that you aim a bit in front of its path.
E7IX3R
is drunk and crazy
+216|6698|UK

Spiers.ckz wrote:

david363 wrote:

never slow down !!! it leaves you wide open for a TV shot if the pilot/gunner is half decent, not to mention enemy jets. Just line up from a distance and dont forget that if the heli is moving make sure that you aim a bit in front of its path.
Thats what I just said in my post above you...
MastersMom
YOUR mom goes to college
+61|6666

E7IX3R wrote:

MastersMom wrote:

Slow down as much as possible without falling out of the sky.
WRONG. Do not slow down. A good chopper team will easily shoot you down with the TV missile, the amount of noobs that do this is insane, I've show down loads of jets that have slowed right down to kill me.
Sorry, I should have specified to come at them from the side.  For two reasons, one which is stated above...very embarrassing for a jet to get taken out by a chopper.  Second reason is that it's a bigger target then coming at them head on.
Jenkinsbball
Banned
+149|6558|USA bitches!
People say get a jet to aim better. I say, get a shitty mouse. My mouse's right click button broke on me from playing BF2 so much, I had to use a crappy one that came w/ my computer. Now, I can actually fly the jet and line up targets. I use the missile lock to locate and track them, but use the minigun to take them down. If they don't drop flares, then I fire missiles. Check out my vid below, I actually get some kills in a J10, and I never fly jets.
drake666
when Hell is full...
+184|6720|austria
jetpilots only get me down in my chopper when they fly slow and without AA mode!
like a few above me said, get into bombmode and use ur cannon! aim for the cockpit!!
https://team-ex.de/imagehosting/daten/1323768139_m98b.png
Usque Ad Finem
jetfans
+2|6395
try to shoot missiles to those un-manned  choppers on the carrier, after a period,you'll never need to lock on them and hit them with missiles.
Jenspm
penis

MastersMom wrote:

YEAH!!!  THREAD DERAILED!!!!!!!!!

This one time I was in a tank and a chopper was lining me up for a tv shot.  I jumped out right before my tank got hit, scampered behind some cover and sniped the pilot out of the cockpit with a handful of rocks.  I threw some more rocks as the chopper was going down and got credit for the gunner too!!!!!!!  TOTALLY PWNEDOMGZOGZHAXORZ!!!!11one!!!11!!1!!!lollerskateslmfaorotfl
lies...
jkohlc
2142th Whore
+214|6537|Singapore
ram the chopper
oChaos.Haze
+90|6448
Some people have said it, but for real DO NOT SLOW DOWN, and AIM FOR THE COCKPIT.  If you aim for the cockpit, by leading the chopper with mg's about 5 feet infront, they can go down in about 1.5seconds of fire.  Easy as pie.  Once I learned the cockpit, I basically foam at the mouth when I see a chopper, and I'm in a jet.
Hyper
Banned
+154|6761

the_outsider38 wrote:

Get a joystick, it will help your aim...

Also, for missiles, use a knife edge approach, flip the jet on its side as you pass the chopper (very close) and let a missile go, works sometimes. When you want to hit them with the cannon be sure to be in bombing mode so they don't have any warning.

Practice Practice Paractice
all you joystick nubbies
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6504|N. Ireland
Use your MGs and only fire missiles when you are really close - I find doing a barrel roll to avoid the chopper, and fire a missile just as you come on out. That way, even if the missile doesn't heatseek on, it should still hit him.
masterofflama
+19|6595|European Battlefield Command
bombs ftw!
drop your bombs on the chopper - instant kill
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6692|Disaster Free Zone

CommandoRog wrote:

Hmm what Id give for a decent graphics card (well not much actually). I have to missiles lock because I can't see the choppers until I'm way to close to aim (got no joystick either). So I aim at the missile lock boxes not at the choppers, It usually takes me 3 or 4 passes to kill the damn things as I see them late, I can't do precise aiming very well using the keyboard and they know Im comming so try to evade (some of the time).

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard