IRONCHEF
+385|6510|Northern California

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

IRONCHEF wrote:

I used to hate all protestors too.  Then I've noticed that some of them have good cause...but I had to pull my head out of my ass to see that.  maybe you need to do that too GS.

And no, there's no direct difference to me or my life because of the iraq war.  But you know what, I and millions of other protestors around the world aren't selfish and can actually have compassion towards others.  And on that note, the country I love and the country I belong to is killing, destroying, and causing greater danger to me, my country, and my countrymen because of this war on iraq.

But again,  you won't see that if you don't take your head from your ass.  But I encourage you to try it.
lol good answer I guess, but how exactly is my head up my ass?
The metaphor for having one's head up their ass denotes someone who is not likely to take note of anything other than themselves.  Selfishness or lack of consideration for others is a close second to that metaphor.

And before I gave a shit about 'them damned a-rab animals killing each other' i was all gung ho for killing others to get what we wanted.  One could say I was a rebulican-minded warmongering chicken hawk.  But as I matured, travelled outside this country, met interesting people from far away lands..and watched movies and TV more, I understood that people at the end of my tax-financed bullets, bombs, and beatings were regular people like you and me.  Sure they speak different languages, dress different, and have a totally different culture..but they're actual people.  People who have value, worth, happiness, sadness, family members they love, family members they argue with during family gatherings....all, just like you and me.  What have they done to deserve our force-fed brutality in the name of spreading democracy and freedom?  Nothing..nothing but have the poor luck of having an evil dictator who our president felt like bullying around because he's too much of a coward to prioritize his axis of evil based on threat....N Korea.

And as honest as I can say this, I do mourn the loss of life being lost there.  I also mourn the loss of those poor kids who come home to their families after their stop-lossed tours and watch their lives crumble and break down.  And I'll be sad when i start seeing more of these young war vets on freeway offramps with signs begging for money or food.  I'll wonder where all the "support our troops" magnets have gone and the compassion with them.  I have been mildly depressed over the last few years because of Bush and the torment he's done to this world.

Oh, one more thing about protesters....they are the salt of this country.  If it weren't for them, and the inspiration they leave on complacent citizens, the lesson of free speech and patriotism would surely be lost.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6663

R3v0LuT!oN wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Why protest the war in Iraq. Human beings are selfish animals by nature and NOBODY has lost a cunt hairs worth of their quality of life since 2003.  why do i see a bunch of kids waving their signs  in front of recruiting stations and doing protest walks blocking traffic.  I have more respect for the insurgent that detonates an IED than for all these new wannabe hippies.  I have an open mind though, so I wonder.  If you have felt the need to protest the war in Iraq, why?  I understand that there are sincere people out there against the war, but I think thats the minority.  Th majority of people I have come across that have participated in these types of events are for the most part ill inform and ignorant of the actual goings on of the war.  They base all their opinions on totally biased and inaccurate media sources.  it seriously makes me fucking sick.  I think its abunch of bored shit heads who wanna feel like they are a part of a new generation of hippies.  they dont really feel strong against the war, just rage against the machine if you will.

seriously the only people effected by this war in an adverse way are the citizens of Iraq and the soldiers/sailors/airmen/marines of our armed forces.  no draft.  no rationing. no black outs.  GET REAL FUCKOS!

heres your oppurtunity to change my mind about all the anti war sentiment.
I think you make a lot of unfair generalizations.  Sure there are a lot of people who are just anti-war because it's fashionable and not because they're informed.  There are just as many people (in fact, probably more) in this country who SUPPORT the war for even sketchier reasons.  I mean FFS how many people are there in this country who still believe Saddam Hussein had something to do with 9/11?  Or that we actually found the WMDs?

Also, what makes you so certain that the sources YOU get your information from aren't biased and inaccurate?  Which sources ARE FREE of biases and innaccuracies?  Can you name any?

My problem with the war in Iraq, besides the obvious loss of life on both sides (which I think should matter a great deal to any decent human being) is the fact that we're only furthering the hatred felt by Middle-Easterners toward the United States.  This hatred can and most likely will lead to more terrorists, and hence, more terrorist attacks, which is SUPPOSED to be what we're trying to prevent by intervening in the Middle-East in the first place.
fair enough and a pretty decent response.  True, I am making unfair generalizations, but you know what? I was shocked to see what young people are being fed at home.  city college is full of a lot of stupid people who think they know whats going on in the world and they really dont.  Im talking ofcourse about the people i see in my day to day life (and on this forum as well).

my sources:

left eye
right eye
left ear
right ear
both nostrils
GetSplit
+3|6425|Bloomington, IL
I think the reason the economy is "good" when a Dem is in office, is because the republican before him puts things into action to fix the economy, and the results are not felt for a while.  So then people hate republicans for a shitty economy, and making them "take their medicine" and elect a Dem.  By that time, the republicans actions are beginning to take effect, and the economy increases.   Then the Dem, gets to reap the benefits, and destroy the economy for the next republican to come and fix.

But that weird theory just stems from an economics class I took where the prof. said "Sometimes politicians have to do things that people will like, such as raise minimum wage, eventhough its bad for the economy, and sometimes politicians have to do things people will hate, but is good for the economy."

I just took that idea coupled with the fact it takes forever for the gov't to do anything, and when they do something it takes awhile for the effects to be felt.
GetSplit
+3|6425|Bloomington, IL

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

GetSplit wrote:

well since ur so unselfish, how bout letting me borrow money to pay rent, and get a new car and pay my school loans.  No?  Well fuck you.  People worry too much about other countries suffering, we have plenty of poverty, crime, drugs and violence here on our own soil. I think Dog the bounty hunter is the only one doing anything about it.

we should fix our problems here before bitching about other peoples problems.  So I say fuck other people, I have to worry about MYSELF first, not people in other countries.  The game I'm playing is called life, if I sacrificed everything for everyone else, i'd be a monk or a saint or some shit.

No thanks.

Long story short, in my world, I'm more important than anyone and everyone.  Other than my friends and family, I could give a fuck if a stranger lives or dies, let alone a fuzzy little foreigner.
so, umm, why protest.  your reply has nothing to do with the OP.  have a super day

and fuck you right back
that post was for ironchef, i'm on ur side....fucker lol
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6663

IRONCHEF wrote:

Oh, one more thing about protesters....they are the salt of this country.  If it weren't for them, and the inspiration they leave on complacent citizens, the lesson of free speech and patriotism would surely be lost.
i see what your saying and I pretty much agree except for that last part.  you have to admit that is your opinion as well as my disagreeing with it is mine.  I find the average anti war protester to be an air head, willing to believe the first thing they hear and see and follow the crowd.  CODEPINK right?
R3v0LuT!oN
+22|6685|United States

GetSplit wrote:

I think the reason the economy is "good" when a Dem is in office, is because the republican before him puts things into action to fix the economy, and the results are not felt for a while.  So then people hate republicans for a shitty economy, and making them "take their medicine" and elect a Dem.  By that time, the republicans actions are beginning to take effect, and the economy increases.   Then the Dem, gets to reap the benefits, and destroy the economy for the next republican to come and fix.

But that weird theory just stems from an economics class I took where the prof. said "Sometimes politicians have to do things that people will like, such as raise minimum wage, eventhough its bad for the economy, and sometimes politicians have to do things people will hate, but is good for the economy."

I just took that idea coupled with the fact it takes forever for the gov't to do anything, and when they do something it takes awhile for the effects to be felt.
So with that logic, explain to me how current Republican policies (i.e. billions spent on the Iraq War and billions squandered on tax cuts for the wealthy) are supposed to secure a brighter economic future for us all?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6663

GetSplit wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

GetSplit wrote:

well since ur so unselfish, how bout letting me borrow money to pay rent, and get a new car and pay my school loans.  No?  Well fuck you.  People worry too much about other countries suffering, we have plenty of poverty, crime, drugs and violence here on our own soil. I think Dog the bounty hunter is the only one doing anything about it.

we should fix our problems here before bitching about other peoples problems.  So I say fuck other people, I have to worry about MYSELF first, not people in other countries.  The game I'm playing is called life, if I sacrificed everything for everyone else, i'd be a monk or a saint or some shit.

No thanks.

Long story short, in my world, I'm more important than anyone and everyone.  Other than my friends and family, I could give a fuck if a stranger lives or dies, let alone a fuzzy little foreigner.
so, umm, why protest.  your reply has nothing to do with the OP.  have a super day

and fuck you right back
https://img78.exs.cx/img78/4558/egg20on20face.jpg

my bad dude. im an asshole.
IRONCHEF

GetSplit wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

GetSplit wrote:

No thanks.

and fuck you right back
I haven't discounted the obvious care we have not given to our own suffering by mentioning how I care for others, so why would you think that I don't care about our own impoverished?

Your attitude speaks for itself.  Your argument does nothing to counter mine.  Sorry you're so set on yourself.  You'll truly have a happy life, I'm sure.
commissargizz
+123|6483| Heaven
My thoughts....If you do not fight for what you believe in, your enemy will win...so if someone protests they are fighting their corner good on them I would rather shout from the roof top than do nothing in front of my TV....Iraq is not a terror base...Afghanistan is or was. There are worse dictators out there why are we not doing something about them. N.Korea  ooppsss no oil...China (remember these are threatening one of the US closest allies in the Far East (Taiwan) damn they just might kick our arse (sorry I'm English and this how we spell ass. ass is a donkey). And why is it politicians who declares wars never fight in them. Let them kill each other...why should the basic soldier dies in what is a rich mans war....Kill the rich save the world..
IRONCHEF

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

IRONCHEF wrote:

i see what your saying and I pretty much agree except for that last part.  you have to admit that is your opinion as well as my disagreeing with it is mine.  I find the average anti war protester to be an air head, willing to believe the first thing they hear and see and follow the crowd.  CODEPINK right?
Oh, don't get me wrong.  I see the same ass-backwards, overly enraged protesting clown doing it just to be a protester.  Some of these types include feminists, gay rights, anti-gay rights, and other less important groups (peta, etc).  There are protesters that do need a wake up call and there are protesters doing the exact thing our founding fore fathers would want them to do.  I, of course, support that latter.

I wish i didn't have a family sometimes so I could take the risk of voicing my dissent for this government...and eventually, if it got bad enough here, I would even risk the danger to them by doing so.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6663
https://okimc.org/photos/albums/userpics/10002/20050319rally~0.jpg

yeah, the salt of the country.  see how stressfull this whole war in iraq is on our protesters

makes me want to vomit.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2006-11-02 10:29:11)

R3v0LuT!oN
+22|6685|United States

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

http://okimc.org/photos/albums/userpics … ally~0.jpg

yeah, the salt of the country.  see how stressfull this whole war in iraq is on our protesters

makes me want to vomit.
What exactly is it about that woman's exercising of her First Amendment rights that makes you want to vomit?  If you don't believe in these freedoms for every American, then you don't believe in them at all, my friend.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6663

IRONCHEF wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

IRONCHEF wrote:

Oh, don't get me wrong.  I see the same ass-backwards, overly enraged protesting clown doing it just to be a protester.  Some of these types include feminists, gay rights, anti-gay rights, and other less important groups (peta, etc).  There are protesters that do need a wake up call and there are protesters doing the exact thing our founding fore fathers would want them to do.  I, of course, support that latter.

I wish i didn't have a family sometimes so I could take the risk of voicing my dissent for this government...and eventually, if it got bad enough here, I would even risk the danger to them by doing so.
thats my exact point.  where you see them being the minority of dissent, i see them being the majority of the protesting public.  people that are bored and want to make their voice heard for sake of just having their voice heard, not for sending an important message.  it takes a lot from to stay quit and just agree to avoid a confrontation coming from my side when some dipshit tries to give me the straight dope on Iraq.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6663

R3v0LuT!oN wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

makes me want to vomit.
What exactly is it about that woman's exercising of her First Amendment rights that makes you want to vomit?  If you don't believe in these freedoms for every American, then you don't believe in them at all, my friend.
no no no.  the constitution is my bible.  what I have an issue with is this:

shes sabotaging the seriousness of her dissent as well as pooping on the memories of soldiers that have already died (in my opinion).  holy fuck, shes protesting her anger towards the government or particpating a costume party.  how the fuck can i take vermin like this seriously for their beliefs when all i see at a protest is a bunch of people having GREAT time.  correct me if Im wrong but shouldnt dissent be something one takes serious if one is sincere.  how the fuck could some hold a sign that says 3000 dead troops or whatever and smiling and joking at the same time.  to me it seems like these bastards are using the lives of Iraqis and GI's to keep the good times rolling

im just asking why people protest.  1st amendment all the way

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2006-11-02 10:37:44)

GetSplit
+3|6425|Bloomington, IL

R3v0LuT!oN wrote:

GetSplit wrote:

So with that logic, explain to me how current Republican policies (i.e. billions spent on the Iraq War and billions squandered on tax cuts for the wealthy) are supposed to secure a brighter economic future for us all?
well that one's easy!  er ... um.... yea i dunno, lol  gotta spend money to make money?  Yea they fucked up that crackpot theory

edit:  yes i do have a happy life, I got a hot gf that I'm going to probably marry, just got a new job, and am starting the "american life'.  House, wife, 2.5 kids, and a dog.  All of which would not be possible if we didn't bomb foreigners lol...ok i made that part up just to be an ass, its  what i gotta do

Last edited by GetSplit (2006-11-02 10:37:56)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6574
Some points regarding myself:

1) I do not take part in futile demonstrations protesting anything. They are largely pointless. Spending half an hour explaining your viewpoint to one person who doesn't share your view is worth a million hours of protesting.

2) I take on board all viewpoints. I think we're very lucky to have GS on this forum who can give us and has given us valuable insights into what has gone on and what is going on in Iraq.

3) My guess at why Americans are protesting is that they don't want to see their brethren killed engaged in what they see as a futile war initiated on falsehoods. That is noble enough. They may also take issue with their tax money being funnelled into said futile exercise. I'm sure there are a lot of bandwagon know-nothings though, don't get me wrong.

4) Most Europeans are of like mind when it comes to Iraq so the only time I come across opinions opposed to mine are on this forum. I feel strongly about all sorts of issues, even if i haven't 'lost a cunt's hair' as a consquence of events. We are all living in a global village here. We in the west get tarred with the one brush also. The actions of the USA and UK reflect badly on all of us westerners when we visit the rest of the world. That irks me as one of my primary loves in life is to travel. It is a bad day now that I have to explain to people that 'No, I'm not American' or 'No, I'm not British' to avoid being insulted or experiencing unfriendliness and general frostiness. I'm just thankful Ireland has such a good reputation across the entire globe.

5) One thing that drives my interest in conflicts in the middle east are the parallels that can be drawn between the history of Ireland and what is going on today and the empathy that results from that. I won't apologise for being vocal about issues in the middle east when it stirs deap-seated emotions in me even though I am not directly impacted upon by said issues.

6) When the US broke its traditional policy of not pre-emptively striking a target alarm bells rang in my head. Nothing is certain anymore. When the worlds most well armed nation can call any country a target or act unilaterally in what is, as I said, a global village - the effects are felt by us all, not just those in the region receiving the pounding or about to receive a pounding. We are all on edge.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-11-02 10:36:28)

Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6665|Peoria

Masterstyle wrote:

United States, you want to sit around worried waiting for the next terror attack? or make sure it doesnt happen again by getting rid of terrorism so it never happens again?
Dude, you can't get rid of terrorism. Terrorism is an strategy.

I'm opposed to the cost of the war, its way too damn expensive.
R3v0LuT!oN
+22|6685|United States

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

thats my exact point.  where you see them being the minority of dissent, i see them being the majority of the protesting public.  people that are bored and want to make their voice heard for sake of just having their voice heard, not for sending an important message.  it takes a lot from to stay quit and just agree to avoid a confrontation coming from my side when some dipshit tries to give me the straight dope on Iraq.
Is that an observation based on facts, or just personal experience?  Because all of the people I know who protest are very well educated, informed people, who also have respectable day jobs.  Would it be fair for me to say that ALL protesters are equally educated and informed, just because the ones I've encountered are?  Of course not.  The same applies to your sweeping generalization.
misconfiguration
GURU
+86|6415|Indianapolis, IN

GetSplit wrote:

Keep listening to the propaganda you've been force-fed all of your life. I'm so sick of hearing that generic response, it's the only thing anyone can say in a political debate. Dem or Rep.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6663

CameronPoe wrote:

Some points regarding myself:

1) I do not take part in futile demonstrations protesting anything. They are largely pointless. Spending half an hour explaining your viewpoint to one person who doesn't share your view is worth a million hours of protesting.

2) I take on board all viewpoints. I think we're very lucky to have GS on this forum who can give us and has given us valuable insights into what has gone on and what is going on in Iraq.

3) My guess at why Americans are protesting is that they don't want to see their brethren killed engaged in what they see as a futile war initiated on falsehoods. That is noble enough. They may also take issue with their tax money being funnelled into said futile exercise. I'm sure there are a lot of bandwagon know-nothings though, don't get me wrong.

4) Most Europeans are of like mind when it comes to Iraq so the only time I come across opinions opposed to mine are on this forum. I feel strongly about all sorts of issues, even if i haven't 'lost a cunt's hair' as a consquence of events. We are all living in a global village here. We in the west get tarred with the one brush also. The actions of the USA and UK reflect badly on all of us westerners when we visit the rest of the world. That irks me as one of my primary loves in life is to travel. It is a bad day now that I have to explain to people that 'No, I'm not American' or 'No, I'm not British' to avoid being insulted or experiencing unfriendliness and general frostiness. I'm just thankful Ireland has such a good reputation across the entire globe.

5) One thing that drives my interest in conflicts in the middle east are the parallels that can be drawn between the history of Ireland and what is going on today and the empathy that results from that. I won't apologise for being vocal about issues in the middle east when it stirs deap-seated emotions in me even though I am not directly impacted upon by said issues.

6) When the US broke its traditional policy of not pre-emptively striking a target alarm bells rang in my head. Nothing is certain anymore. When the worlds most well armed nation can call any country a target or act unilaterally in what is, as I said, a global village - the effects are felt by us all, not just those in the region receiving the pounding or about to receive a pounding. We are all on edge.
great reading your replies cam.  and we are definately on the same page on this one, but on point 3, if you were to feel the atmosphere in one of these protests, youd think they were celebrating a birthday instead of condeming the deaths of innocent lives and military.  I think most of these people are band wagoners or who may just be so god damn polarized in their political views that black and white is all they see.
mKmalfunction
Infamous meleeKings cult. Est. 2003 B.C.
+82|6559|The Lost Highway

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Iraq War Costs:
-340 billion dollars
-700M Iraqi People Died
-2800 Americans Died
I don't know really.
and how has effected your day to day life. honestly, how?

and serge, your proving my point.  that 700 thousand is utter bullshit
1 of those 2800 Americans could be someone he knows. Thats a good enough reason to be against a war. I know its mine.

Beyond that, I don't think Americans have anything of significance to gain from the war.

Last edited by mKmalfunction (2006-11-02 10:45:28)

RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6587|Oxford

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Why protest the war in Iraq. Human beings are selfish animals by nature and NOBODY has lost a cunt hairs worth of their quality of life since 2003.  why do i see a bunch of kids waving their signs  in front of recruiting stations and doing protest walks blocking traffic.  I have more respect for the insurgent that detonates an IED than for all these new wannabe hippies.
True, my quality of life hasn't changed a bit since you guys decided to invade Iraq but then it was the same before too. Whether you're there or not makes no difference to my life, which begs the question; why are you over there at all?

On another note, it appears your politicians agree. At what point do you guys start to question the reason you were sent there? Your presence is compounding the insurgency problem and one could argue your actions WILL start affecting our everyday lives the longer you remain in their country.

Most people are protesting precisely because their lives are unaffected either way. The only ones suffering are the Iraqi people, and your average human being will find issue with this. Call them hippies if you like, no doubt they'll call you a murderer, but remember this: You get to go home after your tour, the Iraqi people don't, and they have to live day to day with murders, bombings, no infrastructure and no security. You only get one pop at life and the majority do their best to make the most of it; why fuck it up for others?
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6464|The Land of Scott Walker

R3v0LuT!oN wrote:

GetSplit wrote:

I'm not wealthy and I got a taxbreak.  There's other threads in here about how the wealthy pay the majority of the nations taxes.  Don't swallow the taxbreaks only for the rich kool-aid.  Even if it was just for the wealthy, I'm for any taxcuts the government will approve.  The "rich" are the business owners who are able to create more jobs with a smaller tax burden.  I see no reason to punish them because we're jealous of their accomplishments and money.  They earned it.  Sure there are trust fund kids out there.  But the majority of the wealthy work hard for it.  I hate the stupid class war where those who have less hate those who have more.  And by the way, Republicans are not the only wealthy in our nation.  Kennedy's anyone?
R3v0LuT!oN
+22|6685|United States

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

R3v0LuT!oN wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

makes me want to vomit.
no no no.  the constitution is my bible.  what I have an issue with is this:

shes sabotaging the seriousness of her dissent as well as pooping on the memories of soldiers that have already died (in my opinion).  holy fuck, shes protesting her anger towards the government or particpating a costume party.  how the fuck can i take vermin like this seriously for their beliefs when all i see at a protest is a bunch of people having GREAT time.  correct me if Im wrong but shouldnt dissent be something one takes serious if one is sincere.  how the fuck could some hold a sign that says 3000 dead troops or whatever and smiling and joking at the same time.  to me it seems like these bastards are using the lives of Iraqis and GI's to keep the good times rolling

im just asking why people protest.  1st amendment all the way
All I can say is at least this wacky lady in her pink outfit is out DOING SOMETHING.  She could much more easily stay home and argue on internet forums, but what does that accomplish?

Last edited by R3v0LuT!oN (2006-11-02 10:47:14)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6663

R3v0LuT!oN wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Is that an observation based on facts, or just personal experience?  Because all of the people I know who protest are very well educated, informed people, who also have respectable day jobs.  Would it be fair for me to say that ALL protesters are equally educated and informed, just because the ones I've encountered are?  Of course not.  The same applies to your sweeping generalization.
yes, but then, how has their quality of life been damaged due to the war.  most protesters I know are bleeding hearts who like to cite stupid shit like the Lancet report or that "ranger" in iraq with the white tshirt under his BDU's saying all that bullshit he said about the war earlier this year.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard