cosworth1983
+21|6503|Enschede / Netherlands
Hi,  i want to paint the inside of my case black,  because that looks way nicer,  and also it makes the lights inside a bit dimmed.
But some guys told me not to do it, because it will make the inside of the case hotter,  when its under full load,
because black things absorb more heat.
i know the absorbing part is true,   but will the temps actually get any higher?,  when painting it black.
i think if i got enough airflow trough my case it wouldn't be any problem,  what do you guys think?.

Greetz
CrazeD
+368|6690|Maine
Just use thin coats and you should be fine. Make sure the paint isn't real heavy-duty-ub3r-rust-resistant stuff.
cosworth1983

CrazeD wrote:

Just Make sure the paint isn't real heavy-duty-ub3r-rust-resistant stuff.
LMAO, thanxs will keep that in mind.

Greetz
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6702|Espoo, Finland
Don't black things absorb light and thus get hotter by it? I don't think that the color of the item has any effect on how well it absorbs heat, if the paint isn't heat absorbing, that is.
jamesb
Joined BF2s in November 2005
+133|6741|Doncaster, England

Gawwad wrote:

Don't black things absorb light and thus get hotter by it? I don't think that the color of the item has any effect on how well it absorbs heat, if the paint isn't heat absorbing, that is.
Most sensible thing I've seen all day
TheLostOne
+11|6530
Yes black is the best at absorbing heat, but also loses heat the best once it has been absorbed. Strange, but true.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6702|Espoo, Finland

TheLostOne wrote:

Yes black is the best at absorbing heat, but also loses heat the best once it has been absorbed. Strange, but true.
Are you positive that it absorbs HEAT and not LIGHT?

Google to check my knowledge ->

EDIT: Google proved it
The color of the object doesn't change how it absorbs heat, but it does change how it absorbs light. A black object absorbs all the light that gets to it (which makes it balck because no light is reflected from it) and the absorbed light is turned in to heat in the proces. It's called RADIATION.

Last edited by Gawwad (2006-10-30 10:15:31)

jamesb
The sound proofing wouldn't be black under the bonnet (hood) of your car if it absorbed more heat.
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6689
Try "Hy-Tech Acousti-Coat"  it's a black paint that is made to absorb sound (Sound deadening).  If you going to paint you case black (Inside and out) might as well make it a lot quieter in the process.
jsnipy
+3,276|6540|...

The bare metal is better than a painted surface. if it conducts electricity better, than it conducts heat better.

Last edited by jsnipy (2006-10-30 13:03:23)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6789|PNW

jsnipy wrote:

The bare metal is better than a painted surface. if it conducts electricity better, than it conducts heat better.
Expanding on that, thermal conductivity is dependant upon many of the same variables as electrical conductivity; that is, freedom of movement in electrons, and how far they can travel unimpeded. Painting the inside of a case will not hurt it, however, provided that there is ample cooling. Lian Li is a big fan of black chassis innards, and it doesn't seem to adversely affect temperature levels when benchmarked against other cases.
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Expanding on that, thermal conductivity is dependant upon many of the same variables as electrical conductivity; that is, freedom of movement in electrons, and how far they can travel unimpeded. Painting the inside of a case will not hurt it, however, provided that there is ample cooling. Lian Li is a big fan of black chassis innards, and it doesn't seem to adversely affect temperature levels when benchmarked against other cases.
Well said sir,  you beat me to it.  If you have a good cooling setup, it will not make a difference. (Except it will be a lot quieter!
cosworth1983
Ok guys thanxs for the info,   i think i just go for it,  and im only spraying the visible parts.  So i can keep a good 70% paint free.
And there's enough airflow,  so will see what happens.

Greetz
cospengle
+140|6504|Armidale, NSW, Australia

jamesb wrote:

The sound proofing wouldn't be black under the bonnet (hood) of your car if it absorbed more heat.
Umm, it's black because otherwise it would show up all the black shit that collects in the engine bay.

I don't think painting the case will have any effect on cooling, as long as you don't clog up any of the ventillation holes. Most of the cooling in a PC relies on convection of heat away from the chips (ie air blowing on them) not radiation through the case.

Last edited by cospengle (2006-10-30 15:17:14)

CackNBallz
+45|6760|Toronto, Canada
Make sure to paint racing stripes on the case! It will make it go faster.
Ryan
+1,230|6861|Alberta, Canada

What if your computer's hot and it like melts the paint, because the paint may not stick very well...

Last edited by ryan_14 (2006-10-30 15:42:16)

jamesb

cospengle wrote:

jamesb wrote:

Umm, it's black because otherwise it would show up all the black shit that collects in the engine bay.

I don't think painting the case will have any effect on cooling, as long as you don't clog up any of the ventillation holes. Most of the cooling in a PC relies on convection of heat away from the chips (ie air blowing on them) not radiation through the case.
My point was it would be reflective.
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
+83|6712|Vancouver BC Canada
I really think that if it has any effect at all it will be extemely minimal.

CackNBallz wrote:

Make sure to paint racing stripes on the case! It will make it go faster.
And a V-tech sticker, it adds 15 HP alone.
MECtallica
+73|6522|jalalabad
give it a spoiler too, +5 aerodynamics
Kanye North
randy
+80|6482
i think that sounds kinda lame. no one really cares what the inside of a computer looks like. its gotta bunch of wires and shit goin on inside it. if i were you i wouldn't do it just because its not gonna do anything.
jaymz9350
+54|6595

Kanye North wrote:

i think that sounds kinda lame. no one really cares what the inside of a computer looks like. its gotta bunch of wires and shit goin on inside it. if i were you i wouldn't do it just because its not gonna do anything.
if people didn't care what the inside of thier pc's looked like they wouldn't make cases with windows on the side. i like the idea and if i ever get around to painting my case it's gonna be black inside and out. and also the case material (paint included) plays very little in the cooling of you pc.
cosworth1983

Kanye North wrote:

its gonna do one major thing,,,, Looking good.
And i like to mod it a bit.  just to have a one of a kind case.

Greetz
montypythizzle
+21|6620
well the the color of paint and paint itself has negligible effects on the temp zomg artards
Viller-Valle
Svensk Tiger
+15|6445|Sweden
All items counts as "Absolute Black" items. When talking physics.
CrazeD
+368|6690|Maine

ryan_14 wrote:

What if your computer's hot and it like melts the paint, because the paint may not stick very well...
If your computer gets hot enough to melt paint, then you have more to worry about than paint.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard