CameronPoe
+2,925|6547

DesertFox423 wrote:

Mortifed_Kangaroo wrote:

Lets compare the UK and USA
USA HAND GUN DEATHS 4500
UK (Where not even the cops carry guns) HAND GUN DEATHS 15
No crap. That's like comparing the automobile crash deaths of the US to that of Vatican City.
Bollocks. Multiply the number by 6 and you get 90 deaths as opposed to 4500. (US pop. 300m, UK pop. 50m)
malarkeycoon
+16|6632|Cardiff

CameronPoe wrote:

Can someone explain why crime, particularly murder and gun crime in general, is generally far far higher in countries where guns are legal than in countries where they aren't?
Hmmmm, let me think.... nope it would be too obvious to blame the number of guns on that. It must be something different.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6772|Great Brown North
too bad theres no way to just keep stupid people away from guns >.<

i like my hunting rifles and shotguns, and i like going out to a sandpit now and then and shooting some paper targets as well.

if someone wants to steal our guns they'll have a hell of a time doing it... two layers of 1/4 inch steel plating held with 4 locks, two going on the left and one on the top and bottom. and then its bolted to the floor, which is cement.

with proper storage and strict control measures firearm safety for the user and the public in general IS possible, just hard to enforce.

personaly i would rather work towards a possible compromise or solution than proclaiming all guns evil and demand they be banned out of my own fear...

the unfortunate truth is that criminals will ALWAYS get and have guns...

sorry for any spelling errors and stuff like that... been up all night and now its time to drool on my pillow for a number of hours

Last edited by krazed (2006-10-30 05:35:46)

malarkeycoon
+16|6632|Cardiff

krazed wrote:

the unfortunate truth is that criminals will ALWAYS get and have guns...
Yes they will. But the fewer guns there are, the harder it is to get one. In New Zealand (where I come from) there are strict controls on guns. Rifles are relatively easy to come by (with a permit) but hand guns are essentially non-existant. Consequently criminals are forced to use sorn off shot guns. I'm not saying that that is any better than a hand gun but at least its not as 'easy'.
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6821

krazed wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Phantom2828 wrote:

THINK FFS!!!
There is a law preventing fucking felons from buying handguns dumb fuck!
There is also a waiting period on handguns along with a background check!
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!!!
A gun is an equalizer, would YOU want to fight toe to toe with a criminal with a crowbar? Or would you rather just shoot him.
THINK FFS!! YOU AREN'T SUPER MEN!!!
You also have to remember that in the UK if you shot or in any other way injured a criminal breaking into your house your would probably be prosecuted for it (something I am quite against). There have been many cases of criminals being shot by legitimate gun owners in the UK when breaking in and the shooters have been sentenced to several years of jail time.
gotta love a law where defending your home gets you arrested and the criminal set free
It's cheaper for the tax payers to set the criminal free rather than locking up his corpse for 5 years . Anyway it helps to stop the idiots who wake up in the night, hear a noise then go stick both barrels into the back of their cousin who they forgot was staying over.

The classic example of this was the farmer in Britain who shot a burglar in the back as he was running away. He got jail time and thoroughly deserved it.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6573|SE London

CameronPoe wrote:

DesertFox423 wrote:

Mortifed_Kangaroo wrote:

Lets compare the UK and USA
USA HAND GUN DEATHS 4500
UK (Where not even the cops carry guns) HAND GUN DEATHS 15
No crap. That's like comparing the automobile crash deaths of the US to that of Vatican City.
Bollocks. Multiply the number by 6 and you get 90 deaths as opposed to 4500. (US pop. 300m, UK pop. 50m)
Actually population of the UK is 60 million. So you only have to multiply by 5. So only 75 compared to 4500, after adjusting for population. Proportional that's about 50 gun related deaths in the US for every one in the UK. The overall homicide rate over here is much lower too. Gun control works, in so much as it reduces the amount of gun related crime and the number of homicides. Although other tough restrictions such as the drinking age in the US don't seem to work, the US still has a very high level of alcohol related deaths and drink driving, despite the highest drinking age in the world. So who knows, maybe it is just something to do with Americans not being able to exercise self restraint?
AlbertWesker[RE]
Not Human Anymore
+144|6636|Seattle, WA

CameronPoe wrote:

Can someone explain why crime, particularly murder and gun crime in general, is generally far far higher in countries where guns are legal than in countries where they aren't?
It has nothing to do with those laws Cam, it has everything to do with population, ratio of illegal aliens (which really doesn't account for that much, but it still does!), and CULTURE.  You can't just blanket cover your country and say oh well we don't have crime here because its less legal, so bah.  Well there are countries where it is massively MORE legal and MORE LAX than the USA and they have barely ANY crime related to what you said.  So your point is moot.  The question is not the laws it is the PEOPLE.  Get your head out of the sand.

Oh Cam can you explain this? or anyone else, why does the U.S. have the most crimes PREVENTED by lawful civilians using firearms, in part due to the higher ratio of gun ownership yes, but it far outweighs the number of deaths, sorry.

Edit: also nice dodge on my previous question to you cam, good job.

Last edited by AlbertWesker[RE] (2006-10-30 09:49:42)

AlbertWesker[RE]
Not Human Anymore
+144|6636|Seattle, WA

Bertster7 wrote:

So who knows, maybe it is just something to do with Americans not being able to exercise self restraint?
Oh yeah, because we are all just gun toting crazies.  Yep, there aren't millions of crimes prevented every year by lawful citizens, there aren't thousands of lives saved.  Nope, let's just look at ONE side of the issue, good job.

Yes, of course it works, but at what cost, how would the people ever be able to overcome a corrupt government? Ala V for Vendetta (which is a ridicolous movie BTW), they would have all been slaughtered, anyways, at what cost have you lost your guns.  Sorry, guns are not just for killing champ, there are many other useful and fun activities that they are associated with.  The majority of gun owners in America do EXERCISE self constraint, you just see fit to OVER GENERALIZE us by the actions of FEW.  Good job.
Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6625|USA
Guns are stupid. /win
AlbertWesker[RE]
Not Human Anymore
+144|6636|Seattle, WA

Naughty_Om wrote:

Guns are stupid. /win
What a well thought out and intelligent response probably from someone who has a lot of experience on the subject.  +0.

So why do you think guns are stupid? Because "they" kill people? Aha.  Maybe you should think cars are stupid, or maybe cigarrettes.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6758|UK

AlbertWesker[RE] wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

It has nothing to do with those laws Cam, it has everything to do with population, ratio of illegal aliens (which really doesn't account for that much, but it still does!), and CULTURE.  You can't just blanket cover your country and say oh well we don't have crime here because its less legal, so bah.  Well there are countries where it is massively MORE legal and MORE LAX than the USA and they have barely ANY crime related to what you said.  So your point is moot.  The question is not the laws it is the PEOPLE.  Get your head out of the sand.

Oh Cam can you explain this? or anyone else, why does the U.S. have the most crimes PREVENTED by lawful civilians using firearms, in part due to the higher ratio of gun ownership yes, but it far outweighs the number of deaths, sorry.

Edit: also nice dodge on my previous question to you cam, good job.
Lol another American who inadvertantly admitted your PEOPLE are crazy gun wielding nuttas. Also England probably has the same ratio if not higher. The amount of people from nearly everywhere in the world that come to England is huge, the reason why i think England is the most diverse country in the world (not entirely sure if we are no. one but we must be close).
Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6625|USA

AlbertWesker[RE] wrote:

Naughty_Om wrote:

Guns are stupid. /win
What a well thought out and intelligent response probably from someone who has a lot of experience on the subject.  +0.

So why do you think guns are stupid? Because "they" kill people? Aha.  Maybe you should think cars are stupid, or maybe cigarrettes.
Why do you need a gun? lets go theoretical. IF everyone owned a gun. Guns would no longer be required because everyone would be so afraid of some crazy guy shooting htem. Lets get rid of guns altogether and let the survival of the fittest begin. not the survival of the richest. AND that is why guns are stupid.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6758|UK

AlbertWesker[RE] wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

So who knows, maybe it is just something to do with Americans not being able to exercise self restraint?
Oh yeah, because we are all just gun toting crazies.  Yep, there aren't millions of crimes prevented every year by lawful citizens, there aren't thousands of lives saved.  Nope, let's just look at ONE side of the issue, good job.

Yes, of course it works, but at what cost, how would the people ever be able to overcome a corrupt government? Ala V for Vendetta (which is a ridicolous movie BTW), they would have all been slaughtered, anyways, at what cost have you lost your guns.  Sorry, guns are not just for killing champ, there are many other useful and fun activities that they are associated with.  The majority of gun owners in America do EXERCISE self constraint, you just see fit to OVER GENERALIZE us by the actions of FEW.  Good job.
lol @ your conspiricy theories... OMG THE GOVERNMENT IS GUNNA TAKE OVER!!!!!!1111oneleven.

Our army isnt controlled by our government and if the government did try to take over the army would stop them, if you want proof of our army disagreeing with the governement check some of our latest headlines. If the army tried to take over they would be pressured out by their own families who would be like "WTF ARE YOU DOING!". Damn im happy i dont live in America, you all are always fearing for your safety so much that you need guns to feel safe.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6547

AlbertWesker[RE] wrote:

Vigilantism is quite different than self protection Cam, you should know that.  It has been proven time and time again and ask most police, at least here in the U.S., and they will flat out tell you that you can't always rely on the police, why,

Bad guy busts in your house:

Cam: oh BG please wait, I'm calling the police, can you put down that knife/gun and wait for them to get here, thanks.

BG: Sure, NP

Cam: Thanks.

Yeah well glad it works that way in Ireland my friend, but that is just not the case.  You can NOT rely on the police, and that is NOT vigilantism, vigilantism is PROACTIVELY INTENTIONALLY searching for criminals, defending yourself is REACTIVE is action and Proactive in PLANNING alone.  Good day.
Ah - I didn't see this post. I wasn't dodging.

How often does someone decide to break into your house with you still in it?
If I'm not very much mistaken if you shoot an intruder it's still murder, no?
The likelihood in Ireland is that no intruder is ever likely to be carrying a gun. Why? Because gun offences are a taboo due to our 'illegal guns' culture. The gravity of gun crime is far far more serious than any other type of crime here (hence the 'taboo' status). It is something a criminal is far less likely to engage in especially for a petty burglary or a mugging, as the crime is deemed far more severe and reprehensible, the punishments are accordingly severe and the weapons are hard to procure in the first place. You're right - it's a culture thing. It's similar to the way that Japanese culture is conducive to there being hardly any crime - all because they have strict codes of conduct and honour that are distilled in everyone at childhood. Alas it is too late for America now.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-10-30 10:12:39)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6758|UK

CameronPoe wrote:

AlbertWesker[RE] wrote:

Vigilantism is quite different than self protection Cam, you should know that.  It has been proven time and time again and ask most police, at least here in the U.S., and they will flat out tell you that you can't always rely on the police, why,

Cam: oh BG please wait, I'm calling the police, can you put down that knife/gun and wait for them to get here, thanks.

Yeah well glad it works that way in Ireland my friend, but that is just not the case.  You can NOT rely on the police, and that is NOT vigilantism, vigilantism is PROACTIVELY INTENTIONALLY searching for criminals, defending yourself is REACTIVE is action and Proactive in PLANNING alone.  Good day.

The likelihood in Ireland is that no intruder is ever likely to be carrying a gun. Why? Because gun offences are a taboo due to our 'illegal guns' culture. The gravity of gun crime is far far more serious than any other type of crime here (hence the 'taboo' status). It is something a criminal is far less likely to engage in especially for a petty burglary or a mugging, as the crime is deemed far more severe and reprehensible, the punishments are accordingly severe and the weapons are hard to procure in the first place. You're right - it's a culture thing. It's similar to the way that Japanese culture is conducive to there being hardly any crime - all because they have strict codes of conduct and honour that are distilled in everyone at childhood. Alas it is too late for America now.
Watch out Cam, your government is gunna take over!!! You have no guns to stop them!!oneoeneoenoeneoeneoene! They're gunna get you, you better get a gun to make you fear for your life less! Its only doubtful that you will shoot someone else and not yourself.
AlbertWesker[RE]
Not Human Anymore
+144|6636|Seattle, WA

Vilham wrote:

Lol another American who inadvertantly admitted your PEOPLE are crazy gun wielding nuttas. Also England probably has the same ratio if not higher. The amount of people from nearly everywhere in the world that come to England is huge, the reason why i think England is the most diverse country in the world (not entirely sure if we are no. one but we must be close).
NO, I said you over generalized us, are you blind..... there ARE crazies out there, but certainly not anywhere near the majority of gun owners.  Sorry.  It is VERY diverse.  I know.  That is not the point.

Naughty_Om wrote:

Why do you need a gun? lets go theoretical. IF everyone owned a gun. Guns would no longer be required because everyone would be so afraid of some crazy guy shooting htem. Lets get rid of guns altogether and let the survival of the fittest begin. not the survival of the richest. AND that is why guns are stupid.
No, people would not be afraid, I have a gun, not because I'm afraid, because I'm prepared.  You have the wrong attitude.  And how do you propose we get rid of guns? Pass laws to ban them, oh good than only criminals would have guns because us law abiders would turn them in, and be completely defenseless, good job once again.  But at least you tried to explain your viewpoint, thanks for not creeping away like other people.

Look folks everyone has a different viewpoint, and no one person is wrong, but the facts don't lie, guns SAVE more lives than they kill, SORRY.

SO I digress, why do I need a gun? I don't NEED a gun, I prefer to have one to DEFEND myself and others, if needed, do I want to kill someone HELL NO, do I want to shoot someone, HELL NO.  But I certainly will not ROLL over and let someone kill me.  FYI my "stupid" gun has SAVED my life when someone was about to beat the shit out of me with 4 of his buddies while I was camping at a place called Corral Pass here in WA.  He was drunk off his ass, and they were literally about to attack me for no god damned reason.  That is why I need a gun.

Vilham wrote:

lol @ your conspiricy theories... OMG THE GOVERNMENT IS GUNNA TAKE OVER!!!!!!1111oneleven.

Our army isnt controlled by our government and if the government did try to take over the army would stop them, if you want proof of our army disagreeing with the governement check some of our latest headlines. If the army tried to take over they would be pressured out by their own families who would be like "WTF ARE YOU DOING!". Damn im happy i dont live in America, you all are always fearing for your safety so much that you need guns to feel safe.
And here we go with the over generalizing ONCE AGAIN.  OMFG I don't prescribe to conspiracy theories, they are dumb, as I stated V for Vendetta was stupid.  But It can happen, because it has HAPPENED before.  Thats called not letting history repeat itself.  I'm not always fearing for my safety, your over generalizing because you don't understand us.  I don't NEED guns to feel safe, its called being prepared.  Nice try at trying to over generalize me ONCE again, read above how my gun saved my life, I would have been beaten to shit for no reason in the wilderness.  Think again.
AlbertWesker[RE]
Not Human Anymore
+144|6636|Seattle, WA

CameronPoe wrote:

AlbertWesker[RE] wrote:

No worries, I was just joking BTW.

How often, it happened twice in the last 2 years.  No if you shoot an intruder and  your in fear of your life its called self defense....I study law, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

I agree the likelihood in Ireland is lower, I'm not disputing that at all...I'm saying you dont' understand Americans because your not one and i'm sick and tired of you Europeans OVER GENERALIZING us.  I completely agree, GUNS have nothing to do with it, CULTURE has EVERYTHING to do with it, thanks for responding BTW.
AlbertWesker[RE]
Not Human Anymore
+144|6636|Seattle, WA

Vilham wrote:

Watch out Cam, your government is gunna take over!!! You have no guns to stop them!!oneoeneoenoeneoeneoene! They're gunna get you, you better get a gun to make you fear for your life less! Its only doubtful that you will shoot someone else and not yourself.
Read my post again, your overgeneralizing ONCE again.  Good job.  I'm not saying the gov't would take over, I'm saying its POSSIBLE,  You really need to learn how to read.  Only doubtful, move to another thread where you know what your talking about vilham, if your going to just continue to be RUDE to me, than you deserve no more responses from me, grow up.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6758|UK
Well as you said earlier then, its all about your Culture. For a culture to be like that there must be something fundamentally wrong with your country and its views of what is acceptable and not.

As to the facts speak for themselves... GUNS DONT SAVE MORE LIVES! Ok, all the facts are counter to them saving lives, why do you think your homocide rate is so high in America compared to non gun legal countries eg England.
Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6625|USA
HOW DO THEY SAVE LIVES!! THEIR PURPOSE IS TO KILL! FFS. IF YOU SHOOT SOMEONE< THATS NOT SAVING A LIFE< THATS TAKING ONE! AUUUUGH i laugh at your pitiful arguments.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6547

AlbertWesker[RE] wrote:

How often, it happened twice in the last 2 years.  No if you shoot an intruder and  your in fear of your life its called self defense....I study law, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

I agree the likelihood in Ireland is lower, I'm not disputing that at all...I'm saying you dont' understand Americans because your not one and i'm sick and tired of you Europeans OVER GENERALIZING us.  I completely agree, GUNS have nothing to do with it, CULTURE has EVERYTHING to do with it, thanks for responding BTW.
We agree on the culture part. The culture we have here stems from the fact that firearms have always been prohibited. In America this was never the case - this stems from the 'Wild West' frontiersmans need to defend his homestead from raiders. Nothing can return America to square one - it's impossible. Even so much as one person legally holding a firearm initiates a race to the bottom whereupon everyone must acquire one to 'prtoect themselves'. That has happened in the US and is irreversible. As such no real lesson can be learned from Europe because the example of Europe could never translate across the Atlantic realistically speaking.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6758|UK

AlbertWesker[RE] wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Read my post again, your overgeneralizing ONCE again.  Good job.  I'm not saying the gov't would take over, I'm saying its POSSIBLE,  You really need to learn how to read.  Only doubtful, move to another thread where you know what your talking about vilham, if your going to just continue to be RUDE to me, than you deserve no more responses from me, grow up.
Im not being rude to you, im just ridiculing your comments which are ridiculous. Having guns wont stop anything. If the government were to take over they would need the armies cooperation, meaning tanks and fully trained soldiers something your little pistol wont stop. Stop coming up with comments that just dont make any sense if you actually stop to think them through.
AlbertWesker[RE]
Not Human Anymore
+144|6636|Seattle, WA

Vilham wrote:

Well as you said earlier then, its all about your Culture. For a culture to be like that there must be something fundamentally wrong with your country and its views of what is acceptable and not.

As to the facts speak for themselves... GUNS DONT SAVE MORE LIVES! Ok, all the facts are counter to them saving lives, why do you think your homocide rate is so high in America compared to non gun legal countries eg England.

OVER GENERALIZING!!!!!! STOP.

Look I said the culture is DIFFERENT, THE MAJORITY of gun owners are NOT criminals, the culture is fine, its not FLAWED, its DIFFERENT.  God, why do you have to be so pompous about this.

Guns DO save more lives bud. Sorry, but your only looking at ONE side of the issue and blinding yourself to the other side only because it benefits YOUR viewpoint.  I'm done talking to you if your just going to be an arse about this.

NCPA wrote:

Over the years, police and other experts have changed their recommendations about how to deal with criminals. In the early and middle 1970s, they advised cooperating with robbers and rapists to minimize chances of personal injury. Today, some who gave that advice tacitly admit that it was misguided. They now urge resistance in selected instances, especially for rape victims. Studies show that robbery and rape victims who resist with a gun are only half as likely to suffer injuries as those who put up no defense.28

Why Guns Deter Criminals

Advocates of gun control have paid for several studies, hoping to prove that guns are not useful for self-defense. But every study has shown the opposite: Handguns are used at least as often in repelling crimes as in committing them and are particularly successful as weapons of defense.29 This is one reason why 88 percent of the nation's command-rank police officials disagree with the statement, " The banning of private ownership of firearms will result in fewer crimes from firearms."30

In the 1960s a New York-based antigun group printed signs for its members to post on their homes, "THERE ARE NO GUNS IN THIS HOUSE." But the signs came down and the organization withered after a large number of those homes were robbed or burglarized.31 On the other hand, during a 1974 police strike in Albuquerque, N. M., armed citizens patrolled the streets - and felonies dropped sharply.32

Americans use firearms for protection an estimated one million times each year. Ninety-eight percent of the time, they simply brandish the weapon or fire a warning shot.33 But not always34

* Each year, gun-wielding citizens kill an estimated 2,000 to 3,000 criminals in self-defense, three times the number killed by police.

* They wound another 9,000 to 17,000 criminals each year.

"Criminals are three times more likely to be killed bytheir victims than by the police."

Criminals may not read statistical studies, but they are generally aware of the large number of firearms in existence and of the fact that law-abiding citizens own most of them. Although violent crime and total crime reported to the police is much higher in the United States than in Western Europe, U.S. burglary rates are about the same, or lower, probably because of the deterrent effect of civilian firearms.35 Burglars say they spend an average of two hours "casing" a house to establish that no one is at home.36 They avoid late-night burglaries because " that's the way to get shot."37 Interviews with convicted felons are especially revealing:38

* As Figure II shows, a survey of 1,874 felons in 10 states found that most worry more about meeting an armed victim than about running into the police.

* 42 percent reported they had encountered a victim armed with a gun, and 38 percent had been scared off, shot at, wounded or captured by an armed victim.

* A majority agreed that " a store owner who is known to keep a gun on the premises is not going to get robbed very often."

Adverse Results are Rare.

Despite stories of gun owners who mistake family members for intruders and shoot them, and of criminals harming victims with the victims' guns, the fact is that defending oneself with a firearm generally is safer than the alternatives:39

* The accidental shooting of an innocent person mistaken for an intruder occurs in fewer than 30 fatal firearm incidents a year, about 2 percent of all fatal firearms incidents.

* At a maximum, criminals take a gun away from armed victims only 1 percent of the time (while 10 percent of police who are shot are shot with their own guns).

* Interestingly, 70 percent of defensive gun uses are against criminals who do not have a gun.

"Defending oneself with a firearm generally is safer than the alternatives."

A nationwide comparative study conducted by Don B. Kates, Jr., at the St. Louis University School of Law found that armed citizens were quite responsible in using handguns.40 The vast majority of people are not violent and use firearms only as a last resort. When they do use them, firearms can be effective:41

• As noted above, private citizens kill about three times as many criminals as do law enforcement officials.

• And although only 2 percent of those involved in civilian shootings are misidentified, 11 percent of individuals involved in police shootings were later found to be innocents misidentified as criminals.
Of course, police must enter situations in which they are not personally involved, while the private citizen is likely to be under attack and unlikely to mistake the target, so there is a greater likelihood that police might make a misidentification.
I'm done with you.  We will obviously not agree, so whatever, just stop generalizing me and other Americans.  Its frankly not very good representation of the politeness you Europeans are supposedly regarded for.  Good day.

How do they save lives Naughty? Just read above.  You people are so one sided its....amazing.

NCPA wrote:

Advocates of gun control frequently argue that there is no defensible reason for innocent people to own handguns, since the only function of such weapons is to kill other people. Actually, there are a number of legitimate reasons to own a handgun - not the least of which is self defense. Pistol shooting (at inanimate targets) is a sport, and some professionals in the sport have million-dollar contracts.42 And, contrary to antigun propaganda, pistol hunting is also a sport.43 More important, as noted above, firearms are used one million times a year to ward off criminals and most of the time they are not discharged.

Who Owns Guns.

Surveys show that owning a gun is associated with peace of mind. Those who own guns are less fearful of walking in their neighborhoods. They are less apt to be afraid at night in their homes, less likely to have been burglarized or robbed within the last year. They also are more likely to be political conservatives and hunters. The overall pattern of gun ownership has been relatively stable over the past 30 years. The biggest single predictor of whether a householder owns a gun is whether he or she grew up in a household with a gun. This helps to explain the deep-seated cultural conflict between those who find gun ownership wholesome and judicious and those who find it abhorrent and in need of control.44

Guns for Self-Protection.

"Firearms are used a million times a year to ward off criminals."

Higher crime in an area sometimes stimulates more people to buy firearms for protection. Twenty-seven percent of gun owners say they have a gun mainly for protection. Another 62 percent say that protection from crime is at least one of the reasons they own guns.45 Of households with guns, those with no adult male are twice as likely as others to keep a loaded gun. Black gun owners are four times as likely as white gun owners to keep a loaded handgun.46

Criminals vs. Noncriminals.

Survey data show that gun ownership among people who are arrested is moderately higher than in the general population, but the difference is modest for handguns, the type most frequently involved in violence.47 Scattered evidence suggests that during the period of fastest increase in violent crime, from 1964 to 1974, gun possession grew more rapidly among criminals than among law-abiding citizens.48 Perhaps the sturdiest evidence is that the fraction of homicides, aggravated assaults and robberies involving guns increased from 1964 to 1974.
Edit: BTW in case you were unaware the NCPA is a highly regard unbiased research group.  Have a good day all, and one last thing, like I said, if you disagree thats fine, but you guys are only looking at YOUR side of the arguement.  I wish you all a very good day, and glad that we were able to talk about this.  But Vilham, please refrain from being so rude in the future.  Thanks.

Last edited by AlbertWesker[RE] (2006-10-30 10:28:44)

AlbertWesker[RE]
Not Human Anymore
+144|6636|Seattle, WA

Vilham wrote:

Im not being rude to you, im just ridiculing your comments which are ridiculous. Having guns wont stop anything. If the government were to take over they would need the armies cooperation, meaning tanks and fully trained soldiers something your little pistol wont stop. Stop coming up with comments that just dont make any sense if you actually stop to think them through.
I agree with you, but your the one making my comments ridicolous by not actually reading them and only making assumptions about the underlying things that I don't agree with.  I agree the government would pwn anyone, an uprising would be ridicolous.  But your the one who extrapolated my small comment into an overblown "conspiracy theory".  How about you READ before making a comment.  Thanks.

my original comment
Yes, of course it works, but at what cost, how would the people ever be able to overcome a corrupt government?
I said how would they ever even be ABLE to do so,  I didn't say they would be able to.  Please learn how to read, and good day once again.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6758|UK
Each year, gun-wielding citizens kill an estimated 2,000 to 3,000 criminals in self-defense, three times the number killed by police.

They wound another 9,000 to 17,000 criminals each year.

Lol great way to cause the cycle to continue. I thought most Americans were Christians, i dont believe it says kill anyone who trys to harm you in the bible. The fact that your population needs to kill this number of people in self defence just shows that your culture IS flawed, as Cameron said however its too late for you, you cant take the guns away so the cycle continues but please for the love of god stop arguing that legal gun ownership is a good thing when your in the only country in the world where this applies.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard