=MI5=BeenBanned
Banned
+0|6399
I currently have an ATi x700, and im looking to upgrade to a GeForce 7600. I don't want to pay the n00bs at best buy to install it because i think i can do it. I know where it goes in the tower, but i think that you need to go in and remove all the drivers for the old graphics card. Can anyone help me out please. There's karma for for good help.
=MI5=BeenBanned
Banned
+0|6399
please?
Brasso
+1,549|6638

For happy points? Sure!

Just right click on My Computer, then on Manage.  You should see a window called Computer Management.  Click on Device Manager.  Click on the plus sign next to Display Adapters.  Double click on the card that shows up there.  Click on the tab Driver, and Uninstall.  Make sure when you install the drivers for the new card, you're doing it in Safe Mode.  If you don't know how to start up in Safe Mode, Google it or PM me.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Mong0ose
Will it blend?
+24|6494|UK
Sure

In device manager you can simply remove the driver for the video card you are using - in the properties section of the hardware device

Alternatively, i am pretty sure there is an application you can download which cleans any video card drivers from your system - google is your friend here

It is pretty simple to do, but i would make sure you have removed any trace of the ATi dirver before installing nvidia - even if it means booting up without the grahpics card in the system

Good luck
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6667|The darkside of Denver
Why you calling them noobs? at least they can install. lol
Deadman
+34|6450|England
I think thats sounds a bit complicated for him guys.
You could just plug it in to the motherboard slot and see, follow the instruction on screen.
Theres a high chance it'll work fine.
*crosses fingers*
=MI5=BeenBanned
Banned
+0|6399

<SS>SonderKommando wrote:

Why you calling them noobs? at least they can install. lol
i dont want to pay them 60 bucks for something i can do myself
EricTViking
Yes, I am Queeg
+48|6559|UK

Deadman wrote:

You could just plug it in to the motherboard slot and see, follow the instruction on screen.
*crosses fingers*
I'll second that Deadman, just bung the new card in and install the software from the CD that comes with the new card.

You don't need to uninstall the old drivers.
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6727|Las Vegas

EricTViking wrote:

Deadman wrote:

*crosses fingers*
I'll second that Deadman, just bung the new card in and install the software from the CD that comes with the new card.

You don't HAVE to uninstall the old drivers but sometimes problems will arise from not doing so.

I highly recommend running DriverCleanerPro between driver installs and especially when switching GPU brands (it's free and very simple to use).  Also included is a tool called Cab Cleaner, a program that will clean the cab files. After installing from a service pack windows will overwrite driver files with older files from the service pack cab's. Cab Cleaner will remove the ATI and nVidia files from the cab.

If you take your gaming at all seriously, why wouldn't you take a few extra minutes for a clean install of your drivers?
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6679

ShotYourSix wrote:

EricTViking wrote:

Deadman wrote:

*crosses fingers*

You don't HAVE to uninstall the old drivers but sometimes problems will arise from not doing so.

I highly recommend running DriverCleanerPro between driver installs and especially when switching GPU brands (it's free and very simple to use).  Also included is a tool called Cab Cleaner, a program that will clean the cab files. After installing from a service pack windows will overwrite driver files with older files from the service pack cab's. Cab Cleaner will remove the ATI and nVidia files from the cab.

If you take your gaming at all seriously, why wouldn't you take a few extra minutes for a clean install of your drivers?
Right on, there is your answer... btw, best sig I have seen in a while.  Use a driver cleaner.

Then it is as easy as shutting it down, installing your new card, rebotting, and installing the new drivers.  Extremly easy.  After you are done you will smile at how easy it is.

Good luck and have fun
Chris
EricTViking
Yes, I am Queeg
+48|6559|UK

ShotYourSix wrote:

EricTViking wrote:

Deadman wrote:

*crosses fingers*

Because you don't need to like I said. I have installed hundreds of Gfx cards as upgrades and have never had an issue caused by leaving the old drivers on. You will probably end up with more issues by using "cleaner" utilities.
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6727|Las Vegas

EricTViking wrote:

Because you don't need to like I said. I have installed hundreds of Gfx cards as upgrades and have never had an issue caused by leaving the old drivers on. You will probably end up with more issues by using "cleaner" utilities.
Uh huh......

Thats why DriverCleanerPro has been downloaded 4,500,000 times...because it's useless and will cause "issues".

Like I said before, you don't HAVE to run a driver cleaner but if you wan't a clean install you will.  If you don't mind Windows overwriting newer driver files with older driver files from the cab then knock yourself out.  In most cases a half assed driver install will be fine. For the other times......well, you can always blame it on your hardware or dev. software.
majorassult
I <3 ak101
+307|6671|under there hayousaidunderwear

ShotYourSix wrote:

EricTViking wrote:

Uh huh......

Thats why DriverCleanerPro has been downloaded 4,500,000 times...because it's useless and will cause "issues".

Like I said before, you don't HAVE to run a driver cleaner but if you wan't a clean install you will.  If you don't mind Windows overwriting newer driver files with older driver files from the cab then knock yourself out.  In most cases a half assed driver install will be fine. For the other times......well, you can always blame it on your hardware or dev. software.
He's banned, no need to keep posting
EricTViking
Yes, I am Queeg
+48|6559|UK

ShotYourSix wrote:

EricTViking wrote:

Uh huh......

Meh.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard