mr.degman
+10|6446
where is the continue????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

talon wrote:

It is the beginning fo the Second Cold War, but that war is about to get even colder...
I love this sentance
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6431|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
Brilliant story. +1. Found it funny that most of my country froze over.
Oh, and Canadian Army happens to be an oxymoron .

Looking forward to the 2142 chapters.
Keep up the great work.

(Watch the "End of the World" animation, similar to your story, although they use nukes in that one...)
Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6780
Ok folks, chapter 11, Countdown to War, is finished. I also made a couple of minor changes to chapter 10.

And keep up the sticky requests, so everyone on the forum can enjoy the story.

Last edited by Talon (2006-10-26 12:34:14)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6641|London, England
I know what would work well, a map showing the Ice Cover. I could make one but i'm not really sure on what is covered and what isn't (Don't have 2142, so don't know what maps are in it etc...)
Talon
+341|6780
I'm making one already. I started making it, but then changed the story a bit, so had to start again.
Phrozenbot
+632|6635|do not disturb

In chapter 5, you could be specific with the dates. February 15th, 4 AM, the EU declares war on the MEC and PLA. The EU battles at the Great Wall of China Feb. 18th. You can see this in the EF trailer. I also think it says Taraba takes place on the 18th also, but nothing on Smoke Screen. See it at Google video.

Last edited by Hellogoodsir (2006-10-27 02:34:35)

Talon
+341|6780

Hellogoodsir wrote:

In chapter 5, you could be specific with the dates. February 15th, 4 AM, the EU declares war on the MEC and PLA. The EU battles at the Great Wall of China Feb. 18th. You can see this in the EF trailer. I also think it says Taraba takes place on the 18th also, but nothing on Smoke Screen. See it at Google video.
Thanks, I'll have a look at that trailer.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6741|Sydney, Australia
Generally very good. I am amazed at how you have linked all the battles together.

Just a few things:

1. You have the USS Essex going from being in the Middle East Fleet, helping the war there, to being in the Pacific Fleet, and assaulting Wake Island. These events are only 2-3 months apart. Would that really happen?

2. The ice reasoning... just blame global warming (you'll know of you have seen An Inconvenient Truth).

Apart from that, if it hasn't been made a sticky by tomorrow, I'll do it then.

Mcminty.
Talon
+341|6780

mcminty wrote:

Generally very good. I am amazed at how you have linked all the battles together.

Just a few things:

1. You have the USS Essex going from being in the Middle East Fleet, helping the war there, to being in the Pacific Fleet, and assaulting Wake Island. These events are only 2-3 months apart. Would that really happen?

2. The ice reasoning... just blame global warming (you'll know of you have seen An Inconvenient Truth).

Apart from that, if it hasn't been made a sticky by tomorrow, I'll do it then.

Mcminty.
Thank you for your comments and sticky.

@1: It somehow goes all over the world in BF2, so I decided to pay tribute to that in my story. Also, once the MEC had been invaded, they wouldn't need so much naval support there. The Chinese theartre, which has a navy, would need it far more.

@2: I havn't seen that (film?). However, try reading State of Fear, by Micheal Crichton (Jurassic park writer). That made me disbeleive global warming.

Also, could you change the title to "Battlefield 2/2142 Backstory: World War 3"

Last edited by Talon (2006-10-27 05:54:26)

Baron_von_Kondas
Ok! Try smelling this banana!!!
+74|6512|There?
+1 for the nice story. Always thought that bf2 should have a background
BattlefieldMedic
+25|6620|Sydney City, THE city.
Woot! Australia becomes the wealthiest country in the world! I like it!
JayDee
+4|6401|A large sand dune
Nice story Talon. You should get paid by EA for giving them the story behind the game ! +1 for sure.
Talon
+341|6780
Out of interest, who would buy a book based on BF2 for a standard book price (about £7/$12)?
Talon
+341|6780
Sorry for the delay in the Bf2142 section, but I was playign the game to get used to the maps (and having fun)

Anyway, Minsk is up, and I'm gonna try and write Karkand 2 tonight and maybe Belgrade as well.
FourthHorseman
+36|6476|TX
Just Outstanding. Reads Like a real intelligence brief, sort of. +1. wish I could give more.
-]Eucalyptus[-
I'm a MOO MOO STARRR!!1
+17|6763|Switzerland (Im not swiss tho)
Good story, I love how it's very in depth. If I may, I'd like to add some constructive criticism. I myself have written a story about BF2 and I appreciate constructive criticism, so I hope you do too.... Be that as it may, keep in mind that on the whole, I like your story.

Although I applaud the amount of time and effort put into this story, I must say the way the lead up to the US, China, MEC, and EU war is kind of naiive. Being a foreign policy junkie and going to major in university in international affairs with a concentration in conflict and security, I find many ends that required being tied up in order to bring about the bf2 world were kind of unrealistic. For example, the eagerness of middle eastern countries to be allied with Iran, where any war with that nation would end in US victory. Saudi Arabia is a US ally, as is Jordan, and would take comfort in being protected by the US. They would not feel pressured at all for fear of Iranian coercion into the MEC alliance, as US military response time is very fast and can push Iran back within a few weeks.

The US invading China would not do much as China does not, as you say, have comparatively significant amounts of oil reserves, comparing to other nations, and Bush would be insane to invade the massive China what with it's gigantic army just to 'get more oil'.

China cutting off trade with US would not harm the US, rather it would harm China more. China does not export petroleum to the US (that I know of) and if it cuts off trade, China would suffer economic failure as it will lose it's greatest market for its cheap export products. As you know there is a large current account deficit in the US. This is due to the large amount of imports the US is importing from China. These imports (China's exports) are fueling China's economic growth.

A more realistic rationale for China to declare war on the US is due to the danger of the US controlling the vast oilfields of the middle east. China needs petroleum to fuel it's economic growth. An invasion of the middle east by the US would provoke China severely, and China may look to follow the example of the US' aggressive war mongering policies and take this opportunity to try to invade Taiwan, a pro-US nation/"renegade province". Bush has pledged to defend the island in 2000, and the invasion of Taiwan would draw the US in a confrontation with China.

A rationale for the US to invade China may lie in China's ownership of many foreign exchange reserves. If China floods the foreign exchange market this may lead to the collapse of the dollar and a banking/economic crisis in the US. In addition, many Asian banks are financing the US's current account deficit debt. Asian banks are holding many securities and debt securities (bonds) that if sold drastically in the market will plummet the value of these bonds and other types of notes and result in a very very big problem for US companies and the US government.

I need not say this but bf2 world with the advent of Armored Fury is very unrealistic. An MEC and China attack and victory against the US a very distant probability, as many foreign affairs analysts and people in politics, think tanks and in defense (military) would agree. The US spends more money on the military than the entire world combined. The world has not seen a comparable scale of the mobility of US forces in history. The ability to attack anywhere in the globe with precision guided munitions, global satellite intel, bases throughtout the world and aircraft carriers as well as high tech long range bombers is unprecedented.

Now I'm not a stereotypical redneck pro AMERICA american OMFG AMERICA RULLLEEEZZZZ AMERICA IS THE BEST WE OWN ALLLLL Bush supporter and conservative neo-imperialist. Even experts in foreign policy and military in all nations know the fact that the US military is by far a force to be reckoned with. TIME, NEWSWEEK, ECONOMIST, FP, numerous amounts of political books on the recent US neo-imperalist or mlitaristic policies, think tanks, government officials around the world acknowledge this fact. And certain people who harbor anti-americanism would point to some protoype unit that may be superior to the US equivalent but overall wouldn't win the war due to numbers, technology, intelligence and a high superiority of the US military units (that although in some catagories may not be the ABSOLUTE BEST, is still a high enough level that the US can make up for this deficiency by simply HAVING MORE of the less-than-best unit).

However, this is bf2, you are writing a bf2 story, and SOMEBODY had to tie up the ends.

I'm glad you did it because even with these few quirks I have about your story, I appreciate you writing it and spending the time and effort in it. The future stories about 2142 a bit sci fi, so who am I to comment on realism, but to appreciate the creativity you have brought in all your stories (bf2, 2142, SF).

I enjoyed reading the entire thing and I am proud to say, after a long read (lol) that I have actually read every word of it and looked at every picture.

In addition I absolutely love what you did with the graphics and the little 'extras' you put in like the maps, color coded superpower blocs, locations of battles and even the ice line! It's the little extra that makes a good story a great story

+1  good job man.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6588|Mountains of NC

Awesome - job
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Skorpy-chan
+127|6365|Twyford, UK

-]Eucalyptus[- wrote:

Bush would be insane to invade the massive China what with it's gigantic army just to 'get more oil'.
I agree. War on two fronts + land war in asia = epic stupidity.
znozer
Viking fool - Crazy SWE
+162|6564|Sverige (SWE)

jkohlc wrote:

sounds interesting

+1 for the good story...looking foward to more
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6638|InGerLand
very nice story +1
i wish i still had photoshop would be nice to try a bit of concept art for a type 31 Stalin tank
i mean this thing has potential not just to be a fantastic story but a brilliant thing of its own
i mean who wants to play 2142 karkand?
Talon
+341|6780
Battle for Belgrade up. Sorry for long delay. Been busy with exams and stuff. I'm gonna try and get to the end now.

Good story, I love how it's very in depth. If I may, I'd like to add some constructive criticism. I myself have written a story about BF2 and I appreciate constructive criticism, so I hope you do too.... Be that as it may, keep in mind that on the whole, I like your story.
Thank you for your criticism. I admit some of my story is a little unrealistic, but I don't have the experience you have - I'm 15. I like the Taiwan angle, and may incorporate that at a later date. However, with the release of Northern Strike coming soon I have a lot of work to do.

Last edited by Talon (2007-02-21 09:58:06)

norge
J-10 and a coke please
+18|6489
how come with all this concern about global warming that all futuristic shit is based in like arctic climate situations?  shouldnt we be fighting in like wake island type maps?
Talon
+341|6780
Little Competition - I need a name for the 2140 version of Operation Smoke Screen. Please start all titles with Operation
']['error
Banned
+630|6664|The Netherlands
lol a little story? that has costed you ages to write

+1 , i like it
Talon
+341|6780
I'm a very fast writer . It's the research that takes a while.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard