Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6764|UK

deeznutz1245 wrote:

They arent idiots. I was horrible in high school but had a 3.7 gpa in college. The reason they score low on tests/quizes is because they are preoccupied with trying to get laid. See that is what high school is really about. HS football, underage drinking and premarital sex. If you can balance all of those and still graduate then you are ready for college. In which case it tuns into College football, underage drinking and premarital sex. ..........wait a minute......OMG........When do we learn?????? Oh yeah its called the real world. School teaches us things and we will never use 85 percent of it. Just get through it.
Can i just ask what you do for a living?
Ratzinger
+43|6390|Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Education isn't to teach you what you need to know, it should teach you how to learn what you need to know.

Some people are so slow they have to go to university....
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6764|UK

Ratzinger wrote:

Education isn't to teach you what you need to know, it should teach you how to learn what you need to know.

Some people are so slow they have to go to university....
Yes ofcourse... and i suppose you are all knowing but decide to work in a burger bar because it uses your mind for great things...

Education is used to pass on knowledge that has been found out by others, making everyone who does physics at school discover all the phyical discoveries so far would take a tad bit too long, therefore these discoveries are passed onto them without them needing to dedicate their whole lifes to finding them themselves.
Ratzinger
Actually what I do is irrelevant.

Einstein was a clerk in a patent office.

I guess I jumped a step, but to clarify just for you, if I know how to find it, I can find it for myself.

I wasn't suggesting starting from first principles, but I thought that was obvious, sorry.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6764|UK

Ratzinger wrote:

Actually what I do is irrelevant.

Einstein was a clerk in a patent office.

I guess I jumped a step, but to clarify just for you, if I know how to find it, I can find it for myself.

I wasn't suggesting starting from first principles, but I thought that was obvious, sorry.
Yes and to even begin to understand any of the latest scientific discoveries you have to have knowledge that has been built up over the last 2000 years. Education is designed so you dont spend your whole life researching things that have already been discovered just so you understand them yourselves. I would also like to point out that you wouldnt be able to "find it" for yourself as someone who has done physics up to just before uni i can tell you some of the things are so complicated i didnt even understand them myself and thus am not doing a degree on physics.

What you do is highly relevant, you suggested that people who go to uni are slow, infact people who go to uni are the people with high IQs who have built up databases of knowledge in their head and can put that knowledge to use, people who dont go to uni generally did one of the follow:

1. Paid no attention in school.
2. Have naturally low IQs.
3. Live in a country where poor but smart people recieve no financial support.
Ratzinger
Of course, there may be the odd person of credible intellect, who chooses not to?

I think you're missing the point, you're still being taught to research and understand this previous work by others.

Will you admit the fact that some might manage without that assistance?

It really was just an offhand remark anyway...
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6517|Adelaide, South Australia

Vilham wrote:

people who go to uni are slow, infact people who go to uni are the people with high IQs
9/10ths of people with high IQ's will say that a high IQ means nothing.

not looking for an argument, just my .02c

Last edited by Fenris_GreyClaw (2006-10-28 04:56:05)

<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6700|New York

Miller wrote:

Well, this is mildy confusing to me.  But, ever since I started going to a public High School this year, it seems nearly everyone has a D average.  I think it's sad to see this as I am an all A student with a 4.0 right now.  I even have been going to a class just to watch what goes on.  In Algebra I have noticed, texting, sleeping, and talking is a favorite of students, and well, that goes for all classes.  In a program called AVID, your grades decide how much tutoring you get after school... I have 0 hours due for this week, though most students have on average about 2 hours due.  And some even have 7 hours due.  The way they tutor you is like this: A's and B's owe no time, C's owe thirty minutes, D's and F's an hour.  I think it is kind of sad to see all this crap in the public system... as my private school, most everyone was above 3.0, but it's just pathetic now.  There is one kid constantly goofing around, and when he says something trying to be funny or look smart, I will just blatantly say, "Your grades are showing otherwise." He'll get pissed and I will laugh.  The only reason he has an A in his science class is because, he cheats off of my test.  Though I have recently moved during two tests.  My grades were 96% and 94% on those, his were 73% and 77%.  Big difference.  Does anyone have any opinions on why we have such idiots in school now?
Ok heres my opinion, Im not an advocate of Public education. Have my reasons. Im also very against The No child left behind program. Its self deleating in itself. No child learns at the same rate as another thus teaching them the same material at the same rate produces the exact problems you speak of.

Another thing is, Public school teachers just dont care anymore. Honestly. My son, Sad to say, Hes not one of these Talkers, clowners and such, But hes Shy, and he is a child who doesnt do well in a timed Test setting. The same setting that this NCLB program is all about. He was left behind last year. I was never Once contacted last year about ANY concerns about his homework average or test scores. This was after repeated Calls to school and to teachers who assured me he would get the help he needed. I worked with him the later half of last year and he still was left behind. Ok fast foreward to this year. Same shit. I filled out TONS of papers with ALL my contact info, with notes on contacting me for ANY concerns on his work. Guess what.

Not ONE of his teachers have contacted me. He has a 61 in english(Not one note home or email). Sience 55 Not one email or note, NOTHING, he does great on quizes and such, but Late on some work and he wont answer in class, But Not one note or call concerning this to me. Gym, 55. Lastyear and every other year 95 average, New teacher took over (young ex marine, and now failing, teacher doesnt keep his school website up to date and wont call or write back. WTF. Were going to meet eye to eye next week. Not good for him. I mean whats his problem? My Kid doesnt play sports, hes not good enough for his class? Hes got more important things to do, like hang out with his old man and Do out door sports. Maybe this guy is a treehugger, and again, if thats the case i REALLY feel sorry for him.

So My take on it is, Teachers are overloaded and dont give a shit. Kids generally dont give a shit neither. The whole system is broke, and until this no child left behind agenda is dropped and teachers can get back to teaching on a personal level, it will remain broke.

Public education isnt a right, its a privledge, one paid for by others tax dollars. But its a broken system, one that if not fixed, is a waste of money and time.

Harry
jonsimon
+224|6493
Public education is not a national issue. It is a district issue. If you have had, or are having poor experiences with a public school, your district has a problem. Again, this is not a federal issue, and the feds should not be involved at all.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6764|UK

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

Vilham wrote:

people who go to uni are slow, infact people who go to uni are the people with high IQs
9/10ths of people with high IQ's will say that a high IQ means nothing.

not looking for an argument, just my .02c
personally i believe having a higher IQ helps greatly with problem solving and the ability to put your knowledge to use.

And Ratzinger.

Ofcourse it passes on the ability to learn by yourself that is what uni is all about, you dont get anything fed to you on a plate and it involves at least 1/2 practical, but saying people who go to uni are slow is just blatently not true.
jonsimon
+224|6493

Vilham wrote:

personally i believe having a higher IQ helps greatly with problem solving and the ability to put your knowledge to use.
Having a higher IQ does nothing for you. However, being smarter, which a higher IQ is intended to indicate, is quite a boon.
Vampira_NB
Trying is the first step to failing
+76|6671|Canada Eh?
I like how you're basing that off the one public school out of god knows how many in North America, Nice generalizing douche
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6641
public education is a fucking joke, especially here in california.  If the Pasadena Unified School District had their way, I would be working at McDonalds or some other remdial job living the life of a stereotype.  They just push you through the doors with no real skills for life.  Im glad I dropped out in the 11th grade and joined the army.  The California HighSchool Profiency Exam was the easiest test I ever took and it gave me a diploma worth 4 years of free "education".  best believe once i finally decide to settle down and become a family man im sending my kids to private school.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6753|United States of America

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

Miller wrote:

Well, this is mildy confusing to me.  But, ever since I started going to a public High School this year, it seems nearly everyone has a D average.  I think it's sad to see this as I am an all A student with a 4.0 right now.  I even have been going to a class just to watch what goes on.  In Algebra I have noticed, texting, sleeping, and talking is a favorite of students, and well, that goes for all classes.  In a program called AVID, your grades decide how much tutoring you get after school... I have 0 hours due for this week, though most students have on average about 2 hours due.  And some even have 7 hours due.  The way they tutor you is like this: A's and B's owe no time, C's owe thirty minutes, D's and F's an hour.  I think it is kind of sad to see all this crap in the public system... as my private school, most everyone was above 3.0, but it's just pathetic now.  There is one kid constantly goofing around, and when he says something trying to be funny or look smart, I will just blatantly say, "Your grades are showing otherwise." He'll get pissed and I will laugh.  The only reason he has an A in his science class is because, he cheats off of my test.  Though I have recently moved during two tests.  My grades were 96% and 94% on those, his were 73% and 77%.  Big difference.  Does anyone have any opinions on why we have such idiots in school now?
Ok heres my opinion, Im not an advocate of Public education. Have my reasons. Im also very against The No child left behind program. Its self deleating in itself. No child learns at the same rate as another thus teaching them the same material at the same rate produces the exact problems you speak of.

Another thing is, Public school teachers just dont care anymore. Honestly. My son, Sad to say, Hes not one of these Talkers, clowners and such, But hes Shy, and he is a child who doesnt do well in a timed Test setting. The same setting that this NCLB program is all about. He was left behind last year. I was never Once contacted last year about ANY concerns about his homework average or test scores. This was after repeated Calls to school and to teachers who assured me he would get the help he needed. I worked with him the later half of last year and he still was left behind. Ok fast foreward to this year. Same shit. I filled out TONS of papers with ALL my contact info, with notes on contacting me for ANY concerns on his work. Guess what.

Not ONE of his teachers have contacted me. He has a 61 in english(Not one note home or email). Sience 55 Not one email or note, NOTHING, he does great on quizes and such, but Late on some work and he wont answer in class, But Not one note or call concerning this to me. Gym, 55. Lastyear and every other year 95 average, New teacher took over (young ex marine, and now failing, teacher doesnt keep his school website up to date and wont call or write back. WTF. Were going to meet eye to eye next week. Not good for him. I mean whats his problem? My Kid doesnt play sports, hes not good enough for his class? Hes got more important things to do, like hang out with his old man and Do out door sports. Maybe this guy is a treehugger, and again, if thats the case i REALLY feel sorry for him.

So My take on it is, Teachers are overloaded and dont give a shit. Kids generally dont give a shit neither. The whole system is broke, and until this no child left behind agenda is dropped and teachers can get back to teaching on a personal level, it will remain broke.

Public education isnt a right, its a privledge, one paid for by others tax dollars. But its a broken system, one that if not fixed, is a waste of money and time.

Harry
I am in the Newport Mesa School District.  It seems well funded and has plenty of teachers and programs that are suppose to help you.  I heard that our homecoming dance had 10,000 dollars spent on it... So I began to think.  What could that have gone to that is more useful? Anwser: Just about everything.  I've noticed this past week, everyone is so caught up in their life outside of school and don't care about anything else.  Since I've made this thread I actually cracked down a lot more on what I will and won't help the other student in my science class with.  There have been times, multiple times, where we will be given a sheet of paper with questions on it, and have to fill it out for homework.  This kid, just doesn't seem to get it through his head that we were given the anwsers a minute ago when taking notes. So, I will just say, look at your notes, should have the anwsers. He'll yet again, get pissed, because, he doesn't take notes even when told to. 

His problems are A: Not caring B: Constantly goofing off C: Caring more about his football practice than grades.  Ever since I have stopped helping him with anything that should be easy to know as we have gone  over it tons of times, his grades have slipped even farther.  He isn't an average C student.  He is an average D and C student with an F in one unnamed class.  If I were his football coach I would have kicked him out, and if I were his teachers, I would assign mandatory tutoring, otherwise the punishment would be detentions and saturday school.

I haven't seen this thread since I made it, geez, it's huge.

Last edited by Miller (2006-10-28 09:53:06)

jonsimon
+224|6493

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

public education is a fucking joke, especially here in california.  If the Pasadena Unified School District had their way, I would be working at McDonalds or some other remdial job living the life of a stereotype.  They just push you through the doors with no real skills for life.  Im glad I dropped out in the 11th grade and joined the army.  The California HighSchool Profiency Exam was the easiest test I ever took and it gave me a diploma worth 4 years of free "education".  best believe once i finally decide to settle down and become a family man im sending my kids to private school.
Obviously the whole country must be that bad, too.
jonsimon
+224|6493

Miller wrote:

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

Miller wrote:

Harry
I am in the Newport Mesa School District.  It seems well funded and has plenty of teachers and programs that are suppose to help you.  I heard that our homecoming dance had 10,000 dollars spent on it... So I began to think.  What could that have gone to that is more useful? Anwser: Just about everything.  I've noticed this past week, everyone is so caught up in their life outside of school and don't care about anything else.  Since I've made this thread I actually cracked down a lot more on what I will and won't help the other student in my science class with.  There have been times, multiple times, where we will be given a sheet of paper with questions on it, and have to fill it out for homework.  This kid, just doesn't seem to get it through his head that we were given the anwsers a minute ago when taking notes. So, I will just say, look at your notes, should have the anwsers. He'll yet again, get pissed, because, he doesn't take notes even when told to. 

His problems are A: Not caring B: Constantly goofing off C: Caring more about his football practice than grades.  Ever since I have stopped helping him with anything that should be easy to know as we have gone  over it tons of times, his grades have slipped even farther.  He isn't an average C student.  He is an average D and C student with an F in one unnamed class.  If I were his football coach I would have kicked him out, and if I were his teachers, I would assign mandatory tutoring, otherwise the punishment would be detentions and saturday school.

I haven't seen this thread since I made it, geez, it's huge.
Generally dances are funded by the kids. So that money wouldn't have gone anywhere better, in fact, if it weren't for the dance, that money probably wouldn't have been raised. I think you're way too critical, high school grades don't matter outside of which college you go to, or if you don't attend college, where you can get work immediately. If he can't keep a C average he probably should be kicked off the team, if your school doesn't have that policy maybe you should bring it up. Really, introducing stricter rules will not motivate kids to learn, it will only cause resistence and friction. There will always be the half that doesn't care, its not worth it to worry yourself over them.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6641

jonsimon wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

cant speak for the whole country.  just my own personal experiences.  im not retarded enough to generalize.
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6700|New York

jonsimon wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

If you read Most of the studies and reports, then YES it is. Every since the no student left behind program, Teachers are no longer able to taylor there classes to meet the expectations of the teacher or the students, Thus the students suffer. Find me one teacher that says public education is better off now, and ill find you 20 more that will say the complete opposite and back it up. Believe me bro, im very into this because its effecting me and my family on a very personal level, I keep up on this on a local and national level. Its a truely sad state we are in right now. When you have an overwhelming majority of teachers and administrators screaming that something that was implimanted is ruining the system, and nothing is being done about it, yet they said it would be a bad idea, Then dont you think theres something Very wrong?

Again, The NCLB System is being abused, it was never intended to evaluate a student at a singeled out level, but to basically grade the whole school, BUT schools are abuseing this system to use the standardized testing to Grade individual students on there final grades, thus keeping them back a grade so as to generate more money for there school for the headcount. Its not suppose to be used this way yet schools are doing so and gettign away with it. No two kids are alike, and to make them ALL learn alike is just out of the realm of logical thinking. But yet thats what we have going on in our public school system Nation wide.
jonsimon
+224|6493

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

jonsimon wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

If you read Most of the studies and reports, then YES it is. Every since the no student left behind program, Teachers are no longer able to taylor there classes to meet the expectations of the teacher or the students, Thus the students suffer. Find me one teacher that says public education is better off now, and ill find you 20 more that will say the complete opposite and back it up. Believe me bro, im very into this because its effecting me and my family on a very personal level, I keep up on this on a local and national level. Its a truely sad state we are in right now. When you have an overwhelming majority of teachers and administrators screaming that something that was implimanted is ruining the system, and nothing is being done about it, yet they said it would be a bad idea, Then dont you think theres something Very wrong?

Again, The NCLB System is being abused, it was never intended to evaluate a student at a singeled out level, but to basically grade the whole school, BUT schools are abuseing this system to use the standardized testing to Grade individual students on there final grades, thus keeping them back a grade so as to generate more money for there school for the headcount. Its not suppose to be used this way yet schools are doing so and gettign away with it. No two kids are alike, and to make them ALL learn alike is just out of the realm of logical thinking. But yet thats what we have going on in our public school system Nation wide.
Ah, I don't know much about NCLB, and I wouldn't dispute anything you just said. I just don't like it when people attack public schooling in general, when my district is great.
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6490|Connecticut

Vilham wrote:

deeznutz1245 wrote:

They arent idiots. I was horrible in high school but had a 3.7 gpa in college. The reason they score low on tests/quizes is because they are preoccupied with trying to get laid. See that is what high school is really about. HS football, underage drinking and premarital sex. If you can balance all of those and still graduate then you are ready for college. In which case it tuns into College football, underage drinking and premarital sex. ..........wait a minute......OMG........When do we learn?????? Oh yeah its called the real world. School teaches us things and we will never use 85 percent of it. Just get through it.
Asset Protection Executive. Why?
Malloy must go
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6764|UK

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Vilham wrote:

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Asset Protection Executive. Why?
Because you talk about just getting through school, ie doesnt realy matter what you learn or the grades you get as long as you manage to scrape through and that mentality is exactly why you get those kids who grow up to work in Burger King for their whole lives. So i was asking to check if you were one of those people with that mentality, i can see you are not but i bet if you had got all A's in what ever qualification you get in America and then went to uni you would be getting paid a hell of a lot more with a realy good job. Im not sayin that your job isnt already good but everyone can improve on their job tbh.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6553
Prıvate schoolıng ın Ireland ıs practıcally non-exıstent and yet we are one of the best-educated countrıes ın Europe, contınuıng to attract large hı-tech multınatıonals to our shores. Maybe you shouldn't be sayıng 'publıc educatıon ıs crap' maybe you should be thınkıng about how you fıx the publıc schoolıng system because ıt can be VERY VERY successful when run properly.
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6700|New York

CameronPoe wrote:

Prıvate schoolıng ın Ireland ıs practıcally non-exıstent and yet we are one of the best-educated countrıes ın Europe, contınuıng to attract large hı-tech multınatıonals to our shores. Maybe you shouldn't be sayıng 'publıc educatıon ıs crap' maybe you should be thınkıng about how you fıx the publıc schoolıng system because ıt can be VERY VERY successful when run properly.
THATS exactly my point. Its Crap and needs to be fixed and the Rule or standardized Program of "No Child Left Behind' (Kids being taught the same stuff at the SAME pace no matter what) Implimented by GW has broken it even more. When the vast majority of teachers and Administrators agree with this assesment, then theres a problem. So Fix it. SInce this was adopted they have been screaming to drop it, yet GW wont. Its dragging school systems and students down into an abyss. The intention was noble, but the implimentation is all WRONG.

Last edited by <[onex]>Headstone (2006-10-28 13:22:47)

Ratzinger
I think we got apples and oranges here.

Some talking about public education in Britain, and some about USA.

I've got no hard facts, but if I was guessing which was better.....

I believe most Poms can find their country on a map......
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6687|Tampa Bay Florida
My high school has a D average.  It's pathetic, really......

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard