SodaBob
+-1|6841|Indiana, US

./KRUX wrote:

Im not a hunter either but i doubt anyone would think a .223 would take a deer down.
.223 cal (aka 5.56mm) is the minimum allowed by law in many states for deer hunting, so that it can take down deer.  It's just not as effective, but generally if you get a good shot it will take care of the job;  however, you might have a situation where even a great shot still allows the deer to run off aways before dropping.

I personally consider 7.62x39 (the round the SKS, AK and related rifles use), or any similarly powered round, as the minimum.
FeloniousMonk
+0|6733

SodaBob wrote:

Womansbikeseat wrote:

hunting for fun is for pussies, THE GAME DOESN'T EVEN KNOW ITS BEING HUNTED, wtf try hunting your buddies around and shoot yourselves in the ass. Next time your out there, sneak up on bambi and wrestle it to the ground and beat it to death or stab with a pocket knife, maybe then you'll feel like a complete man.
First of all, you underestimate the intelligence of deer (for example), my friend.

But beyond that, unless you're a vegetarian or a vegan (see below), YOU are an even bigger p*ssy, because you do what I call "hunting by proxy".  You pay the butcher or grocery store for meat that someone else killed and butchered for you.  Just because you don't physically take part in the killing, doesn't mean you aren't responsible for it.  Talk about weak.  Now I have no problem with people who eat meat but don't hunt, unless you complain about hunters while eating your Big Mac.

Now, if you're a vegetarian or a vegan, then at least you have a leg to stand on in this argument.  You can at least argue that "hunting" is evil, because you neither hunt yourself nor hunt by proxy by purchasing meat at the store.  However, as Benjamin Franklin observed during his short stint as a vegetarian, (I paraphrase here) if fish can eat other fish, how can eating meat be wrong?  Or as "Uncle" Ted Nugent would say, (again, paraphrased) "If God didn't want us to eat meat, why did he make it taste so good?"

Bob.
Vegetarianism is grossly unnatural.
FeloniousMonk
+0|6733

SodaBob wrote:

./KRUX wrote:

Im not a hunter either but i doubt anyone would think a .223 would take a deer down.
.223 cal (aka 5.56mm) is the minimum allowed by law in many states for deer hunting, so that it can take down deer.  It's just not as effective, but generally if you get a good shot it will take care of the job;  however, you might have a situation where even a great shot still allows the deer to run off aways before dropping.

I personally consider 7.62x39 (the round the SKS, AK and related rifles use), or any similarly powered round, as the minimum.
screw that, next time I go hunting I'm bringing a .50ae desert eagle ^_^
SodaBob
+-1|6841|Indiana, US

FeloniousMonk wrote:

SodaBob wrote:

./KRUX wrote:

screw that, next time I go hunting I'm bringing a .50ae desert eagle ^_^
If you're a good shot with a handgun, that's a perfectly reasonable round for deer hunting, lots of people do it.

Bob.
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6841|Waikato, Aotearoa
ahh yes - pig hunting using nothing but a knife. now THATS real hunting
try facing 100+kgs of pure enraged muscle & tusks that will rip u apart like a chainsaw thru butter.
pig hunting in aussie/nzl DEFINATELY seperates the men from the girls
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6778|Great Brown North

Womansbikeseat wrote:

hunting for fun is for pussies, THE GAME DOESN'T EVEN KNOW ITS BEING HUNTED, wtf try hunting your buddies around and shoot yourselves in the ass. Next time your out there, sneak up on bambi and wrestle it to the ground and beat it to death or stab with a pocket knife, maybe then you'll feel like a complete man.
the animal isnt supposed to know you're there, this is where the skill of the hunter comes in...
EnZym3
+0|6677
Assault rifles are designed to bring large volumes of fire on a target (not necessaily in a pin point accurate fashion). This is called fire superiority. You don't need fire superiority when hunting. If you can't hit the game in one shot stay at home.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6734|Salt Lake City

What the government had often termed an assault rifle really wasn't.  These so called assault rifles had counterparts in a more traditional stock design.  The so called assault weapons were only cosmetically different than the so called "standard hunting rifles" that were right next to them on the rack.

Quite honestly, I don't think a .223 is that bad for deer hunting.  I certainly wouldn't think it appropriate for anything larger, but when I used my 30-06 for dear I always used 125gr or smaller rounds.  Anything more destroys too much of the meat...that cuts into my dear jerky volume, and you don't want to be cutting into my dear jerky volume.
Jobarra
+0|6679

EnZym3 wrote:

Assault rifles are designed to bring large volumes of fire on a target (not necessaily in a pin point accurate fashion). This is called fire superiority. You don't need fire superiority when hunting. If you can't hit the game in one shot stay at home.
Actually, they are supposed to bring it on target in a reasonably pinpoint fashion.  That's why most of them now have a 3shot burst instead of only a full auto option.  That is the case at least for the US military IIRC.  The soldiers were firing full auto and not doing a bit of good even in a suppressive role.  With the 3 shot burst, they can land all the rounds fairly close together.  Granted, I've never been hunting before, but I would imagine a 3 shot burst would be better than a single shot with the weaker rounds.  Of course, I imagine part of the thrill of hunting is to take down the game in one shot, which is why hunters use the higher caliber sniper... oops... hunting rifles.  Bow hunting is real skill I think as you need to be both hidden from the prey as well as get close enough and be accurate enough with the arrow.  However, if my family was hungry, I wouldn't care what I used.  That animal is going to be dead .  An assault rifle is just more versatile than a hunting rifle.  I would rather have an assault rifle if I had a bear charging me.  Yeah, a few rounds aren't going to do much to it, but I bet 30 will make it think twice
ghostgr
177th Field Artillery
+39|6739|In your head
I hunt.
I have a .30-06 SAvage rifle. And assault rifles are fine with me. Here read this---->
AWbansunset.com

Go to that site and read all about it. That is what assault rifles are and everything.
freebirdpat
Base Rapist
+5|6751
Thing is Assault rifles the ones allowed in America, are all single-shot, and the magazines are limited to only a couple rounds, the same limit as the high-end rifles. At least for hunting.

I would rather have a pump shotgun to be honest if a bear was charging me. The again, I don't get into situations where a bear would have the oppurtunity to charge me.

And to be honest hunting with a burst fire or full-auto would be throwing more lead at a target than needs to be thrown. Now if we are talking about the single shot assualt rifle replicas, I still would have to go with a bolt action or a shotgun on hunting. Assault rifles(single shot), are for fun, not exactly something I would hunt with.

and earlier in this thread the whole topic of what assault rifles has already been covered.

And I hate to say it but womensbikerseat has a point. If I knew a man that could hunt a deer with a pocket knife, they are definitely the better hunter and more experienced and patient than I am. But man has always made and used tools to kill animals for food. The gun is just a bigger version of a spear or bow and arrow.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714
if u know what u were doing, u can mod ur gun into full auto
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
freebirdpat
Base Rapist
+5|6751

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

same could be said of making an atomic bomb, if you know what you are doing you could make one. I think this topic was covered elsewhere or in this thread where you need specific equipment to modify something to be full-auto, and if you have that equipment you essentially can make a fracking fully automatic gun already, and the equipment probably requires licensing. And it is illegal to mod a gun into full-auto anyhow. You could mod lots of semi-auto guns that are legal out there into full auto, if you had the equipment of course. And as far as I know, anyone that owns a fully automatic gun in the US with proper licenses has never committed a crime with it.

So converting a semi-auto to full-auto is difficult, and is a federal felony.

Two of the features of that made a gun an assault weapon according to the AWB was: Grenade Launcher, and Bayonet Lug. All the AWB did was ban scary looking hollywood weapons.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6734|Salt Lake City

freebirdpat wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

same could be said of making an atomic bomb, if you know what you are doing you could make one. I think this topic was covered elsewhere or in this thread where you need specific equipment to modify something to be full-auto, and if you have that equipment you essentially can make a fracking fully automatic gun already, and the equipment probably requires licensing. And it is illegal to mod a gun into full-auto anyhow. You could mod lots of semi-auto guns that are legal out there into full auto, if you had the equipment of course. And as far as I know, anyone that owns a fully automatic gun in the US with proper licenses has never committed a crime with it.

So converting a semi-auto to full-auto is difficult, and is a federal felony.

Two of the features of that made a gun an assault weapon according to the AWB was: Grenade Launcher, and Bayonet Lug. All the AWB did was ban scary looking hollywood weapons.
A 3rd year engineering student could build the mechanical part of a nuclear weapon.  They would only lack the enriched, weapons grade uranium.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard