Dex Luther
+32|6439|Canukastan

a_fraudulent_miracle wrote:

I'm not sure why people are so razzed up about in-game ads. If anyone has played SWAT4 multiplayer, you'll notice there are a lot of ads in there, both real and fake. Has my computer been attacked with malicious spyware? NO, it hasn't. Did the ads ruin the gameplay? Of course not.  I'm not sure when the ads in 2142  will start kicking in for me, because i haven't seen any yet. Advertisements are a part of America. We are a capitalist country. If you don't like Ads, don't even turn on your TV, don't access the internet,  don't listen to the radio, don't read any magazines, just stay inside your house.
And don't look out your window.

I agree with who ever said they'll add a bit of realism to the game.

Last edited by Dex Luther (2006-10-25 21:37:37)

ZombieDog[p7]
+0|6708
A few points...

The ads are in yet, most likely because they are collecting usage info (game population and the like) to figure out what they can charge for ads.

EA says that this is anonymous with this system being essentially a head count of users, but would you be comfortable if it weren't?  All it takes is a access to the ip data the ad service collects and the ip data that could be collected from the EA master server to create personalized ads ingame and to the email account you registered and possibly in US mail if you included that in your registration.

Does the ingame ad system bother me, not enough to not play it.  Possibly enough that I will look into blocking them.  It's a good game, a good effort to take the BF2 engine and iron out alot of the balance issues that were annoying in BF2.   And get over the people complaining...  You can always change the "channel" so to speak.
Dex Luther
+32|6439|Canukastan

ZombieDog[p7] wrote:

A few points...

The ads are in yet, most likely because they are collecting usage info (game population and the like) to figure out what they can charge for ads.

EA says that this is anonymous with this system being essentially a head count of users, but would you be comfortable if it weren't?  All it takes is a access to the ip data the ad service collects and the ip data that could be collected from the EA master server to create personalized ads ingame and to the email account you registered and possibly in US mail if you included that in your registration.
You can say that about a lot of places on the internet (if not all).
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6648|Peoria
What I wanna know is, what are you guys gonna do when ads are in EVERY GAME! This is going to a common occurance in EVERY decent game within a few years.
a_fraudulent_miracle
+7|6717|MoVal, Southern California
Ads are already EVERYWHERE. I think in moderation, it won't be distracting in game.
THESAVAGE1
+6|6455
tefIOn wrote "If you hate capitalism, you must hate America.

And if you hate America, then the terrorists have already won."

Brilliant reasoning. Your logic is infallible. A typically american attitude - you're with us or against us!

"there's a slip inside" means you've already bought the game and opened it before you find out there's in-game advertising.
Interestingly though, under UK law, you can still return the game if you want because this information is not on the outside of the packaging. I don't think this applies in the US though.

Just for the record, any retailer that refuses to refund you if you decided to return the game at this point is acting illegally.

Have a read of this: http://www.oft.gov.uk/Consumer/Your+Rig … +goods.htm
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6599|Cheshire. UK

tefI0n wrote:

Here's the thing you boycotting suckas don't get. Hundereds of thousands of people will play this game. The game will be bought for $50, pretty traditional exchange. Now take for example, World of Warcraft. Pay $50, and then $15 a month JUST TO BE ABLE TO PLAY IT. You can make the ranked servers arguement, but 1) EA is not seeing much of those revenues, it goes mostly to the service providers and actual hosting companies, and 2) 99% of people who play BF2142 will never drop a god damned cent on a ranked server, you will just play the pubbies.

If anything, you should be grateful it's not a pay-to-play game. The P2P model has seen increased success in the past few years, and I'm sure it'd be successful with a FPS. The only way to keep good revenue rolling in after launch is by having someone (in this case, advertisers) pay up.

This is also going to move EA to keep people on the servers, and thus, I expect better patching this time around, otherwise they'll lose advertising dollars for sticking their thumb up the ass of what could be their easiest cash cow yet. The investment has been made: BF2142 has been released. By putting a small amount of maintenance in it, they can keep a viable source of income coming in for years, if they want.

And I seriously hope none of you boycott suckas is a waiter by profession. Not wanting ads is like not tipping after a meal. Yeah, you payed the full price, but these days the full price doesn't cover everything. The last time blockbuster game was less than $50 on launch is longer than I can remember, and input costs are rising.

Suck it up, and if you live in America, throw up a cheer for capitalism. It's enterprising minds finding a way to increase revenues without damaging the value to the consumer. EVERYONE wins. If you don't like BF2142 for the ads, you must hate capitalism.

If you hate capitalism, you must hate America.

And if you hate America, then the terrorists have already won.

joker3327 wrote:

This is not about the Ads this is about the consumer and your rights ..or the way in which they have been disregarded to make money....
Are you even familiar with the Consumer's Bill of Rights? They've done nothing to violate it. And at the end of the day, caveat emptor.

And if you say "The Right To Be Informed," I'll donkey punch you. There is a slip inside that states that by installing you give express consent. It's packaged with the product. Thus, you're informed.
Donkey Punch....lol....fucking good way to debate ...anyway I would knock you clean out!!!!!   and to see the slip inside you have to pay you dumb fuck!  Can you fuckin read......
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6469

THESAVAGE1 wrote:

tefIOn wrote "If you hate capitalism, you must hate America.

And if you hate America, then the terrorists have already won."

Brilliant reasoning. Your logic is infallible. A typically american attitude - you're with us or against us!

"there's a slip inside" means you've already bought the game and opened it before you find out there's in-game advertising.
Interestingly though, under UK law, you can still return the game if you want because this information is not on the outside of the packaging. I don't think this applies in the US though.

Just for the record, any retailer that refuses to refund you if you decided to return the game at this point is acting illegally.

Have a read of this: http://www.oft.gov.uk/Consumer/Your+Rig … +goods.htm
Yeah but unless you were living under a rock you would have heard about the adds from some were on the internetS. And I have bought many games with adds in 'em and BF2142 was the only one where the publisher brought the adds to attention.

Oh teflon on your "If you hate in game adds you support terrorism" you get +1.
Zefar
+116|6650|Sweden
Ok, so you ain't gonna buy the game because of the ads. Fine, but why bother posting about it? It's not like EA going "OH LOOK WE GONNA LOOSE ONE CUSTOMER AGAIN, DROP THE FRICKING ADS NOW" I'm sure they are bloody aware of that people ain't gonna like this but then again loads of people still like the game and some pesky ads ain't gonna stop them from having fun.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard