BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6752|Chicago.
Some actual laws for Immigration into Mexico:

You have to speak the native language.
Must be a professional/investor in some sort of business/craft.
No bi-lingual programs will be provided for you.
No special ballots for elections.
No government business will be conducted in "your" language.
Foreigners will not have the right to vote or hold political office.
You cannot be a burden to tax payers.
No welfare/food stamps/other government handouts.
Land purchases will be restricted.
As a foreigner, you have to relinquish individual rights to said property.
No rights to protest/no demonstrations.
Illegal enterance to the country is equal to jail time.

Interesting stuff, no?

Last edited by BigmacK (2006-10-24 19:02:51)

Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6757|United States of America
Sounds like fun to move to the US doesn't it?
eyesteponbabies
Banned
+13|6432|St.Louis, Missouri
What's next? ...Spanish taco bell?
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
I can't wait for a spanish Starbucks!
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6776|Noizyland

lowing wrote:

Be disgusted all you want...........It doesn't compare to the disgust I have for immigrants, legal and illegal, that come here and don't even bother to learn the language of the land. Instead they EXPECT US to accommodate them!
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
Wow. How very noble. Shame it isn't true any more, I'm not even sure if it ever was.

Why can't you accomodate them? What is the matter with an advertisement in another language here, or an episode of miming what you want from a spanish-speaking store owner? What does it matter, in fact it adds a bit of interest to life.
You see America as your country which is justified, yet your vision of an American is someone who speaks english. That is the prinicple characteristic as I understand it for the purposes of this debate. Each country has an official language, but include a few others for good measure. you ca only have one official language of course, but in the Encyclopaedia Geographica the US lists about six 'other' languages. Spanish is at the top of that list. That would lead me to believe that somone who speaks something other than english is still an American.

I don't think it's disgust you feel towards the immigrants Iowing, it's fear. You don't want them 'taking over', you're scared that since they are showing Spanish ads on TV that the time is near when Immigrants will take over the country.
Well don't worry your little red neck about it. Statistics show at the moment that out of all the Spanish speakers in the USA, (which amounts to roughly 10% of the population - note this is everyone who can speak Spanish, not necesarily immigrants,) just ten percent of this, (amounting to about one percent of the population,) do not speak english at all, with the number shrinking all the time as immigrants try to fit in with their new country. To tell the truth, the very great majority of the countries in the world have more residents who do no speak te 'official' language than the US.

Back to Chevy's ad - well, looking at the statistics there was really no need to advertise in Spanish, but the reaction it got showing the fear of immigrants is startling. It won't work well for Chevy no doubt, but that isn't the issue. Americans somtimes get uptight about having the largest spanish-speaking country in the world. We in New Zealand are the largest Polynesian country in the world, both in people and language. The biggest Polynesian city in the world is Aukland NZ. We have ads in polynesian languages and you know what? Nothing has gone wrong. Polynesians havn't taken over the country nor have the any plans to. All they want to do is fit in with their new country and help it as much as they can. This is helped by the rest of my country being as accomodating as possible.

Immigrants are not bad for a country, even if they decide to keep their culture and language without really integrating themselves with the locals. Many people choose to do that, which can be harmful to them rather than society. You feel upset that you have to accomodate them Iowing, but you should accomodate them! You'll find it's mutual, if you decide to accomodate them they will most likely become more "americanised" and then perhaps fit your view of an American person.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
jonsimon
+224|6496

lowing wrote:

Watching the 3rd game of the world series........Did anyone else notice the commercial for Chevy trucks......In Spainish??!!!!
I almost laughed out loud.  And then they ran it again.
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6695|San Francisco
America does not have a national language.  We've never legislated that English was the primary language of our country; it only so happened that our forefathers spoke English and thusly all of those in the government spoke it as well.

Any advertisements are free to go as long as you have the money for the spot and the time to make them.  It comes down to demographics and spheres of influence in your area.  I could make a commercial entirely in Italian and get it up and running on a National network if I had enough money to do so...

Cry me a river and call the wahhhmbulance if you can't accept the fact that there are other languages spoken in this country...
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6502|Los Angeles

lowing wrote:

Watching the 3rd game of the world series........Did anyone else notice the commercial for Chevy trucks......In Spainish??!!!!
Meh. Old news. This is the third World Series where Chevy has placed ads in Spanish. That's just good business. When you look at a pie chart and see that 13% of new purchases are coming from one single demographic that no one else is touching, you're going to kill to own that demo.

It's shit like this that makes me proud to be American and proud of our capitalist society. Nothing breaks down barriers quite like a fat, juicy demographic that consumer product companies can target. People can grumble about this kind of thing until the cows come home, but nothing is going to stand in the way of someone turning a higher margin.

I swear, 500 years from now we'll look back at the United States and even the world itself and note that although there were a damn lot of great people who helped to bring about great positive changes in society, the good old invisible hand of the market is going to end up pretty damn deserving of its own Nobel Peace Prize.
Chou
+737|6792

Ty wrote:

lowing wrote:

Be disgusted all you want...........It doesn't compare to the disgust I have for immigrants, legal and illegal, that come here and don't even bother to learn the language of the land. Instead they EXPECT US to accommodate them!
Wow. How very noble. Shame it isn't true any more, I'm not even sure if it ever was.

Why can't you accomodate them? What is the matter with an advertisement in another language here, or an episode of miming what you want from a spanish-speaking store owner? What does it matter, in fact it adds a bit of interest to life.
You see America as your country which is justified, yet your vision of an American is someone who speaks english. That is the prinicple characteristic as I understand it for the purposes of this debate. Each country has an official language, but include a few others for good measure. you ca only have one official language of course, but in the Encyclopaedia Geographica the US lists about six 'other' languages. Spanish is at the top of that list. That would lead me to believe that somone who speaks something other than english is still an American.

I don't think it's disgust you feel towards the immigrants Iowing, it's fear. You don't want them 'taking over', you're scared that since they are showing Spanish ads on TV that the time is near when Immigrants will take over the country.
Well don't worry your little red neck about it. Statistics show at the moment that out of all the Spanish speakers in the USA, (which amounts to roughly 10% of the population - note this is everyone who can speak Spanish, not necesarily immigrants,) just ten percent of this, (amounting to about one percent of the population,) do not speak english at all, with the number shrinking all the time as immigrants try to fit in with their new country. To tell the truth, the very great majority of the countries in the world have more residents who do no speak te 'official' language than the US.

Back to Chevy's ad - well, looking at the statistics there was really no need to advertise in Spanish, but the reaction it got showing the fear of immigrants is startling. It won't work well for Chevy no doubt, but that isn't the issue. Americans somtimes get uptight about having the largest spanish-speaking country in the world. We in New Zealand are the largest Polynesian country in the world, both in people and language. The biggest Polynesian city in the world is Aukland NZ. We have ads in polynesian languages and you know what? Nothing has gone wrong. Polynesians havn't taken over the country nor have the any plans to. All they want to do is fit in with their new country and help it as much as they can. This is helped by the rest of my country being as accomodating as possible.

Immigrants are not bad for a country, even if they decide to keep their culture and language without really integrating themselves with the locals. Many people choose to do that, which can be harmful to them rather than society. You feel upset that you have to accomodate them Iowing, but you should accomodate them! You'll find it's mutual, if you decide to accomodate them they will most likely become more "americanised" and then perhaps fit your view of an American person.
Unity has become an illusion
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Ty wrote:

lowing wrote:

Great post.........However, I am not afraid of being "taken over".........I am pissed at the complete and utter lack of respect and indifference this new wave of immigrants show their newly adopted country.

Also the immigrants that sailed in under the quote on the Statue of Liberty, did, in fact, become citizens, learned the language and became AMERICANS.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!

Ty wrote:

lowing wrote:

Hmmm, no.  There are spanish channels for a reason.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Marconius wrote:

America does not have a national language.  We've never legislated that English was the primary language of our country; it only so happened that our forefathers spoke English and thusly all of those in the government spoke it as well.

Any advertisements are free to go as long as you have the money for the spot and the time to make them.  It comes down to demographics and spheres of influence in your area.  I could make a commercial entirely in Italian and get it up and running on a National network if I had enough money to do so...

Cry me a river and call the wahhhmbulance if you can't accept the fact that there are other languages spoken in this country...
Nice of you to come crawling out of the woodwork.....see my post above for the reason I don't like it.

I have no idea since the only other countries I have been to are Korea and Okinawa, Japan. Do they show commercials in in English, where English is NOT the language of the land??
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6723|Eastern PA

lowing wrote:

Marconius wrote:

Nice of you to come crawling out of the woodwork.....see my post above for the reason I don't like it.

I have no idea since the only other countries I have been to are Korea and Okinawa, Japan. Do they show commercials in in English, where English is NOT the language of the land??
Sometimes.
CackNBallz
+45|6744|Toronto, Canada

kilgoretrout wrote:

that's what we get for not having a national language.  we're really turning from a melting pot into a salad bowl, to use the cheesy term that i heard in a politics class.
How about a tossed salad?
JP3
+8|6671|Grammar Land

Naughty_Om wrote:

Ty wrote:

It's amazing how people kid themselves how tolerant they are.
We have ads in Maori here. My school qualification certificate was in Maori, and most Maori don't speak Maori!
You get over it. It dosn't matter. It's just a show that they are diverse.

Why are you pissed off by this? It's an ad you can't understand, Hell, MOST ads I don't understand. Did you know that Chevy didn't just sell their cars to english-speaking Americans? Yeah! Shock horror! There's nothing wrong with advertising in the language of the minority. Sure you want get the message from the ad heir running, that's the company's loss, why be outraged? The fact that a simple thing like an ad can awaken such anger in you suggests that, (and I don't want to use this word,) you are incredibly racist.

I am honestly disgusted.
Wow, this has NOTHING to do with RACE. it has everything to do with the fact that A. we live IN FUCKING AMERICA B. Congress JUST DECLARED english, the LANGUAGE of the nation. C. IF they want to run spanish ADS  RUN THEM in spanish speaking countries. D. Chevy just contradicted themselves. E. i understood it, and i was offended by it. E. im not racist.
Actually, I think this post combined with your first, pretty much seals the deal.  You sir, are officially a racist.  Here's your membership card, your white hood, and your horse.  Cross burnings are ever third thursday of each month, and if show your member card at Urban Outfitters they'll give you 20% off all housewares.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!

lowing wrote:

Marconius wrote:

Okinawa? Sweet, I was born there in 91 when my father was stationed there with the Marines.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA
Am I the only one that thinks that todays immigrants from South of the border are not interested in becoming American citizens?
Cobra4545
Jizz in my pants
+54|6480|Vancouver, USA
Yah that was pretty much BS.  So much for American Revolution.  Maybe a South American Revolution.  It was amazing to me that supposedly our national pastime's biggest series has a spanish commercial in it.  Way to go Chevy!
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!

lowing wrote:

Am I the only one that thinks that todays immigrants from South of the border are not interested in becoming American citizens?
I quite think they care less about this country or anyone but themselves... that's why they have welfare, hospital, etc. paid for them by taxpayers.
wedge3382
UD-6 Talon Whore
+14|6558|Ellisville, MS
Can't remember who said it, but a wish man once said our country would took over without a single shot ever being fired.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
BTW, this is great practice for tomorrow's debate about Illegal Immigration in the Junior Statesmen of America club at my HS.
Chou
+737|6792
Anyone from my country can know this: there was a spanish channel here called TVE and a lot of hispanic people watched that channel like omg so many, yeah that many, anyway one day they decided to cancel that channel forgood and a couple of years later everyone had to work for their welfare, since that period, 1000's have left this country because it wasn't fun anymore, some live in USA now and some are still dealing drugs or selling their pussy to the public but they do that in other european countries now.

The world is a great place... for a gamer !
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Miller wrote:

lowing wrote:

Marconius wrote:

Okinawa? Sweet, I was born there in 91 when my father was stationed there with the Marines.
I was there when my old man was in the Army....Lived in Naha
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Miller wrote:

BTW, this is great practice for tomorrow's debate about Illegal Immigration in the Junior Statesmen of America club at my HS.
go get'em!!! take no prisoners
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!

wedge3382 wrote:

Can't remember who said it, but a wish man once said our country would took over without a single shot ever being fired.
Lies, go to the prisons and check how many inmates are illegals, don't tell me shots haven't been fired. Even in his metaphorical terms, shots have been fired.  Why? We have liberals deciding illegals are fun.  The one place I don't agree with Bush on is illegal immigration, and as if it's not enough, we are letting these people get work free, for breaking the law, and rewarding them way too much. If we raise the minimum wage, guess who comes in? ILLEGALS!!! YAY!!!  As if inflation isn't bad enough also.

Last edited by Miller (2006-10-24 19:44:11)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard