Crash727
+12|6648|NH, USA
Good luck, Frank.  The 10 years I have spent in the USAF and ANG have been the best.

The best advice I can give you is this:

1) Enjoy your job, whatever it is, and don't hate where ever it is you get stationed.  If you don't like your job, you will be miserable and your career will suffer.  If you only hate the place you are stationed at, you will not find anything fun to do and you will be miserable.  There are other options if you don't like what you do or where you are at, unless you get sent to Iraq. 

2) Watch the drinking.  If you are under age, just wait until you hit 21.  Seriously, I have seen many young people's lives get ruined due to underage drinking.  Just friggin' wait.  It won't kill you.

3) Take your job seriously, but not too seriously.  Especially since you are going in for SP.  You can get really hurt really quick if you screw around.

4) Don't dread Basic Training.  Learn from it & don't bounce.  Drill Instructors HATE bouncing.

Finally...

5) If the Command Chief Master Sergeant for 19th Air Force visits your unit, don't say "Yea" to him if he asks you a question.  If you (or someone else) does, get a picture and post it, because I haven't seen that look in a few years.

San Antonio is a cool place.  You will be there for a while.  Go to Dick's Last Resort down on the Riverwalk.

Oh, btw, stay away from Navy chicks.  Trust me on this.
MorbidFetus
+76|6558|Ohio

{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank wrote:

And yes, Morbid, I have a job reserved, I wouldnt have a ship date if I didnt.
Wrong. You can go in open (general, electronic, etc.). Most people I knew who went to Basic without a job ended up a cop or crew chief.

The one good thing about being a cop is rent-a-cops taking over gate guard. It was outsourced at my last base. I assume it's like that at most, if not all, stateside bases.

Crash727 wrote:

2) Watch the drinking.  If you are under age, just wait until you hit 21.  Seriously, I have seen many young people's lives get ruined due to underage drinking.  Just friggin' wait.  It won't kill you.

4) Don't dread Basic Training.  Learn from it & don't bounce.  Drill Instructors HATE bouncing.

San Antonio is a cool place.  You will be there for a while.  Go to Dick's Last Resort down on the Riverwalk.

Oh, btw, stay away from Navy chicks.  Trust me on this.
Fo' realz. It only took someone to blow his brains out until they stopped the wack DUI policy at my old unit. The hardest part of basic was folding the damn t-shirts into 6" squares but I heard they roll them now. Don't volunteer for anything and don't say shit unless asked directly (like "What's your name", not "Are you trying to fuck with me???").

I heard they bumped it up from 6.5 weeks. True?

Dick's is cool. Don't fall for the "Your ribbon is upside down" bit. People will fuck with you when you get to go off base (River Walk) in your blues because you're a nub.

Navy chicks=fat sows. Think with your big head, not your little.

Last edited by MorbidFetus (2006-10-23 17:54:57)

Crash727
+12|6648|NH, USA
Actually, I just heard that USAF basic is going to 12 weeks.  The last few years, it has been 7 weeks.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6487|Somewhere else

RoosterCantrell wrote:

Looking forward to getting it over with? why sign at all then A1C FRancis Tank?
Looking forward to getting basic over.

Im not doing anything involved with planes actually.  And yes, Morbid, I have a job reserved, I wouldnt have a ship date if I didnt.  I am going for Security Forces.  Stateside I will be a cop/base security.  On deployments I will be mostly doing base security, but will be trained in convoy security, MOUT, house/building clearing.  From what I hear, Security Forces have actually been used from time to time on doing raids, patrols etc.
Oh, yeah i hear basic sucks balls, my best friend is in the Air Force. He says basic blew nuts. He is in missile defense. well, good luck man, gotta respect any man or woamn that signs on. Have fun (after basic)!
Chou
+737|6797
Outstand them all !
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6650
have fun dude.  home is a crutch.
Crash727
+12|6648|NH, USA
One thing I forgot to mention.  While out on patrol, don't end up like this guy:

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Crash727/mill08.jpg

F-15 landing gear are not cheap to replace.

Last edited by Crash727 (2006-10-23 18:44:53)

ATG
Banned
+5,233|6536|Global Command
Thanks Frank.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6585|Florida

Crash727 wrote:

Actually, I just heard that USAF basic is going to 12 weeks.  The last few years, it has been 7 weeks.
Not fully correct.  Basic is still 6 1/2 weeks until fiscal year 08 (next fall) it will move up to 8 1/2.  Thanks for all the support everyone.  To whoever left me the karma message

Yesterday 20:30:51 +1 The countdown has started.... im just karming u cause i rember u from a server and i thought u kicked ass 

Thanks.....I try to make the biggest difference for my team possible lol.  Since you didnt leave a name, I cannot +1 back, but thanks anyway.

Morbid, you are correct about going as Open for job field, my mistake on saying differently, wasnt thinking about the Open option.  Security Forces is what I wanted, and considering they needed 4000 just this year, and are substantially short, I was almost guaranteed to get it. 

To whoever said that your base outsourced rent-a-cops to guard the base/gates etc., it could possibly be because of the substantial shortage in Security Forces.  But I do not know, just a guess.

Thanks again everyone.
Jenkinsbball
Banned
+149|6555|USA bitches!
Good luck, and kick some fucking ass. Watch your shit too dude, there are accidents all the time and people die in basic training. Keep your head up.
MorbidFetus
+76|6558|Ohio

To whoever said that your base outsourced rent-a-cops to guard the base/gates etc., it could possibly be because of the substantial shortage in Security Forces.  But I do not know, just a guess.
Well whatever the reason, the rent-a-cops have been there for over 2 years.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6778|PNW

Crash727 wrote:

Also, pay attention to your surroundings and watch your shit. There's alot of grabby hands that love to "swap" items with you or plant stuff that lands your ass in a frying pan.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6585|Florida
Thanks for the heads up newbie13.  From what I have been told, I will most likely be made an element leader or dorm chief in basic.  Because I have about 100 total college credits, I enlist as an E-3 which will make me an Airman First Class (A1C) upon graduation of basic.  My recruiter, and a couple friends who are already in, said that chances are good that that would happen because of the college credits, and because I am 21 and not right out of high school.  This is what I have been told.  In a way, it would be kinda cool...but I also dont know if I want to be either of those...because I am responsible for everyone elses fuck ups too.
arabeater
Do you have any idea how fooking busy I am?
+49|6687|Colorado Springs, CO
Hey man I am in the Air Force out at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma. Yea basic isnt that bad but you gotta work as a team to make it through. Security Forces isnt that bad of a job as long as your at a cool base. I am a Combat Communications guy. I have been in for 5 years now and its been alright except for the fact that i've been deployed 3 times to Afghanistan and Iraq for the most part of it. I think if your single you will definately enjoy your time in. Dicks is an interesting place to visit on the riverwalk if you enjoy sarcasm. Yea watch out for the Navy chicks at the Navy annex at Lackland, they give great BJ's on one hand but not the kinda girls you wanna settle down with. Anyways have fun and dont use any sir sandwiches in basic to the MTI's. They hate that shit.
arabeater

Crash727 wrote:

Not fully correct.  Basic is still 6 1/2 weeks until fiscal year 08 (next fall) it will move up to 8 1/2.  Thanks for all the support everyone.  To whoever left me the karma message

Yesterday 20:30:51 +1 The countdown has started.... im just karming u cause i rember u from a server and i thought u kicked ass 

Thanks.....I try to make the biggest difference for my team possible lol.  Since you didnt leave a name, I cannot +1 back, but thanks anyway.

Morbid, you are correct about going as Open for job field, my mistake on saying differently, wasnt thinking about the Open option.  Security Forces is what I wanted, and considering they needed 4000 just this year, and are substantially short, I was almost guaranteed to get it. 

Thanks again everyone.
Yea we got renta-cops here at Tinker due to the fact that all the SP's are either deployed or working at the range here on base to train people to deploy. I got some friends that are SP's and theyve deployed 5 times in the past 4 years. I dont envey that shit but its gotta be done. I've had to pull SP duty while I was deployed during convoys which was cool cause i got to man the .50 cal on the Humvee and took that opportunity to take some free target practice at some abandoned cars.
Home
Section.80
+447|6854|Seattle, Washington, USA

Good luck out there. It'll be cool to train with all those weapons.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6585|Florida
Yeah, I look forward to being trained with all the weapons Home.  Arab, yeah, SF is highly needed.  What squadron are they in to deploy that much?  Ive got a friend who is in SF now, hes been in about 3 years, and is on his second deployment.  They are used quite often for alot of stuff, considering that SF is trained for combat, room clearing, convoy security.  Security Forces is pretty much the Air Force version of Army/Marine infantry.  Ive heard that SF is even pulled for house raids and patrols sometimes if the extra people are needed.
mofo65
+6|6638|Valrico, FL USA
Good luck dude, stay alert stay alive.
Pizdets_Velikiy
+8|6410
Good luck pal. I don't know you, but I respect and appreciate your choice. Kick some ass for us if you get the chance.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6585|Florida
Thanks guys
BVC
+325|6702
Good luck!

And yeah, steal the J10
r3ddrag0n
Huge Member
+2|6707
Hey man good luck going through basic and tech school.  Truthfully BMT is probably 80% mental 20% physical.  Don't do anything to stick out, just try to keep low-profile throughout and the MTI will stay out of your face.  See if you can volunteer for Pad Crew, it's a simple detail and you get to chill outside and BS while sweeping a small area.  When going out on warrior week try to get kitchen detail so that you can get the choice of food out there and also be able to take your time eating. 

When you get to your first base try your absolute best to make the most of it.  Many people will say that your best base will be your last base, that may have been true in my case but I'm in Hawaii right now.  If you have any questions feel free to ask, looks like there are other AF members on these forums.  Or go ahead and PM me if you don't want to ask everyone.
arabeater

Yeah, I look forward to being trained with all the weapons Home.  Arab, yeah, SF is highly needed.  What squadron are they in to deploy that much?  Ive got a friend who is in SF now, hes been in about 3 years, and is on his second deployment.  They are used quite often for alot of stuff, considering that SF is trained for combat, room clearing, convoy security.  Security Forces is pretty much the Air Force version of Army/Marine infantry.  Ive heard that SF is even pulled for house raids and patrols sometimes if the extra people are needed.
They are in the 72nd SF Squadron. Yea my unit trains for convoy, squad manuevers and some patrol duties as well. Only because we are one of the few combat units in the AF. Yea man hit me up sometime when you get outta basic. I'll PM you my email. I can give you some advice or a few pointers if you need some.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6635|IRELAND

Good luck with it frank.
Good luck mastering the dark skin bombing reticle.....
znozer
Viking fool - Crazy SWE
+162|6551|Sverige (SWE)

jsnipy wrote:

My advice to you ... fly over ditch f35 and steal the j10! ..

Seriously, Good luck!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard