jonsimon
+224|6504
Seems to be a popular question, but I haven't seen a single stab at an answer.

So, try your hand at reasoning why Palestine can't live in peace with Israel.

And, if you can't provide a logical answer, I guess that just means Palestine can live in peace with Israel.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6528|Πάϊ
You mean you want to see that map posted again? lol
ƒ³
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6414|North Carolina
There is a lot of dogma on both sides.  Essentially, most of it boils down to Palestinians being way too attached to land they lost decades ago and the Israelis being too reactionary.

I really don't think either side can tolerate the other, although Yitzhak Rabin brought us very close to an agreement (until some idiot Zionist killed him).

Regardless, I don't think we can ever hope to see such an agreement again, because there are too many powerful people on both sides that will not be satisfied until one side is dead.  I know it sounds like a conspiracy theory, but it seems true given past events...
Lisik
+74|6509|Israel
Its not coming from Palestine, its coming from Saudi Araby... and its name - Islam!
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6538|Global Command
Because they have outside influences who keep reminding them why they should be pissed, funneling weapons and explosives and fomenting unrest.

The Muslim/Pallestinian/Arab living inside Israel generally enjoys a higher standard of living and more rights than those living elsewhere.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6528|Πάϊ

Turquoise wrote:

There is a lot of dogma on both sides.  Essentially, most of it boils down to Palestinians being way too attached to land they lost decades ago and the Israelis being too reactionary.

I really don't think either side can tolerate the other, although Yitzhak Rabin brought us very close to an agreement (until some idiot Zionist killed him).

Regardless, I don't think we can ever hope to see such an agreement again, because there are too many powerful people on both sides that will not be satisfied until one side is dead.  I know it sounds like a conspiracy theory, but it seems true given past events...
True, only the Israelis are not reactionary. More like actionary if you catch my drift...
ƒ³
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6718|Wilmington, DE, US
I honestly think that they're capable of it, but Israel needs to start treating the Palestinians like humans and the Palestinians will have to be able to let things go.
Phantom2828
+51|6536|Land of the free

jonsimon wrote:

And, if you can't provide a logical answer, I guess that just means Palestine can live in peace with Israel.
I think they did until Palestinians started blowing themselves up.
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.

Phantom2828 wrote:

jonsimon wrote:

I think they did until Palestinians started blowing themselves up.
I think that's a very selective view of history.
Sentinel
Cheeseburger Connoisseur
+145|6667|Australia

ATG wrote:

Because they have outside influences who keep reminding them why they should be pissed, funneling weapons and explosives and fomenting unrest.

The Muslim/Pallestinian/Arab living inside Israel generally enjoys a higher standard of living and more rights than those living elsewhere.
Dubai, Jordan, Kuwait - i would have thought their standard of living, and personal rights be at least equal to or greater than Israels.

Not an attack or debate, just a query.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6538|Global Command

Iron_Sentinel wrote:

ATG wrote:

Dubai, Jordan, Kuwait - i would have thought their standard of living, and personal rights be at least equal to or greater than Israels.

Talking mostly about civil freedoms; voting rights, court systems etc...
The countries you mention enjoy a massive social wellfare platform because of all of the oil money, but have little say in their government.

Last I check, ANY Israeli citizen, regardless of Muslim or not, has an equal vote.
Turquoise
O Canada
ATG beat me to it...  Also, the disparity of wealth is still very high in the countries you mentioned, Iron Sentinel.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6528|Πάϊ
Alright you people need to realize what you're saying here: How exactly do you suppose they should "let things go" Ikarti? You need to place yourself in their shoes, if that's possible: What if your country, your house and everything you own was occupied / taken away from you by some other country/nation /whatever. How the hell would you let go?
ƒ³
Sentinel
Cheeseburger Connoisseur
+145|6667|Australia

ATG wrote:

Iron_Sentinel wrote:

ATG wrote:

The countries you mention enjoy a massive social wellfare platform because of all of the oil money, but have little say in their government.

Last I check, ANY Israeli citizen, regardless of Muslim or not, has an equal vote.
Fair enough.
I think those three countries are ruled more or less by their respective Royal families anyway. Not sure that they are the leaders - might have a Prime Minister etc - , but i know the royals there are active within the community and in running of the countries.
jonsimon
+224|6504

ATG wrote:

If they haven't been forced out yet.
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.

oug wrote:

Alright you people need to realize what you're saying here: How exactly do you suppose they should "let things go" Ikarti? You need to place yourself in their shoes, if that's possible: What if your country, your house and everything you own was occupied / taken away from you by some other country/nation /whatever. How the hell would you let go?
Oug, I'm well fucking aware of it. I never said it was feasible, or that they'd be willing. I'm not sure if you've never read my posts or not, but I'm solidly on the side of the Palestinians. And I've had similar experiences, You don't let it go when someone royally fucks with you.

EDIT: You think my idea of having the Israelis treat them like humans is very likely either?

Last edited by Ikarti (2006-10-23 17:11:19)

Turquoise
O Canada

oug wrote:

Good point, but....  As someone else mentioned, a lot of the land was taken decades ago.  Most of the terrorists are too young to even remember most of the Israeli advances into Palestinian land.  That's why "letting it go" is a good thing.  You can't win against an established army anyway.  These people are just asking for death by attacking Israel.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6528|Πάϊ
Dude, I know where you stand, and we agree.

Ikarti wrote:

You don't let it go when someone royally fucks with you.
So how can it be expected of them? I know I wouldn't let it go... (I too have similar experiences btw...)
ƒ³
Sentinel
Cheeseburger Connoisseur
+145|6667|Australia

Turquoise wrote:

oug wrote:

Good point, but....  As someone else mentioned, a lot of the land was taken decades ago.  Most of the terrorists are too young to even remember most of the Israeli advances into Palestinian land.  That's why "letting it go" is a good thing.  You can't win against an established army anyway.  These people are just asking for death by attacking Israel.
But then again, you cant win against an established Guerilla 'Army'. Vietnam and now Iraq will prove invaluable to the future of urban and guerilla warfare.
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.

oug wrote:

Dude, I know where you stand, and we agree.

Ikarti wrote:

You don't let it go when someone royally fucks with you.
So how can it be expected of them? I know I wouldn't let it go... (I too have similar experiences btw...)
It's not something that could happen overnight. Being treated humanely would have to start. Hamas would need to have at the very least a ceasefire, Israel would need to stop running around in Palestinian lands. The US would need to provide a significant amount of aid to Palestine (take it from the military aid to Isreal) to help rebuild and get a decent infrastructure in place. Al-Quds/Jerusalem should be put under control of a neutral 3rd party (Switzerland or a new body comprised of atheists, since Israel thinks the UN hates them.) Create some feasible connection between Gaza and the West Bank. Find some way where they don't have to like each other, or really talk to each other, but where they can live next to each other without wanting to kill each other.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6528|Πάϊ

Turquoise wrote:

Decades or no decades that doesn't change the fact... My guess is they're not worrying about winning anything... especially since they resort to suicide...
ƒ³
Turquoise
O Canada

Iron_Sentinel wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

oug wrote:

But then again, you cant win against an established Guerilla 'Army'. Vietnam and now Iraq will prove invaluable to the future of urban and guerilla warfare.
Touche'...  Vietnam was a mess that would've required America to just take the Pol Pot approach and kill everything that moves, in order to win.  There are times when I wish we had done that.

As for Iraq...  That could have been won by turning the Iraqi Republican Guard into an American institution.  When we decommissioned them, we threw away any hope we had of winning....
jonsimon
+224|6504

Iron_Sentinel wrote:

ATG wrote:

Iron_Sentinel wrote:

Fair enough.
I think those three countries are ruled more or less by their respective Royal families anyway. Not sure that they are the leaders - might have a Prime Minister etc - , but i know the royals there are active within the community and in running of the countries.
More sepcifically, Jordan has universal sufferage, a relatively powerful legislature, and reserved seats for minority groups such as Christians.

Kuwait however, does not have universal male sufferage, although they have recently gained women's sufferage and have elected a female reprsentative to parliament. The parliament is fairly powerful and the upper branch is appointed by the king, while the lower is elected by the vote.

Couldn't find anything on Dubai.
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
Dubai is ruled by Emir Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum. They aren't very fond of democracy there, but from my visit there and what I've found from other sources is that the royal families in the Emirates have the interests of the people in mind, unlike a certain other country to the north of them where the royal family is rather hit or miss with that.
Turquoise
O Canada

oug wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Decades or no decades that doesn't change the fact... My guess is they're not worrying about winning anything... especially since they resort to suicide...
But if they resort to suicide, they're as good as dead.  This is why I feel very little sympathy for them.  I can sympathize with a Western oppressive power far easier than an extremist non-Western culture that resorts to suicide.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard