{TL}SHARPSHOOTER
Vacuum Sealed for Freshness
+26|6752|The Island of Carls Jr.
I hate the fact that weapons are innacurate, but getting closer to the enemy is harder because the game gives you small lungs to sprint with...
PlaneWhore
+59|6773

hellsy wrote:

DICE dev chat in quakenet monday, Make sure you are there to rip dice!
My minions can rip them for me.
Linus
+53|6660

PlaneWhore wrote:

Summary:

This game is a step backwards from the Battlefield series. The only kind of player this game will appeal to is perhaps the casual gamer who finds the gameplay in Battlefield 2 just a tad too difficult or maybe someone who is really burned out with BF2 and doesn't know that other fantastic games outside of the Battlefield series exist. DICE has failed to fix serious issues that still remain from the PREVIOUS Battlefield 2 game and with dynamics ads being forced down our throats on top of the inferior  gameplay my recommendation is to pass on this installment of the Battlefield series. I can pretty much guarantee right now that Battlefield 2142 will be nowhere near as successful as Battlefield 2 sales wise and chances are once all the smoke clears Battlefield 2 will be close to or even have a superior number of active players simply because it is a superior game in almost every way that counts.

I can't help but feel that DICE has seems to have gone astray and forgotten the key elements they introduced in BF1942 (one of the best games of all time) and is ruining the series as a result.
wow, if 2142 is a step BACK from bf2, it sure as hell must be total JUNK.

BF2 was a huge disappointment for myself.  I have a dozen PC's that randomly crash with BF2.
Add that to the numerous gameplay bugs, exploits, and overall unbalanced play BF2 was horrid to
play at times.  Again, add that to what seems to be the biggest group of noobs, morons, kiddies,
smacktards ever assembled in a gaming community and it was a total failure.

DICE will never be a true programming organization.  They are the rejects of the programming
business.  I wouldnt trust them s4tting the clock on my vcr in fears that it would self destruct in
a week or something.  Its just downright pathetic the lack of support, lack of common sense, et al,
they gave BF2. 

I will never purchase another product sold with the EA logo on it, and that includes Madden.  My local
gamestop manager has refunded over 156 purchases of Bf2 for incompatability issues, even when
the box originally (they later changed it, great fraud there EA!) stated the required system specs
and met all of them.

After 16 months of release, they STILL could not fix several holes in the game, but yet decided to
spend all their time on CHANGING player movement, and releasing more and more expansion packs
which were imo, all junk.  The server browser is the biggest disgrace to online games since the
invent of the internet.  I offered to write a better one free of charge within a week but they declined
my offer.

EA's motto is and always will be, QUANITY OVER QUALITY.

I hope 2142 flops.
schakl
+21|6697
Yup, like I feared, the BF series joined the UT/Quake series (sorry if that is an insult for UT/Quake) players. I played the demo and this is my opinion:

1) absolutely ugly, dark, 'squared' (<=don't know the correct english word) and 'yak' colors
2) for beginners and weekend players, makes no sense to train the skill
3) I was #1 on a 48 player server after 3 tries, that says all about Noob friendly (lol)
4) The Titan is boring, just hold the missile silos and wait
5) The small vehicels are the most powerful, get an APC, EMP a tank and blast it with the AT handweapon
6) If you know BF2 you know BF2142, just a different (ugly) cloak and ugly medals

My opinion:
The game was made very easy, so that many people will buy it for sunday afternoon and EA makes a lot of cash for quite nothing. For SciFi wargames there are better ones (e.g. Quake, UT).
l=l-Oneill-l=l
+27|6845|Dundas, ONT, Canada
I must be using different demo version, cause in my version I can not lock on to any target with my TV missile, plus main missiles have no splash damage at all. You pretty much have to hit some one dead on.

I've played 2142 since first beta came out, i like it back than and like it now. Different stile of warfare, different mods, but still requires a team work to win.

P.S. Schakl said:"The Titan is boring, just hold the missile silos and wait" well same goes for a conquest mode. Hold all flags and wait.
PlaneWhore
+59|6773
Updated my review with my views on "Orbital Strike".
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6828|Belgium

A report that should go here I guess:

saabrx wrote:

Great post !! I appreciate the time he spent writing it all up. Vehicle description was excellent!
thefousteph
+8|6738
Well, Your right on on the Aircraft description...And sadly. 'cause a great chunk of the BF community are Plane/chopper whore. I think the solutions DICE took is too drastic => less armor + great air defence would have been enough. i hope they will tweak it by the patches (gulp! patch!!!)

For the rest of your long and *very* detailled review, c'mon! you are way too pessimistic. APC is crap...compared to BF2 APC. if not, they are ok and worked fine for me.

Walker are great and fun. A big part of the negative point you mention are point oriented. wich let me think you only look for your personal stats.

"If you use this hover tank you won't get too much point," "if your in a walker you won't get teampoint"

Bla bla bla points points points.

THE GAME IS GOOD! - AND YES YOU WON'T GET 100pts/round like in BF2, SO F**KING WHAT?!

IT'S IS INTENDED TO HAVE SOME FUN

Basing my analysis on the fun factor, i give BF2142 a 8/10 for the demo. il wait for the final game to give a final score. But it is definitely better than what you say.
maestro4202
+0|6408
I have issues and praises for the BF2142 demo but they are not all quite the same as what I'm hearing from most.

+I do enjoy the relaxed difficulty of the new air vehicles.  Even tho I have a good connection I still have lots and lots of pauses in BF games and this is no exception.  With a jumpjet, I have time to correct after the lag, in a jet, forget it.
+I do like the Titan mode and when a server switches back to traditional mode, it feels lacking by comparison.  Yes, Titans are campfest lag beasts but the innovation of them makes up for it kinda like Tribes with movable dropships.   And when your getting spawn camped its nice to have a place thats off limits to enemies (well atleast the front of it)   Overall, like them a lot yes I do.

-I agree the collision detection doesnt seem right, but it never has to me in BF games.   I've seen air transports take entire volleys from my gunships only for them to survive, then in turn I am shot down with only several from a player in another gunship.
-One of the problems I have with BF games isn't the games but infact the human element.  Too many people still take off with transports leaving passengers behind.  Ludacris votes are spammed to oust commanders who are infact doing just fine and if nothing else..how are they supposed to learn to be better commanders?  The players also seem like a quiet bunch to me, frequently not speaking up when they know doing so will help out a n00b or affect the outcome of a battle.  And that leaves you with a series of games that are spilling over with anti-social plane aces and snipers which pretty much sums up my BF expirience...and I am a vet of 1942.
-The fact that you can't disable the ads is rediculous and the warning that comes with the game is plain offensive and gamers have every right to be worried and feel betrayed.
-Runs like crap on my pc.  And frankily my PC, while very average is capable of so much more.

I may or may not get it, only because its too late to get excited by BF2 and I haven't got an fps in a while - and - I HAVE had some very fun games of Titan mode.  Of course I didn't have to worry about ads in the demo.

Last edited by maestro4202 (2006-10-18 18:13:53)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6697|Tampa Bay Florida
Planewhore, I'm a little annoyed about your transport jet crashing vid.  Do you know how many people would kill to have a pc as fast as yours?  And you waste your time making a vid about ramming into mechs (while ruining the game for lots of players on the same server) for the sole purpose to make fun of the game.
oneshotsnipednoobfag
+9|6512
i did not read all of this review except for conclusion and chopper review ( which i find both very good) i feel this game does not require skill to be good at, and there isnt much room for improvement in most categories compared to bf2. take for example the guns, you spray and pray with the support, and your accuracy will become better. Anyone can get into this game and kill anyone easily using the noobtactic of "spray and pray"

Last edited by oneshotsnipednoobfag (2006-10-19 13:50:24)

dom117
+17|6472
i heard alot about having 2 install spyware 2 play 2142...what is this??
Zapata1982
+4|6680|Los Angeles, KALIFoooNIaaa
i have to agree on the orbital stike sucking balls... for me the joy of being commander was to arty clutter of people now its more of a nausence than a deterant, ...i wondt be commaneder anymore...
zitwep
+1|6473
I find that you are wrong about infantry warfare, I find the weapons accurate. I don't care if I use the Bianchi LMG or Shuko LMG, I find they are the same, they are accurate.
thefousteph
+8|6738

Zapata1982 wrote:

i have to agree on the orbital stike sucking balls... for me the joy of being commander was to arty clutter of people now its more of a nausence than a deterant, ...i wondt be commaneder anymore...
In the final game, obital strike do kill people

i was not scared in the demo but retail version is more deadly
DisasterMaster
+5|6411|(0,0,0)
Yup, like I feared, the BF series joined the UT/Quake series (sorry if that is an insult for UT/Quake) players. I played the demo and this is my opinion:
Nah, most of my clan didn't like BF2142, and one of our members said Quake 3 was better then 2142.

Last edited by DisasterMaster (2006-11-08 19:05:25)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard