DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6682|United States of America
Haven't you seen The Longest Day? Said film contains stories from American, English, French, and German viewpoints.

Last edited by DesertFox423 (2006-10-22 08:35:52)

Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6517|Adelaide, South Australia

I cant decide, so ima put two:

1. What nation of the allies or axis would you fight for and why?
Australia, Germany (not Hitler, GERMANY)

2. In what theater of operation would you rather be involved and why?
Indonesian, European

3. In what branch of service and why?
Ground Forces (AIF), Paratrooper (Fallschirmjager)

4. In what capacity would you rather do your fighting?
Slogging it out on the Kokoda Track/Trail, Paradropping where ever im needed.

Mekstizzle wrote:

I'd like to be those Soviet chumps that ran without a gun or anything into MG42 emplacements.
Be a man, take one of your flags
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

Mekstizzle wrote:

I want to see some films based on the German or Soviet or even British aspect. Is there any out there? Besides the really old WW2 films (pre 1980's) and that really annoying and boring sniping one (Enemy at the gates)

Don't hate on me, i know how paraniod you guys get. All i'm trying to say is that i've seen enough American WW2 films and i want to see something different...
How about Das Boot??...........German submarine flick........it is a remake from the classic.

Also I just watched a movie called "Downfall".......It is about the last days of Hitler and Berlin as the Soviets close in. I am not a big forign film fan, but I really enjoyed this one.

http://www.downfallthefilm.com/
Knight`UK
Lollerstorycarpark
+371|6578|England
1)Allies ,why because its obivous

2)European

3)Commando's for the night time raids on heavy water plants and taking on dangerous mission's

4)Infantry
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6764|UK
yeah there are a few but what realy anoyes me is when Americans make films and steal things that other countries did, like stealing the enigma machine, it was done by 2 norweigans or sweeds or something from a sinking sub, ie they went into a sinking ship to retreive it and risked being drowned, a very brave thing to do, then some American makes a film in which they claim to get the enigma and thereby mislead people who dont know much on the subject.
l=l-Oneill-l=l
+27|6835|Dundas, ONT, Canada

lowing wrote:

Well I forgot to answer my own questions:

would fight for the US, of course

I would rather fight in Europe, it would appear that the Germans were more "human" than the Japanese in the Pacific.

I would want to be in the Army/Air Forces,...Would wanna fly, and the they thoughts of trying to land on a carrier after being shot at and shot up wouldn't sit too well with me.

Well, Hollywood has certainly "glamorized" life in the 8th Air Force in England 1942-43 flying B-17's. However the thoughts of being shot at and not being able to do anything about it would scare me as well. SO, I would r have rather flown fighters, namely, the P-38. I like the idea of at least 2 engines when someone is trying to shoot me down.
Human?!!! Burning, gassing people alive, destroying entire villages, trying to wipe entire group of people, just because they happen to have different religion and not being true Arian race.

In my case Red army. The only army that was fighting aggressor and (I know I'm gonna get flamed for that one) the army that won that war.

Fly boy, any of the plains on red army side.
EricTViking
Yes, I am Queeg
+48|6550|UK

Mekstizzle wrote:

I want to see some films based on the German or Soviet or even British aspect. Is there any out there? Besides the really old WW2 films (pre 1980's) and that really annoying and boring sniping one (Enemy at the gates)

Don't hate on me, i know how paraniod you guys get. All i'm trying to say is that i've seen enough American WW2 films and i want to see something different...
There aren't that many post 1980 WW2 films that aren't about Americans. There are non combat films like "Enigma" and "Schindlers List", both good films but not much in the way of action.

I know you don't want to know about Pre-1980 but IMHO "The Battle of Britain" is an awesome film despite being made in 1969. It has some excellent footage and from what I can tell is pretty true to history.

As Lowing said, Das Boot is definately worth seeing. Good soundtrack too.
EricTViking
Yes, I am Queeg
+48|6550|UK

Vilham wrote:

yeah there are a few but what realy anoyes me is when Americans make films and steal things that other countries did, like stealing the enigma machine, it was done by 2 norweigans or sweeds or something from a sinking sub, ie they went into a sinking ship to retreive it and risked being drowned, a very brave thing to do, then some American makes a film in which they claim to get the enigma and thereby mislead people who dont know much on the subject.
Enigma was taken from a surfaced U-Boat by the crew of HMS Bulldog (Royal Navy).

But you're right m8, it wasn't captured by Jon Bon-jovi ;-)
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6720|Eastern PA

lowing wrote:

4. In what capacity would you rather do your fighting? IE. infantry, fighter pilot, tank driver, sniper, ships. etc..keeping in mind the life expectancy and the ways of death you could experience from that job.
1. N. Africa/France or maybe one of the countries bordering the Soviet Union (squeezed between Hitler's Germany and Stalin's USSR would have been the definition of despair)
2. N. Africa, I like the history/culture and weather.
3. Army, family tradition
4. Engineering or Intelligence
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6619|London, England
Thanks for all those suggested films guys. Guess there are quite a few out there.
CaptainMike
It's just a flesh wound
+45|6643|Canada

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

I cant decide, so ima put two:

Australia, Germany (not Hitler, GERMANY)

Indonesian, European

Ground Forces (AIF), Paratrooper (Fallschirmjager)

4. In what capacity would you rather do your fighting?
Slogging it out on the Kokoda Track/Trail, Paradropping where ever im needed.
The Fallschirmjager in the late war took walked or rode a truck to get to where they needed, they didn't take the plane. By mid-1944 they were just infantry, and some replacements weren't actually qualified to be a paratrooper. Their glory days would have been teh early days in Crete and Poland.
[UTQ]_Ausch88
Banned
+23|6493
1- Germany

2- Battle of England

3- Luftwaffe

4- the battle of England was the turning point of the war.. if Hitler didnt attack the russians and use all his military power to invade England by sea and not only with bombers...
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6657|The darkside of Denver

Mekstizzle wrote:

Thanks for all those suggested films guys. Guess there are quite a few out there.
THe move Stalingrad is very good. Its in german but is subtitled. Told from teh perspective of a group of German strosstruppe in stalingrad. very sad movie. also the downfall which was aforementioned was good.
Drexel
+43|6474|Philadelphia
1. I'd stick with the Good ol'  USA

2. Europe, cuz that's the kind of weather I'm used to.  Plus, that's where the Germans were and they are the ones that started this war.

3. Army, marienes.  One of thoes.

4. I haven't seen anyone say this, and I'm kinda supprised.  But I'd love to be manning the artillery.  Without this, many thousands of Allies would have died, and an added bonus, you're miles away from the front line.
Jussimies
Finnish commander whore
+76|6582|Finland
1. Finland

2. border of Finland and Soviet Union.

3. Army. There was wery rarely tanks or aircraft on finnish site.

4. Ground pounder with Suomi-konepistooli(Suomi(Finland)-SMG) of course.
jonsimon
+224|6493

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

After Band of Brothers and countless games to boot, how could anyone want to join anything other than 101st airborne?

Aside from that or I would have loved to have driven one of the three vehicles that won us the war: the Higgins boat, the forklift, or the supply truck.
No way, the duck for the win.
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6621|EU

Wehrmacht or SS

Border of Latvia and Red Beast/Eastern front

Infantry or tanks

Machine gunner or rifleman- who cares

why SS? because they were one of the best trained units, never left wounded comrades, fought till the end...
why WH? because my grandpa fought in wehramacht for freedom of Latvia and against communism, nothing to do with Jewish question...
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

l=l-Oneill-l=l wrote:

lowing wrote:

Well I forgot to answer my own questions:

would fight for the US, of course

I would rather fight in Europe, it would appear that the Germans were more "human" than the Japanese in the Pacific.

I would want to be in the Army/Air Forces,...Would wanna fly, and the they thoughts of trying to land on a carrier after being shot at and shot up wouldn't sit too well with me.

Well, Hollywood has certainly "glamorized" life in the 8th Air Force in England 1942-43 flying B-17's. However the thoughts of being shot at and not being able to do anything about it would scare me as well. SO, I would r have rather flown fighters, namely, the P-38. I like the idea of at least 2 engines when someone is trying to shoot me down.
Human?!!! Burning, gassing people alive, destroying entire villages, trying to wipe entire group of people, just because they happen to have different religion and not being true Arian race.

In my case Red army. The only army that was fighting aggressor and (I know I'm gonna get flamed for that one) the army that won that war.

Fly boy, any of the plains on red army side.
When I said they acted more "human", I was referring to the treatment of the American POW's as compared to the way the Japanese treated their POW's, please don't read anything more into it. I am well aware of the atrocities the Nazis are capable, and guilty of.

Although the Soviets without a doubt did their part in defeating Germany, I kinda assumed it was the 2 fronts that Germany tried to fight on, and the loss of complete air superiority in Europe, that resulted into its inevitable demise.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6579|SE London

1. England

2. Europe

3. Navy

4. Deployed in the channel. The British navy blockading the channel was what stopped the Nazis in their tracks. Also the navy had total dominance in the channel and all British waters - so it'd be quite safe (better than trenches) and still performing an important role in defending the country.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6403|North Carolina

lowing wrote:

If you were fighting WW2:

Well, um...  America.  It's not like I'm going to side with Nazies or Japanese Imperialists.

lowing wrote:

Pacific.  I think America's involvement in the Pacific was the most impressive because we were mostly alone in our battle.

lowing wrote:

Air Force.  Being a pilot would have been interesting -- albeit deadly.

lowing wrote:

4. In what capacity would you rather do your fighting? IE. infantry, fighter pilot, tank driver, sniper, ships. etc..keeping in mind the life expectancy and the ways of death you could experience from that job. Remember, you still wanna survive the war and go home.
Pilot...  despite the chance of death.  In most cases, people died quicker from plane crashes or explosions than on the battlefield.  If you have to risk death, fast is the way to go.

Last edited by Turquoise (2006-10-22 16:41:55)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6579|SE London

[UTQ]_Ausch88 wrote:

1- Germany

2- Battle of England

3- Luftwaffe

4- the battle of England was the turning point of the war.. if Hitler didnt attack the russians and use all his military power to invade England by sea and not only with bombers...
There's a good reason Hitler didn't attack Britain by sea. The British had the upper hand at sea, the Germans had the advantage in the air, which is why Hitler went for an air assault. It made a lot of sense, but luckily, against all the odds, the English won the battle of Britain. If the Germans had gained air superiority in the channel they could have taken out the navy quite easily.

It was a good idea. But despite being vastly outnumbered we won the battle of Britain.
JaMDuDe
+69|6775
Id be a french commando. All they had to do was start at the frontlines and do a marathon to paris, then welcome in the germans and wait for america to save them.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

Spearhead wrote:

Being in a bomber you'd have a very short life expectancy.. plus, you'd have to fly in formation most of the time.  So, in other words, you're sitting ducks for the Me 109's...

1. America

2. North African or European

3. Army (for those who don't know, America's Air Force was known as the Army Air Force back in World War 2, the Air Force we know today didn't exist)

4. Infantry (if possible, have a rank higher than sergeant).  Maybe 82nd Airborne.  They saw action in the invasion of Sicily, plus they did everything the 101st did as well. 

Anyone seen Flags of our Fathers yet?  I very much doubt anyone would want to be in the Pacific theater after seeing that, lol.

Great movie, btw.  IMO best World War 2 movie out to date, even better than Saving Pvt. Ryan.  If you haven't seen it, go see it ASAP.
Just got back for Flags of Our Fathers.......I gotta say, it was okay, but I probably won't buy it, also it wasn't anywhere near Saving Pvt. Ryan. for action and war. It is a must see for all WW2 history fans, but as a movie I wasn't all that pumped up about it....I would have like more war and less bond drive. In my very very humble opinion. I read and loved the book.
11sog_raider
a gaurdian of life
+112|6456|behind my rifle
If you were fighting WW2:

1. allied, i live here duh

2. european

3. USAAF
4. b-17 tail gunner
Chorcai
+49|6646|Ireland

CameronPoe wrote:

despite the neutrality of Ireland and
Wouldnt be to sure on that....there were a few U-boats "docked for food" shall we say in Cork and Kerry ! Didnt we send a card saying sorry to hear of Hitlers death...infarness that was a mistake.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard