swedge
+23|6467|haggis hill
well new pc arrived today so i thought id get as much installed tonight as possible right? - WRONG, trying to set up raid is a bitch. i have my bios settings running fine its finding the 2dh's in raid0 but when i go to installing the xp part it fucks up, first i got the BSOD (blue screen of death) now it just freezes at the part before it installs xp the bit where it copies files (thinks its just for the raid bit). i have the raid drivers on a floppy but it keeps freezing at the copying files bit or it will say i have no hard drives installed lol. anyone here have any sollutions that might help.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6744|Salt Lake City

Some more information would be helpful.  Is this an add-in RAID card, or motherboard chip RAID?  If it's on the mobo, which model of mobo is it?

Also, have you tried installing Windows with just a single drive, not in RAID?  The problems you are describing are ones I usually see when a system has a RAM problem.
swedge
+23|6467|haggis hill
my specs are below, its through th mobo im running raid btw

* AMD AM2 Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+
    * nVIDIA nForce 570 SLi Motherboard
    * nVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 1024MB DDR PCI-Express
    * 2048MB DDR2 PC5400 Memory
    * 320GB 7200RPM SATA II 8MB Hard Drive + 2x 36gb raptors (hopefully in raid0)
    * 18x DVD±RW DVD Writer
    * 16x DVD-ROM
    * thermaltake aguila case
    * 520w ocz modstream
    * Floppy Drive and 7 in 1 Card Reader
    * 8-Channel High Definition Audio
    * 10/100/1000Mbps LAN
    * 8 x USB 2.0, 2 x Firewire

Last edited by swedge (2006-10-19 14:14:56)

EricTViking
Yes, I am Queeg
+48|6559|UK

swedge wrote:

well new pc arrived today so i thought id get as much installed tonight as possible right? - WRONG, trying to set up raid is a bitch. i have my bios settings running fine its finding the 2dh's in raid0 but when i go to installing the xp part it fucks up, first i got the BSOD (blue screen of death) now it just freezes at the part before it installs xp the bit where it copies files (thinks its just for the raid bit). i have the raid drivers on a floppy but it keeps freezing at the copying files bit or it will say i have no hard drives installed lol. anyone here have any sollutions that might help.
Have you initialised the RAID array in the RAID BIOS?  Usually with RAID you press a key combination at startup like Ctrl-G (or similar) and you then enter the RAID BIOS. Here you assign teh drives to an array and set the RAID type 0, 1, JBOD etc... Once you have assigedn the drives to an array you can then initialise the array ( not all RAID BIOS's have this facility ).

Make sure you have the right RAID drivers on the floppy and boot from your XP CD. Press F6 when asked so you can install the RAID drivers.

As you go through the installer you will get to a point where you can specify additional drivers. Make sure the floppy is in the drive and select the XP drivers. Note: sometimes the floppy will have drivers for Server 2003 or 2000. Make sure you pick the right one (XP).

Other than that it's business as usual - follow the rest of the XP install as you would.
swedge
+23|6467|haggis hill

EricTViking wrote:

swedge wrote:

Have you initialised the RAID array in the RAID BIOS?  Usually with RAID you press a key combination at startup like Ctrl-G (or similar) and you then enter the RAID BIOS. Here you assign teh drives to an array and set the RAID type 0, 1, JBOD etc... Once you have assigedn the drives to an array you can then initialise the array ( not all RAID BIOS's have this facility ).

Make sure you have the right RAID drivers on the floppy and boot from your XP CD. Press F6 when asked so you can install the RAID drivers.

As you go through the installer you will get to a point where you can specify additional drivers. Make sure the floppy is in the drive and select the XP drivers. Note: sometimes the floppy will have drivers for Server 2003 or 2000. Make sure you pick the right one (XP).

Other than that it's business as usual - follow the rest of the XP install as you would.
yeah i have it all set up in the raid bios the hard drives are selected and are in stripping,
As you go through the installer you will get to a point where you can specify additional drivers.
this is where it stops. i see all the info at the bottom of the screen saying its installing or copying things but it just stops and goes no further, i have the correct raid drivers because my mobo has an option to make a windowsxp 32 or windows64 raid floppy. i have windows 32 btw

Last edited by swedge (2006-10-19 14:33:31)

EricTViking
Yes, I am Queeg
+48|6559|UK

swedge wrote:

EricTViking wrote:

swedge wrote:

yeah i have it all set up in the raid bios the hard drives are selected and are in stripping,
As you go through the installer you will get to a point where you can specify additional drivers.
this is where it stops. i see all the info at the bottom of the screen saying its installing or copying things but it just stops and goes no further, i have the correct raid drivers because my mobo has an option to make a windowsxp 32 or windows64 raid floppy. i have windows 32 btw
Ok m8, so you boot from the XP CD, you press F6 to specify additional drivers and the setup continues. A while later it asks you to press 'S' to specify additional drivers. Are you able to select the drivers from the floppy at this stage? In other words when you insert the floppy and press enter do you get a list of suitable drivers that you are able to choose from?
swedge
+23|6467|haggis hill
well i got it up and running now, i called the guys i got it from and they suggested removing the 3rd drive 320gb and install xp without it connected onto the raid drives and it worked. i just plugged my other HD back in after instalation, so if anyone else has problems with raid i would suggest trying this

cheers all

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard