slicknic
+145|6632
Will doing more push ups increase my max bench weight?

yes/no?  i need to increase my max.. but no access to weights... so can i just do a bunch of pushups?

I want to say no... well it may help my max some... but dont see how lifting a light weight can increase the weight i can actually do.
Jinto-sk
Laid Back Yorkshireman
+183|6598|Scarborough Yorkshire England
I would say yes because it is the same muscles that you use for bench pressing, but only to a degree, constant repitition of a light weight will define and tone your muscles, lifting a heavy weight in short bursts will increase muscle size + strength
So push ups will be good exercise for a few months to improve and tone but you will need to move onto heavier weights after that to increase the strength of your muscles.
Don't forget to warm up + warm down.
Not 100% but thats what I think

P.S. this is what I can remember from A-levels about 10 year ago so make sure you check with a qualified instructor because they change exercise procedures etc all the time.
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6680|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
Also combine what Jinto has correctly said  with stretching your muscles a lot not lifting anything just stretching really so that when you do lift weights eventually your muscles will grow even more.  Theres many ways of increasing muscle size even with no access to weights.  Chin up's, Half Sits (full sits up's damage your neck), squats, and other excersises that I dont have a name for.  Use your bodys weight.
Invaderzim
Chicken wing?
+49|6455|Newcastle NSW Australia
It may help you increase power but not strength. If you want to increase strength you have to gradualy increase the weight you are using once you are able to do about 7 to 8 reps. Say you can lift 75kg 6 times when you first start out, after about a week or 2 of doing that every second day you will have built up the maximum amount of muscle that that lifting that amount of wieght can produce, therefore to increase strength you have to add more weight.

Invaderzim wrote:

It may help you increase power but not strength. If you want to increase strength you have to gradualy increase the weight you are using once you are able to do about 7 to 8 reps. Say you can lift 75kg 6 times when you first start out, after about a week or 2 of doing that every second day you will have built up the maximum amount of muscle that that lifting that amount of wieght can produce, therefore to increase strength you have to add more weight.
This must be the method that the racoon has used in your sig.  I might give it a go myself.
slicknic
+145|6632
any ideas for how i could do things w/ just my bodyweight.  Currently im doing pullups (chinups), situps(maybe ill change that) and some other weird stomach workout.  Im happy w/ those... but i need a way to work out my chest... and perhaps a leg press type exercise.

do u think if i were to be upside down w/ my feet against a wall doing pushups would work out my chest more than a pushup?  or i could possibly put crap on my bed and 'bench' that ;p

for legs...  maybe do each legindividually and...maybe invest in dumbells just for holding/ adding weight

for pullups i also plan on wearing a backpack and adding books for weight... i can do 20 of my own weight.

im still at a loss for dips... the 2 chairs i have are too short/unstable  to hold my full weight.

note.. im in a dorm in college  getting creative ftw.
Do the Turtle?  Place palms on floor under ur belly pointing outwards n try n balance.

Lie on ur back, neck raised and moving side to side touch the side of ur waste.

Grab tins of food/sugar, and pretend ur ski'ing with the items.

Vertical Push up's off the wall?

Lie on back and do 6" leg raises and hold for 30 secs or more.

lol just chuck yourself around and when it hurts a bit and you sweat, stop.....and just repeat the bit that hurt.
Invaderzim
Chicken wing?
+49|6455|Newcastle NSW Australia
With just your body weight its hard because if you want to build strength you need to be using 80-100% of repition maximum (how much you can lift only once).
Your best bet if you dont have any weights is to do isometric exercises. This involves push against a fixed resistance e.g. like push against a wall as hard as you can or pushing your hands together. The good thing about isometric strength training is you can do it anywhere and it will increase your strength by about 5% every 4 weeks if you do it for about 10 minutes every day.
Only problem is its very hard to do isometric exercises with the muscles you use to bench press with. I would sugest standing next  facing the same way as teh wall goes (not facing the wall) and push against it.
If you have a local gym that could help too.

hope this helps, ill try and find out some more to help you though.
Jinto-sk
Laid Back Yorkshireman
+183|6598|Scarborough Yorkshire England
For pecs and surrounding muscles -
1, Stand up straight with a food tin (increase this weight (juice cartons, petrol cans etc) to suit your needs) in each hand and slowly raise the cans so you are in the crucifix position hold for 5 seconds and slowly lower the cans repeat.

2, same as above but this time raise the cans so they are straight out in front of you.

You can do Nos. 1 + 2 laid on the floor.
No 1, Lay in the crucifix position then bring your hands together as if you were to clap
No 2, exactly the same.

3, Press ups with a backpack (to increase weight)

4, the bed idea is good but you need to make sure you position yourself right you don't want the bed moving in an awkward position.

For legs-

1, Calf muscles - Stand on your tip toes then under control lower your heels till they nearly touch the floor, then up again repeat (this is an easy exercise so you might want to look at doing 50 at a time) use a backpack to increase weight. Your calf muscles will burn on this one

2, Quads - stand up straight with your legs shoulder width apart, keeping a straight back lower yourself till you are squating (do not rest on your haunches) then raise, repeat. 
For increased difficulty widen your legs further apart you could also look at adding the backpack. Your thighs will burn on this one

The best exercise i can recommend for legs is cycling and/or running plot out a 5 mile circular route try and make sure it has a couple of decent up hills. If cycling go at it full throttle but always try and use a gear that makes cycling hard so you have to put some effort in (this will improve your stamina and give your legs a good work out).
If running maintain a constant speed but try and attack the hills.

Dumbells would make training a lot easier, you might also want to consider weights that you velcro strap to your wrists and ankles.

Look around outside you may find usefull walls etc that you can use to train with

Finally take care when exercising with make shift weights etc if it feels wrong STOP

Last edited by Jinto-sk (2006-10-17 06:18:33)

Des.Kmal
+917|6624|Atlanta, Georgia, USA
it wont help all that much, i did 200 a day for like a week... raised it 5 pounds. but now i can do a shit load of push ups.

so, all in all, it wont help BENCH but u can do more push ups.

what are u trying to do? raise ur bench max to look good? or look better body wise?
Add me on Origin for Battlefield 4 fun: DesKmal
slicknic
+145|6632

Des.Kmal wrote:

it wont help all that much, i did 200 a day for like a week... raised it 5 pounds. but now i can do a shit load of push ups.

so, all in all, it wont help BENCH but u can do more push ups.

what are u trying to do? raise ur bench max to look good? or look better body wise?
look better body wise... altho this usually means lifting more weights (building size, not being lean)  im pretty skinny but look alot better when i work out w/ weights... so this is pretty much for the girls/ my self esteem.
13rin
+977|6486

slicknic wrote:

Will doing more push ups increase my max bench weight?

yes/no?  i need to increase my max.. but no access to weights... so can i just do a bunch of pushups?

I want to say no... well it may help my max some... but dont see how lifting a light weight can increase the weight i can actually do.
To a point it would.  It would make you more toned in the long run. Vary the position of you hands (spread out more or closer together).  Also put your feet on a stair or chair to also maximize your routine.  Negatives help too (lowering yourself to the ground as slow as you can).  When I did pushups I would lower myself slowly and explode up.  Then I would vary where my hand position were (on the ground)  to target specific areas of my pecs.  I'd do sets of those and then sets where my feet were up higher than my shoulders (kinda like an decline bench).  Don't workout every day to allow your muscles to recover.  Diet is very important too.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
MorbidFetus
+76|6558|Ohio
Eat protein. I only lift now about once every 5 days. It seems like I retain my muscle mass longer since I started eating a lot of tuna/pb/fresh fish and don't have to lift every other/3 days. I'm not trying to get any bigger, just to keep my current build so I'm prolly not the best person to take advice from.

Have you tried dips? No weights needed but you need something stable and elevated (like two posts or hand rails). Great for the tricep with some focus on the pecs. May not help your bench because bench hits your pecks more than your tris. You may not be able to do your own body weight yet and the dip machines at the gym have counterweights (use a chair). I started out on straight up gravity resistance doing only a couple at a time then worked my way up to as many sets of 8-12 reps I could do.

*Do triangle pushups.

Even in my lifting haydays I couldn't do a shitload of pushups. It seems p-ups are more stamina while benching is more strength. It'll help, but not drastically.

Last edited by MorbidFetus (2006-10-17 14:46:03)

slicknic
+145|6632
well i find best for me to work out every day... at least until im wher ei really want to be weight wise.  i can already do dips.. but theres nothing in my dorm sturdy, and high enough to do them.   

ill try triangle pushups... dont know what that would really work but eh ;p  im also going to try putting my backpack on my back while i do pushups.. and maybe try to push really fast when i come up for maximum force.

oh.. idea for dips...    i use my clothes rack for a pullup bar currently... so maybe i could tie a rope around it w/ hand grips and do dips like that.. would require alot of balance but i think im up for it.

Last edited by slicknic (2006-10-17 19:23:21)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard