ricardo1978
+0|6749
My Humble Opinion;

A point that I haven't seen as yet is that just about any conflict the US has been involved in they have profited and benefited greatly from.

WW2: before the US entered the war they were profiting greatly from lend lease programs with the UK where they would supply arms, (ships, ammunition etc,etc) in exchange for territory owned by the UK. Perhaps if they had of entered earlier fewer lives may have been lost.

Vietnam: The US arms industry profited greatly from this conflict, Bell industries, Lockheed etc

The Gulf: The Carlyle group has profited profusely from this conflict, suppliers of Abrams Tanks and other arms ventures, George Bush Senior, Dick Cheney are board members

The list goes on

Osama Bin Laden was supported by the US with arms to fight the russians in the 80's and then abandoned, no wonder he's pissed off.

The Taliban were put into power by the US as a puppet regeime so to enable the US to build a pipeline through their country into the Kazachstan gas fields when compliance was refused propaganda was espoused about human rights violations and the harbouring of terrorists.

Saddam Hussein was put into power by the US and was a close personal friend of George Bush Senior and even informed his government that he planned to invade Kuwait because of border incursions,  when he no longer complied with Oil requests the US felt that this was a perfect opportunity to teach him a lesson thus he became the most evil man in the world and don't forget all his WMD (biological,chemical etc) technologies were supplied by the US to fight Iranians that were being supported by the Russians.

America's constant Aggressive foreign diplomacy and self serving nature  has always been the cause of other nations taking a aggressive stance against them ( cause and effect ).

I am an Australian and sick and tired of our government blindly following a nation where half of its people could not even identify our country on a globe let alone know how their own works.
BigSwoll
+0|6753|Gahanna, Ohio

ubersoldat...dos sniper wrote:

as a citizen of the u.s. i think its fair to say i can say shit about my own country. the war was a huge mistake they crashed into our towers then we kill about 10 times as many ppl of theirs i think that covers payback.  time to insult bush. that asshole. well he is. he cant say a speech of his own to save his life, we also had osama or it was sadam not exactly sure. well anyway we had one of em here and our wonderful president had a relationship with the family of the guy and he shipped the guy back home to iraq or afgan. how rediculous is that. what a douche bag. plus hes all talkin about weapons of mass destruction. destruction my ass all they got is weapons we gave them to fight their stupid war and oil. oh yeah they have rocks also. if i could get away with it and if i was insane i would end bush's presidential stay in the white house. there is no point in our troops being in there except for them to die. we've already scared the shit outa both osama and sadam like they are gonna attack the u.s. again. if anything we should just nuke their asses now. we are spending a shitload of taxes (1.3 billion dollars) i'm not sure what the exchange rates are these days so i wont do it. you can if you want. well hes spending all that on damn school and clinics for the bitch dirt bags. when we need it for our own schools. and its not like hes payin for this himself. so now all of our taxes will be sky high. then during the sunami(spelt that wrong) in asia guess what bush donates a shit load of money to the god damn gooks or who ever got hit. then other countries donated aswell but i dont really care about what they spent. but bush and i think it was england donated a good deal of money, and bush has the nerve to out donate the country. as if that was gonna prove some kind of point. are county is already 3.5 trillian dollars into dept. then along comes this donating then the schools and clinic there goes a few more billion dollars yay more dept. who in the us voted for this dip shit you should be shot along with bush. its the pointless killing of our troops is what gets me. its like if they were fighting a country tryin to take over a friendly county i could agree with that. but fighting for weapons of mass destruction, yeah right. its just so outrages.
What the hell is this slop?  Paragraphs?  You have no idea what you're talking about.

Also...watching Fahrenheit 9/11 probably isnt' the best source to get your information, since the entire movie is pretty much lies and half truths.  Try picking up a book or doing some actual reading yourself. 

Here's a place to start:

59 Deceits of Fahrenheit 9/11

Last edited by BigSwoll (2005-12-13 04:12:38)

shingara
+0|6812|the motherland uk
someone else just pointed out what i think is a very valid point, china is a very potent enemy to have. what do u think would happen if china one day just thought, hmm they are opressing that countrys beliefs by forcing there own upon them, they even torture ppl!, thats a crime,
           they murder convicted murderers, thats inhuman in this day and age of civilisation. an eye for an eye isnt justice, what if after they have been killed they are found inocent by new technology.

they think they can control other countrys buisness as if it were there own, i.e iran. and force there laws upon them, they dont even look after there own ppl in a major natural disaster, we shall go in there and take out this government and give true democrecy to there citizens,

what do u think exactly the us would do then. who exactly do u think would back u up in this fight.  so many enemys in this modern world and the russians are bestist buds with the chinese and even have a co-op force together, and we cant say that there is much love lost between ruskies and yanks can we.

and if its spelt wrong i appologize, im dyslexic and cannot be helped at times

Last edited by shingara (2005-12-13 04:41:48)

shingara
No. It won't. No murder can ever be in the name of Allah. If you'd know anything about islam you'd knew that. Don't be ignorant.
Just like no murder can be in the name of Christ? lol Crusades

it was in the name of god and yes it can, read up u will be shocked, on both counts
Nehil
+3|6770|South Sweden (NOT SWITZERLAND)

shingara wrote:

No. It won't. No murder can ever be in the name of Allah. If you'd know anything about islam you'd knew that. Don't be ignorant.

it was in the name of god and yes it can, read up u will be shocked, on both counts
If I were to kill in the name of "Shingara" would that make you promurder? Think about it, the Koran says that it's forbidden to kill, it says that if you kill one human you kill the whole humanity. You CAN NOT MURDER IN THE NAME OF ALLAH YOU IGNORANT. I'm not even muslim, I'm a catholic, but even I know what the Koran says. Read more then the headlines on FOX.
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6883|Waikato, Aotearoa
Is the US the biggest aggressor of the 20th C?? not likely.
Having studied 20th C history when I was @ school, I have come the conclusion that the biggest military aggressors of the 20th C, are in fact Germany (started and lost 2 World Wars - within a period of 20 years no less), and Japan (invaded China and South East Asia, and bombed the US, a neutral country).
At this time the US are in a war they shouldnt have started, (and having started, cant quite figure out how to stop)...... I mean dont get me wrong Saddam was VERY bad news and had to go, but the were better ways of going about it than illegally (without UN approval) invading Iraq.
As for Vietnam, the US were asked by a friendly country (South Vietnam), to help defeat a Communist insurgency from North Vietnam. Australia and New Zealand were only dragged into the conflict because of the ANZUS Treaty.
Before you all start getting anti-US and assume that the US starts most conflicts I suggest you all start reading history and the reasons why conflicts happen.

Last edited by -101-InvaderZim (2005-12-15 02:57:40)

BigSwoll
+0|6753|Gahanna, Ohio

ricardo1978 wrote:

In reply to Bigswoll
Also...watching Fahrenheit 9/11 probably isnt' the best source to get your information, since the entire movie is pretty much lies and half truths.  Try picking up a book or doing some actual reading yourself. 

Sorry about the paragraphs
Do you deny that the US wasn't involved in lend lease programs with the UK during WW2 or that Bell didn't profit from Vietnam or Osama wasn't supported by the US or that the Taliban wasn't installed by the US or that George senior wasn't on the board of Carlyle (and sorry I mistakenly said Dick Cheney instead of James Baker a close personal friend of the Bush family) or that Saddam wasn't supported by the US until he no longer towed the line. All of this information can be substantiated via the internet or many other reputable publications.
Let me guess you are a republican. Maybe you should go sit on your sofa suck down a cheeseburger drink a coke have a smoke then go for a drive in your caddy getting 1 mile per gallon then come home take one of your automatic weapons (probably the one in the holster your playing with right now) and blow your own head off. Can you identify the countries of which you comment on a map. Your President is an idiot who couldn't make it in the commercial world and can't make it in the polical realm unless his way has been paid for. And being that my country follows the US into every battle I think it gives me the right to comment Don't foget your mates in Australia the 53rd state of the US (and the best).
Wow...you jumped all over me and I wasn't even talking to YOU.  You want to agrue and sling mud so bad you don't even READ what's posted.  And then you personally slanderize me and tell me to kill myself?  And here I was, digging up tons of info to rebuke some of your post here, but fuck that.  I'm not even going to address you, Mr. Dundee. 

To recap:

LEARN HOW TO READ

Last edited by BigSwoll (2005-12-14 08:34:12)

Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6876

REDTEAM wrote:

China is going to turn US into a gaint crater
Just like US poeple want to turn mid east into a crater
history is strewn with the wreckage of Countries that Were going to turn " The USA into a big crater "
ad china when you are ready.
shingara

Nehil wrote:

shingara wrote:

If I were to kill in the name of "Shingara" would that make you promurder? Think about it, the Koran says that it's forbidden to kill, it says that if you kill one human you kill the whole humanity. You CAN NOT MURDER IN THE NAME OF ALLAH YOU IGNORANT. I'm not even muslim, I'm a catholic, but even I know what the Koran says. Read more then the headlines on FOX.
well ow look, flame flame flame, read it properly, the top bits a quote,  go back a few posts then u may say sorry, and actually ppl did kill in the name of shingara he was one of g khans warlords.
shingara

Horseman 77 wrote:

REDTEAM wrote:

history is strewn with the wreckage of Countries that Were going to turn " The USA into a big crater "
techincally it has been done, usa was conquered by us the brits, u got your indepence from us, because we all know we let the bible bashers go because we loved em so much,

and on a side note america is dot years old compared to nearly every country on the planet. in fact what was it called before america.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6876

shingara wrote:

Horseman 77 wrote:

REDTEAM wrote:

techincally it has been done, usa was conquered by us the brits, u got your indepence from us, because we all know we let the bible bashers go because we loved em so much,

and on a side note america is dot years old compared to nearly every country on the planet. in fact what was it called before america.
Britian Didnt't conquer The USA they settled an area that was occupied by loose tribes of natives. The USA became a Country by kicking the " Brits out of thier own possesion " To date that has been the only Millitary action between The USA and GB. A few farmers and trappers kicked a professional armys ass.

USA making money from WARS? not really some american companies make money during wars. is that what you meant to say?

Bible bashers?

I canot understand your last sentence. Unless you mean what did the Natives call thier country? Everyone is an emigrant here The very oldest fossil of man recorded in the Americas appears to be Norse. This pisses off the American Indians a bit.
chitlin
Banned
+36|6802
I am an Australian and sick and tired of our government blindly following a nation where half of its people could not even identify our country on a globe let alone know how their own works.
well get used to it cause no matter how ungratefull you are your govt recognises what a crucial ally we have been and are gratefull. i like that you base your opinion of americans on some stupid video where dude tricks people into misidentifying austrailia .. nice source..

Your President is an idiot who couldn't make it in the commercial world and can't make it in the polical realm unless his way has been paid for.
im no big fan of bush but none of that is really true. he graduated from yale. what prestigous ivy league school did you graduate from ? he was a miilionaire from the energy business and became a multimillionaire from the rangers. you can do better ? hes a horrible speaker but ask any political anaylst and theyll tell you he has political genious behind that dufus demeanor.

To date that has been the only Millitary action between The USA and GB
oh and dont forget the war of 1812 .. in many ways it was more significant than the revolutionary war

Last edited by chitlin (2005-12-15 23:08:48)

FeloniousMonk
+0|6774

shingara wrote:

Yet America has one of the longest running governments in the world. Ever since the American Revolution other nations have been rising up against their tyrants.

Horseman 77 wrote:

I canot understand your last sentence. Unless you mean what did the Natives call thier country? Everyone is an emigrant here The very oldest fossil of man recorded in the Americas appears to be Norse. This pisses off the American Indians a bit.
Hell, people need to realize that unless you're currently living in northeast Africa you are not living in the land of your ancestors. Even the native americans weren't truly native to this land.
chitlin
Banned
+36|6802
Yet America has one of the longest running governments in the world
whos is longer? just curious..
Nehil
+3|6770|South Sweden (NOT SWITZERLAND)

chitlin wrote:

Possibly the brits.
Erkut.hv
+124|6774|California

Nehil wrote:

chitlin wrote:

Possibly the brits.
Didn't they have a king and some crap like that when our boys were throwing the Constituition together? Chasing around dragons with catapults and stuff....

Kidding, but I think we (The US) have the longest running government. We had an attempted coup in the civil war, but that didn't work, so the 225+ year streak goes on.
FeloniousMonk
+0|6774

Nehil wrote:

chitlin wrote:

Possibly the brits.
Most certainly not. They continued to be a monarchy long after 1776. The whole point of the American Revolution was to get away from that form of government.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6880|Cologne, Germany

wow. How could I miss this thread ?

After actually having read through all 13 pages, I take the opportunity to add my 2 cents. Feel free to comment, swearing or ethnic slurs will not be tolerated though.

Has the US been the greatest military aggressors of the last century ? No. Having caused two world wars, that trophee goes to germany ( or the krauts, bratwursts, as someone else has put it ever so eloquently ).

Did the US support for the allies have a considerable ( if not decisive ) influence on the outcome of WWII ?
Absolutely.

Would Hitler have won the war if the US hadn't supported Brits and Russians alike ? Impossible to tell from today's perspective. Arguments could probably be found for both sides. I happen to believe that the fact germany had to fight on two fronts after Hitler broke the pact with Stalin didn't help much either.
Then again, Hitler was a madman. Madmen don't win global conflicts.

Which leads me to my second point. WWI and WWII were global conflicts, being fought on a much larger scale and with much larger implications and consequences than the regional conflicts we have been facing since then ( corea, vietnam, the balcans, the first gulf war ).

The UN were created just after WWII to ensure that all sovereign nations could work together on a political basis and to help avoid having another global conflict. It is essentially a peace-keeping institution. And with all its weaknesses it has helped for a lot of decades to preserve world peace. The UN is not the world's police. It is merely a place were sovereign nations can meet and try to resolve their difficulties in a peaceful manner. Considering its relatively short existence ( by historical dimensions, that is ) I believe the UN has achieved a lot. Even my american friends, who had not so many friendly words for the UN with regard to their handling of the iraqu affair can not deny that.

Now, the emphasis with the UN lies on the fact that they deal with sovereign nations. through history, every sovereign nation on planet earth has defined its national interests quite differently, and the UN has made it its priority only to interfere with every nation's right to solely decide on the means to protect their interests if there was no other way. thus, military action against one of its members must be the last resort.

on the other hand, ever since the monroe doctrine, the US has defined their global interests quite "loosely",
basically saying it will reserve the right to protect US interests with all means appropriate, everywhere on the planet. Over the past years, the implications of this doctrine has largely undermined UN's credibility up to a point where the newly assigned US ambassador to the UN questioned the necessity to be in the UN after all.
Lately, the US has been rather critical about the UN, especially after 9/11 and as its handling of the Iraq affair.

Personally, I would have wished the US had decided to let the IAEO do their work and not invade Iraq, but Bush obviously chose differently. Why ? Because he could, because he needed to present an enemy in the global war on terror, because of the oil, because of  US strategic interests in the region, because of guilt. pick one of these, as far as I am concerned it was a combination of all of those reasons.

Up to that point, every military action after WWII the US was involved in was justified in some way or another ( corea, vietnam, the balcans, afghanistan ), and in a lot of these cases, US forces were carrying out a UN mandate.

The attack on iraq though, was unprovoked, basically an act of war against a sovereign nation, a member of the UN. The UN itself could do nothing about it. They have to rely on the will of each member to keep to the principles the UN was created to protect.

Now, don't get me wrong here. I know Saddam was a bad man, a tyran, and the world is probably better off without him. My point is, the US had no right to decide when he should be removed. Forcing your will on another sovereign nation like that is not fighting terrorism or fighting for freedom or democracy, it is shitting on the values you claim to defend. At  the time, Saddam was not a threat to anyone outside of his own territories , surely not to the US. At the time, he had no WMD. And he had nothing to do with the 9/11 attacks either.
a safe haven for terrorists ? come on, these people hide everywhere, most of them weren't even iraqis but from saudi arabia ( like osama ). But have we seen the US attack the saudis ?

Will the US campaign in iraq be a success ? As someone else has put it, it is far too early to tell. As far as I am concerned, there will be no peace in iraq for at least another 10 to 15 years. you cannot force democracy on people. It needs to develop within them, possibly over hundreds of years. europe has learned that lesson, and I do hope the US will some day.

"Bombing for democracy is like fucking for virginity"

with all that said, I believe the US foreign policy in the middle east has been incredibly short-sighted over the last 30 years.

ricardo1978 wrote:

Osama Bin Laden was supported by the US with arms to fight the russians in the 80's and then abandoned, no wonder he's pissed off.

The Taliban were put into power by the US as a puppet regeime so to enable the US to build a pipeline through their country into the Kazachstan gas fields when compliance was refused propaganda was espoused about human rights violations and the harbouring of terrorists.

Saddam Hussein was put into power by the US and was a close personal friend of George Bush Senior and even informed his government that he planned to invade Kuwait because of border incursions,  when he no longer complied with Oil requests the US felt that this was a perfect opportunity to teach him a lesson thus he became the most evil man in the world and don't forget all his WMD (biological,chemical etc) technologies were supplied by the US to fight Iranians that were being supported by the Russians.
history has strange ways to deal with us. Basically, US troops are now fighting two regimes / organisations the US helped put up in the first place.

well, at least you are trying to clean up after yourselves...

Don't get me wrong here. I admire what the US is willing to do to preserve their idea of "democracy" and promote "freedom". And I respect what they have done for us in the past.

It is the underlying motivation and their methods today that I question. and judging by the failing support for the war in iraq in the US, I am not alone.

so, what's ahead ? iran ? syria ? maybe north corea ? only time will tell. whatever turn US foreign policy might take in the coming years, I sincerely hope that one sentence from the cold war era remains present in US minds. It goes something like "we all live on the same planet, we all breathe the same air, we all care about the future of our children"...

sorry, cannot remember the exact quote. You all know who said it, I suppose.

thx to everyone who took the time to read through all of this.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6876
To date that has been the only Millitary action between The USA and GB

oh and dont forget the war of 1812 .. in many ways it was more significant than the revolutionary war

That was a Quasi War and some refer to it as the second War of independence most people consider it part of the Same Conflict. If not then we really humiliated them with our fledgling Navy of a few Frigates.

In truth I do dumb down my responses here in the interest of speed. I didn't know your where there and watching. Most people here can be kinda stupid like the asshole who Condemns our whole country because a few Liberal Welfare cases couldn't find Australia on a map. I will be more carefull. Thanks Merry Christmas
chitlin
Banned
+36|6802
Revolutionary War     

casualties 10,623 deaths 4,435

War of 1812

casualties 6,765  deaths 2,260

if the war of 1812 was quasi then so is the revoltionary war .. it is not considered the same conflict by most people by any means.. it occured 36 years after and i guranty any histirian you ask will not say it is the same war ...
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6876

chitlin wrote:

Revolutionary War     

casualties 10,623 deaths 4,435

War of 1812

casualties 6,765  deaths 2,260

if the war of 1812 was quasi then so is the revoltionary war .. it is not considered the same conflict by most people by any means.. it occured 36 years after and i guranty any histirian you ask will not say it is the same war ...
we still beat them,,,,
chitlin
Banned
+36|6802
heh im aware ...
shingara

FeloniousMonk wrote:

Nehil wrote:

chitlin wrote:

Possibly the brits.
Most certainly not. They continued to be a monarchy long after 1776. The whole point of the American Revolution was to get away from that form of government.
hmm, long after u say, WE STILL HAVE ONE.

and the government goes back way longer than that, and definetlky longer back than when u lot went trundling off to the new land. and are u forgeting about france who is younger than ours but way much older than yours. dont forget the fact that it wasnt and isnt just english that went there, but half the world is in america when it comes to races. and u had the help of france, spit
FeloniousMonk
+0|6774

shingara wrote:

FeloniousMonk wrote:

Nehil wrote:

Possibly the brits.
hmm, long after u say, WE STILL HAVE ONE.

and the government goes back way longer than that, and definetlky longer back than when u lot went trundling off to the new land. and are u forgeting about france who is younger than ours but way much older than yours. dont forget the fact that it wasnt and isnt just english that went there, but half the world is in america when it comes to races. and u had the help of france, spit
Uh, you're not run by a monarchy. The Crown does not make state decisions like it did back in the days of the American Revolution. Britain is not under the same form of government it was then.
Sarum
The Angry Geek
+11|6886
Nothing like a good bit of USA bashing to get everyone’s blood pressure up, eh?

I think maybe our first question really ought to be how we're defining "greatest". Started the most wars? Started the wars that resulting in the most deaths? Won the most wars? Something else entirely? Because the answer might well depend on the question you’re asking.

There can be little doubt the WWI and WWII were the biggest wars the world has seen, and Germany has the dubious honour of being the aggressor in both of them, so I suppose that gives them a fairly solid claim to being the "greatest" aggressor.

Having said that, the US has been involved in a lot more wars, especially post WWII. Much smaller in scale, yes, but they've hardly been out of conflict since 1914. It'd take quite a bit of stats digging to actually say for certain whether all the wars the US has fought in adds up to more casualties than the two World Wars.

The quiet and reserved British Isles aren’t doing too badly for themselves in these stakes either. In a similar way to the US, the UK has fought a large number of wars and small scale conflicts almost continuously since the turn of the century. (Take a look a the Wikipedia timelines of American Military History and British Military History There’s a whole lot of wars and conflicts most people have never heard of.)

And lets not forget Africa (because far too many people do). Over the last century it’s been the continuous host to a very large number of wars, most of which we never hear of here in the west. Some of these last for decades, and I very much doubt anyone has tried to properly count the casualties. It’s probably safe to say millions have died fighting for causes we aren’t even aware of.

You might want to define "aggressor" too, since I think our governments would rather us not bill the Iraq wars as aggression on our part. We're defending any number of different things, liberating, fighting for freedom, for democracy, for whatever, it's a pre-emptive defensive move because he's got weapons, or wants them, is friends with terrorists, or might be. In my opinion, despite the old adage that "the best form of defence is attack", I don't think pre-emptive strikes count as anything but aggression. If I went around kicking the shit out of all the kids that hang out around the shops drinking, I very much doubt I'd be able to plead pre-emptive self defence on the ground that drunken teenagers sometimes get a little uppity. It'd be GBH and assault, and I'd spend some time in jail for it.

Maybe we’re asking the wrong question. Drawing our lines along international boundaries is silly. They’re just imaginary fences drawn by years of conflicts and built out of nationalistic propaganda that tries to tell us that “this side of the imaginary line is different”.

Humanity is without doubt, the most aggressive species on the planet. It doesn’t really matter where you’re born, what language you speak or what colour your skin is. We fight wars over whatever excuse comes to mind at the time, be that our various Gods and beliefs, our economic or political systems, over money, territory, oil, diamonds, over vague ideals like freedom and justice. We sometimes even fight them without any real attempt at justification beyond “because we can”. In the end it all comes down to the same thing. The struggle to be and prove ourselves, superior, and to crush any threat to that superiority. An evolutionary instinct gone haywire in our allegedly civilised world. Something we feel more strongly than any species on the planet. It’s why we are where we are, at the top of the food chain, the Alpha Species. It’s built deep into our collective psyche, intrinsically linked with the desire to survive. We’ve always fought. We always will.

The answer to the question “which country has been the greatest military aggressor” is simple: The one that had most opportunity.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard