cannonfodder18
+13|6541| NS Canada
I was playing bf2 a while back when all of a sudden my screen went black. I tried all kinds of things to no avail. So I changed my video card (X700) back to my old 1 (radeon 9200). It worked fine. I sent my card away to be fixed. Meanwhile my buddy gives me an old card he had so I could at least play bf2. It was a G-force 5700LE. About a week later poof, that 1 stopped working . so I get my card back(they said it had no display or something) and like a moron I put it back in. 1 week later and poof, same fucking thing. Yet my old radeon still works great. Can anyone tell me why my comp keeps blowing video cards? No way Im putting in another one till i get this figured out. HELP! please!
slicknic
+145|6632
my guess.. shitty power supply or motherboard?  just a guess.  also put your comp on a surge protector...
cannonfodder18
+13|6541| NS Canada
my comp is on a surge protector. I just cant figure out why it burns out those newer ones and not my old crappy one. Also I havent had any problems til now. do power supplies a M/Bs go like that all af a sudden?
Warning Im not great with computers so please be gentle...
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6708|New York
Your new card has a seprate power plug right? And your old ones dont if i remember correctly. If thats the case, Its sounding to me like the card is getting a power spike some place down the road or its getting too much for a long period and its frying the cards.

A bit more info on the computer would help. Like brand, and all that info. How old is it? Ect.
MastersMom
YOUR mom goes to college
+61|6662
Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot to offer here, but just for clarification there is a difference between a power strip and a surge protector.  Just because you have everything plugged into a power strip doesn't mean the power strip is a surge protector.  If power surges are the problem make sure you actually have a surge protector with some sort of regulator...usually they'll have some sort of fuse or breaker built in incase the power surges too high.

Otherwise, is it a possibility (maybe???) that your cooling fan can't handle the heat created by the new vid card?  It sounds like your mobo can handle it if your able to play with it to begin with, so I would think it would be something else, especially if your old card still works.  I dunno, good luck.
Computer_Guy
+54|6703
i have that problem too but i dont worry about it. It goes black for me then a few seconds later it comes back. But that wont be a problem for when i get my new computer in a month or two.
cannonfodder18
+13|6541| NS Canada
neither the radeon or the g-force card have separate plug ins but it blew the g-force. It is definately a surge protector, not a power strip. My comp was for me by a friend. It has an ASUS M\B a p530 I think. 1.5 gig ram. p4 3.0 gig processor. That is about all I know.
cannonfodder18
+13|6541| NS Canada
Mine went black and STAYED black its been 3 days now. I dont think its coming back.
dubbs
+105|6638|Lexington, KY

cannonfodder18 wrote:

I was playing bf2 a while back when all of a sudden my screen went black. I tried all kinds of things to no avail. So I changed my video card (X700) back to my old 1 (radeon 9200). It worked fine. I sent my card away to be fixed. Meanwhile my buddy gives me an old card he had so I could at least play bf2. It was a G-force 5700LE. About a week later poof, that 1 stopped working . so I get my card back(they said it had no display or something) and like a moron I put it back in. 1 week later and poof, same fucking thing. Yet my old radeon still works great. Can anyone tell me why my comp keeps blowing video cards? No way Im putting in another one till i get this figured out. HELP! please!
A few questions for you, what type of port does your 9200 use?  (PCI, AGP, PCI-e)  Do the other cards use the same type of port?  If they are using different ports, then it may be the port that you are plugging them into.  Also, if all three cards use the same port, make for sure you plug the new cards into the same port that your 9200 was in.
cannonfodder18
+13|6541| NS Canada
yeah they are in the same agp port.
cannonfodder18
+13|6541| NS Canada
Its time to build a new comp n e way. Gonna get my buddy tobuild me something. replacing every damn thing but the case. can anyone tell me if this card is any good? SAPPHIRE ATI X 1600 PRO 512M DDR2 TV+DVI PCI-X

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard