• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • 7800 gt, 20-40 fps avg on a full 64 player server. Why??
lendll
+16|6435
Well I called eVGA's tech support, but they couldn't help me. All they suggested was that I try the card in another system to see if it works in the PCIe x16 slot(despite my old 7900 gt working fine in this sytem's PCIe 16x slot), or rma it. And if the card is working fine when I rma it, I'll have the same problem when I get the card back. I doubt my PCIe 16x slot is the problem, because my 7900 gt that I gave away worked fine in it. bleh=]
slo5oh
+28|6663

lendll wrote:

I'm definitely not buying a new cpu now, lol. I've never overclocked 600-700 mhz on STOCK VOLTAGE/STOCK COOLING!!:p ... I'm going to if I can find out by calling eVGA and going to their forum, etc.

Thanks for your help, later!:p
Happy to help.
My current opteron was able to get up around 2.7Ghz on stock voltage with just an AC Freezer 64 pro ($20 to $30 HSF).  I've had to add a little voltage to get her up to the 2.88 I'm at now, but adding voltage is a slippery slope to higher temps and needing more cooling.  You'd be surprised what the stock dual core HSF can do.  It should have heat pipes.  Depending on your stepping that CPU should (at best) be able to get up around 2.7 or 2.8 even with the stock cooler.  What stepping is your CPU?
Have you tried a full removal of the Nvidia driver (then reboot) and reinstall?  That would be my first step.  After that I'd slap a new HDD in it (since I have spares) and do a clean install of XP.  If the clean install fixes the problem you're probably looking at a full day reloading and configuring your system, but it's not nearly as bad as waiting 2 weeks for a new card.
lendll
+16|6435

slo5oh wrote:

lendll wrote:

I'm definitely not buying a new cpu now, lol. I've never overclocked 600-700 mhz on STOCK VOLTAGE/STOCK COOLING!!:p ... I'm going to if I can find out by calling eVGA and going to their forum, etc.

Thanks for your help, later!:p
Happy to help.
My current opteron was able to get up around 2.7Ghz on stock voltage with just an AC Freezer 64 pro ($20 to $30 HSF).  I've had to add a little voltage to get her up to the 2.88 I'm at now, but adding voltage is a slippery slope to higher temps and needing more cooling.  You'd be surprised what the stock dual core HSF can do.  It should have heat pipes.  Depending on your stepping that CPU should (at best) be able to get up around 2.7 or 2.8 even with the stock cooler.  What stepping is your CPU?
Have you tried a full removal of the Nvidia driver (then reboot) and reinstall?  That would be my first step.  After that I'd slap a new HDD in it (since I have spares) and do a clean install of XP.  If the clean install fixes the problem you're probably looking at a full day reloading and configuring your system, but it's not nearly as bad as waiting 2 weeks for a new card.
Thx for your response=]
Highest I can oc is 2.5 ghz stock voltage, but then I'm not able to play crash free. When I raise my voltage, I can't get into windows it seems, but it might be due to the cpu's temperature, cuz at 2.4 ghz, when I quit a few hours game of bf2 and go into the bios, the temp is dropping from around 47 c, so it coulda been around 48+ while I was in the game(I can't get mbm to work my with mobo). I ordered some artic silver 5 last night, because I've taken off the hsf off my opty so many times that I'm sure the thermal paste is doing little to keep the temps down. I'll get a new hsf asap, but I'll try my luck getting a higher oc once the artic silver 5 paste settles=] (oh btw, how do I clean the old paste to apply the as5?)

With my 7800 gt in the 16x slot, I'm not even able to boot into bios. I just get some beeps that indicate the cpu is missing, and something else. But I did call my mobo's tech support, and they ran me through some troubleshooting to see if it was the mobo, and according to them, it wasn't. Until I can test the card in another system's 16x slot and see if it works, and until I can afford a worthy upgrade, I'll have to stick to getting the most juice out of my cpu as possible.

Oh, and my cpu's stepping is: CCBWE 0551WPMW. If I recall correctly, I couldn't read the stepping clearly because I forgot to write it down before I put the hsf on.

Thanks for your help, later:D

Last edited by lendll (2006-10-12 21:54:45)

slo5oh
+28|6663

lendll wrote:

Thx for your response=]
Highest I can oc is 2.5 ghz stock voltage...the temp is dropping from around 47 ... I can't get mbm to work my with mobo... I ordered some artic silver 5 last night...oh btw, how do I clean the old paste to apply the as5?

With my 7800 gt in the 16x slot, I'm not even able to boot into bios. I just get some beeps that indicate the cpu is missing, and something else. But I did call my mobo's tech support, and they ran me through some troubleshooting to see if it was the mobo, and according to them, it wasn't. Until I can test the card in another system's 16x slot and see if it works, and until I can afford a worthy upgrade, I'll have to stick to getting the most juice out of my cpu as possible.

Oh, and my cpu's stepping is: CCBWE 0551WPMW. If I recall correctly, I couldn't read the stepping clearly because I forgot to write it down before I put the hsf on.

Thanks for your help, later:D
First, it looks like yours is not the best stepping, but you should still be able to see 2.7 or 2.8 with some serious Vcore increases.  opteron database
Download and install prime95 and speed fan.  Speedfan will work with your motherboard whatever one it is.  Sometimes it's confusing and the different sensors are mislabled, but you'll know in a couple seconds of running Prime95 what sensor your CPU temp is on.  You need to test out your OCing before you jump into a game.  I usually OC until prime95 fails, then back it down a hair and run either overnight or start it before I go to work.  You want to Prime it for HOURS to be sure it's stable.
The new AC5 will help some... I've never been one to put much belief into "wrecking" thermal compound by going on and off with the HSF multiple times, but I'm no engineer either.  Rubbing alcohol with decent paper towel is what I use to clean TP and AC5 when i need to.  The alcohol will help clean it off and will evaporate quickly to leave a dry surface.
I don't know if you live near a Fry's, but they've put a 7600gs on sale a couple times for around $50 after a mail in rebate.  That would be a decent card that will keep you playing, although not at high settings.  I haven't checked todays Fry's ad yet so I don't know if it's back.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6603|132 and Bush

Run task manager while you are playing and go back and look at the performance tab. See how hard your Cpu is working while in game.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
lendll
+16|6435
Sup guys, thanks for your posts=]

I ran prime95 for 3 and 8 hours, and both times it was rock stable. So 2.4 ghz(stock volts) and DDR 443(1t) seems to be the highest I can oc without being unstable. I think I know why. When I was running prime95 last night, my temps would be around 50. I think that's too high. I ordered a Zalman CNPS9500 LED CPU Cooler last night, to see if that'll lower my temps decently, and help me achieve at least 2.6. At 2.6 ghz, Quake 4's fps was noticably better than 2.4 ghz, but it would crash after like 5-10 minutes of play. So 2.6 to 2.7 is my new goal:d

I went to the opteron database, but they don't have my exact stepping. I put on the ac5, but that didn't really lower my temps. But it's still too early to tell cuz I guess it didn't settle down yet.

When I'm playing bf2, my cpu usage is around 56%.

Thanks for the posts guys! I'll report my results when I get my new cpu cooler.

Later:P

Last edited by lendll (2006-10-15 23:29:42)

GAIKIWARRIOR
Judge Death
+64|6746|PERTH WESTERN AUSTRALIA

Aegis wrote:

Des.Kmal wrote:

also, bf2 hates dual cores from what ive seen. in two internet cafes... both blowed when i put it on high settings. even medium..... kindof......
My dualie does quite well... BF2 doesn't hate any one particular piece of hardware, just shitty hardware in general.
i got a amd 64x2 4200 2 gigs ram 7600gt . my bf2 plays on both cores on max setting and real smooth frame rate . its not dual cores its bf2 its crap
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6704|New York

lendll wrote:

Thank you for your help guys! It's very appreciated.

Des.Kmal wrote:

its ur CPU!!! holy shit!1 get a new one.

sry though, thats why, everything else is good dude, dw about those. its ur cpu's fault. its ghey!!!
I will get a new cpu *if* it will fix my problem 90% guaranteed. And I assume you mean get a single-core, higher clocked cpu, right? Do you think you can provide some facts or evidence that a new cpu will help me? When I was building my computer, everybody told me go dual-core. On top of that, I even read reviews showing that when the graphics are maxed out, dual-core and single-core processors perform the same, and the fps burden falls onto the graphics card:/

I would just like to make a wise decision this time around, as I don't understand how I'm not getting the results I should.

O btw, does "dw" mean don't worry? lol;p

Thx yall, later:p

*edit* my mobo doesn't support sli =/ So far getting a new cpu is in the lead, which is very good, since they are very cheap.
Ok Before you get bent out of shape, Because it seems noone will give you an answer In the first 5 replies(it was all i could stand), That processor you have is THE BEAST of overclocking processors. Without a doubt it would Kick ass overclocked. You have the right memory and board.  Goto www.overclockers.com and read up on doing it.

If you dont want to go that route, goto your Mobos website, see what Processors your board supports, and get either a new A64 single core(there very cheap now) or a Nice 4800+X2 (also low in price now if your board will support it.

Now, im not saying youer processor is at fault, Because your opty IS a server processor and Should be kicking ass, If it isnt your processor, It very well could be your LAN Card or your Internet connection itself. A 10meg line is pretty much standard now, and gigabit LAN cards are also. If your running anything less than a 10/100/1000 LAN card in that computer with all them fancy parts in it, Your going to get crappy performance.

BTW your memory is Fine and so is your vidio card. Look at your other parts.

Last edited by <[onex]>Headstone (2006-10-15 20:06:25)

slo5oh
+28|6663

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

Ok Before you get bent out of shape, Because it seems noone will give you an answer In the first 5 replies(it was all i could stand)...BTW your memory is Fine and so is your vidio card. Look at your other parts.
If you're not going to at least skim through the rest of the posts you should at least have read the OP.  His video card (yes a very nice one) is LOCKED AT 2x PCI-e.

Oh and OP, 50* is not too hot.  60* is pushing it a little so stay under that, but 50 is just getting warm for an opteron. 
lendll
+16|6435
Thanks for your posts guys!!

Hey Headstone=]
Right now my opty  is at ~2.4 ghz, so it should be running around the same speed the x2 4800+ runs at. My ethernet integrated card is pretty up to par too=]

Hey Gaikiwarrior=]
When I play bf2, it only runs on one core(well, it says my cpu is being used at %56). How is your bf2 running on both cores? Maybe that'll help me get better fps:p

Hey Slo5oh=]

slo5oh wrote:

Oh and OP, 50* is not too hot.  60* is pushing it a little so stay under that, but 50 is just getting warm for an opteron. 
Woot! That's good news=] That makes me wonder why my opteron isn't pushing pass 2.5 ghz stable. Maybe it's my voltage being set too low? 2.6, or especially 2.7 ghz would be really sweet. I'm now very tempted to bump my vcore up to 1.5, and see if that helps any. And WOW, 60* is the no-go point, and prime95 had my cpu at 50*? That's realll good aint it? haha=].

O.K. guys, I'm going to overclock some after I back up some stuff. Wish me luckij=]

Thanks for your posts, later!
GAIKIWARRIOR
Judge Death
i dont know it just does run with both on . i have other games were i have to turn off one cpu (toca 3) will not run on both but my bf2 does? when i got my AMD i was expecting no end of troubles with bf2 . but nothing happened??
slo5oh
+28|6663

GAIKIWARRIOR wrote:

i dont know it just does run with both on . i have other games were i have to turn off one cpu (toca 3) will not run on both but my bf2 does? when i got my AMD i was expecting no end of troubles with bf2 . but nothing happened??
There was some AMD dual core patch that some people ran (I never did).  Did you maybe, install it?  I have no idea what it was or how it worked.  I've always simply set affinity to disable 1 core for bf2.exe when playing or else I get "disconnected from server" for no reason.
GAIKIWARRIOR
Judge Death
yes i have installed the amd dual core optimiser but bf2 worked before i did it . i only installed it to get toca 3 working . on toca 3 i can do the world tour and simulation ,when i start a career the game ctd's even with cpu affinity set to 1

last night playing bf2 my cpu usage was at 50%-60% and my memory usage was at 400mb-500mb , execpt one time it crashed at a usage of 932mb
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6704|New York
LOL I didnt have time to read past the first 5 posts I was late to go out hunting. I did see his card was Locked at 2x, But i was responding mostly to the poster who said Without knowing crap about Processors, that His Opty was crap LOL. It got ME bent out of shape. I Just hate it when they Just post HEY YOU ***** Is CRAP and then Leave.
lendll
+16|6435
Hey guys:p
Well I successfully overclocked to 2.55 ghz(DDR 557 @1T), doing 12 hours straight on prime95 without an error. It seems that I can't clock higher than for now, because I either crash in quake 4 within 4 minutes, or get a "sumout" error in prime95 in less time.

I have this new problem. After 40 minutes or so of playing bf2, my frame rate starts acting funny. During this time, no matter where I am on the map, my fps would drop to 20~, then kick back up to normal. It kinda reminds me of how me cpu fan's speeds would kick up when the cpu is under heavy load, and turn back down when my computer's near idle. Only thing is, I don't know what's causing this. Otherwise, my fps is a *lot* better than what it used to be, even though I don't get 60+ fps all the time.

Anyone know what's causing my new fps problem? I might make a new thread if necessary but I'll see if I can get my help here first=]

Thank you for the help guys, and thanks especially for telling me to overclock!! Later:p

Last edited by lendll (2006-10-16 23:03:07)

slo5oh
+28|6663

lendll wrote:

Well I successfully overclocked to 2.55 ghz...Anyone know what's causing my new fps problem?
Get your VIDEO CARD working right!!!
You woudn't put geo metro tires on a Ferrari or ford GT-40.  If you're running your PCI-e at anything short of 8x you're SEVERELY bottlenecking your card.  sheesh!!!

That said... it sounds like you've got CnQ on... (that's cool 'n quiet).  It throttles your CPU down when it's not being used to conserve power and heat.
lendll
+16|6435
Thanks for your reply:p

slo5oh wrote:

lendll wrote:

Well I successfully overclocked to 2.55 ghz...Anyone know what's causing my new fps problem?
Get your VIDEO CARD working right!!!
You woudn't put geo metro tires on a Ferrari or ford GT-40.  If you're running your PCI-e at anything short of 8x you're SEVERELY bottlenecking your card.  sheesh!!!

That said... it sounds like you've got CnQ on... (that's cool 'n quiet).  It throttles your CPU down when it's not being used to conserve power and heat.
Ha, I'll get it working asap=] I checked my bios and I don't have CnQ on. I'm going to do a little more testing with oc'n, since I just installed my new Zalman 9500 hsf:D

Thanks for your help, later=]
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6584|SE London

slo5oh wrote:

#1 DO NOT LISTEN TO ALL THE MORONS TELLING YOU THAT YOUR CPU SUCKS!!!

Overclock it for sure learn how here Look for my post.

Before you even do that though.  Figure out why your video card is "running@ pci-x 2x right now" THAT'S WHAT IS HOLDING YOU BACK!!!  Granted that at 8x you won't fully saturate the bus since I'm getting over 100fps with my 7900gt and my board maxes out at 8x unless I go SLI, but at 2x you're seriously bottlenecking that card.

If you're going to be dumb and listen to these idiots by replacing your CPU I'll buy it from you (please PM the stepping first though).  The opteron 165s are the diamonds of the AMD 64 series.  I can also tell you that newegg has FX-55s for about $150.  Check fatwallet.
So true.
lendll
+16|6435

Bertster7 wrote:

slo5oh wrote:

#1 DO NOT LISTEN TO ALL THE MORONS TELLING YOU THAT YOUR CPU SUCKS!!!

Overclock it for sure learn how here Look for my post.

Before you even do that though.  Figure out why your video card is "running@ pci-x 2x right now" THAT'S WHAT IS HOLDING YOU BACK!!!  Granted that at 8x you won't fully saturate the bus since I'm getting over 100fps with my 7900gt and my board maxes out at 8x unless I go SLI, but at 2x you're seriously bottlenecking that card.

If you're going to be dumb and listen to these idiots by replacing your CPU I'll buy it from you (please PM the stepping first though).  The opteron 165s are the diamonds of the AMD 64 series.  I can also tell you that newegg has FX-55s for about $150.  Check fatwallet.
So true.
lol. I agree with him now that my opteron owns, but I'm not achieving the oc's I would like to see. I'm bout to hook up the system fans and see if that helps=] I don't think I got a good stepping, though. Oh well=]
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • 7800 gt, 20-40 fps avg on a full 64 player server. Why??

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard